Calgary Airport

"staff on a power trip"

Trip Verified | After waiting in an exceedingly long line at Calgary security, I was pulled aside by a very young inexperienced girl with no common sense. She took all my lipsticks & travel size items and dumped them into one of the dirty trays that all the boots etc are placed in. After going through all my personal items she told me that the mascara was considered a liquid and I would have to throw items out. I was simply flying back to Winnipeg from Calgary as I have done many time before but I guess I was never lucky enough to get the staff that was on a power trip. I ended up having to board the plane without my tiny hand sanitizer & eye drops for very dry eyes. To make my trip complete on a bright sunny day, as the WestJet plane sat at the gate, we were delayed. No word on why but it appeared that one of the crew was late arriving to work for flight WS738. However the good news is that everyone was safe because my mascara was being held at security.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"have not had a good experience"

Not Verified | Unfortunately I have not had a good experience at this airport. I have been through many times over the last several months and Ground crews seem to be the biggest slowdown. Often the arriving plane needs to wait for crews. De-icing is a major problem, and causes major delays This is Canada, and flying in winter conditions is the norm that other airports handle adequately. I have seldom been on time with a flight through Calgary. Unfortunately it seems for now I will need to avoid this airport until it gets it act together!
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"poorly run and a design disaster"

Not Verified | This airport is poorly run and a design disaster. I arrived from the US and needed to go through customs and then a connecting flight. Once the aircraft landed the door and hallway maze starts. Some passengers go the wrong way and get lost. Very few people are available for directions, most often other travelers have to help out. Then customs another poor design. It was busy big lineups and complete chaos. Then the shuttle to move people, big lineup and no shuttles in sight. This airport has become a very poor place to transit. I try to use Vancouver or Edmonton airports because they are much better.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"What a horrible terminal"

Not Verified | What a horrible terminal. Obviously the people in charge of setting the specifications for the airport instructed the designers to build cheap. There are no moving sidewalks. There are no tables, where one can work while waiting for one's flight. I found some of the security staff rude. One pushed the tray at me and nearly knocked my phone and papers to the ground. I'm sitting here looking down E. It reminds me of a parking lot with glass on the side. There is an absolute lack of seating throughout the terminal.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"series of soulless corridors"

Not Verified | On November 18, 2018, for the first time we used one of the new domestic gates (C72), apparently part of the new international terminal. This rating applies only to the new "C" gates - the rest of YYC is as good as ever. What a disappointment. First the good news - distance to the gate was reasonable, corridor was bright & clean, and plenty of windows, and seating seemed to be (barely) adequate. Plenty of people were standing, but probably some were standing by choice. As usual, Westjet staff seemed to be doing their best, with a good attitude. Bad news - Inadequate toilets. For all the domestic gates C70-C79 there was a single facility. In the Men's there was 1 urinal and 3 stalls, 3 sinks, one good hand-dryer. The whole place was cramped, and often there was a line-up. My wife reports the Women's is identical except of course for 4 stalls and no urinals. - Practically no services - one nice little bar with adequate seating and a few TVs. - Crowded feeling - only a few feet between the toilets/bar on the left, gates and seating on the right; and the line-up for the gates filled these few feet. By comparison, Heathrow and LAX sometimes get a bad rap, but the worst I've seen there is so much better than YYC-C72. And YVR is vastly more pleasant and comfortable. Nowhere near the airplanes. Once we finally went through the gate line-up, we walked maybe 200m in a series of soulless corridors with little or no signage to reach the plane. It felt like an old Dr. Who episode, or like something out of Kafka. Perhaps in consequence, although boarding started about 40 minutes late, take-off was about 55 minutes late.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"design is a disaster"

Not Verified | Ridiculous long queue from international departure. Only one scanner. Disorganized chaos. They feed any and all priority boarding ahead of 200 other people with a continuing growing line. Common sense would have at least 2 scanners operating. I dread having to use the Calgary airport. The design is a disaster. Shiny clean and new does not take the place of safe fast and efficient. You need to add another 1 hour to your schedule if your stuck using this airport
Date VisitOctober 2018

"a failure of design"

Not Verified | I am dumbfounded every time I enter the newly renovated and extended YYC. I had truly hoped for a world class facility. Unfortunately, it is a failure of design and engineering. It is am embarrassment for a capable and innovative city. Either one must be willing to walk long distances or ride a weird and in frequent commuter service with pedestrian crosswalks that confuse most travellers. I am presently in the Vancouver Airport and, regrettably, I recommend it to all travellers over the Calgary airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"what an unnecessary hassle this was"

Not Verified | This airport is very nice and clean however on a different topic, I came to visit from the states, it was the worst customs/border patrol experience I have ever had. If you’re ever visiting Calgary from outside of Canada and fly in, you better have a story to tell them about your plans because I was stuck here for an hour after my flight landed due to them thinking I was suspicious for whatever reason when I was just coming to Calgary for a solo tourist adventure trip and to see a few friends. Meanwhile I travel to British Columbia frequently and have never had an experience that took this long to clear. I told the border patrol lady at the kiosk as much information as I could to describe the purpose of my trip and she made me go through secondary inspection, while they can see on my passport I have visited the country multiple times and have never had any past issues getting in on previous trips, I also have a clean record. Thankfully I was cleared after I went through the secondary inspection and that officer I spoke to ended up being fair with me but what an unnecessary hassle this was. Gave me a headache. I understand they have a job to do but YYC border patrol needs to chill out. I’ve never felt this uncomfortable coming to Canada nor have the border patrol officers questioned me in such an intimidating way before.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"terminal with signage issues"

Trip Verified | Yesterday I was connecting from Las Vegas to Kelowna through Calgary. After scanning my passport and declaration document I continued past a arrogant border security agent and headed straight instead of turning left for connecting flights. I walked 2 steps past the ropes right past another security officer when my wife behind me said I was going the wrong way and need to go left. When I proceeded back the other way the security guard with a snicker had told me I could not go back. I asked him if he was joking and he was not. He told me that I had crossed the "imaginary" line and I could not go back. The border security agent came over (from 10 feet) away and verified I crossed the imaginary line and could not go back. I told both of them they were crazy. I was than directed through secondary security where the Chaos continued. I cannot believe the absolute waste of tax payer money I had witnessed through this experience. If this is what Canada has turned into, it is one big joke, and a personal bank machine to Government. I was told by another security agent this is a new terminal with signage issues that no one will address because they don't want to admit a mistake.
Date VisitApril 2018

"final product this disfunctional"

Trip Verified | Unbelievable in this day and age with all the fantastic airport examples in the world that Calgary ended up with a final product this disfunctional. Ridiculous distances between connections. Signage is poor and confusing. Barely time to stop for anything to buy even with a reasonable connection time. Customs was an absolute confusing mess last time through from the US, even with Nexus. I live in BC and often connected through the Calgary hub over the years to save time in the air travelling east. My advice for Bc residents connecting is go through Vancouver. That will be my first choice from now on until Calgary figures out how to make things better
Date VisitMarch 2018