Chicago O'Hare Airport

"Worst experience ever"

Not Verified | Worst experience ever. First I was stopped at customs for about 30 minutes while all my bags were emptied and searched. Then i was forced to unlock my phone so it could be searched. I was asked rude and invasive questions during the searches. When i asked why my phone was being searched i was told it was "random extra searching." Finally finished that and was given bad directions by an airport official for transferring terminals. This led me to exit and enter security again which was painfully slow. After getting through security I learned that i was again at the wrong terminal (i was too early for my flight to be posted and both security and airline officials directed me to the wrong terminal.) I was in Beijing, Manila, Phnom Penh, and Macau airports this trip and was shocked to see how much more run down and inefficient O'Hare was compared to all of those. I will never transfer through Chicago again. Good luck to you if you decide to.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"It's been like this for years"

Not Verified | Why do none of the power outlets at the changing stations ever work. It's been like this for years, I travel for a living and dread getting delayed here with no way to power my phone or laptop, avoid all connections from this dump.

"beyond disappointing TSA"

Trip Verified | Unprofessional, rude, beyond disappointing TSA. How do these people have a job? TSA agents were rude from start to finish. Screamed at travelers in line to get in a different line in the rudest way possible! Laughed at people in line etc. I was disgusted.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"Rude, aggressive, apathetic staff"

Not Verified | It’s been several visits to O’Hare. Rude, aggressive, apathetic staff and TSA agents. People who are clearly irritated working with the public and want you to know. From the TSA ID reader at security checkpoint 7 near American Airlines in Terminal 3 who wants you to extend your left arm to place your phone on the reader but not move your body at all, and when you accidentally do, becomes angry and tells you how unhappy he is b/c people don’t listen, or the other agent who doesn’t explain how to place your bag on the roller but is very disappointed in your actions by yelling, “Do not push!” I get it. You hate me, you hate people, and you hate your job. I have traveled back with students from abroad to be greeted with angry agents who separated my students from me, sending them to separate security checkpoints, and rushed us so fast through lines my kids kept screwing up. TSA didn’t care. Kids were crying and the anxiety spiked. They still did not care. If you want to feel worse about your existence, go to O’Hare. They will let you know through their tones, angry looks, and aggressive actions. Something needs to change.

"complete incompetence"

Trip Verified | Absolutely terrible experience at Chicago O’Hare. I had just finished flying 15 hours from Dubai where I was greeted with a very rude and unhelpful airport staff. I then had to wait in line for over 2 hours for shuttle bus to get to the terminal for my connecting flight (some of which included standing outside in 38 degree weather). I had given myself 4 hours between flights and still barely made it to my gate on time. I got there as they were boarding. I heard so many people say that they were going to miss their flights because of this complete incompetence. Unacceptable.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"inefficient, rude and unhelpful people"

Not Verified | Worst experience ever returning home after a 25 hour flight from Thailand. Made it through the kiosks and stood in line for 30 minutes getting closer to our turn when we were redirected to another section of kiosks - I asked why we were redirected and the girl started saying it wasn’t her fault and she didn’t know. Now I found myself standing in an even longer line. I’ve never experienced such inefficient, rude and unhelpful people at O’Hare in my life. I also don’t understand why us citizens and green card holders are in the same lines as visitors. Used to be a breeze getting through customs - not any more!
Date VisitNovember 2018

"made me feel unsafe and violated"

Not Verified | My first time traveling internationally. The TSA that went through my luggage were completely unprofessional, condescending, rude, and disrespectful. He said "it's not my fault you don't know how to read signs and you are traveling" (after I told him I wasn't sure I was in the right place and needed guidance for my first time traveling internationally). I am Human Resource Manager, I am so disappointed in the verbal treatment from this male TSA. I understand they have a job to do. It does not include verbally abusing paying travelers. We are all tired and stressed (airport staff / travelers). In any other United States job this gentlemen would have either been terminated or severely disciplined. He made me feel unsafe and violated.

"it was okay overall"

Trip Verified | I was flying in to Minneapolis from Hong Kong, and having chosen United, needed to pass transit at either Chicago or San Francisco- seeing as he overall travel time would be shorter via Chicago, I opted for them. Despite most people I know telling me that O’Hare is awful, I thought it was okay overall - in fact, I found them quite efficient. I arrived in a Chicago on a Thursday. Being Canadian, I was able to breeze past immigration through their automated clearance system, and got through in 10 minutes. The immigration officer had a serious expression, and waved me through really quickly. My bags arrived shortly after I reached he reclaim area. Seeing as my flight arrived 2 hours early, I tried to get switched to the earlier flight, and after the United ground staff dealt dealt with the frustratingly lengthy process of rebooking my flight, she was able to land me a seat on the flight and helped me ensure that my bag would be checked in to that flight despite there only being a one hour window to departure. This also meant that I needed to rush to Terminal 1 from the international terminal. Rushing to Terminal 1 is normally easy, seeing as they have that automated people mover, but it’s undergoing long-term maintenance/being rebuilt in sections, so it’s closed on weekdays. This meant that I was at the mercy of the shuttle bus, which was obviously slower to board and arrive, due to the very peculiar traffic design between terminals. There was this one intersection that allowed one bus through at a time and took close to 10 minutes to clear. Despite all that rushing, I was still able to get to my flight in time, partly due to their speedy TSA crew that in dealing with the backlog decided that’s passengers could go through with their shoes on. My flight back from Minneapolis occurred without a hitch, though arriving with a 3 hour layover gave me a chance to really soak up the architecture and movie filming locations in the 3 main terminals. I probably could’ve also tried their dining, but alas, I have not. When it comes to waiting for flights, the seats at Terminal 1 are old, but adequate. I appreciate their provision of outlets near seating for device charging, but it would probably be even better if they also provided USB ports on the outlets, and fitted universal outlets seeing as travellers may not have the correct adaptors. Also, Boingo is still the main WiFi provider in the airport, but they now offer a few hours of unlimited wifi every time you watch an ad. The ads aren’t that long, so I’d argue that that’s okay, and for cost recovery, it’s not too annoying.

"rude, unfriendly, unhelpful"

Not Verified | The most rude, unfriendly, unhelpful, and unprofessional employees. If I politely ask for your help, don’t tell me “I’m not getting involved, you know the rules, you have to figure out what to do.” I’ve only flown once before, 3 years ago - your job is to help me. You get paid to help me. I’m not saying you have to be the nicest, but the attitude from all 5 employees I came into contact with, is just inappropriate! Horrible..
Date VisitOctober 2018

"have more buses at least"

Not Verified | Horrible. Seriously O’Hare get your transit up and running. After landing I had to wait over half an hour outside for a bus to come pick us up and take us to the parking lot. Unacceptable if you’re going to shut down the train have more buses at least.