Calgary Airport

"slow and hectic with long lines"

Trip Verified | I have accepted that traveling through the international airport of my hometown is slow and hectic with long lines, no real Nexus line for outbound international flights, generally it's a terrible experience. It gets worse if you travel domestically with a bike which I do a fair bit. The new oversized baggage scanners can't fit a bike bag or box. The old ones did but you had to convince the staff to try and if they would they would go through. Now it's at least a 30 minute process to unpack your bike bag, individually scan each item, empty every pocket then repack everything. And if there are a few of you traveling with your bikes, well, do the math. You need to insist that they get extra staff and of course this adds to the already pleasant experience of the passengers waiting to check golf clubs extra behind you. It's an airport that doesn't care about the customer experience.
Date VisitJuly 2021

"This airport is the slowest"

Not Verified | This airport is the slowest, dirty and too big! Cant find anything especially some of the gates! Absolutely ridiculous! When you do find something open its a pop machine. Wow IT doesn't work! Needed some stuff from one of the makeup machines, finally had a chance to try out as usual it doesn't work. Slow, slow, slow! Slow to board planes, slow to exit planes. It like its a surprise that a plane landed, certainly always waiting for the crew to even show up to load a plane and even worse always waiting for the Calgary ground crew to show up for flights to come in so we can get off the plane.
Date VisitFebruary 2021

"not allow us to put it on our checked luggage"

Trip Verified | We purchased duty free Mexico and because it had a twist tie with a bill enclosed and not sealed it was taken from us. They also would not allow us to put it on our checked luggage. The only way we could have kept it was to have it shipped to us which would have been another cost. I find this unacceptable.
Date VisitDecember 2020

"airport is very inefficient"

Trip Verified | My wife and I were returning from Cabo, Mexico connecting through Calgary to Vancouver Saturday October 31st. We are aware of having to transfer from international arrivals to a domestic terminal for the flight to Vancouver, plus claim and re check luggage and go through security again is a pain but the terrible staffing, poor layout of the airport and frustratingly long process makes an already time consuming process even longer and really frustrating. We get that we were travelling during a pandemic, and respect that at a time when air travel is at an all time low, staff levels are low, and services such as food availability are limited. But, that airport is very inefficient, the layout is awful, and the distance from arrival gate to departure gate is not just a long walk to reclaim our luggage, check the bags again, then walk another long distance to a security area but security staff were either new and inexperienced or simply didn’t have proper training in people skills or how to screen passengers in a thorough manner! Maybe they just didn’t care! Security delays there were frankly pathetic! Staff didn’t work well together, they walked around leaving passengers to stand and wait to walk through sensors and looked confused and didn’t care at all! After screening the carry on bags, 1 of the security guys pulled my wife off to the side and opened a duty free bag of perfume my wife had purchased when we left Cabo. He told us he had to test the contents (Perfume)! Sealed in a duty free bag, so he opened the bag, walked around looking for something to test the contents (liquid) and after another added delay he handed her the bag like we were inconveniencing him! We must admit being in Mexico was great, relaxing and very low stress. Coming back home to Canada and experiencing that airport and security staff was a sign that the Calgary airport service level simply sucks! Made coming home actually feel like we were coming home to people, providing a service that was simply awful across the board. After no food service on the flights, and we get it, travelling during Covid is limited to what they can offer, but when flights are still arriving and departing at an airport shouldn’t there be some food service available for passengers needing to each something other than chips, snacks etc! This was at 8.20pm on a Saturday night! Let’s be better than that. Let’s be a country when travellers land in our country at airports in our cities, that we’re hospitable, helpful and courteous or at least be up to minimum service levels. Hopefully Calgary airport management starts to pay attention that the experience for travellers in your airport is poorly managed.
Date VisitOctober 2020

"by far the most inefficient airport"

Not Verified | As a fairly frequent traveller I must say this is by far the most inefficient airport I have ever been through. Nexus and Global Entry lines do not exist when going through security, which usually has only 1 or 2 lines open. Be prepared to walk a ways through to customs and you’d better have all your posting passes to show. The distance to other concourses and gates is remarkably long. I find most of the staff very friendly which is nice after a day of travel. I avoid this airport as much as possible and prefer to fly out of Edmonton.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"we had a 25 minute walk"

Not Verified | Travelling from YYZ to YLW thru YYC. Landed there with a 45 minute connection and discovered that we had a 25 minute walk from 72 to A18. Stressful because we were travelling with our Golden Retriever as baggage and were afraid we would miss the flight and were unsure what would happen. Not sure why WestJet lands domestic flights in International. I guess it is more profitable to make 112 passengers walk over a kilometer than to move a plane. No sign of the ambassodors. Useless signing for the shuttle.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"process really does not make much sense"

Trip Verified | Arrived in customs and moved through well. We were required to pick up our bags, exit and then go through security once again. The distance between customs and Gate A is quite far and a fair distance for seniors. The process really does not make much sense and best ensure you have ample time for your connection. The worst part was security at Gate A (Dec 29, 8.15 pm). Three security individuals at the front and no Nexus line open. People forced to “merge” on their own without any supervision. You can only imagine how that process goes with people waiting in one line as others try to merge on their own. Really poor supervision and this is the second I have experienced the same thing! You will need at least 90 mins if you plan on making a connection in Calgary. Very unhelpful professionals specifically at security.

"a good experience"

Trip Verified | Arrived YYC from the USA late at night. Customs via machine was fast and efficient. No line at customs control. Departure - Roadway signs are fairly confusing, lots of information on a single sign. USA departure lounge is spacious with lots of light. Screening time was okay - not too bad considering it was a busy holiday season. Fortunately, there's Global Entry for U.S. citizens. USA departures area is a long walk from the rental car area (which is across from Canada domestic departures). All in all, a good experience.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"agent said cane was a weapon"

Not Verified | Upon arrival to Bahamas my knee was very bad so I picked up a cane the last day or two it was much better and through the airport I used my carry on bag with wheels as support so my wife carried my cane after passing security and having it allowed with me the first 6 and a half hours of my trip it was taken away for the last 1 hour flight to Saskatoon because the agent said it was a weapon, then proceeded to go on the defensive that she didn’t really want it she was taking it and donating to the chapel.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"Security check: very slow"

Trip Verified | Security check: very slow. Gardaworld employees. One guy found an issue with a bit of liquid left in my water bottle and I had to go out to empty the bottle (drinking it was not allowed), then go through the whole process again. Awful!
Date VisitOctober 2019