Detroit Airport

Detroit Airport customer review

Detroit Metro Airport (DTW) has good bus connection via Michigan Flyer serving East Lansing Ann Arbor and Jackson MI were it not for the fact that Metro Airport management refuses to allow signing of the bus stop location at the terminal The Landside Director insists that signage must be restricted to concessionaires (taxi companies). The Michigan Flyer was forced to remove a diagram showing the bus stop location from its own website. Also the airport authority removed all written material regarding the Michigan Flyer service and bus stops from the traveler's aid desk. As a senior arriving after a 24 hour international journey I was unable to find any airport personnel who could direct me to the bus stop. Exhausted and loaded with my luggage I took a bad fall in my hurried attempt to find the bus stop. Finally a police officer directing parking traffic gave me directions. Although I should have had ample time had I known where to go I barely made the lengthy distance to the unmarked bus stop in time. This lack of proper signage is totally unacceptable and contrary to public interest and safety.

Detroit Airport customer review

DTW is the best airport I have visited. Have not experienced much delay in all the years that I have used it. Baggage claim was good. McNamara Terminal interior (I have used NW much) was excellent. Though the terminal is freakishly long (one mile) the walkways help ease walking. Customs was excellent (perhaps due to the fact that I am a US citizen). Oddly enough I have never used Dulles for international. My only complaint is that the security areas are compact and check-in can sometimes be inefficient.

Detroit Airport customer review

I have travelled through Detroit on several occasions. McNamara terminal is very neat courteous security and check in airline staff. Lots of shops and things to do before your flight. The new North terminal is a big improvement from the old terminals! The security isn't as precise as I imagined but they were very friendly and cracking jokes. The only complaint I have is I purchased a new expensive set of luggage only for it to come out with several tar footprints on it! My luggage has been destroyed in a sense I flew through Detroit just a couple weeks ago and it has more footprints on it! Well at least it got there! I will fly through Detroit again in the future!

Detroit Airport customer review

The immigration officials were a bit incompetent. Mostly due to lack of familiarity with computers. Airport facilities are fine and I had flown before through the airport. But immigration and customs are not like other US airports. I would avoid it if this is your port of entry because of this. Otherwise domestically it is fine.

Detroit Airport customer review

Arrival at McNamara Terminal from London on NWA was smooth and efficient. Uncharacteristically Immigration Officers were polite! Baggage was delivered promptly and transfer to onward NWA domestic flight was painless. A sports bar at the airport provides a haven for smokers! All in all an excellent experience.

Detroit Airport customer review

Nice airport easy directions. I arrived and departed at the Edward H. McNamara Terminal. Terminal was very clean and you found everything to eat or a quite area to read. Nice is the as well the Tram that you brings you easily from one end to the other. At Security you was asked in a very friendly why you are leaving and it was a smooth way from check in to the gate.

Detroit Airport customer review

I found Detroit airport to be an easy airport to get around in. I arrived at the Smith Terminal and found the check in at American Airlines very quick and easy. I saw the line for security and thought it would take forever but moved along quite quickly and left me with about two hours to go before my flight. There were limited amount of places to eat Quiznos was every where and not much else. You could get a beer for an inflated price.

Detroit Airport customer review

I have transited the DTW airport numerous times and found that it is a great facility. I arrived at gate 78 and my departure gate was gate 6 with 15 minutes to make the flight. Jumping on the tram made this easy and doable. Once you understand (it is easy) how to use the tram you can be in any part of Terminal A within minutes. If you have time there are a variety of place to eat that can fit any budget and many places to shop. There is an intriguing water/fountain feature in the middle of terminal where its fun just to people watch. The facility is clean with lots of bathrooms and really easy to get around.

Detroit Airport customer review

For BA passengers the new terminal is a vast improvement from the old terminal BA used (1 food outlet /1 shop (always closed). On arriving the immigration/customs queues were quite long and slow must have waited 30-40 minutes. Checkin and security flying out was painless. The terminal design is not for everyone a narrow mile long structure with gates on each side. Plus Points; Lots of space and seating plenty of eating places easy to navigate and very clean. Negative points: The choice of eating places depends on where you are. If you want to see whats on offer at each place you need to spend time and walk a lot. Shopping is quite limited. All in all a very good airport

Detroit Airport customer review

Having used both the McNamara and Smith terminals I find it safe to say that Detroit Metro is almost two different airports in terms of quality. The new McNamara terminal used by Northwest and its SkyTeam partners is a monumental improvement in terms of quality over that awful old Davey Terminal. Some distances can be long but unlike many airports of this size there are moving walkways (and the A concourse tram) the entire distance to your gate. The architecture though not entirely cutting-edge is very light and welcoming and the center mall area contains a wealth of dining and shopping. The Smith terminal (which serves all non-SkyTeam domestic airlines) on the north side of the airport is uncrowded but astonishingly dilapidated and depressing as some reviewers mention below. The new north terminal that is now being built will be a welcome relief from this antiquated and obsolete relic.