Cancun Airport

Cancun Airport customer review

I have been traveling to this airport for over 20 years and they have made significant improvements that translate to shorter wait times. I have never seen them screen every bag there must have been a specific reason for that. The best advice I offer is do not travel on Saturday. That is by far the busiest day with the longest wait times due to timeshare owners.

Cancun Airport customer review

I was there in Jan and our flight arrived late night. The line at security check took us about 20 minutes and staff were very polite plus about 20 minutes to reclaim baggage. The facilities are clean but seem old. Outside there are a lot of tourism agents staff and people offering services. It was easy to find the tourism agency staff and took the bus to the resort. When I came back home my flight was delayed. I arrived to the airport a long time before check in and the airline booth was not settled but the electronic monitor was displaying were it should be. There is no seats available in the check in area. I found seats in the arrival area or we could go to restaurant and snack places. When time to check in came there was a long line. Don't forget to have the Mexican entry form with you to avoid delays at the check in. Staff were efficient and the security screen was smooth. After you pass security the airport is much bigger than it seems and is busy. At least the area we were domestic and International flights were departing frequently. Boarding areas had plenty of seats and there was a lot of places for food. However prices are very high. Restroom at the boarding area and general facilities are clean and big enough to handle its traffic. I found the announcements in English very difficult to understand due to low sound pronunciation and noise. However there was no problem talking in English on the information centre or with airline staff. 10 minutes before boarding the flight showed up on the gate monitor and after that we had 1.40 hr delay until boarding with no explanation. The airport seems to handle well traffic on a normal season but it may be overwhelming during high peak.

Cancun Airport customer review

Took nearly 90 minutes to get through immigration and as we were leaving were collared by official looking people with desks in the building trying to get deposits off us for free excursions. On leaving we had to pay £50 each (1800 pesos in total) and then found very expensive food and drink in the departure restaurants.

Cancun Airport customer review

Arrival was on 5 March 2013. Having arrived on a half full British Airways flight from London we were off the aircraft and through immigration within 20 minutes of landing. There was only a small immigration queue and passengers appeared to be processed relatively quickly and the immigration official was pleasant. Short wait for bags to arrive and we were through customs in less than 5 minutes - again the customs official was polite welcoming and helpful despite requesting an additional baggage search of the person that I was travelling with. My main criticism was after leaving the terminal building it was unclear where to go for onward connections using public transport. On the return journey the airport was extremely busy - long queue for check-in although the check-in agent and BA's ground handling team generally were pleasant and helpful. We were very grateful for a short and efficient security process. No BA lounge so used the TGI Fridays which again was very busy but decent food at an ok price as we had complementary BA vouchers. Decent range of shops and managed to find a postbox for my postcards despite being told by several airport employees that there was not one in the terminal. Boarding was crazy but thankfully I was entitled to use the priority line. My recommendation to avoid stress would be to arrive at least 2 hours before you are due to travel as long queues appear to be the norm at this airport.

Cancun Airport customer review

We were prepared for waiting as it was Christmas week. It took us about 40 minutes to clear immigration which was fine. However when we reached the baggage claim it was pandemonium. The entire room was full and lines snaked everywhere. They were actually using X-Ray machines to screen every bag leaving the terminal. I have traveled extensively world-wide and know of no country that is doing this including the U.S. What could Mexican Authorities possibly think tourists are smuggling into Cancun on already screened Aircraft? It took us 1.5hrs to exit the Baggage area and from what we heard we were lucky. There was more danger created by the shear amount of people crammed into that baggage room than there ever could have been by failing to X-Ray bags leaving the Airport.

Cancun Airport customer review

Immigration hell. Took us 2 hours 30 minutes to get through and others longer. Friends arrived two days before us and they had same experience so not a one off. Worst I have ever experienced in 35 years of travel.

Cancun Airport customer review

Landed at CUN airport from a flight coming from Montreal. There was at least 30 minutes of waiting to pass passport control probably because there were many flights landing at the same time mostly coming from the USA but my bags were already out. Check-in and to clear security went smoothly. The terminal was not very big but it's pretty busy. Overall Cancun airport is not too bad and it has a couple of shops and restaurants.

Cancun Airport customer review

Just returned this morning Cancun to Glasgow. Check-in at Cancun was shambolic as we had to join a queue leading to two premium seating check-in desks displaying on the monitor check in for Manchester and Glasgow. When we eventually got to a desk it was just a shambles the PHS handling staff member labelled our suitcases then for some reason lifted them off the conveyor and then just by chance after we arrived at the departure lounge we noticed that we had been allocated economy seating at the rear of the aircraft. After contacting a female member of PHS staff she managed to get our seating changed to Premium. Needless to say our two suitcases never arrived in Glasgow. So be aware if you visit Cancun.

Cancun Airport customer review

Very nice well organized airport has improved greatly over the three times we have visited the area. However - do not purchase food or gifts at the shops. Lunch for 2 adults and 2 children $123. Purchased a few gifts once we got home noticed the suggested retail prices was whited out and we were charged double what it should have been. Very disappointing and has contributed to our decision not to return to the area.

(Japan)

I use this airport several times a year. Though the name says "International" it is an ordinary US regional airport. The airport is served by feeder commuter flights for majors plus some mainline flights. A small restaurant and a few shops are at the terminal. The terminal is well kept and is connected to a parking building so that you do not have to go out during the cold winter. The free WiFi is available. I would like to mention that TSA personnel's at this airport are professionals and have never been unpleasant.