Detroit Airport

Detroit Airport customer review

My first connection flight thru Detroit. I sat business from Frankfurt so I was early off the plane to immigration. That part was handled virtually in 5 minutes. Very empty friendly staff - have seen that different in other US hubs. We had a delay ex Frankfurt I still managed my connection within less than 30 minutes between both flights. The facilities seemed to be ok. I had hardly any time to look around. Looks like an airport you can stand a layover.

Detroit Airport customer review

Nice and clean but whoever came up with the stupid parallel and long terminal design clearly lacked imagination and must have been a runner. I don't know why they thought having only 1 connecting tunnel between terminals was a good idea and then made the main terminal super long but I think it could have been better designed. Never had a chance to check out the retail since I am too busy trying to make the connection. All I can say is that if you are connecting from a large jet to a regional flight have at least 45-60 mins between connections.

Detroit Airport customer review

I connected for the first time in DTW with NWA. As previously mentioned the McNamara terminal is indeed VERY long. However it does have moving-steps and alas: its own metro system (with red trams like NWA's planes) - with tram stops along the way. Also the terminal is immaculately kept with a clean decor and floor to ceiling windows throughout. Add a wide array of dining and shopping options and you've got an award-winning product. Definitely better than ATL and even better than the pleasant Delta terminal in CVG.

Detroit Airport customer review

Detroit Airport is one of the most interesting airports. Uniquely long stretch from one end to the other very clean facilities good dining and interesting duty-free shops. I loved the fact that the airport has a tram that travels very quickly from one end to the other at the top corner of the building. However security staff are not friendly especially the immigration sector when travelling in and out of Detroit to Tokyo.

Detroit Airport customer review

Detroit Metro Airport (DTW) has good bus connection via Michigan Flyer serving East Lansing Ann Arbor and Jackson MI were it not for the fact that Metro Airport management refuses to allow signing of the bus stop location at the terminal The Landside Director insists that signage must be restricted to concessionaires (taxi companies). The Michigan Flyer was forced to remove a diagram showing the bus stop location from its own website. Also the airport authority removed all written material regarding the Michigan Flyer service and bus stops from the traveler's aid desk. As a senior arriving after a 24 hour international journey I was unable to find any airport personnel who could direct me to the bus stop. Exhausted and loaded with my luggage I took a bad fall in my hurried attempt to find the bus stop. Finally a police officer directing parking traffic gave me directions. Although I should have had ample time had I known where to go I barely made the lengthy distance to the unmarked bus stop in time. This lack of proper signage is totally unacceptable and contrary to public interest and safety.

Detroit Airport customer review

DTW is the best airport I have visited. Have not experienced much delay in all the years that I have used it. Baggage claim was good. McNamara Terminal interior (I have used NW much) was excellent. Though the terminal is freakishly long (one mile) the walkways help ease walking. Customs was excellent (perhaps due to the fact that I am a US citizen). Oddly enough I have never used Dulles for international. My only complaint is that the security areas are compact and check-in can sometimes be inefficient.

Detroit Airport customer review

I have travelled through Detroit on several occasions. McNamara terminal is very neat courteous security and check in airline staff. Lots of shops and things to do before your flight. The new North terminal is a big improvement from the old terminals! The security isn't as precise as I imagined but they were very friendly and cracking jokes. The only complaint I have is I purchased a new expensive set of luggage only for it to come out with several tar footprints on it! My luggage has been destroyed in a sense I flew through Detroit just a couple weeks ago and it has more footprints on it! Well at least it got there! I will fly through Detroit again in the future!

Detroit Airport customer review

The immigration officials were a bit incompetent. Mostly due to lack of familiarity with computers. Airport facilities are fine and I had flown before through the airport. But immigration and customs are not like other US airports. I would avoid it if this is your port of entry because of this. Otherwise domestically it is fine.

Detroit Airport customer review

Arrival at McNamara Terminal from London on NWA was smooth and efficient. Uncharacteristically Immigration Officers were polite! Baggage was delivered promptly and transfer to onward NWA domestic flight was painless. A sports bar at the airport provides a haven for smokers! All in all an excellent experience.

Detroit Airport customer review

Nice airport easy directions. I arrived and departed at the Edward H. McNamara Terminal. Terminal was very clean and you found everything to eat or a quite area to read. Nice is the as well the Tram that you brings you easily from one end to the other. At Security you was asked in a very friendly why you are leaving and it was a smooth way from check in to the gate.