Cairo Airport

"If you want the tourists back you have to improve very much"

Trip Verified | Even the airport is full with scammers. So many police and nobody is taking it seriously. The cleaners will let you smoke in the invalid toilet and so many want to take your luggage but what they really want is your money. Too bad Cairo. If you want the tourists back you have to improve very much.
Date VisitFebruary 2021

"Worst airport I have ever come across"

Not Verified | Worst airport I have ever come across, very embarrassing. Airport staff shamelessly hustle you for tips. From the moment you got through screening, to check in, to boarder control. At some point I refused to tip and they marked my passport so that I would go through further checks.
Date VisitFebruary 2021

Cairo Airport customer review

Not Verified | The whole experience was terrible. On arrival, getting a taxi from the airport to the hotel was a big task. Everybody tried to get business from you. There was no standard fee charges. You have to negotiate the fee. It was terrible. 5 days later, on departure, the experience of checking in was even worse. It was hard to find the the right place for check in. The people wearing the uniform was telling me no check in, but going to next gate I was told ok. The whole thing was a mess. Everywhere in the airport people could ask you to show your passport. There are no areas to sit while waiting for boarding.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"The airport is overall clean"

Trip Verified | Upon arrival, most international tourists are looking for visa on arrival and surprisingly you should proceed to bank counter for the visa (without any sign showing "visa on arrival"). After immigration, the money exchange counter is at one end, while the telcos are at the other end. The airport is overall clean, however, cleaners around some washrooms may ask you for money (for those who are not aware, they might think that's the fee to use washroom).
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"he started asking for money as tips"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Big airport, good immigration staff but some were always looking for tips. My arrival was good, immigration officer was good. In my departure from Terminal 1, I came across a bad experience. I had 2 small trolley suitcases that I was carrying, one male staff member came and insisted I take an airport trolley and I thought it was their rule. I paid 20 EZP as per schedule. It was only 20 meters that he pushed the trolley and then he started asking for money as tips. I refused to pay as I didn't have that much EZP. After checking-in my suitcases, I found one suitcase broken on floor and unorganized. None of the airport staff or the airline staff informed me of anything even though I was sitting in front of them. I did not get any answers from any of the staffs. I am sure it was the guy behind this situation who was asking for the tips. The airport authority must change their attitude towards the tourists. Airport shops were too expensive. Food were also expensive and not too good. Wifi does not work if anyone doesn't have a local mobile number.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"airport authority must change their attitude"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Big airport, good immigration staff but some were always looking for Bakhshish (Tips). My arrival was good, immigration officer was good. In my departure from Terminal 1, I came across a bad experience. I had 2 small trolley suitcases that I was carrying, one male staff member came and insisted I take an airport trolley and I thought it was their rule. I paid 20 EZP as per schedule. It was only 20 meters that he pushed the trolley and then he started asking for money as tips. I refused to pay as I didn't have that much EZP. After checking-in my suitcases, I found one suitcase broken on floor and unorganized. None of the airport staff or the airline staff informed me of anything even though I was sitting in front of them. I did not get any answers from any of the staffs. I am sure it was the guy behind this situation who was asking for the tips. The airport authority must change their attitude towards the tourists. Airport shops were too expensive. Food were also expensive and not too good. Wifi does not work if anyone doesn't have a local mobile number.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"some of staff are helpful and friendly"

Trip Verified | Looks like a military base, numerous check point until you finally board the plane. Officials made a case because we did not have our boarding pass (they were to be collected at check in desks). Although some of staff are helpful and friendly they are exceptions.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"never had any problem using the airport"

(Egypt)

Not Verified | I'm a foreigner living in Egypt, and I use Cairo airport regularly. I have used Terminals 3 & 2, but never Terminal 1. The airport has a few minor quirks, and airside can be a bit dull, but I've never had any problem using the airport, which for the most part is modern and efficient. My flights almost always leave on time - more reliably so than in most European and North American airports. The closest thing I've ever had to a 'problem' was when I was told that my Egyptair flight was leaving from Terminal 2 instead of Terminal 3, but it's a very short walk between the two, and it was easy to shake off the two touts along that walk who wanted to 'help' (I just told them I live in Cairo; even if you're a tourist, try the same trick - tell them you live in Maadi or Zamalek if you want to sound more convincing). Here are some tips from a regular traveller for making your Cairo Airport experience smoother and more enjoyable: 1) If you're a tourist, always make sure that you have your USD$25 tourist visa fee in cash in advance of arrival - and in US dollars rather than the equivalent in another currency (they apparently take euros as well, but before I had residency I only ever used dollars). You have to pay for your visa sticker in cash at one of the bank windows right before the immigration desks, and then take both sticker and passport (separately; don't attach the sticker yourself) to immigration. 2) When leaving the airport, there is a security checkpoint and screening before check in. Remove everything from your pockets (and put it in your bags) before you go through security, except for your passport and a printout of either your boarding pass or your itinerary confirmation to show the security guard. Don't rely on using your mobile phone to confirm that you have a flight; always take a hardcopy of confirmation. In Terminal 3, there are individual security checkpoints at each gate (which is highly efficient, and greatly reduces queuing times). Terminal 2 has a single security checkpoint area between passport checks and airside, which is more traditional, but can lead to longer queues. If possible, arrange for someone to meet you at the airport to drive you to your destination. Also confirm where at the airport you're going to be met. Most drivers/greeters can only meet you just outside the terminal, though some can be found right before immigration and just after baggage claim, which can be confusing for first-time visitors. If you can't be met, Cairo also has Uber, which can take a lot of the stress out of worrying how much a taxi is going to cost (though the airport pick-up area can be hard to find). 5) Never let someone take one of your bags from you, or offer to help you carry your bag. If someone offers you unsolicited help before check in (when leaving) or after baggage claim (when arriving), decline. Arabic for 'no thank you' is 'la shukran'. Remember that the overwhelming majority of Egyptians are kind, generous, and helpful, and that Egypt is a wonderful country. Do not assume that the small number of easy to ignore touts at the airport are representative of Egypt - and don't let them ruin your trip!
Date VisitDecember 2019

"a horrible representation of the country"

Not Verified | This airport is a horrible representation of the country. The employees are trying to swindle American and European travelers. The place where one should feel the safest feels the most vulnerable. Egypt was a wonderful country filled with people who were eager to show us a great time. They were warm and friendly and proud of their nation. This airport feels like an entirely different country altogether. My passport was held for ransom of $40; the security charged $150 just to walk through. Security was asking select travelers “how much money do you have?” And they are only respectful to those who are native or speak the language. The airport itself is chaotic, unkept, and much of the shops are unfriendly. This is not the Egypt I was introduced to and came to love. This needs to be rectified if they expect travelers to ever return or give a good recommendation.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"ruined our experience to Cairo"

Not Verified | Tipping out of control. It’s a hustle. Guy loading the bags tried to get money from me. Then, 2 other employees at the bathroom were hustling customers for money to use the bathroom. Then, a woman tried to enter the stall while my wife was using the bathroom asking for money. All were airport employees. This ruined our experience to Cairo.
Date VisitNovember 2019