Colombo Airport

Colombo Airport customer review

I must have been lucky because both arrival and departure on a recent trip to Colombo was very smooth. New procedures have been introduced to monitor swine flu with immigration officials sporting white masks - as soon as you pass through to arrivals all the locals are sneezing without any care! The security checks are still very much in evidence and with a constant military cordon around the airport. I was though able to be picked up and dropped off directly outside the terminal building. The airport has recently been modernised and has the benefit of the usual shops and restaurants - what I didn't like was the fact that the toilet attendants hover and expect tips and that once through the final security checks there is no access to the toilets from the gate area. Annoyingly because of the archaic Sri Lankan currency regulations everything is priced in $US

Colombo Airport customer review

I flew to CMB from Doha and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the airport. I was through immigration and out of the airport in less than 30 minutes. The touts are numerous and best avoided. Outbound check-in area was nice and spacious. The duty free shops and restaurants are plentiful and toilet facilities clean. Overall CMB is a small yet modern airport.

Colombo Airport customer review

Colombo Airport now has plenty of shops at the departure and arrival lounge. BIA needs more expansion and an expressway is underway.

Colombo Airport customer review

Well the nightmare described by a contributor below has not improved - far from it. Somewhere within the mad bureaucracy a new scheme has been devised for departing passengers. You may now not be driven to the airport terminal by friends/associates. Instead they must drop you off about 500 metres ahead of the terminal where you are transferred to a rickety bus without A/C. How this is supposed to improve security (the officially stated reason) is beyond me - but it does provide additional income for touts who pounce on passenger's luggage and lift it into the buses. On the upside arrivals are quite smooth but that is to be expected at an airport with hardly any traffic worth mentioning.

Colombo Airport customer review

The inbound is OK but be prepared for a total nightmare on leaving the country. Before you arrive at the airport you join a long bus queue to have your Passport checked. Then you disembark the coach and are met with a huge throng of friends and relatives seeing off one person. Then your ticket and passport is checked again before you get into the building. 10 feet further in all your luggage goes through X-ray scanners and you are subjected to a full personal body frisk. And I do mean full. Genital areas too. These soldiers are also wearing filthy gloves that have done the same thing to hundreds of others before you. Absolutely disgusting. Then you will probably have to open your case because none of the young soldiers/airmen know what simple equipment is. A camera battery for example. In a camera. I even had a Cuban cigar taken out of its tube and handled. All the time you are holding up the queus of people behind you. Then it's off to the check in desks down a short corridor to another ticket check point and luggage check. All this before you have even got to check in. I totally agree with Andrew here. I've travelled through most of the airports in the world and I have never ever seen one as bad as this. It makes Homeland Security look like amateurs. It's a fairly nice country but nobody has any idea of what they are doing.

Colombo Airport customer review

Modern construction and airbridges good shopping in departure including souvenirs garments tea etc. Plenty of seats and restaurants. Plenty of check-in counters and baggage carousels for collection. Taxi and forex conversion counters in arrivals. Immigration very slow and careless and not very co-operative or friendly immigration staff. My passport was stamped with the previous day's date when my flight arrived at 4AM the staff were so callous not to even bother changing the date on the stamp!

Colombo Airport customer review

New terminal building is a vast improvement on the old once. Good facilities air bridges and a reasonable number of shops. Immigration can be slow (as with many things in Sri Lanka). Leave plenty of time to get through security and immigration when leaving Colombo. There is only one ATM (cash machine) at the airport. On the day of my arrival it was out of order. So take some cash or travellers cheques. There are plenty of banks just outside the arrivals hall where you can change to Sri Lankan rupees. If you need a local SIM there is a Dialog shop just after the banks (near the hotel stands on the left). A local SIM costs Rs 1600 with Rs 1000 credit). Activation takes 2-3 hours.

Colombo Airport customer review

What a dreadful experience! Heathrow/Colombo/Bangkok and return. The outbound wasn't too bad but that was probably due to the arrival time of our flight at Colombo the immigration process took about 40 minutes but the return was a nightmare. Our flight arrived at about 1000pm and seemed to coincide with the arrival of several other flights - six or seven hundred passengers at immigration and about twelve desks but only four were being used that's about 150 passengers per desk after queing for over an hour the immigration official serving the queue that we were waiting in decided that he had had enough and cleared off - we were then told to join the back of one of other three queues. Another hour and a half wait and it was our turn my wife got processed but when it came to my turn the official decided that he was thirsty and was going for a drink. I tried telling the official that we were together but that fell on deaf ears and again we were told to join the back of one of the two remaining queues. Pandemonium broke loose airport security then stepped in and began screaming at passengers - almost immediately two more desks were opened but that just made matters worse. Never again. The security people were treating the passengers as though we were animals I appreciate that there are big security issues in Sri Lanka but our experience was totally unacceptable.

Colombo Airport customer review

The airport is clean and modern duty free shops are good and the staff polite and helpful. Check-in takes a lot of time due to the many security checks.