Corfu Airport

"a complete shambles"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | The organisation of the airport, or lack of it, is a complete shambles. I arrived two and a half hours before my flight and was travelling on my own with my 4 month old baby. After checking in our luggage we were directed to the back of an enormous queue which we were in, along with many other children, elderly people and pregnant women, with no seating, for almost an hour and a half. A queue barger tried to push into the queue in front of dozens of people, and caused a massive altercation which resulted in two men pushing each other, a lot of shouting and in the end I intervened with my baby's pushchair. No security staff were to be seen and the police office was shut. When we finally got through to departures, there were no seats, I was not allowed to use the lift to get the pushchair out of the departure lounge onto the tarmac, but had to be helped by a kind fellow passenger who carried the buggy down a flight of steps for me. There is no provision for the airport's most vulnerable passengers, and if I wasn't from Corfu, I would not return. Worst airport experience of my life. I'm dreading repeating the journey in a few weeks. Fraport you are a disgrace.
Date VisitJune 2019

"airport is absolute mayhem"

Not Verified | This airport is absolute mayhem but put that to the side as it seems to be well known however it seems to me that some elements of the staff also bring the airport into disrepute. We arrived and checked in, lovely lady helped us whilst we all waited for the luggage belts to work and then we proceeded to departures. There was a laid out queuing system suitable for the busiest day at Disneyland but the good news for us as stragglers was that everybody had gone through so rather than walk the empty yellow brick road my family ducked under the tape to be greeted by a loud no you must go to through the queue. Why, we asked, It’s the rules was the response from somebody I can only describe as a slob who then backed up his comment with “you wouldn’t do it in your country”. To which I said “we would and our airport staff would be friendly and courteous unlike you”. He then went to the bag scanner and asked his friend to search my luggage - unfortunately for him he chose my wife’s who is a Greek Spartan and she gave them all a good Greek row. The next issue was immigration. A young policeman was looking through each of our passports (5) confused. I worked out that he couldn’t find a Corfu entry stamp. But we arrived in your capital city Athens. Nope he went off to see one manager, then another and was still unhappy. I explained to him we arrived on a big plane in a big Greek city at which point my wife took over gave him a dressing down and he sullenly stamped 5 passports whilst holding up people who by now had arrived. Staff training and in some areas a boot up the backside is called for.
Date VisitJune 2019

"Endless queues to enter the terminal"

Not Verified | Appalling chaos on June 24th AM as hundreds of travellers tried to check in. Endless queues to enter the terminal, mostly in hot sun, then long snakes for check in, security etc. Very few facilities inside. No proper organisation, reps were harassed and unable to give clear advice since there was simply not enough space to accommodate the people. Will not be returning to Corfu until there are assurances about airport efficiency. Incidentally the locallly based reps I spoke with don’t believe that the new terminal will be ready for next year or the year after.
Date VisitJune 2019

"It's almost as if they don't want tourists"

Not Verified | Having visited Corfu for a number of years now, we are aware of the shambles this airport is. However the departure this latest visit must be the worst experience of all. Having arrived three hours before departure time we were left queuing outside for an hour and a half in the heat along with hundreds of other passengers, some with small children. When we eventually made it inside to check in it was no better there, airline staff telling us to queue at certain desks and then airport staff sending us to different ones, and then the huge snaking queue for security! It took so long to negotiate the check in and security we had to go straight to boarding our plane. This has seriously made us wonder if we will ever return to this beautiful island, the supposed improvements to the airport have been going on for years now and don't appear any nearer to completion. It's almost as if they don't want tourists and is very sad for the many people who depend on visitors coming.
Date VisitJune 2019

"we were let down by Corfu airport"

Trip Verified | Went to Corfu for a holiday. Inbound to Corfu airport was a waste of time. 3 airplanes arrived in front of us so there was a very long queue for security. Three booths were being used and all booths were really slow. It took us at least 45 minutes to reach Security, waiting in the hot sun, before we went through to collect our baggage. The baggage collection took a long time as well. We waited another 15/20 minutes for our cases (x2). Outbound from Corfu airport we waited over an hour before we could check-in (BA flight), queued for 25 minutes. We then joined the snake queue for security, we shuffled for over an hour, our boarding was due in 20 minutes, and staff opened the guideropes and let other passengers in front of us, who were on our flight as well. When we reached Security it was all a rush job, ipads being thrown, loose change everywhere, the skips were being pushed through the scanner. We managed to pass Security and queue for the boarding of our plane, which was held for 1.5 hours as well. After a brilliant, lovely holiday at Ikos, we were let down by Corfu airport. Staff were hopeless, no seats, no food, lots of heat, a disaster.
Date VisitJune 2019

"to put it out of its cover"

(Slovakia)

Not Verified | We put our electronic devices to separate box during control but officer want from us to put it out of its cover. It was camera and drone so very expensive and vulnerable things! Even on bigger airports they never ask me to put it out from cover and it could stays there. Absolutly nonsense from airport staff.
Date VisitJune 2019

"Worst ever seen this airport"

Not Verified | 2.5 hours queuing to check in as baggage belt kept breaking down. 5-6 Tui full flights trying to check in at same time. Worst ever seen this airport. If travelling through it on a Friday (cruise arrival/departure day) advise taking food and water for queue as you won't spend any time in departure lounge. We still in check in queue when final boarding announcements made, then sat on plane for 55min waiting for others

"no organisation"

Trip Verified | I can give an honest review from before and during renovation work! Ok so it’s a small airport, it’s Greece, it’s May. Should be no issue with only 3 flights to check in! How wrong can you be? On arrival before we got off the coach we could see a queue as far as the eye could see outside the airport. A TUI rep then got on and told us there was no room in the airport for us so all flights London, Aberdeen and Manchester were to queue outside until check in opened. So as it was late we were cool outside but others had had to do this in heat of the day! No help or seats for children or elderly. We got through to the all the checking in, security and queues with only 10 mins to board our flight. It took that long! In short, no organisation, lack of seating everywhere, lack of assistance and wheelchairs, rude unfriendly staff. It was just as bad 3 years ago. Yes it’s becoming more modern and up to date but it’s still an horrendous experience. God help you if this is in May first week of holiday season, it’s quiet. This airport will stop people returning and effect the island.
Date VisitMay 2019

"airport is in total disruption"

Not Verified | The airport is in total disruption. Customer service and customer priority are unavailable at this airport. There is no information desk and only basic old screens to update flights. I waited over 4 hours for a flight yesterday / this morning. There was no-one to ask for information only other people who were seeing the updates on their phone! The flight was delayed 4 hours. The airport is in such a mess with building work totally uncompleted.

"Everyone is complaining"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | I am travelling today with my 90 year old aunt, my 5 year old son and my husband. I recently had an ankle sprained so this is my second week walking after a month that I was not walking at all. We arrive at the airport at 15.30 and the check in is still closed as our flight is at 18.00. We are searching for chairs to sit - none! There were no seats at all in the whole airport before you pass through control. I went to Aegean Airlines desk and informed them of the situation, the reply was "We are not responsible, it is the airports fault". No effort to help! I asked for the wheelchair for my aunt as we had requested wheelchair assistance in advance and they brought me a broken wheelchair. The trolleys to carry luggage were not working properly and when finally the check in opened, no effort at all to prooritize us. Again they said this is the fault of the airport. We were greatly dissapointed not only by the luck of basic assistance for the people that are unable to walk, the lack of chairs but also by the ironic behaviour of Aegean staff who made no effort at all to help. I must say that this is the first time this happens to us in Greece and that other airports are being renovated at the moment such as Chania but there is no comparison! The service was impeccable so they cannot use as an excuse the renovation. At the moment we are in front of the gate and half of the travellers don't have anywhere to sit. The flight is full (170 passengers) and at the gate there are no more than 100 seats! Everyone is complaining!
Date VisitApril 2019