Chicago O'Hare Airport

"rude, unfriendly, unhelpful"

Not Verified | The most rude, unfriendly, unhelpful, and unprofessional employees. If I politely ask for your help, don’t tell me “I’m not getting involved, you know the rules, you have to figure out what to do.” I’ve only flown once before, 3 years ago - your job is to help me. You get paid to help me. I’m not saying you have to be the nicest, but the attitude from all 5 employees I came into contact with, is just inappropriate! Horrible..
Date VisitOctober 2018

"have more buses at least"

Not Verified | Horrible. Seriously O’Hare get your transit up and running. After landing I had to wait over half an hour outside for a bus to come pick us up and take us to the parking lot. Unacceptable if you’re going to shut down the train have more buses at least.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"a horrible experience"

Not Verified | I had a horrible experience at Chicago O'Hare recently. On September 3rd, we had an international layover on our way to Italy for our honeymoon. There were some weather issues which caused our incoming flight from Seattle to circle the airport for a while before we were finally able to land. No problem, I get weather issues. Once we were able to deboard the plane, we had to find the international terminal. The airport had very poor signage for this, so we stopped to ask a staff. He told us the quickest way would be to go to the end of the G gates and take a shuttle to the M International terminal to avoid having to exit the airport and go through security again. Once we got to G17 where the shuttle was, a female airport worker told us she needed to see our boarding passes and passports. We handed them over and she said she couldn't allow us to be shuttled until she confirmed our flight was still there. I told her that my Delta app confirmed that the flight was delayed by 30 minutes. I had also heard an announcement that all flights were delayed from the weather since no planes were able to take off or land. She insisted on checking Google Flights for her update as well as got on her walkie-talkie to ask someone who was in the international wing if our flight was still there. Meanwhile, the clock is ticking and we need to board our plane. This person who works at the damn airport would not use the airport computer to check our flight status and continued to rely on Google Flights. She told us that she would not shuttle us over because apparently our flight had left. I told her she was wrong and she refused. I was furious. I grabbed our passports and told my husband, "I don't trust that she is right. I think we still need to make a run for it and go to the international wing by ourselves." We exited the airport, caught the rail train and went through security with 10 minutes to spare. We finally made it to our gate and what do you know, our flight was still there! We were able to board and had about 5 minutes.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"Avoid this airport"

Trip Verified | Avoid this airport if at all possible. Horrendous experience both arriving and departing. When we arrived it took over half an hour to get off the plane because information on connecting flights had be posted just outside the exit and caused congestion. We then made our way down to immigration control which was in chaos. There were no proper signs just some people shouting instructions which nobody could understand. We followed people and ended up in the wrong place. After 10 minutes we were then told where we needed to go by somebody we could understand. This was the longest queue I have ever seen, It took us 15 minutes to get to the back of it. When we got near the automatic machines we were stopped for about 15 minutes because the queue after the machines was too long and was clogging up the machine area. When we used the machines our documents were rejected. We later found out that the machines were rejecting 95% of people. This was the basis of the queue. Because of this we had to go in the next queue to be dealt with manually. Altogether it took nearly 3 hours to get through the immigration. Departing was not much better. After checking in, which took about 40 minutes because BA do not have a bag drop option and only 2 desks open for Economy and Premium Economy passengers we were then faced with another huge queue for immigration. It was so long it spilled out onto the check in area. Once through immigration the security check was relatively quick although I had to be body searched because I left a plastic comb in my pocket! It took over 2 hours to get through. One of our worst experiences at a USA airport, although departing from here was also bad a couple of years ago, so a place to avoid.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"security efficient and friendly"

Trip Verified | Airline travel is not always the easiest thing to do. The more stresses that can be eliminated from it, the better. I think one of the biggest stresses is the time it takes to go through security. O’Hare’s security is efficient and friendly allowing travelers to place their items on the scanning belt at their own pace without holding up the rest of the line. We were able to get in a through security in less than 20 minuets which is fantastic. Great job!
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"most restaurants were closed by 9pm"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Check-in area in terminal 5 is far too small. One airline had two flights leaving within an hour but was assigned a limited number of check-in counters. This caused the line to spill in to the hallway and blocking foot traffic. Once you clear check-in, the immigration and final security is done in a small area where there is not much of a system. Lines can crisscross and you really need to be patient as you go through the process. I had a red eye flight and I wanted to get a meal before boarding. Unfortunately most restaurants were closed by 9pm. As expected the one open restaurant was swamped with customers. The restaurant staff could hardly cope with orders taking a long time coming. There appears limited seating in both check-in and boarding areas. Wi-Fi was not working in all areas.
Date VisitJune 2018

"an abundance of restaurant choices"

Trip Verified | I feel like O'Hare gets a bad wrap overall for a few reasons, but some issues are legitimate, and the experience will vary greatly depending on which terminal you go through. For starters I usually fly United, and usually go through Terminal 1 or 2. I don't fly through Terminal 3, and my experience in the International Terminal has only been for one arrival recently. That said, I can break down Terminal's 1 and 2 which are good overall in my view. For starters the main issue with United is connecting flights can take a little while to get around. Terminal 1 is separated into two concourses connected by an underground walkway. In theory you could have a connecting flight on United Express which are mostly located in Terminal 2 despite your regular United flight may land at the C-Gates in Terminal 1. Therefore, you may have to walk from the end of the C-gate to the central area to reach the underground tunnel, go underground the tarmac, pop up at Terminal 1, then go to the end to reach the walkway to Terminal 2, then you'll cross into Terminal 2, and finally you are at your gate. It sounds like a long walk because it is. I recommend at least have 30 minutes to transfer flights. Then the other issues at O'Hare can be queue times for TSA, or some restaurants. I can say from personal experience the TSA at O'Hare have been relatively quick, as in no more than 20 minutes to get through during most times, however, during some peak times such as 4-6 pm, then lines can get long and take over 30 minutes. It has been random since sometimes during "peak times" things have been quick. I finally got TSA pre-check, so I'll see how that goes when I fly out tomorrow. Finally the last big issue is the poor wifi. It's Boingo which is too expensive, and at times it doesn't process your purchase correctly. Try to get into a United Club for wifi. I have gone through some personal negatives, and likely negatives for flyers in Terminals 1 and 2. The good news there are pluses. For one, the food choices are good. There are some local chains including Rick Bayless own chain which has solid Tex-Mex sandwiches, and amazing Guacamole. I believe Wow Bao is located in O'Hare, and there is a local tea chain as well. Meanwhile there is an abundance of restaurant choices such as steak, Italian, seafood, cafe food, etc. From my experience I haven't had a bad meal. Keep in mind, don't expect Michelin star restaurants, but if you have a good layover, then you can get a good meal. Finally the bar scene isn't bad, but prices are airport prices. At least Goose island has bars with local tapped beer. Finally the last positive is the location. The blue line connects to O'Hare, 24/7, to the Loop. It's near I-90 and I-294 which help drivers get around anywhere in the Chicagoland area. That said, if you are going to Northwest Indiana, or Joilet, then it'll take a good hour to get there from O'hare. That said, the taxi stand is outdated and slow. Expect to spend a good 30 minutes to get a taxi. Overall it is a good big airport. It's not perfect, nor the best in the world since I've been to LHR to Narita, however, as a large US airport it's one of the better ones in my view. Especially compared to EWR or elsewhere.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"very far with no moving walkways"

Not Verified | Experience was ok. Because of delay at Rapid City Regional, I was late but the man at the desk quickly informed me I would have no trouble catching my flight to Madrid if I made my way quickly to the departing gate. Distance to the gate was very far with no moving walkways. Turns out I had plenty of time. Flight was delayed for over an hour.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"garbage over flowing everywhere"

Trip Verified | We are sitting in front of McDonals in terminal L. There is garbage over flowing everywhere, all of the tables are disgusting and dirty. I see no one cleaning in the vicinity. Why treat customers this way? Have the food places clean the charging tables and other tables throughout the terminals as people are using the tables to eat their food. Have a cleaning person dedicated to specific areas so that it stays clean.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"why cant the staff be understanding"

Trip Verified | My flight was cancelled due to weather, which I understand is not anyone's fault. So considering how understanding I was, especially in comparison to other very unhappy people. So you can imagine how upset I became when I was berated for moving a cot 3 ft into darker lighting. I was not aware this was a rule. I apologized and moved it back. Even after that I was harassed by the same staff member for not moving it back "right". Look, I was understanding about being stuck on a cot here after purchasing a 400 dollar ticket so why cant the staff be understanding and accommodating to me as well. It all just makes me never want to fly again.