Cape Town Airport

"the phone was stolen"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | I was about to enter the flight with my hand luggage but seen that some people were handing over their hand luggage before entering the flight because of the fact that it could be full. I too handed my hand luggage. When I had landed and waited for my bag at the carousel, I had noticed my bag looked different. I immediately opened if and seen that a parcel (a new cellphone in a small box) that I was carrying for a friend was broken into and the phone was stolen. The rest of the items were left scattered in my bag. I immediately went to British Airways office to lodge a complaint whereby I was told by the lady that she doubts anything can be done but simply advised to lodge a complaint at a police station for theft with no instructions on the procedure and what would happen henceforth.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"baggage delivered swiftly"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Most international airlines leave between 16H00-21H00 and check-in area wide open. Very friendly check-in by SAA and supervising Air Mauritius staff. Security, Customs and Immigration very friendly - one of the most pleasant airports around, not only for it super-friendly staff (even the toilet cleaners say: "Welcome to my Office"), but also for its spaciousness and cleanliness. I have been through the airport at peak times, and yes, immigration can take hours especially on early morning arrivals, but this is well controlled and managed by ACSA staff at every customer contact area. CTIA is shortly about to extend both Domestic and International terminals. Boarding was chop-chop. I do not buy duty free as its cheaper in the local shops - but duty free area seemed large enough with lots on offer and coffee shops are visible. MK843 / 26MAR19 landed in CPT at 20H15. Quick disembarkation, speedy- well managed & friendly customs officials, baggage delivered swiftly and was out of airport by 20H45.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"Worst airport ever"

Not Verified | Worst airport ever. Entering the country took 2.5hrs in a queue after travelling for 13hrs, departures as bad with queues of 1.5hrs to get through security. Seriously, for an international airport I’m disgusted.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"Longest I’ve waited anywhere"

Not Verified | Waited in queue for 2 hours for passport control after getting off an 11 hour flight. There were only 4 of the 18 desks open. Longest I’ve waited anywhere in the world and really bad first impression.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"Received a lovely welcome"

Not Verified | Received a lovely welcome from airport staff the moment I stepped off the plane. Several international flights arrived together meaning passport control queue was long, however it was well managed and moved quickly. Got a South African SIM for phone from very helpful Vodacom sales assistant directly outside arrivals area. Car hire pick up slow, but only because computer system needed restarting and staff apologetic for the wait. Overall a very hassle-free experience from friendly, relaxed personnel - they could teach their counterparts in Jo'burg a thing or two!
Date VisitOctober 2018

"no way to go back out"

Not Verified | Line up for early morning flight was not long at all. The scam to watch out for is tax refund for visitors from other countries. We were told at check-in that tax refund happens after passport verification. So we went through security and passport verification. Went up to a counter clearly labeled as tax refund. We were then told the paperwork has to happen before security check-in. Also there is no way to go back out! Don't expect the folks at the tax refund desk to be helpful. Simply kiss that amount good bye.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"light, bright and airy"

Not Verified | Arrival 9 am, 28 August on Singapore Airlines from Singapore via Johannesburg. As the number of passengers disembarking was small and then seemed to be no other international arrivals at this time we sailed through immigration, luggage collection and customs, from leaving aircraft to in arrivals hall less than 20 minutes. We then went upstairs to check in for our flight to Port Elizabeth. This was ok and only took 10 minutes to get through security. Not much to look at or buy airside. Bus to aircraft. Departed for Singapore on 11 am flight on 9 September. Left car at Avis and had a porter cart our luggage to check in. It is about 5 minutes walk, but I'm glad it wasn't raining as there is not much cover. Check in was very quick and there was no one waiting (!) at security and no one waiting (!) at immigration, so we were in the lounge 3 minutes after checking in. The international departures is light, bright and airy with a good view of the airport. Not a big selection of food and beverages places and limited shopping but quite adequate. I was last at Cape Town airport in December 2000 and the rebuild leaves only small bits of the original terminal. This is a great airport for entering and leaving South Africa. But - take note - changing money at the airport is as complicated as becoming as astronaut. This is not the airport's fault but the fact that it took longer to change $500 to ZAR than it did for both arrival and departure formalities makes me wonder what happens to all the information collected from people changing money.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"I can not complain"

(Czech Republic)

Not Verified | Rychlé odbavení - ceny dostupné - žádná komplikace. Přílet i odlet proběhl naprosto bez problémů - nemůžu nic vytknout,personál ochotný a letiště čisté. - zásuvka na dobití telefonu (nemohl jsem nic najít). - Quick check-in - Prices available - no complications. Arrival and departure was absolutely no problem - I can not complain, staff willing and the airport clean. - socket to charge the phone (I could not find anything).
Date VisitOctober 2017

"perfectly adequate airport"

Trip Verified | This is a perfectly adequate airport. Its really positive reputation may have raised my expectations rather high going in, though, so I have to admit to being a tad underwhelmed. Arriving was easy, and I sailed through immigration, baggage claim, and customs. It then took me a while to find the counter for my airport transfer in the rather confusing arrivals hall, but people were very helpful and friendly. When it was time to depart, getting from the curb to the gate went smoothly. Once I was in the departure area, though, there was not that much on offer: a few smallish shops and one central bar/cafe totally lacking in character (the amiable waitstaff notwithstanding). To be fair, there was a sign indicating that renovations were ongoing. It was hard to determine the extent of the area being developed. Here is hoping that it is extensive and that the end result will be worthy and more representative of this fantastic city and country.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"People were missing flights"

Not Verified | Leave plenty of time as there is a very long slow queue after security for passport control in departures. Took over an hour and half to get through this one stage. People were missing flights and there’s no information to let you know what to expect.
Date VisitMarch 2018