Calgary Airport

"staff were really unfriendly and rude"

Trip Verified | Worst experience in my whole life, took more than 1 hour to finish security screening for a domestic flight and staff were really unfriendly and rude.
Date VisitNovember 2021

"International baggage claim has taken over 1.5 hours"

Not Verified | International baggage claim has taken over 1.5 hours my last three trips. Completely unacceptable for a city that wants to be an international destination. No taxi services at either of the far ends of the airport either (one end being international terminal). General cleanliness and staff friendliness was fine.
Date VisitNovember 2021

"Not a great experience"

Not Verified | Our plane broke down at gate 88, this area is in a security zone with barely any seating and only a convenience store for food. Big open space, nice and clean but no seats or amenities. Not a great experience.
Date VisitOctober 2021

"This airport is complete unorganized chaos"

Trip Verified | This airport is complete unorganized chaos. Flew in internationally to travel to another domestic airport. They had separate lines for people leaving to pick up baggage or if they had a connecting flight. Which didn't make a difference since they both made you go through baggage claim. Staff just want to herd you through instead of answer questions. No clear direction on where to go for connecting flights. Then I was randomly selected for a covid test, annoying but whatever. I'm pretty sure the people doing the swabs aren't medical or just have no idea what they're doing. They just swabbed the outside of my nares because apparently they don't know what nasopharyngeal means. So that swab is coming back negative regardless. Then because they made me leave security for that swab, I had to go back through on the other side of the airport where they complained I had water in my bottle. I just came from a flight and am trying to make my next one, no I didn't stop to empty it during that time. And a piece of paper in my laptop really befuddled them. Acted like it was the most dangerous thing they've ever seen.

"No social distancing"

Trip Verified | Worst airport ever. I rated a couple of years ago (pre covid) and some construction has occurred but no improvement. Poor layout, low quality restaurants but expensive. No social distancing. Seating limited and uncomfortable.
Date VisitOctober 2021

"seating at the gates is extremely limited"

Trip Verified | They have built the new extension to ensure people walk as far as possible with little alternative or accessibility solutions (they will tell you they do but they do not operate after 8pm). The seating at the gates is extremely limited. If your flight is at 50% capacity or more don’t expect to sit at the gate.
Date VisitSeptember 2021

"Why did they not have multiple chairs throughout the airport"

Not Verified | My boyfriend hurt himself during our trip and needed a wheelchair to walk 1.4 km to the other end of the airport because they changed our boarding location at the last minute. He was in agony by the time we got to the gate D92. If we would have waited for them to order a wheelchair from the back (because there were not any sitting there available to use) we would have missed our flight as they were boarding 5 min after we got to the gate. My 2 questions are: 1) Why did they not have multiple chairs throughout the airport because they do not have conveyer sidewalks? 2) Why did they not hold the flight until we got a chair brought out to take him to the other side since they changed the location to 1.4 km walk for an injured person. We ended up finding out he had 3 cracked ribs he was travelling home with.

"unnecessarily long lines"

Not Verified | Small airport with unnecessarily long lines and stickler security - especially during covid when there is less traffic already. At least the officers were courteous.
Date VisitSeptember 2021

"the most inefficient airport"

Not Verified | Calgary Airport may look shiny and new with all the additions and renovations, but it is far and away the most inefficient airport I have ever been through. Today I checked in at WestJet at one end of the terminal and had to walk clear to the other end for my gate, D90. The instructions were to go through security at D - confusing, as D is labeled "international" and I was travelling domestic. As I walked (and walked and walked) there were some small signs saying that domestic travellers could also use gates B and C, though only at certain times. To someone not completely familiar with the airport this is not helpful: should one line up at B or C only to be told to use D, or walk to D and be turned away because one is travelling domestic rather than international? there were people with lanyards standing around who encouraged me to use D, although their function wasn't clear and I didn't entirely trust that they knew. If one is not yet through security, there is no way, other than walking, to get from WestJet checkin to gate D90. I'm a senior but I can still walk well; in future years - if I am unable to avoid Calgary Airport - suppose I could order a golf cart. Once inside security the situation was no better - no visible alternative to walking (e.g. moving sidewalks, an internal transport system) in section D. While I have used the little "golf-cart train" in other sections previously, I must say that these are the most ludicrous and inefficient way of moving people I've ever seen at an airport. Fortunately I no longer live in Calgary so I do not have to use the airport often, and - like most people I know - I try to avoid it if I can. Whenever going through it is unavoidable, though, the terrible experience is confirmed - miles and miles of walking, illogical organization, poor signage, very little good and attractive seating. It is highly unfortunate that the planning has been so abysmal. I suppose I could say that the airport is clean - that's about the only positive I can think of.
Date VisitAugust 2021

Calgary Airport customer review

Trip Verified | I have traveled through all Canadian tier 1 airports and many tier 2 airports, YYC is far and away the worst in terms of passenger experience bar none. Typical issues: long waits at gate security, no nexus at all for domestic (likely Covid related) or international (always). Food: few restaurants in domestic and usually understaffed or little seating. Shopping, or, trashy shops, no high-end shopping like say Vancouver. Seating: a disastrous situation. Now, in covid times: Bob and his crew have really done a poor job. Our locally based international airline, Westjet, and their passengers, are forced to walk a KM or so from the normal A and B gates to international gates D and E. There is no transport, no guidance and no seating on the way, this is a real gaff. How does Air Canada get to use all the close gates, a carrier based in Montreal?
Date VisitJuly 2021