Corfu Airport

Corfu Airport customer review

The arrivals/departure hall was obviously far too small for the volume of traffic. Large numbers of people had to wait in line outside the main departure hall in temperatures of 38C. Once inside found the departure hall to be total chaos. The staff points were rude and unhelpful even snatching the passports and tickets from our hands in an aggressive manner. The prices for food etc were a joke with the staff adopting a couldn't care less attitude. I will never book a holiday via this airport again - without doubt the worst we have used.

Corfu Airport customer review

There are good and bad points for CFU. The major change is the attitude of the staff - obviously the Greek economic crisis has made the staff worried about their jobs but they are not winning friends with a 'why are you coming to our airport' attitude . Still have to queue outside but the Thomson Airways staff did their best to minimise the hassle.

Corfu Airport customer review

Plenty of time to study Corfu Airport as we had a 6 hour delay for the return flight courtesy of easyJet. In some respects it has improved in the intervening period eg. more space in the departure lounge but in others it remains the same eg. rip-off prices for refreshments. Arrival was easy particularly since we were on hand luggage only and there were few other flights at that time. Departure seemed smooth enough too until the delay became apparent. We acted on the advice of previous correspondents and entered through Arrivals but in any case the check-in area was not too crowded. Seeing that the departure lounge had plenty of empty seats we went swiftly to security (short queues) and were through quite quickly. Our online paper boarding "cards" did seem to be a cause of some surprise though. We were quite impressed by the security staff who were both pleasant and efficient. I forgot to extract my liquids bag from my hand luggage: it was spotted on the scanner I was asked politely to open my bag and after the contents were inspected I was thanked. On our second passage through having had to go back to the landside restaurant for our free "light refreshments" the pencils my wife invariably carries in the top of her socks were spotted and investigated: no one else has ever noticed them on any of our trips abroad. The departure lounge did become crowded at times announcements were hard to hear - partly because of the combined noise of several hundred people but also because of the speed at which many of them were made - and the screens were less than informative or up-to-date. There seemed to be long queues at the food counter and if the prices we saw as we had our free refreshments in the restaurant were any indication the airport must be making a mint (each free pie + bottle of water would have cost 5 euros with a 1.50 euro cover charge on top). Predictably enough our spare unopened bottle of water handed out in the restaurant upstairs then had to be surrendered at security downstairs but the security lady was charming about it. When we returned to the departure lounge after our refreshments it was much quieter and there was room to spread out for the rest of our wait though the metal seats are scarcely comfortable. Also why are they in threes when so many passengers are in couples? Overall a mixture of pluses and minuses but I would give it 3 stars rather than 2 because of the surprisingly positive impression we gained of the security staff.

Corfu Airport customer review

For a busy holiday airport this has the worst departure lounge facilities we have experienced! If you are in need of refreshment as we were there is no cafe just a long queue to a buffet counter where you are ripped off! We had to pay over 15 Euro for two small lukewarm barely drinkable coffees a miniscule tooth breaking baguette and a soft drink. This was virtually thrown at us by two disinterested girls who probably would not understand the meaning of common courtesy or customer satisfaction. Only a couple of the monitors mounted from the ceiling were working - others broken or switched off and nothing like enough of the hard metal seats to accommodate the crowd of people who were waiting for flights when we were there. Toilet facilities are very poor which I would not like to elaborate on! I pity anyone who has to spend any length of time in this confined area.

Corfu Airport customer review

I agree with the comments by Phil McVey (12 August 2008); inbound the ground staff had great difficulties unloading the luggage containers from the A300 hence a wait of about 40 minutes and yes the tour reps are a menace but a fully laden trolley (if you find one) is a suitable weapon. Departing follow Phil's suggestion we got to the airport about 30 minutes before check in was scheduled to open were marshalled by a very helpful Monarch rep and checked in a few minutes. The departure area is small and there would not be enough seats if it was busy it is bright and cool. I've been to far worse airports - Gatwick springs to mind.

Corfu Airport customer review

Airport very busy but found arriving by hire car just as check in opened meant there were no queues. Check in took 5 mins stayed in upstairs cafe until 40 mins before departure time and walked straight through departures onto bus for aircraft. Plenty of staff around all went well and seemed well organised. Main issue is as others have said tour reps blocking the areas. All in all though a much better experience than expected.

Corfu Airport customer review

Agree with Sue Nicholas's comments re independent travellers and problems with tour reps. Here's what I have done last 5 years returning from golf holiday. Presume you are arriving by car or taxi. Time it so you arrive just about start of your check in. Don't drop off or go direct to departures from the road but go inside via the arrivals section and walk through to departure thus bypassing all the reps and crowds outside. Normally at most airports arrival and departure are separated but not at Corfu.

Corfu Airport customer review

My wife and I have experienced Corfu airport on more than one occasion and although it seems small for the amount of passengers it handles I can honestly say that no real problems have as yet been encountered. We were once delayed upon departure for four hours (nothing to do with security checks and queues elsewhere) while a problem with our outbound flight was resolved. The aircraft was a B767-300 for anyone interested. Because of this they allowed us outside where a huge amount of chairs had been arranged under canvas to keep the hot sun off (30 degrees). This reduced congestion inside the building. We went back in with an hour to go and eventually departed Corfu. Great flight good crew and no complaints worthy of note. Problems happen with aircraft and I'm always happy to wait for the right people to fix them!

Corfu Airport customer review

Having been a frequent visitor to the island over the past ten years I can confirm that the airport has gone from unorganised chaos to organised chaos! It is fair to say that the staff and management at the airport have done a lot to get their act together but still seem to do things the greek way and to greek time. The new system of checking into receive boarding passes and then taking your cases to the end of the check in desk for scanning does seem to be speeding up the queues but i still have to ask why they have to make this a separate procedure? On my visit in July the new check in system worked so well that the queue for passport control was now snaking twice round all the way back out of the terminal and back in and up to the one security guard checking passports. Two Guards would have made this easier and faster but then how would the hand baggage scanners keep up? The Airport have to build in delays somewhere along the chain and make passengers queue somewhere along the line otherwise they just would not cope with the demand and the whole process would just collapse! The Airport does not help matters when it herds all non domestic passengers through one end of the terminal leaving the other end of the terminal that is used for internal flights empty. They could also scan luggage once it has been checked in. As for the tour operators? I know most seem to work to a Monday/Friday system but i think some also go on Tuesdays. We have to share the airport with other tour operators from other countries like Germany and the airport has allocated other days of the week to them otherwise it would never cope. I think the thing that frustrates us all is why three or four planes from the UK arrive within the hour and snarl up the arrivals system? The baggage reclaim hall is tiny with only two carousels. Everyone is also too impatient when arriving into the hall to reclaim their baggage! When you arrive in the hall just relax and take your time! Use the toilet find a trolley or make contact with your holiday rep in arrivals or collect your hire car. Corfu is not like our airports and you can wander freely into the arrivals hall at any time to sort out what you need to. It always amuses to see a plane load of passengers jostling for position at the carousel and then waiting half an hour for the belt to spring into life. The Greeks do not rush and they certainly don't worry about a hall full of impatient passengers!

Corfu Airport customer review

The previous comments are all spot on - but on rare days it can work like a dream. Returned from Aghios Gordios Friday Aug 10th at 11 pm for a 01:00am flight to East Midlands. Disembarked the minibus at 23:45 check in desk open luggage straight into scanners and through passport control by midnight and on the plane around 00:30 ready for take-off. Meanwhile passengers for other destinations were queuing as described though I spotted that new sheltered seating had been provided outside since I was last there. I dread to think what it could have been like had the visitor numbers not been so visibly down since my last visit. The local taverna owners all commented on it. I've come to expect to be patient waiting for luggage on the way into Corfu but much worse are the queues for departures when you're tired and a bit fed up at the thought of going home at all! The worst part of the trip was the flight home on the most uncomfortable plane I've ever been in. Corfu Airport is a lovely little airport and I have to agree it surely would work so much better if the holiday companies managed their collection of travellers from resorts with more regard for the airport's handling facilities and staggered their arrivals and departures better through the week.