Chicago O'Hare Airport

"delayed delayed delayed"

Not Verified | It's almost not even a thought that if I fly out of ORD, I will be delayed, no matter what. It's always technical issues. I can understand weather, but technical and maintenance issues are insane. At least the last 10 flights including the one I get to be stuck on right now is delayed delayed delayed. I never ever fly out of here on time. I hate this airport.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"the experience was a real mixed bag"

Trip Verified | I've never had any particularly negative experience in the times I've flown in and out of O'Hare (although they did lose my luggage in 2014, which was quite annoying). In 2019, the experience was a real mixed bag, first things first, most people I met working at the airport could not have been friendlier or more helpful. A true positive. Even the TSA personnel and incredibly overworked gate agents were patient yet efficient, though, I know this isn't always the case, as with the overworked yet strangely entitled and lackadaisical barista at Starbucks. Oh well, there always seems to have be at least "that one" in airports. However, while I've never had particularly negative experiences, this airport is still not easy to like or embrace. It's clearly outdated, outmoded, and overused, if you've ever watched "Home Alone," which came out in 1990, I'm pretty sure the airport looks today just as it did in 1990 (and even earlier). The airport is dirty all the way around and not well taken care of, even smelling what I can describe as dank and damp in certain areas. Gate seating is not ample. While there are plenty of dining and shopping options both pre- and post-security, many of those options have a sort of dingy feel, no matter how well run they are and how friendly the staff are. The lighting and flooring suck, and even the sporadic display of attractive, futuristic-by-1980s-standards artwork doesn't change that fact. Even though the area of Chicago in which O'Hare is located is generally nice and middle-class, the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) train station below the terminal has a strangely uncomfortable feeling - and the station and CTA trains are just filthy, even though the station is less than 30 years old (that's CTA's fault, though). Back upstairs, ride shares take longer to arrive and drop off than at many other large airports, even when things aren't particularly crowded. In all, O'Hare provides a poor introduction to, and representation of, an otherwise friendly, vibrant and unique city called Chicago. What a shame.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"this was one of the most unpleasant experiences"

Trip Verified | It was quite busy when I arrived and went to the TSA line # 8. The woman who scanned my boarding pass was just lovely and I couldn’t be happier with her. She took time out of her day to ask how I was and truly meant it. When I went to get my things from the conveyer belt, the woman who was handling the baskets with the basket cart was coming through and I must’ve been in her way and couldn’t move quick enough. She screamed "excuse me!" (Every single person in that line looked at her with wide eyes because of how obnoxiously loud it was) with a huge attitude. So I moved out of the way and I said "oh, I am sorry ma’am". She walked on by ignoring me and then rolling her eyes and laughing with the other TSA woman doing the pat downs. I’m sorry, but I should’ve never been treated that way and this was one of the most unpleasant experiences I have ever been through in an airport. I will make every effort in the future to avoid this airport.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"had to wait an excessively long time for my bag"

Trip Verified | Before I even left my original destination the pilot was told not to take off yet because ORD had too many planes in the air. So we were late taking off. Then we land, have to taxi for 20 minutes to our gate, and then are told our gate is occupied and we have to wait. I had to wait an excessively long time for my bag (had to check it at the gate before leaving my original destination). And then I had to sprint to my connection only to be told boarding closed literally seconds before I got there. The worker surprisingly wasn’t too rude about it, but I was still angry that they couldn’t hold the flight for 2 minutes for myself and 3 other passengers from my original flight. It’s not like the plane left on time anyway. They rebooked me on the next flight out (an hour later) and luckily it wasn’t delayed, but it still took forever to actually take off!

"Unbelievably badly organised"

Not Verified | Unbelievably badly organised. The staff try to mask this by constantly shouting at customers and by treating them as if they have perpetrated serious misdemeanours and are under arrest. Guys, we know about security. We really would like your owners to give you better organisation but this isn't our fault so kindly stop yapping and tàke up your issues with management. Also, wearing a uniform does not entitle you to be impolite. I actually experienced a customs officer mimicking my accent. And in the obvious culture of workplace bullying that flourishes in this airport, I was acutely aware that this man clearly wanted me to react so he could pullme out of line. BTW I am an obvious little old lady. The city authorities of Chicago need to be aware that this airport represents them to their incoming visitors, and it does it badly. Really very badly.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"the rudest TSA personnel ever"

Not Verified | Worst airport ever! Do not use for international flights. Absolutely the rudest TSA personnel ever. Very rude when they were screening my carry on. We had very little time for connecting flight and my daughter was using wheelchair assistance - helper was excellent - he was the bright spot. However they held us up as they wiped down wheelchair - which had come from inside a security checkpoints. They also completely patted me down, including crotch area and all over my person. Unbelievably rude bag screening personnel. This was the second horrible experience here coming from London. They also sent our luggage to the East coast. I would avoid this place like the plague.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"I’ve seen much better"

Not Verified | Horrible! You must leave the secure area, go outside and take a bus to transfer from the international terminal to a connecting flight. The bus is rundown, and there are no markings or PA announcements regarding the various terminal stops. Terminal 2, Concourse E is old, narrow, has inadequate seating at the gates. I’ve seen much better in third world countries!

"Awful! Just awful"

Not Verified | Awful! Just awful. Hard to find Frontier in the first place, sign is on the back side of the board and not visible from the road, once inside I felt like I was in a cattle car. Gates M1 and M 2 were posted nowhere, hundreds of people milling around, no rep from my airlines anywhere! ne poor airport employee with no mic trying to board people and de-plane multiple persons from multiple flights at the same time. SRO, no room to sit or walk. No flight status updates available in terminal at all and the on line and app info was always at least 1 hour behind actual info. Never again will I fly Frontier or any other airlines through this terminal. I can only hope that Frontier’s attention to operational and customer service details in the air will be 100% better than it is on the ground today!

"Terminal 5 is shocking"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Terminal 5 is shocking. Nothing works, the train is broken, the toilets are clogged, the security lines are long (and terminal 5 does not even accept precheck!?). The shops are scarcely stocked (except for sundries and candy). Free WiFi requires payment when you click on. Food outlets are overwhelmed. Lounges are among the worst of any major global city. This is Chicago? A world class city? If I had to move my company to Chicago and use terminal 5 I would have to pay extra hardship allowances for my management. Third world conditions affecting the staff who care less about service because they are treated like animals instead of ladies and gentlemen. The board at chicago O’Hare should resign because of the long lasting horror show at terminal 5. And the airlines that pay to use this service should be questioned as well.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"airport is poorly designed"

Not Verified | My trip home from Brussels was scheduled to connect in Chicago O'Hare, arriving at 1 pm and departing to Houston at 4 pm. My experience in the O'Hare airport was a total nightmare. There were multiple flight delays, and they changed the departure gate three times, with the last change forcing all passengers to go from the C terminal to the B terminal. In the end, the flight to Houston departed at about 10 pm, a delay of 6 hours, and for me a total of 9 hours spent in O'Hare, not knowing when, or if, there would be a flight to Houston that day. There was almost no place to sit, so most of the passengers were forced to stand for hours. This airport is poorly designed, managed horribly, and it does not have enough gates. Anyone returning from overseas should NEVER use O'Hare for a connecting flight.
Date VisitJuly 2019