Detroit Airport

"I really like this airport."

Trip Verified | Overall I really like this airport. Easy to get to and easy to navigate. However, I am traveling today and at the security checkpoint I encountered two especially nasty workers. One woman was taking the boarding passes and DL’s. She mumbled something and I was next in line. So I asked if I should come to her. She rolled her eyes and repeated “next in line” with a sarcastic tone. Why so nasty? I did nothing offense. The next worker was another woman telling people to take shoes off and stay with your belongings until they go on the conveyor to be x-rayed. She apparently was tired of saying take your shoes off, so she mumbled (loud enough for everyone to hear) “I am apparently just talking to myself”. While these incidents may not seem like a big deal, they do reflect on the airport and set the tone for people’s trips. If you don’t like your job find another.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"plenty of restaurants"

Trip Verified | It's a very modern airport that is ready for possible extensions. The tram in the McNamara terminal makes it very easy to move in the terminal. The airport is very spacious, enough seating and plenty of restaurants and shops. There is also free WiFi that works well.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"overpriced shopping mall"

Not Verified | Airport or overpriced shopping mall? I travel quite frequently for work and Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW) is one of the most ridiculous places I transit. This airport seems to consider itself some sort of luxury shopping experience instead of a place to board or change airplanes. Walking through the airport you will notice large selection of expensive name brand stores and high priced restaurants. You will also notice a sever lack of quick and useful concessions. I can't speak for all travelers, but I myself rarely have time during my 1 hour connection time to have a nice sit down dinner at PF Changs and then do some browsing at Swarovski Crystal. What I do have time for is to stop at a food concession that will have my order ready in a reasonable amount of time and maybe for a nice cup of coffee. Neither of these is a possibility at DTW. The severe lack of of basic food/beverage concessions is appalling. Any concession that would be considered "quick" is never quick in DTW. The biggest reason is because of the lack of options the lines at the "quick" places is often out the door and these places are generally understaffed. On example is the Starbucks located in the A terminal. There are 2 Starbucks for 76 gates, each staffed with 2 under motivated individuals. I have seen lines with over 20 people in them while not surprisingly the Hugo Boss store next door is completely empty. Detroit Airport needs to figure out its true purpose. The purpose of an airport is to provide paying passengers the opportunity to get a bite to eat and a coffee while attempting to make a connection that has most likely been reduced because of weather or some other reason. It is not to sell MAC cosmetics and running gear.
Date VisitJune 2018

"No help for the handicapped"

Not Verified | No help for the handicapped at this airport. The disaster started with a 40 minute wait for my arriving plane to get a gate for us to debark. In 60 years of flying, in airports all over the country, I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes for my plane to get a gate. Then finding that my connecting flight was in another building and I would "just have to go downstairs, through the tunnel and upstairs to the other gates," the gate clerk scoffed at me when I said that would take 40 minutes with my arthritic knees. He didn't offer transportation, I had to ask for it. Apparently there are no golf carts or trolleys for the mobility disabled at the airport, as there are in every other airport I've visited. He ordered a wheelchair, which took 20 minutes to arrive. In spite of everyone's assurances that I would make it, the plane left without me when I was only a gate and a half away. No one ever attempted to contact the departing gate to let them know that a crippled passenger was trying desperately to get there on time. Other than the wheelchairs, which are slow and take an inexcusable amount of time to arrive, this airport makes no attempt to accommodate mobility handicapped persons. There were no electric carts traveling the length of the interminably long tunnel between C and A terminals, and none that I could see at gate level either. Again, something I've seen in all but the smallest airports. This is not a place a mobility disabled person would want to travel through.
Date VisitMay 2018

"most dysfunctional airport"

Trip Verified | This is the most dysfunctional airport I have ever seen. I was just there to change planes. It is extremely time-consuming and difficult to navigate the 3 huge far-flung terminals with poor signage and no explanation of how to get from one to the other. I had to ask staff along the way or I would have wandered endlessly. I actually had to go through security a 2nd time that was located *inside a hotel* at the airport because the regular security was not operating. They also seem to have a rule against scanning luggage. My suitcase was *lost for 5 days* with no record of it ever being scanned by either airline I flew, so I thought it was lost at the point of origin. It was finally located at the *wrong airline* in Detroit (why they sat on it for 5 days, I'll never understand). It took a dozen phone calls and literally hours on hold to get the bag located and sent to a 4th airport (because I was no longer in the city where it was supposed to go.) There was one helpful woman at Detroit who tried and did help me, finally. If it weren't for her my bag would still be a mystery. Delta denied all responsibility but was required to reimburse my out-of-pocket expenses (my daughters having to buy changes of clothing.)
Date VisitApril 2018

"Avoid this airport at all costs"

Not Verified | Detroit airport is by far the worst airport I have ever been to. Not only are none of the flights on time but the gate for your flight will change at least once and flights are delayed by 1 or 2 hours. Avoid this airport at all costs. This is not an airport you want to experience.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"DTW is a grand airport"

Trip Verified | DTW is the unparalleled airport success of the Midwest. The McNamara Terminal is beautiful and architecturally stunning and always clean. There are multiple TSA queues, allowing for quick terminal access, even on international departures. Food options are really strong here (any airport with a Chick-Fil-A is worthy of an award), and as far as I could tell, the shopping options were solid. Gate seating is plentiful, and DTW is a grand airport.
Date VisitJune 2017

"their baggage claim is horrible"

I fly 2-3 times a year and every time I come into Detroit airport their baggage claim is horrible. It's the longest I have ever waited for baggage. Usually 35-45 min at least before the belt even starts moving. Just completely terrible. It's like they have only one person is working to unload luggage. The airport itself is fine but retrieving luggage is a 0 out of 10.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"baggage claim is horrible"

Verified Review | I fly 2-3 times a year and every time I come into Detroit airport their baggage claim is horrible. It's the longest wait I have ever waited for baggage. Usually 35-45 min at least before the belt even starts moving. Just completely terrible. It's like they have only one person is working to unload luggage. The airport itself is fine but retrieving luggage is a 0 out of 10
Date VisitNovember 2016

"cleaning services not doing their job"

The North Terminal of Detroit Airport is one of the worst maintained I have ever experienced. The bathrooms are filthy and in disrepair. Soap dispensers are often empty as well as paper towel dispensers. Toilets, well lets say you should use the facilities on the airplane rather than rely on the airport facilities. The ongoing lack of regular maintenance and general condition of this airport has been a problem since this terminal was constructed. Whoever the airport has contracted with to provide cleaning services is not doing their job.
Date VisitOctober 2016