Cairo Airport

(Turkey)

I passed through Terminal 3 when flying from Istanbul to Luxor and was pleasantly surprised. On arrival the visa windows were well signposted and immigration quite efficient. I made my way to the Domestic floor without being hassled by anyone indeed there only seemed to be about a dozen people in the whole Terminal. Quiet clean plenty of places to sit or get coffee water and something to eat. On return from Luxor I just followed the signs for connecting flights and went quickly through security only to find my Egyptair flight to Istanbul was delayed by 55 minutes. But there were shops to look at and decent looking food outlets too.

(Norway)

Cairo airport must be the most awkward airport in the world. I have flown through all 3 terminals so I know it quite well. There is no point in referring to the appalling terminal 2 as it is no longer in operation. The quality of staff and security processes are the biggest issues in my opinion. Regarding the staff there seems to be a scam between airport officials and taxi drivers to hand you over to the drivers that will rip you off. If you can prearrange transport you will be able to avoid that. There are 2 members of staff at passport control. The first will look at your passport and put the visa sticker on it and the second one will stamp it. And they both sit side by side. You have to security scan your suitcases before you check-in which causes absolute chaos. The stories are endless about this airport. On the up it is a clean airport modern and spacious with good duty free and good dinning options. And I have to say I have seen some improvements over the last 2 years which shows that Egyptians are making an effort to improve it.

(Pakistan)

Upon arrival before passport control touts approach you trying to get money for helping you through immigration or for organizing taxis. Completely unnecessary help! Departure hall chaotic and people smoking everywhere. Filthy toilets. Hard to understand how a country with tourism being so important and with special tourist police doesn't do anything about the airport.

Cairo Airport customer review

Arrived at 2am from Amsterdam. Immigration was quick and easy. Bags arrived quickly. Went to airport shuttle without any issues. However the departure from Terminal 1 was horrible. From the moment I was dropped off I was hounded with offers to "help". Additionally the airport employees are definitely part of the scheme to mis-guide you leading you to a position where you feel like you have to pay someone to get you to the correct place. The trip to Cairo was great but the lack of organization and the constant attempts to take money from you really soured the departure.

Cairo Airport customer review

Arrived late at night on Air France and were towed to a remote gate. Bussed for ages to Terminal 3 for customs. The agent was cold and rude not pleasant after a long 2 days of flying. He only gave some of our group arrival stamps which was strange. The terminal itself was beautiful and very western except for broken toilets in the bathrooms. The next morning the 5am Egyptair to Aswan. The terminal requires security to reach check in then once again at the gate. I don't think they even looked at the first screening. The airport was clean and very modern. Boarding through the gate was strange as a man opened the door and simply said "time to board" not through a PA system or anything. Departing on Air france a week later through terminal 1 was crazy. People can pay security a few dollars to jump ahead cutting our group of kids into chunks. Check in was painfully slow but that is the airline's fault. Customs heading out was fast and the man gave me a strange look for not having an arrivals stamp. At the gate one metal detector was there to screen our airbus 330! Again 5 pounds and passengers were escorted to the front of the line. We were then bussed out to our plane back to the civilized world.

Cairo Airport customer review

Cairo terminal 3 is spacious with great Star Alliances lounges and efficient check in/immigration facilities. It took less than 30 minutes from touch down to be on a cab to town.

Cairo Airport customer review

Flying Dar-es-salaam to London last week I had to transit for 5 hours in Cairo. They gave all transit passengers to London a free city tour of Cairo for 3 hours! Lunch was also included which was a take away lunch box from a local restaurant. They even sorted out all the visa formalities for all of us.

Cairo Airport customer review

My return flight from Cairo has left a bit of a sour taste. I think that "tea money" or bakshish was requested virtually on each step from check in till boarding which is something I haven't experienced yet in CAI airport before. It started when I flew from Munich to Cairo T3 where I had a 2 days stop over. Passport control was fast which is great after that and 2 meters from passport control a police officer re-checks your passport to see the entry stamp. You go to puck up your bags and there it starts. When you see your bag and go to get it then you find a couple of guys trying to help you forcefully and then expect tea money as they specifically said it. I go through the "green zone" which practically isn't that green as everyone is being controlled. Check passport again and open bags. close bags and "welcome to Cairo any chance for tea money sir?". The arrival hall is empty as all waiting people were kicked out for some reason or another. My departure for Bangkok was definitely an experience. I will count passport checks and tea money from my check in to boarding! TO enter the hall and the check in area then you have to be only a passenger - so I got my passport checked and the gentleman wished me a pleasant flight and some tea money. I go to Xrays to enter the check in area so I get my passport checked and the officer smiled and asked if I had any tea money. I go to check in that took longer than its supposed to. Each check in counter has a gentleman to help the bags on the scales. Since I had only a small bag I helped myself and my passport checked and tea money was asked by the helper. I proceed to Passport control and go through with ease. I proceed to the gate where the passport is checked and went again through x rays while boarding at the door the passports were checked again and I was once again asked for tea money. I was annoyed by that stage - going through he airbridge to the plane and what do we have there - a gentleman controlling my passport I mean security is a good thing but this is a bit weird. I would like to rest assured tourists will be spared much of the tea money (not a guarantee) since I am part Egyptian and look so. So the terminal can be as clean and modern as can be but his has topped any experience that I had.

Cairo Airport customer review

What a difference a Terminal makes. Terminal 2 still is a joke and an embarrassment. Terminal 3 is the first time I felt like flying to Cairo and actually landing in an airport that is closer to standards. The new terminal is however used only by Egyptair and Star alliance. The terminal building is airy and clean sufficient amount of shops and cafes walking distances are not that far. The access taxiways to the terminal takes ages so the planes taxing was around 25min! The negative points are more because of local habits. For the first time I met a female passport control officer who was rude for that I am taking 2 stars off. Only passengers can enter the terminal building even the waiting areas. If you are not a passenger then you have to "buy" a ticket which is a bit annoying as they sent us 600m away to a stall to get the ticket. I realize that this is to control the crowds and the "taxi drivers" who hunt for arrivals but this is not the way to do it. Only passengers are allowed al the way to check in counters! Check in agents helpful and a young crowd. So I guess its a far better place than I have experienced in an Egyptian airport.

Cairo Airport customer review

Chaos seems to be the order of the day at this airport for arrivals and departures. Give yourself lots of time for check-in. Road access is very circuitous could not find indicators/screens to advise of arrivals and departures in Terminal 1 arrivals hall transfers from one terminal to another was convoluted. Be aware of Islamic holidays and other special times when the crowds are checking in.