Colombo Airport

Colombo Airport customer review

We travelled from Colombo to Abu Dhabi yesterday. On arriving at the airport we were asked for our details and why we had visited Sri Lanka etc and we were pleased with the security in force on entrance to the Airport. However once through to check in this turned into a nightmare. It was nothing but unorganised chaos. We could not check in on arrival maybe we were too early no reason given and we could not understand what was called out and information given on the airport tannoy system could not be understood or even heard. Volume was far too low. People checking in after us were not forming queues but were cluttering up the area and making it impossible for people to check in easily when their flight was called. We have travelled all over the world first time to Colombo and the lack of organisation or any queuing system made it the worst checking in experience ever. It was not until a lady joined the officials on duty that any progress for checking in was made. We were at this airport for 4.5 hours and found it to be the worst system in the world. Once through this area to check in baggage it was acceptable.

Colombo Airport customer review

My worst airport experience in more than 2 decades of frequent travelling! First of all all vehicles approaching the airport are stopped by a guard who exercises a "face-control" - looks at the passenger and asks him his nationality. Any credible answer seems to be accepted since no documents are verified - I repeated 3times mine but the guard had never heard of such an exotic country called Greece - but let me through! At the entrance of the terminal queue for luggage screening -once inside 60 minutes queue for check-in then the gate changes 3 times! What is the point of having recently revamped the shopping area ?

Colombo Airport customer review

It has got its act together pretty well I think. Everything clean in the terminal. Business lounge okay staff great. Don't change much money here as not a good rate. Check in a bit chaotic but not bad. Good onward travel to Colombo Kandy (by taxi not tuk-tuk!)

Colombo Airport customer review

A pleasant surprise the airport now has air bridges connected to a modern pier. This in turn leads to the first floor of an expanded main terminal in which arriving / departing passengers mix freely. There were several immigration desks open even though it was 3.30am and I was processed quickly and efficiently. Baggage reclaim took a long time - bags were added to the carousel painfully slowly and it took about 45 minutes to recover my two suitcases. Once through customs there were several currency exchanges - don't bother comparing rates they're all the same! Departure on the 14th – nothing much has changed since I was last here. The drop off zone is small and chaotic with passengers having to (try to) queue up outside to get through the limited number of security / baggage screening lanes immediately inside. Once through security and into the terminal things are a lot more efficient although CMB remains one of those peculiar airports where the check in area is partitioned off from the rest of the departures hall and passengers are not allowed to proceed until the check in desks for their flights open. Fortunately there was sufficient seating while I waited. Once checked in and through emigration the airside section was spacious and comfortable if somewhat eccentrically laid out. For the most part the airport is by the standards of developing countries clean efficient and pleasant - I've been through worse airports in wealthier countries.

Colombo Airport customer review

Fairly smooth arrival and departure both in the middle of the night. Found a functioning ATM which worked and the arrivals info desk arranged a prepaid taxi for us. We took a local bus late at night for our departure; it left everyone off several hundred meters away as is standard. Grimy wait for departures to open. Can anyone tell me why they sell appliances in duty free?

(Spain)

My wife and I visited Sri Lanka 12 in January 2010 and found the airport generally very good on all counts apart from a large cafeteria type restaurant in the departure lounge which served some of the worst coffee I have had for a long time.

Colombo Airport customer review

Used this airport for departure on 30 Jan with a flight at midnight. What a zoo! Far too few entrance doors for the large number of pax to even get inside the terminal. Immigration a discrace for a country trying to attract tourists - with three or four wide-bodied flights departing around the same time only six immigration desk were open. Next organizational gaffe: CX and EK departures scheduled within 10 minutes of each other from neighbouring gates 8 and 9 with a shared security checkpoint. Our flight delayed by more than one hour due to this horrendous circus.

Colombo Airport customer review

Small modern clean airport. Has a fair amount of shops for its size slightly overpriced however not the ideal airport for a transit more than 1-3 hours. Take use of their stopover package which allows you to go out to spend time at the beach or to explore Colombo city though I think its available only for SriLankan Airlines passengers. Overall nice airport has the potential for so much more.

Colombo Airport customer review

I use Colombo often as transit airport Frankfurt-Singapore and cannot say anything bad. Airport is overall clean easy to find the ways and gates restaurant area is ok the transit desk is working well.

Colombo Airport customer review

I must have been lucky because both arrival and departure on a recent trip to Colombo was very smooth. New procedures have been introduced to monitor swine flu with immigration officials sporting white masks - as soon as you pass through to arrivals all the locals are sneezing without any care! The security checks are still very much in evidence and with a constant military cordon around the airport. I was though able to be picked up and dropped off directly outside the terminal building. The airport has recently been modernised and has the benefit of the usual shops and restaurants - what I didn't like was the fact that the toilet attendants hover and expect tips and that once through the final security checks there is no access to the toilets from the gate area. Annoyingly because of the archaic Sri Lankan currency regulations everything is priced in $US