Calgary Airport

"Security check: very slow"

Trip Verified | Security check: very slow. Gardaworld employees. One guy found an issue with a bit of liquid left in my water bottle and I had to go out to empty the bottle (drinking it was not allowed), then go through the whole process again. Awful!
Date VisitOctober 2019

"one of the worst airports to go through"

Not Verified | Third and last time I will travel through Calgary, one of the worst airports to go through, they have arrivals and departures a mile apart. If you have a short layover and connection, under an hour, you’ll be rushed to get to your gate. Today, Oct 28, we had a 45 minute layover and with our plane being 15 mins late we did not make the gate and were delayed 6 hours to next flight. We went from paying premium fares for a flight to economy, back of the plane. If you do decide to go through Calgary and are connecting there, make sure you have at least 1.5 to 2 hours between flights cause anything less than that and you might miss your flight. And forget about WestJet, this is their headquarters and they couldn’t care less whether you kiss your flight or not, they are not accommodating at all.

"absolutely no line ups"

Not Verified | I love the new machines and not having to fill out a paper customs form. There was absolutely no line ups and I sailed through. My beef is with an agent that stands at the exit after you collect your bags. She was asking everyone where they had been and how long, etc. I told her where I was and that I was gone a week. Then she asked what was in my one suitcase and I said clothes. Then she asked "Can you explain why you have so many clothes for a week away?" Really? I paid $30 each way to take my one suitcase and now it's being implied that's too much? I hope this isn't a new system they've dreamed up.

"Ugly and depressing"

Trip Verified | Calgary was the third connection of a 24 hour day of International travel. First of all, they did not connect our luggage to our last flight, we had to go collect from a baggage carrousel, re-check it, and go through security all over again .. after a ridiculously long line up to declare on a machine that was difficult to understand in our extremely sleep deprived state, with a single customs officer checking print outs. Filling out scannable forms on our flight, giving them to our stewardess as we left the plane was a MUCH more efficient process. Where is signage? Big exit signs is not helpful for those catching a connecting flight. Gate signs would be helpful! Then there’s the actual terminal ... GateA03 was super confusing to find .. no electric walk ways, long soulless ugly tunnels to walk... unhelpful c/s guy in a cowboy hat directing us in the opposite direction of the signs made no sense. Finally find our gate and it’s literally a cement and metal corridor opening straight onto the runway .. seems that’s the finished product? Ugly and depressing .. windows are high so you are staring at ugly metal panels while waiting. Nowhere near enough seats, loads of people standing. You can do better YYC. Embarrassed to call you my home town. Glad I moved away years ago. We really wanted a nice cozy restaurant with big comfy chairs to eat a hot meal, check our email, and relax. Instead there’s a loud kid’s play area attached to a convenience store that sells beverages with a seating area with uncomfortable tables and chairs that screech loudly when pushed back on the floor. We sat in the carpeted area until our 3.5 hour layover was over. Not ideal.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"international wing is terrible"

Not Verified | Connected to US flight going and Domestic flight coming back. The international wing is terrible. There was a huge lineup for security and nexus was no benefit. Coming back in connections line, there was only one Nexus machine. Long way to anything. Kudos to the volunteers for lifts on the carts. Domestic side coming home had 2 sit downs. Flames grill with a limited menu was a disappointment. Need better restaurants. YVR is so much easier and also has better wifi.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"the worst design, badly managed airport"

Not Verified | Former airline employee. Have travelled all over the world. Calgary is hands down, the worst design, badly managed airport I have been to. Highest airport 'improvement' fee. Spread out with no rhyme or reason, long walks for all with no mechanical sidewalks or places for Leroy to rest. A complete and inefficient airport to connect anywhere. Just do not do it. Arrived at US departures, there is no active Nexus line for security, only a line up benefit. You must remove shoes, liquids, computers, sweaters etc. only airport in N America where there is nobenifet for having an advanced security designation. After merging into the regular line, a young woman stood 4 ft away and actually fully yelled instructions in my face. Not speaking loudly, actually yelling. Proceeded through customs, then you are forced on a winding detour through Duty Free shopping that is priced the same as Main Street shopping minus only tax. No savings and probably more expensive than sale prices outside of the airport. Food was extremely expensive, (15 dollars for a Pad Thai) and all dishes coming out of the Thai restaurant were the same brown sludge no matter what was ordered. Ice cream at menchies was over 7 dollars for the equivalent of one scoop. Plug in for computers were broken, and very little seating throughout the US departures concourse. If you can avoid this place, make sure you do.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"You can do better"

Not Verified | Caught a connection in Calgary on July 7th, and I returned on July 10th. The first connection had the gate departure change twice, then the flight was delayed. On the way back, the gate departure was again changed. The only redeeming factor was the trolley system otherwise I'd still be walking around in that airport. Come on Calgary! You can do better than that.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"only one line doing the security checking"

Trip Verified | Longest lines you have ever seen in your entire life! There was a 1:30 hour line at the security screening gate where waiting passengers upwards of an hour got into a verbal altercation with the airport personnel, almost to the level of a fight. They had been standing in one of the longest lines I have ever seen. Why was this line so large? Very simple. There was only one line doing the security checking for all these passengers, creating a bottle neck. Its obvious on Sunday mornings Calgarians do not bother to come to work until much later. They just make the passengers pay for it, by holding them in monstrously long lines. Why would they care? Calgary Airport would rank as the worst airport I have ever been to. (A) Unfriendly (B) Unhelpful (C) Do not care about international trallers (D) Are there to harass international travellers. I would not recommend Calgary Airport to anyone, anywhere. No Directions, no guidance, just sheer incompetence on display. Abject unapologetic incompetence.
Date VisitApril 2019

"all beyond expectations"

Trip Verified | Absolutely the best Canadian airport I have been to till date. The ambience, officials working, cleanliness, police officers and food stalls were all beyond expectations. The battery operated buses between gates are an absolute delight. The driver would even smile and wave at you if you're taking a picture. Keep it up.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"staff on a power trip"

Trip Verified | After waiting in an exceedingly long line at Calgary security, I was pulled aside by a very young inexperienced girl with no common sense. She took all my lipsticks & travel size items and dumped them into one of the dirty trays that all the boots etc are placed in. After going through all my personal items she told me that the mascara was considered a liquid and I would have to throw items out. I was simply flying back to Winnipeg from Calgary as I have done many time before but I guess I was never lucky enough to get the staff that was on a power trip. I ended up having to board the plane without my tiny hand sanitizer & eye drops for very dry eyes. To make my trip complete on a bright sunny day, as the WestJet plane sat at the gate, we were delayed. No word on why but it appeared that one of the crew was late arriving to work for flight WS738. However the good news is that everyone was safe because my mascara was being held at security.
Date VisitFebruary 2019