Charlotte Airport

"needs to be some management improvement"

Not Verified | There are so many problems with every aspect of this airport. I'm going to list problems with some no-cost or low-cost solutions. 1) Concourses are narrow, so pedestrian traffic is a mess. People are constantly bumping, almost bumping, crossing in front of, and getting behind slow people. Last night, a member of the cleaning crew had parked a rolling garbage bin in the middle of the concourse (E) and was off to the side having a casual conversation with a vendor. This caused many pedestrian issues, in an already stressful environment. Solution: train cleaning crews about traffic in the concourses and how to treat customers better and NOT block their paths. 2) Continual gate change for arrivals, and - what seems like - confusion for the airplane waiting to pull into the appropriate gate. I don't know how much larger airports are so organized, but CLT needs to have systems in place for parking planes quickly at their gates to get people to their connecting flights on time. Last night in Concourse E Gate 17 (6/13/2019), 5 breathless passengers showed up to catch the last flight to Columbia SC that day. The unconcerned gate employee told them the doors were closed, and there was nothing he could do. Their incoming flight had been blocked from their gate for a time, making them late to the Columbia flight and that flight pulled away without them. super simple, cheap solution: have a gate ready for each arriving plane. If a plane has passengers for connections, communicate with their connecting plane's crew to please wait 3-5 minutes for the passengers to arrive. 3) Some of the slide-walks weren't working, and you need that extra boost in speed to reach long distances between connections (see above). Solutions: maintain existing equipment and keep it running. 4) Lots of trash, lots of people working who seemed to not want to be there, and boarding queues crowding the already narrow corridors - there needs to be some management improvement at this airport. All of this makes me feel less safe flying.
Date VisitJune 2019

"horrendous walking times"

Trip Verified | What a disaster. Airport is overcrowded with many rude employees that could care less about the traveling public. Many areas under construction with carpeted areas being difficult for travelers to move their bags. It is clear that the runways and traffic control are stretched which results in numerous cascading delays. Not enough seating - horrendous walking times - surly employees.
Date VisitJune 2019

"the rudest I have met to date"

Trip Verified | Worst airport ever. I had a layover there coming from Germany. I am traveling with two service dogs. I had to get my luggage (even though it was checked through to SFO). When I got down to luggage claim one of those sniffer dogs they have, a small beagle (could have still been in training and I am not faulting the dog at all) went crazy seeing my dogs. I got yelled at by it's handler over the concourse that I need to pick up my dogs? and what kind of service dogs these were. I responded politely that this is a question she was not allowed to ask and that I felt uncomfortable yelling my disability over the airport. Her rude response was that there were probably just emotional support dogs and needed to be carried by me that for sure they were not service dogs like hers. Well no as your dog is not a service dog! It is a working dog, which is supposed to stay calm under any circumstance. Finally got it all finagled and re-checked my bag when I got to the 2nd very rude and obviously bored customs agent who asked me for the paperwork on my dogs. I hand him all the paperwork with the Aphis paperwork (shot verification) laying on top and hs rudely asks where is the rabies paperwork? Right there under your darn nose. I do not see it. Oh just go through I'll take your word for it. People at this airport are the rudest I have met to date and I have travelled a lot in my past. Rude and belligerent. Never again Charlotte.
Date VisitMay 2019

"It was a horrendous experience"

Trip Verified | Charlotte is my home airport and as a business traveler I don’t have any problems. But I flew in with my 84 year old mother who had requested wheelchair assistance. After waiting over 30 minutes no one ever came. The airline got me a wheelchair but they are not allowed to transport passengers other than to and from the plane. I pushed my mother in a wheelchair while managing 3 bags. It was a horrendous experience. Topped off by over an hour to get the bags. I have to say the services at the airport are highly lacking. The parking personnel are wonderful!
Date VisitApril 2019

"the absolute worst airport"

Trip Verified | I have never been through such a ridiculous international experience in all of the other airports I have flown through. I get off my international flight 20 mins early. Then have to go down and claim my baggage that should just go all of the way through. But no, I have to wait for two other flights that got there after us, before our bags came down. Then had to go re-check my bags, then go through customs for US again, then had to go back through TSA Check in with my carry on again. Then, finally get down to my flight, in which half of the walking escalators are not working to find I've missed my flight. This is the absolute worst airport I've ever been to.
Date VisitApril 2019

"walking distance are ridiculous"

Not Verified | One of the worst AA hubs. Each visit, there are at least 3 to 4 moving walkways and escalators under repair. The walking distance are ridiculous ie from E concourse to B concourse. No shuttles. And certainly encounter broken walkways. Food choices are awful. Get I'll every time I eat here. Most inefficient security of AA hubs. 1 TSA precheck open on a Monday morning with no less than 30 minute wait. Staff is rude. At another check point asked if i could leave shoes on since TSA pre and was rudely told this is not a TSA checkpoint. Every major airport in the US allows for shoes to stay on (but electronics out) and allow walk through scanner when boarding pass marked. Not the inefficient rude people in Charlotte. Horribly under seated in their waiting areas. Never enough seats. Wall to wall standing people in aisles and halls. This airport should not be a hub. They have no concept of efficiency or courtesy! I avoid them like the plague but sometimes have no choice.

"avoid at all costs"

Trip Verified | The most garbage airport I've ever been in. Flew in from SFO one of the busiest in the country and these goons here were delayed on my landing (30 mins), theres no seating, food service were rude, TSA were rude, no transit for their gigantic airport, outlets to plug in phone run at such a low voltage you cant fast charge your phone, they somehow didnt have room for everyone to bring their carry on luggage on the plane (how is that a thing?) And my flight was delayed over an hour and a half. Beer was $10.71 (more than SF?). People running everywhere absolute chaos. Dirty and construction everywhere. I will never travel to this dump site again, avoid at all costs, pay more if you have to, warn your friends and family
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"delayed 90% of the time"

Not Verified | In October I wrote a review on Charlotte's complete incapacity in routing aircraft on the ground. I switched back to Delta. And they left me in Atlanta 3 weeks in a row on a Friday night so I gave up on them. So I went back to American where I was executive platinum but I had a strategy I would avoid the airport closest to my house (Charlotte) since they are delayed 90% of the time. Alas schedules get changed and unlike Delta, American will put you on another flight and invariably those go through Charlotte in the east coast. So I am departing on my 3rd flight via Charlotte this month. And it is delayed 1 hour. My other two were delayed 30 and 45 minutes. In all 3 cases the planes landed ahead of schedule and sat in the taxiway for 45, 35, and 37 minutes. I am baffled. No other airport I visit (85 in the last 12 months) has this issue. Maybe they don’t care like Delta for their diamonds or maybe they really are incompetent. But I would think there is a public safety risk if they are this incompetent. Should the FAA investigate? I don’t know but what I do know is I will do everything I can to go through DFW to avoid the inevitable missed flight yet again since Delta is no longer an option because they disdain their frequent flyers.

"Invest in one"

Not Verified | It’s called a train/tram/dart/whatever you want to call it! Invest in one! Fast moving walkways can only get you places so fast. Every big airport like this one should have some kind of faster transit system. This isn’t cutting it. No sitting in terminal, especially when 9 are crammed into one tiny corner.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"no real variety in food options"

This airport has a couple of chains and some stuff that looks local, but overall no real variety in food options. I was hoping to grab a bottle of water and some gum during my layover, so I stopped by one of those convenience stores, only to find out that a small water was $4.50 and a pack of gum was $3. I know airports are always a little more expensive but that’s excessive. I saw the same bottle of water in another terminal for $1.75, if that gives you an idea of how ridiculous these prices are. There’s also very little shopping that appealed to me, and if there’s a duty free store I must have missed it. Definitely going to avoid ever coming to this airport again. At least some gates have a lot of outlets (not all, of course!).
Date VisitDecember 2018