Calgary Airport

"Wow wasn’t expecting this!"

Not Verified | Upon arrival from the US we enter an empty wing, we come across a sliding door. It doesn’t automatically open. One man decided to pull them apart with his hands after a few moments so we could get through. Walking in a direction to customs (just guessing), all machines are down. Fill out via paper form fine. Customs guy showed no emotion, almost like a robot. Walk out, literally no one. Ask the one employee I find where’s the Uber pick up, she gives me the wrong directions. They do not allow pickup for arrivals. Coming back to go home to the US and immediately greeted with a line at check in since we always have an issue as my last name contains an apostrophe. Somehow make it through (do not check bag) to security. No TSA pre check. There is literally only one security line for all American flights. I forgot to take off my shoes and they send me through the wrong metal detector. The security agent somehow didn’t notice me when I walked through so I had to take off my shoes and go through again. Never seen a worse security line. Customs officer seemed out of it and didn’t stamp any of our passports or even check my mom’s. Make it through and am greeted by a duty free shop with no signs. Walk past that after yelling (couldn’t see any workers of course) how do I get out of here and see a Burger King and a Starbucks. Starbucks worker was nice and efficient. Make it to the terminal. Seating fills up fast and you’re cooking in a glass box. Make it on airplane. No ground crew so we had to wait 20 minutes for that. I held my breath till we got in the air. I was so afraid the flight was going to be cancelled like it was for those going to Vegas. Thank god I am out of there. Do not check bags and if you need assistance, completely avoid. How sad for Calgary, will not be visiting again. Just fly into Edmonton and drive. Also the rental car service is 3x the price compared to rental car services in downtown Calgary. Wow wasn’t expecting this!

"Very inefficient"

Not Verified | Worst security check we’ve ever experienced. Very inefficient. They patted down 3 people and held up the entire line until each person was done. Then they had a queue of bags that had already gone through that had to be rechecked and only one person checking them. When they finally got to my laptop and cpap they said the cpap had to go through again even though the person at the start said it didn’t need to come out. We’ve traveled all over the world and never have seen it this bad. New training and procedures are needed.
Date VisitJuly 2022

"Worst airport experience ever"

Not Verified | Worst airport experience ever. The workers and security personnel are completely unprofessional and rude. Barking orders at people without providing direction and in an unfriendly manner. Very, very, terrible service provided from the YYC airport. Every other airport that I have been to around the world has not been this inefficient or unprofessional. Do better, management, and train your employees properly. I departed for my flight with my husband in the AM of July 8th, 2022.
Date VisitJuly 2022

"Airport security are horrible"

Not Verified | Calgary Airport security are horrible. This review would be full of expletives but I don’t want it to get taken down. Flew into Calgary and had to exit the secure area to try and change a flight. I was travelling with a small potted rose (a gift for my mother with sentimental value) and I called CTSA prior to flying out of ottawa and they said I can request a manual search to avoid the plant going through the x-ray machine (which causes mutations in plants). The Ottawa staff happily did the manual search. In Calgary, when I went through security, the workers at security did not believe me that CTSA said it was OK, and after much back and forth I was forced to put it through the x-ray machine, despite this not being an issue AT ALL at the Ottawa Airport. One worker even said “I’ve seen plenty (of plants) go through and they’re all fine.” Obviously this worker doesn’t see any damage to plants because she only sees them for the 5min it takes to go through security, not the weeks and months after when the real damage is exposed. I hope you’re happy you double checked that dangerous pot of dirt.
Date VisitJuly 2022

"re-train the people working the Security"

Not Verified | Someone needs to re-train the people working the Security check line. They kept insisting that our passport would not work for global entry on the customs machines and we would need our nexus card, and that’s not true. When we finally convinced them to let us try, we went right through with no issues. Also, once we got to the gate area, there wasn’t a place to fill your water bottle except a sink next to the trash cans in the food court where people were putting their dirty trays
Date VisitJune 2022

"waiting 2.5 hours my small suitcase was located"

Trip Verified | Arrived at 6pm direct flight from Halifax. Travelled with my mom who is 83. The information screen indicated our bags would be at carousel #2. After a two hour wait only a few passengers luggage arrived on the carousel. After waiting 2.5 hours my small suitcase was located in the oversized luggage. At this time my mothers luggage and many other passengers luggage still hadn't arrived. I proceeded to the Westjet service counter to make an inquiry on where is my mothers luggage and why is the flight passengers luggage being dropped in oversize luggage area(without an announcement) The response was "we have no idea why". Finally my moms luggage appeared in the oversized luggage area, along with other passengers luggage. I forgot to mentioned carousel #2 was empty. Usually if you luggage is missing or did not make the plane the Service provider will deliver your luggage at a later time. This service was not offered. I fully understand being short staffed but to have luggage arrive in the wrong locations is unacceptable. I would not recommend for anyone travelling to Western Canada to use Calgary airport.
Date VisitJune 2022

"I am just appalled by the way customers were treated"

Not Verified | Horrendous and traumatic experience upon arriving from the UK to Calgary. Security staff are rude and unprofessional. Barking orders at people and not using basic "please and thank you" language. Chaotic and confusing when you are already tired from a long flight. Waited for luggage over an hour and a half late. Finally when it comes and travellers can leave, a final security staff asks people for further clarification/documents. (Unexpected and pointless request as they already been checked about 4 times!) I am just appalled by the way customers were treated and it has put me off flying for life.
Date VisitJune 2022

"I've never been treated this poorly in an airport ever"

Not Verified | Calgary is a beautiful city with a beautiful airport. The people working at the airport have been good to me for most of my experience. The only trouble I've had is with the security staff. They are rude and they do not treat you like a human-being. It's clear to me that very few of them have the 'growth' mentality as they would be more sensitive to poor reviews from customers. Calgary deserves better representatives in these important positions. Security is already a high-anxiety portion of travel. The security staff should be extremely conscious and communicative throughout the process. However barking out orders at people with zero knowledge of them personally is what I have experienced. People are not cattle. They are not to be herded and barked at like cattle. Manners were created for a purpose. "Please Ma'am" "Excuse me sir" "Could you please stand over here" "I am sorry ma'am you are facing the wrong way" "Sir please wait with your bags, thank you sir" - instead of "stand over here! I said over here!" and "buddy I said wait with your bags", I mean clearly just from the writing alone you can understand why I am so disappointed. More than sad, it's pathetic really. I thought as time goes on we would get better! Not worse. I am 27 years old. My mom was a flight attendant. I've been flying my whole life. I've never been treated this poorly in an airport ever. Even at Heathrow, Pearson, or Paris. Please, do something, the city deserves better. I went through security at 8am on Thursday June 9th.

"absolutely poor management"

Not Verified | Horrible baggage system, waits for 20-30 minutes for baggage. Understaffed. Waited on tarmac for 20 minutes, then waited another 30 minutes for baggage , chalk this up to absolutely poor management.
Date VisitJune 2022

"extremely unhappy with the security check"

Not Verified | I went through many airport securities. Worst security. I am impressed with the clear direction sign of rental return parking, but extremely unhappy with the security check. While security is important, privacy needs to be protected as well.
Date VisitMay 2022