Cancun Airport

"there were lot's of officials to catch you!"

Not Verified | After passport and luggage pick up there were lot's of officials to catch you! I'd put 3 pack of cigarettes in my bag incase the duty free was not open. It was open so I purchased a carton in EWR. When I was asked if I had cigarettes truthfully replied yes, at the 4th luggage search they had found the additional 3 packs, will be not allowed to destroy it therefore forced to pay $78 duty/tax at a 637% rate on $12 value. There were lot's of people waiting to pay for a few packs of cigarettes, alcohol or an extra computer (one personal, one work). They are in full force out there to get you and make you pay at 637% rate. This is ridiculous! The Embassy in Washington said as long as I was given a proof of payment it's all legal. Basically I had paid $90 for 3 packs of cigarettes. I have no idea how much others must had paid for work computer, iPad, liquor. Good luck for supporting their economy, they are definitely helping themselves to more.
Date VisitAugust 2020

"a very good, clean, safe and efficient airport"

Trip Verified | Cancun is a very good, clean, safe and efficient airport. During this COVID-19 era they have extra safety and cleaning measures in place and you can see and feel them. Flying out of Cancun be prepared for extra luggage screenings all they way to the gate and when flying into Cancun almost everyone on my flight got their luggage opened and hand checked. This could be bothersome but if you've got nothing to hide then you’re fine. For me it was no problem as it made me feel more safe. Flying out of CUN you will also need to compete an online COVID-19 questionnaire that will be given to you at check in with your airline, make sure your phone is charged and with signal or logged to the airport’s WiFi. You will also need a QR reader app. I would like to point out that coming from the USA you are allowed to bring in your hand luggage a large bottle of hand sanitizer, however that’s not the case when flying out of Cancun, they still have the old 3oz rule. Don’t get angry as not everyone will speak English, even immigration officers don’t speak English, have your phone ready with an app that can help you. I really like this airport, is clean, bright and well light, lots to do, safe and efficient.
Date VisitJuly 2020

"Plenty of choices for everybody"

Trip Verified | The Arrival process: Two years after our previous holiday to the Yucatan, we got to use the new Terminal 4 still under construction back in 2018. Deplaned with a reasonable walk to the Immigration section, not very busy so we were through in about 5 minutes. There appeared to be a "Priority queue" for us to use, but took a pass as we were next up when it was noticed. A bit of a walk out to baggage claim, nice washrooms right as you make the left turn to the carousels. Luggage had already begun to appear and all pieces seemed to be Air Transat Priority as it should have been. When the outcoming bags seemed to stop, I looked into the "hole" to see a case that was askew had blocked up the whole lot. Told a nearby staff who shut down the belt, crawled through the hole and sorted it out. Moments later we were off to Customs and for whatever reason got directed into the hand search section. (as opposed to the X-ray machines). A quick & cursory look by a very pleasant and friendly agent had us moving along within minutes. The inspection tables have a "slide" at one end so heavy cases do not have to be hauled up in a "clean & jerk" action like some airports. Straight out to the final passageway, followed the signage and straight out to the transportation area. Note that the exit doors have full size advertising plastered on them making them look just like a typical airport billboard. Had to look close to see they were the exit doors! The bus area seems to be a lot bigger and nicer than T-3, not too hard to find our driver. Overall, this terminal has wide passageways, spacious carousel areas and good signage making us feel it was easy to navigate. The Departure process: Entered the Departures check-in area and as Air Transat had just opened, not a lot of pax queued up yet. Went up the Club path and was quickly escorted over to an open desk which really was for the Econ pax. (almost felt we were doing a walk-of-shame.) After a quick stop at the nearby loo, moved along and up the escalator to Security which was similar to most airports. Lots of bins to discard not allowed items. Once through, it's directly into Duty Free where we only paused once to confirm that we got better a price pre-ordering on the AT in-flight service. Being fairly new, the concourse still has a "clean & shiny" air about it. Lots of eateries, souvenir shops, bars, etc. as expected. Plenty of choices for everybody. Didn't really check them out as the Mera lounge awaited our presence. At boarding time we proceeded back upstairs and right to the gate conveniently adjacent to the lounges. Our Club Class line was properly marked and we passed though to board quickly. Overall, the whole van-to-gate process was painless and without drama. (until I lost my wife at Cinco Soles) CUN airport authority has definitely done T-4 right proper.

"management is unprofessional"

Not Verified | Cancun Airport Terminal 4 Arrival by car Long traffic queues due to unorganised and chaotic traffic and parking in the unloading area. Seating The new large Terminal 4 (international flights) offers no seating facilities in the check in area. Any passenger waiting for check in to open, feeling tired or in need to repack his luggage will not find any seating except in the few expensive restaurants. Information Information in the web about the new terminal 4 including layout, maps, facilities, transfer to other terminals is close to nonnexistent. Gate information will not be shown until 60 minutes before the flight despite the 180 minutes requirement for check in and very few pending departures. Flight information at the gate (including flight number, destination) was not given or shown before boarding time. Food & Shopping Very few and very expensive food outlets available specially after hours. Duty free shopping price level is above international level. Charging facilities Most charging facilities in the waiting area at the new airport are defective and can't be used. Boarding process at the gate is chaotic and unorganised. Overall management of this terminal is unprofessional.
Date VisitMarch 2020

"One of the worst airports"

Not Verified | One of the worst airports I have ever travelled to/from. The departure lounge is opulent and flamboyant with high prices to match, and that's o.k. as I may choose to not buy, but when there are NO water fountains throughout the whole departure area and the air conditioning is frigid as we wait 2.5 hours longer than our expected departure time at midnight, this is an abuse of our passenger rights. The seats are hard, cold plastic so forget trying to sleep away some of the 'delay' - even staff complained about the frigid air.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"receive no answer to my calls"

Not Verified | Went will a few friends back in Feb 2020. When arriving had almost a 2 hour wait in a line up that did not move. Once we got through immigration and got our luggage we had someone inspect our baggage. Grabbed my husbands cigarettes and said we owed $4.00 duty per pack. I said keep them but they refused and told me I must pay $30.00 US by credit card. Frustrated i just paid the fee. Once we got home our credit card showed we paid $247.00 Canadian for 4 pcks of Cigarettes. A friend that was with us bough a carton in Cancun at the airport and upon trying to go through to get our bus was charged $100.00 US for cigarettes he had purchased only a few minutes before. No one would help us. I then missed our car to get us to the hotel and was charged $100.00 US to get us 20 mins away. Disturbing. I have tried to contact the airport but receive no answer to my calls or emails.

"Horrible for layovers"

Trip Verified | Horrible for layovers. No seating anywhere inside or outside the airport, unless you go to the overpriced restaurants. You’re not allowed to check your bag until three hours prior to departure, and you cannot enter the waiting area inside security until your bag is checked. There are no lockers anywhere in the airport. The nearest available for baggage storage are at the ADO terminal in downtown Cancun. There is a free shuttle between terminals that runs every 20 minutes which is convenient. However, it is quite interesting that the terminals are not labeled as to Number.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"everything you could ever want or need"

Trip Verified | A great spacious airport with everything you could ever want or need. The big glass windows makes the place feel very comfortable and you don’t feel cramped inside. Checking in and security where a breeze. I loved my time there before my flight to Philly. I had a better time at the airport than onboard my AA flight.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"did not get hassled by anyone"

Not Verified | The customs people were very good and attentive to the needs of travellers, the airport is clean and we did not get hassled by anyone on the way out, on the way back through to LAX the same again (and a sign that informed that you didn't have to take your shoes off) very good signage and communication from the customs staff, good shopping and food outlets around the airport, very relaxing.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"does not make flight change announcements"

Not Verified | This airport does not make flight change announcements while you are sitting in departures. They can change the gate of your departure 45 minutes before your departure so you need to look at the board constantly because the change will not be announced through the airport. This is simple, verbal communication would make a world of difference in getting flights off the ground on time.
Date VisitDecember 2019