Chicago O'Hare Airport

"Complete chaos, inefficiency and lack of knowledge"

Not Verified | We had a connecting flight to to RSW. As soon as we got to customs, it was chaos. People were packed into the large room waiting for others to wander around looking for an available kiosk to scan their passport. So unorganized. How about putting the kiosks in a row for people to use while in line? Once finished, we had to stand in long lines again waiting to get checked through. There were only 7 windows open for hundreds of people to funnel through. And, not to sound like "that guy", but they were speeding the non-citizens through a lot faster. 2 were for working visas and students, 5 for citizens and tourists. They should be putting the tourists with the non-citizens. They should also have a line for connecting flights because this is the second time we almost missed our flight due to this mess and we weren't the only ones stressing over a connecting flight. Once we eventually got through, getting our bags was pretty quick and easy, but after that, there were no signs saying where to go next. We just got in the super long line with everyone else. My wife went ahead to talk to someone to make sure we were in the correct place. That person told her that we needed to go outside the huge room to a different place so she ran back and got my son and I and we did as he said. Once we got out and the doors closed behind us, we found out that we were in the right place before and now we had to wait for someone else to come out so we could go back in. We went to to counter to talk to them again and they said to just leave our bags there and go to our flight and they would scan them in for us. I didn't feel comfortable about just leaving our bags next to the counter while they were checking in other people who were waiting in line, but we had no choice. Our flight had started boarding and we were nowhere near the terminal. We missed using the family lane for going through security twice because the lane was roped off. Someone who works there saw us and opened it and they were genuinely surprised that he had to tell us to use it. In all the chaos, we lost one of our boarding passes, so we had to rush to the ticket counter to get a new one printed. She insisted on reprinting all 3 passes even though we only needed 1. After that was done, we started to run to the next step when my wife checked and saw they printed the wrong name on my boarding pass. We decided to just use the old one since it didn't need to be reprinted anyway. It was like she was deliberately wasting our time when we had none to waste. We ran to the tent outside (by the way, we weren't dressed for cold weather because we had no plans to leave the airport so my 7-year-old was freezing right along with us) where we were told to wait for the bus. There were so many people that we had to wait for the next one. We knew we had to go to terminal 1, but when the driver stopped, he never said anything. He just opened the door. Now, I could assume that the first stop is terminal 1, but I hate to make assumptions and get off the bus at the wrong terminal when we're already pressed for time.Luckily, someone else said they could see a "1" outside, so we got off and ran. We made it to our flight while they were almost finished boarding. 2 hours should have been enough time to get through, but it almost wasn't. Complete chaos, inefficiency and lack of knowledge at O'Hare. Can't rate some things because we had no time to use them.

"horrible and disrespectful"

Trip Verified | Believe me here when I tell you. I travel for a living as an airline pilot. Forty years + and running. We get moved around on other commercial airlines throughout countries worldwide to and from our trips. The arrival ORD CBP/DHS terminal 5 culture here with our country is so screwed up. They're focusing on the wrong things here. Goods purchases overseas preoccupation and then the fruits, vegetables, fruits, cheeses and the US citizen exemption amounts. When we should be concerned with perpetrators, impostors, criminals and those who wish to our country's entry and to create intentional ill will. Or drugs, etc. The human treatment here is horrible and disrespectful towards it's 'right to be here' US citizens. Especially towards it's born, legal to be here citizens! We're missing the big picture folks.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"extremely rude and degrading"

Not Verified | The customer service at this airport is deplorable and the worst that we've ever experienced at any airport! The customer service interaction/communication at security was unpleasant and down right rude, unprofessional and demeaning! No one smiled or provided eye contact when speaking to you. They were extremely rude and degrading. The desk attendant at Spirit counter was also extremely rude while speaking and giving his speech over the intercom! I pray I never have to fly into this airport again!

"not enough seating"

Not Verified | My impression is that they are doing everything so you pay extra and enter a business lounge. Crowded and not enough seating facilities, A/C is bad and shops awful. Don't even want to check the bathroom and still have nine hours until my flight. Coming here for a connecting flight had to exit, going through a tent, waiting for a bus.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"service here is deplorable"

Not Verified | My wife can’t walk so we needed a wheelchair for her. We have waited over an hour and still no wheelchair. The service here is deplorable. We we told that getting wheelchairs has been privatized and they are pretty slow. We also have a dog that needs to pee and all there is here is concrete. Not very accommodating. This may be our last time flying to O'hare if this isn’t fixed soon.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"pretty shocked at how run down it is"

Trip Verified | The last time I was here was 11 years ago and I am pretty shocked at how run down it is. We're sitting in Terminal C - the seats are broken, the seats are torn in some places and the bathroom are dark and dingy. What's up Chicago? Millions of people travel through your hub every year! Why do you present your city like this? An environment like this also likely causes decreased morale in your staff, they don't seem very happy.

"Done, no more"

Not Verified | The cowboys that drive those buggies through the terminals beeping and beeping for you to move need shut down. I'm tired of moving off to the side so they can zip through loaded with people too lazy to walk. I'm 72 and I walk. I'm done giving way to those maniacs. Hit me if you want but I'm not going to the wall so you can zip through. Done, no more.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"delayed delayed delayed"

Not Verified | It's almost not even a thought that if I fly out of ORD, I will be delayed, no matter what. It's always technical issues. I can understand weather, but technical and maintenance issues are insane. At least the last 10 flights including the one I get to be stuck on right now is delayed delayed delayed. I never ever fly out of here on time. I hate this airport.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"the experience was a real mixed bag"

Trip Verified | I've never had any particularly negative experience in the times I've flown in and out of O'Hare (although they did lose my luggage in 2014, which was quite annoying). In 2019, the experience was a real mixed bag, first things first, most people I met working at the airport could not have been friendlier or more helpful. A true positive. Even the TSA personnel and incredibly overworked gate agents were patient yet efficient, though, I know this isn't always the case, as with the overworked yet strangely entitled and lackadaisical barista at Starbucks. Oh well, there always seems to have be at least "that one" in airports. However, while I've never had particularly negative experiences, this airport is still not easy to like or embrace. It's clearly outdated, outmoded, and overused, if you've ever watched "Home Alone," which came out in 1990, I'm pretty sure the airport looks today just as it did in 1990 (and even earlier). The airport is dirty all the way around and not well taken care of, even smelling what I can describe as dank and damp in certain areas. Gate seating is not ample. While there are plenty of dining and shopping options both pre- and post-security, many of those options have a sort of dingy feel, no matter how well run they are and how friendly the staff are. The lighting and flooring suck, and even the sporadic display of attractive, futuristic-by-1980s-standards artwork doesn't change that fact. Even though the area of Chicago in which O'Hare is located is generally nice and middle-class, the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) train station below the terminal has a strangely uncomfortable feeling - and the station and CTA trains are just filthy, even though the station is less than 30 years old (that's CTA's fault, though). Back upstairs, ride shares take longer to arrive and drop off than at many other large airports, even when things aren't particularly crowded. In all, O'Hare provides a poor introduction to, and representation of, an otherwise friendly, vibrant and unique city called Chicago. What a shame.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"this was one of the most unpleasant experiences"

Trip Verified | It was quite busy when I arrived and went to the TSA line # 8. The woman who scanned my boarding pass was just lovely and I couldn’t be happier with her. She took time out of her day to ask how I was and truly meant it. When I went to get my things from the conveyer belt, the woman who was handling the baskets with the basket cart was coming through and I must’ve been in her way and couldn’t move quick enough. She screamed "excuse me!" (Every single person in that line looked at her with wide eyes because of how obnoxiously loud it was) with a huge attitude. So I moved out of the way and I said "oh, I am sorry ma’am". She walked on by ignoring me and then rolling her eyes and laughing with the other TSA woman doing the pat downs. I’m sorry, but I should’ve never been treated that way and this was one of the most unpleasant experiences I have ever been through in an airport. I will make every effort in the future to avoid this airport.
Date VisitOctober 2019