Cluj-napoca Airport

"I want to make a complaint"

Not Verified | I want to make a complaint but cannot find the page for the 'security department' I understand security and comply to the rules. I packed my bags accordingly. The scenario is: I have some impatient traveller behind me pressing and looking instead of waiting in the queue where you have to get your items (laptop, etc.) out of your bag. My bag is packed accordingly to make it as fast as possible. Now this person stands behind me getting closer and closer. While the 'buckets' proceed through the scanner she is standing even closer to the tube than me waiting impatiently for hers. In order to grab as fast as possible as I can to make room and trying not to be in the way I seem to be too fast in grabbing the boxes where my items are in. Then I am kind of 'pulled' test and harshly asked if that is mine. The woman from security talks to me. because of the noise, i turn towards her indicating I do not understand since it is too loud. I am asked if i speak English. I confirm I do. Again she says something but with the noise I cannot understand apart from something with the luggage. She stands ups comes over and pulls a white paper strip to investigate the bag. Fine with me - happened in Stuttgart too where they told me very politely they have to do a test. Opposed to Stuttgart she rips out all the electronic cables, finds a device (usb hub) and asks me again if this is mine. I confirm. Once the procedure is over I am hesitant to pick up anything, Still what she says I do not understand. She asks again if I speak English, I confirm again. She asks her colleague to tell me I can grab my stuff now. Thank you, maybe you should have put that woman behind me into that procedure to prevent her to get too close to the next customer so that they don't feel they are in a rush since this obviously triggered that.But this kind of behaviour of security personnel I will not accept. Still trying to find the complaint page. I very much appreciated the attitude of her colleague to tell me what she could not. Apart from that, the airport is clean, toilets as well. The gates situation is kind of tight that's correct but well it is kind of a smaller airport in comparison. Note the rating is for the security personnel - there I rate 2 The rest is fine for me so that would be an 8.
Date VisitMay 2018

"not very hygienic"

(Romania)

Not Verified | They keep the garbage bins near the cafeteria seats, which brings to many flies at the tables. It is not very hygienic and slightly disgusting. They could separate the areas at least.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"gate assignment was chaotic"

Trip Verified | Let's start with the good things: the new busses (Cobus.de) to the planes are great. Spacious and airconditioned. The staff at the airport were friendly, both at security and at customs. Short handling times. But this can not make up for terminal B: the hellhole. A hall of approx. 20x50 meters filled with 1000+ passengers. Why on earth do they plan 4 flights to depart within 20 minutes when they have only 20 departures a day? The noise was deafening. Fortunately I was here on a cool day. In summer it will be killing. Terminal B had more resemblance to a refugee camp than an airport terminal. Gate assignment was chaotic with the resulting moving of masses of people. I will do anything to prevent ever coming back to this place.
Date VisitJune 2018

"uncivilized boarding procedure"

(Romania)

Trip Verified | Horrible ground services, terrible departure terminal building, ridiculous small and expensive parking. Extreme cold in the winter in departing terminal due to the continuous door openings and bad building design. Totally disorganized and uncivilized boarding procedure, hectic lines, primitive busses, didn’t see anywhere something similar. Sometimes security check is slow with very long lines. Try to avoid this airport if possible.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"Ground services are just terrible"

(Romania)

Verified Review | Although this is my home airport, I must say, indeed it has one of the worst services I have ever experienced and whenever I use this airport (several times per year), it never seemed to pleasantly surprise me. Cluj-Napoca Avram Iancu International Airport, which is its official name, has grown over the last few years from handling a few hundred thousand passengers to more than 1.5 million a year. There are 4 international boarding gates (doors rather) with in 4-5 meters of each other and all the passengers are crammed into a hallway which is way too small. This is especially problematic early in the morning and later in the afternoon, when the low cost airlines operating from this airport have their flights all within 5-15 minutes of each other. Ground services are just terrible. There are 8 passport check kiosks, however I have never seen more than 5-6 open in my life. No matter how many planes land at once, no matter that the end of the queue is on the tarmac, outside of the building. There are two baggage belts, yet somehow the ground crew still manages to place your bag on the wrong one. All in all, just terrible services offered by an overcrowded airport. Hope some investments are made in the future to provide travelers with a better experience.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"Bags arrived quickly"

Unverified | Arrived 23rd July with Wizz from Bratislava and returned 30th. Small but busy airport. Immigration was quite conjested but moved relatively quickly. Bags arrived quickly. Departure process no problem including security who were quite courteous. Some Duty Free shops don't accept local currency (only accepted Euros) so couldn't spend remaining currency which we were carrying. Generally speaking our experience at Cluj-napoca was pleasant enough with no complaints.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"small airport for its growing reputation"

Verified Review | Overall, Cluj-Napoca is a small airport for its growing reputation. Paid extra for priority boarding and got no seats on the bus from the airport to the plane. This is unacceptable as people who did not pay got more seats than people who actually paid. People do not want to be standing in a bus where there is a constant smell of petrol.
Date VisitMay 2017

"too much traffic and very little space"

(Romania)

Verified Review | Cluj-Napoca "Avram Iancu" International Airport was designed to handle 2 million passengers annually and when writing this review it handled about 1.5 million, which in itself shouldn't be the problem, however most flights leave and arrive around the same time slots. 6 a.m. is absolutely chaotic and so is 11 a.m. and then again later in the afternoon at around 5-6 p.m. There are only 4 boarding gates within a terminal that's about 200 meters long. There are not enough seats and more often than not, not even enough room for all the passengers standing up. The departures terminal gets awfully crowded. On arrival, there are 3 security booths with 2 security officers each, however never ever have I seen more than 4 officers working at once. When 2-3 planes land the queue sometimes flows outside of the building and you can expect waiting times of well over 30-45 minutes. Which might as well, because your bag won't be delivered sooner anyway, even if you do manage to clear security in record time. And when your bag arrives, it might be on the wrong bag delivery carousel, even though there are only two in total. Parking here is a total disaster. All of the places are full all of the time. Public transport is only a bus which carries you to the city center. No tram, no metro. Taxis are available and usually alright. All in all a very small airport with way too much traffic and very little space.
Date VisitApril 2017

Cluj-napoca Airport customer review

(South Africa)

Cluj Airport is getting better all the time. It is a fairly small airport but it is clean efficient and fairly pleasant. Expect long queues at security checks as Romanian authorities are very strict about this but staff are fine and helpful. Passport control is not a problem leaving and hardly one arriving. I have through passed Cluj Airport several times and never queued more than 10 minutes (even late at night on arrival from Munich). The duty free is small and not that interesting price wise two little overpriced cafés in the departure hall and in the international departure lounge. Domestic departure lounge is a bit small but domestic flights are only served by ATR planes. On arrival taxis are safe just walk to the official taxi rank and do not follow anyone asking you in the arrival hall - price is around 30/35 lei into town (7/8 euros). A very decent airport.

Cluj-napoca Airport customer review

Things are improving rapidly since the last review. New terminals open and a lot more space but still a bit chaotic at times. WizzAir have introduced several new routes since they opened a base here. Beware: that the airport website is not providing real time arrivals and departures information. Beware: some over priced cowboy taxis are still lurking near the terminal. Best use the frequent and cheap bus service to City Center on main road outside the airport terminal. All in all an up and coming airport serving a vibrant city.