Calgary Airport

Calgary Airport customer review

Our journey to Calgary and passage through Canadian Customs was happily achieved with no delays with no waiting lines and up to ten Canadian Customs officers on duty. Our return trip from Calgary to Philadelphia via Chicago was very trying for many reasons. We arrived at YYC at 2 pm two hours before our flight to learn that our flight was delayed to 5-20 pm. Although a sign stated that we were barred from entering customs until two hours before our flight time no one advised us that it would take more than ninety minutes to pass through US Customs and YYC Airport Security. We entered US Customs at 4:00 pm at which point the waiting line was backed up outside the door from the terminal with only two US Customs officials on duty and a third serving flight crews and a supervisor doing nothing. There was a fourth official person circulating through the waiting crowd assuring all that no one would miss their flights. We asked him about our Chicago flight and he assured us that our flight would not leave without us. A full one hour later we finally got to the front of the line cleared US Customs and proceeded around the corner to arrive at YYC Airport Security and we realized that there were three lines open and only one of the lines was actually moving. It took 40 minutes to clear Airport Security who were opening every single bag and patting down nearly every passenger; including those who passed the metal detector. So we finally exited YYC Airport Security at 5:40 pm and went to Gate 31 but our flight had already departed at 5:20pm. The result of this is that we were then sent back through Canadian Customs to return to United ticketing with the knowledge that we were destined to suffer through US Customs and YYC Airport Security again before departing Calgary. We were then presented with another line of at least an hour at Canadian Customs. However after about ten minutes we were thankfully rescued by a Canadian Customs official who took us to the front of the crew line. We arrived again at YYC the next day three hours prior to our flight time cleared U.S. Customs in seven minutes with eight U.S. Customs agents working. We cleared YYC Airport Security in seven minutes operating four lines opening only selected bags or purses. We were at our gate a two hours prior to rollback. How can you expect American tourists to visit Calgary and Banff if they continue to be mistreated in this way? Assuming that all airlines provide expected passenger volume information to U.S. Customs and YYC Airport Security and that anyone is using this information to manage these services how does it take one hour and forty minutes to get from the terminal to the gate? If people are going to miss their flights why is a U.S. Customs official circulating through the hour-long line telling us that we are not going to miss our flights? Why is there no advice to passengers regarding the current expected time delay to arrive at their gate? (This could be easily achieved by having a time written on any (or every) boarding pass when entering from the terminal and then noted by the person receiving passengers at the metal detectors who could then provide this information back to the entrance of U.S. Customs who could write it on a white-board sign.) Canadian Customs already uses a similar method to measure wait time. I provide this information and these questions in the hope that I may one-day return to Calgary without fear of wasting another day of my life (and the cost of hotel and meals) as a prisoner of U.S. Customs and YYC Airport Security.

Calgary Airport customer review

Used Calgary airport for our departure point from Canada. We were dropped off by coach at ground level took some working out to departure level. After that check in for BA was a breeze security smooth but disappointed with the departure lounge several eating outlets not much choice for shopping the lady in duty free shop put me off by asking if I was on a international flight or else should get moving I thought she was closing the shop left without spending any money. This is probably due to all domestic and international flights leaving from same departure area.

Calgary Airport customer review

Calgary is one of the better airports around. Baggage delivery was prompt after arriving on domestic flight. On departure getting through security was a quick and painless experience. Passengers departing from the "D" concourse can avail themselves of the various airside restaurants and shops. Comfortable armchairs set up around the concourse are a pleasant alternative to typical uncomfortable departure lounge seating. Large quantities of natural light in the "D" concourse also nice to have.

Calgary Airport customer review

Flew Frankfurt-Calgary-Edmonton. Arrived in Calgary at 4pm. Customs took seconds and our bags arrived within minutes of deplaning. Connection staff were slow though. 2 staff using paper lists to find all connecting passengers. Air Canada concierge working there helped us get booked onto a new flight at 5 pm.. We had to speedwalk not run accross the airport and re- clear security. Directions were clear but the airport looked dated. Security at A gates was very slow as we had an hour total in calgary. Area for Commuter planes gate A8 was small but fine. After a quick walk out to the turboprop we were on the plane by 10 to 5 so from getting off one plane clearing customs rechecking our bags clearing security and getting on the next flight it was 50 minutes. Amazing.

Calgary Airport customer review

When Air Canada informed us that our flight times had been changed leaving us under 90 minutes between the arrival of our flight from Houston and the departure of our flight to Vancouver I was nervous since we'd have to go through Immigration and Customs and get to our new flight but the airline assured me it was plenty of time. We passed through Immigration and Customs very quickly (I have a U.S. passport and my wife has a Brazilian passport and U.S. permanent residency card) and then walked briskly over the long distance to our departure gate. We made our flight with time to spare (not a lot of time mind you but enough to allow a quick trip to a rest room before boarding was announced). I can't comment on most of the airport's facilities but at least in our case transiting was fast and easy.

Calgary Airport customer review

I cannot agree with these comments. I am a British citizen living in the States and every time bar one that I have entered Canada at Calgary airport (via Chicago) at immigration I have been told to go to the separate office at the back behind immigration. There I have had to wait for ages before being questioned in detail about my purpose in visiting Canada. I have seen this happen to other visitors too. I am fortunate to have travelled all over the world in my life and I have not experienced this at any other airport ever. Next time I have to go to western Canada I will go another way perhaps via Toronto even if it takes longer.

Calgary Airport customer review

Nice building but it's a bit of a walk if you're connecting between Concourse A and D. Shopping plentiful outside the secure area and prices reasonable. Airport volunteers in cowboy hats add character to the place.

Calgary Airport customer review

Adequate building overall but about the "Stetsoned Welcomer Wagon" people: Rather than a nice touch it's like being cornered by some kind of cheerleading mascot. Some people's idea of fun perhaps. I also note the lack of a needed rail link here as even though it's a small city the traffic is an honest concern (throughout not just to the airport.) Air service is adequate for North America.

Calgary Airport customer review

After our negative experience at JFK Calgary airport was a wonderful breath of fresh air. It didn't take long to go through customs where the staff were friendly and approachable. The staff with our coach to Banff (2 hours away) were lovely and during our 40 min wait we had coffee and actually relaxed. Getting our luggage was quick too.

Calgary Airport customer review

It is always a pleasure to fly into Calgary or Vancouver airports. The red waistcoated and stetsoned "welcomers" are a really nice touch and very helpful for information. Had a 7 hour lay over in Calgary. The airport is clean and shops are interesting. We spent a couple of hours having lunch in a proper - non food court - restaurant which helped time pass. We also like being able to store our luggage until it could be checked in at a reasonably modest charge. 7 hours lay over in an airport is never fun but if you have to do it it's a much better experience in Calgary than elsewhere.