Cairo Airport

"Queuing times very slow"

(Portugal)

Not Verified | We used the domestic terminal where most tourists in other resort towns of Egypt arrive to tour the capital city of Cairo, mostly by chartered domestic Petroleum Air Services flights from and to Sharm el-Sheikh and Hurghada. The terminal itself was clean but showing signs of ageing and no wifi compared to the international part of the building. You could smoke on a not materially limited area at the bar. Queuing times very slow. Security staff at the airport's entrance very unfriendly, yelling rather than speaking. The air conditioning was also too cold when compared to the outside temperature.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"Come on Egypt. You can do better than this"

Trip Verified | This airport is a disgrace to Egypt. If the country wants to attract tourists back it needs to completely overhaul it, including ensuring corruption-free and polite process administration. The whole thing is a mess but the absolute worst part is the main area security staff. They simply ask you for money and seem to target young westerners in particular. Having been asked for money and having refused, I then watched while one security guy searched through my son’s bag, while still sitting at his screen station, looking for, finding and then opening my son’s wallet. On finding it completely empty (luckily my son had given all his money to me) my son was allowed to pass. Check in was ok apart from a man shouting at the line for reasons that no one could work out. On to passport control and a gym chewing, un-smiling, not sure why I bothered to get out of bed young woman was who we met next. The service is the cafe area is very poor. Long lines and the place is very dirty. When you get to the gate there is a better security process but no indication that there are male and female lines until you find yourself nearly at the front of the wrong line. The few helpful and pleasant staff that we came across must find it so difficult that their reputation is damaged by what is clearly a systematic “I don’t care” approach. Come on Egypt. You can do better than this. Your country and people are warm and welcoming. Let the airport be a proud gateway to this.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"very bad service"

Trip Verified | Service must be improved as it’s the reputation of Egypt! When we arrived to Airport to the departure sale i totally agree about the security check points but I refuse being dealt with a bad manner from security and luggage boy and at the end waiting for a tip after doing nothing even I carried my bags by myself, I was surprised when I saw the self check in machines woow that’s amazing in Cairo as we used to use it in most of the Airports around the world and I happily got the print out of my boarding pass after leading me to a very rude officer which he refused to take my luggage’s and he is working in the online check in counters and simply says I will not take more. After queuing for me here for about 15 minuets you need to go to another queue in a very rude and non professional way at all, people must know that this is their job and working in the biggest airport in Egypt is simply representing Egypt and it has to be well represents. I left the queue upset looking everywhere to queue in another queue for Dubai flight whoever I have my boarding pass with me , it’s a big joke to see guys carrying the luggage’s for some tips to other Guests steps in front of you and not following the queue , nothing organized at all , rude way! It’s really disappointed to see these very bad service in the Airport that’s represents your country and honestly I will definitely take another Airline next time and will never recommend it to any of my friends
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"very inefficient"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | My first impression of the aiport building was "wow, it is huge and new". The moment I entered the airport and went to the security control, every single nice impressions vanished. I was really disappointed to the airport staffs especially the security control. The line was very long. They didn't tell us that there is a special line for women and men. My group and I queued up in the wrong line since there were no sign or information about women's line. Very inefficient. The nightmare continued. The security officers didn't tell us to take off our sneakers. The tray to put our small bags, shoes, or jackets were not enough. Therefore, people put their jacket and shoes directly to the scanner machine. Could you imagine that we have to wear the jacket that already dirty because of those shoes? The line for immigration also very long. I flew red eye and the airport was full. They only have 2 or 3 booths opened. It was truly not efficient and wasting time. The only nice person I met in this airport was the Oman Air ground staff. He was the only guy who smiled and talked nicely to me when I checked in my bags. I hope the airport management could train their security staffs to be nice and welcoming so people would be happy to comeback to Egypt. As a gateway to Egypt, if the staff are rude, people might think that most Egyptian are the same which is not true at all.
Date VisitJune 2018

"airport is plain and very dirty"

Trip Verified | I can not say enough bad things about this airport. I’ll start with the worst, the airport staff. They take luggage out of your hand without asking and pester you for tips for transporting it 2 meters to the x-ray machine when I’m perfectly capable of doing it myself. Security is the worst! I came for a parachuting event and brought my parachute as hand luggage. It is both safe and permissible to do so, and I have never had problems at any other airport. I had the proper documentation and permission to do so. They were unbelievably ignorant, extremely rude, and not willing to listen to you. My gear was extremely expensive and the reason I carry it on is to protect it because it can’t be fully reimbursed through airline if lost. Not only did they force me to check it in after a long argument but they did not allow me to wrap it in plastic to protect my very expensive gear. There is a huge chance of my gear being damaged, thrown around and dirty! Due to the fact that my safety handles could have been dislodged I’m going to have to get it professionally inspected and my reserve parachute repacked before using again. The airport is plain and very dirty, the food horrible. A lot of the airport smelt like cigarette smoke. I bought two unreasonably expensive muffins and they were hard as a rock and completely stale. Disgusting. Then I tried the pizza, the worst pizza I have ever had. Over priced and tastes horrible. Shame because outside of the airport I enjoyed Cairo so much! This airport is the sole reason I probably won’t ever return to Egypt.
Date VisitMay 2018

"The airport is a pain!"

(Egypt)

Trip Verified | The airport is a pain! While the infrastructure is not bad, service and cleanliness are appalling. I fly a lot and dread it every time I need to go through Cairo Airport. Security staff is not organized and makes a mess even out of the shortest queue. The lounges are low quality in terms of food, cleanliness, and facilities. The entire process is a pain to go through. This becomes even more apparent when comparing the airport to the one on the other end of the flight. I really hope that someone puts pressure on the airport and also on Egyptair for that matter to fix their issues.
Date VisitApril 2018

"nightmare of an airport"

(Sweden)

Verified Review | Where to start, this is possibly the worst airport ever on this planet? I have been living in Egypt for two years, and this was my weekly nightmare when coming in and out for a business trip. People everywhere try to take your luggage from you, starting from outside the terminal. To enter you need to queue in the middle of the street, where tens of people try to push forward, and bored police people ask to see your passport and then go trough the pages, of course not checking anything. Then you queue again to screen your luggage and all the suitcases are pushed on top of each other while you need to remove your shoes in a super dirty floor to pass by a non attached metal detector where you get the first of the many pat down. Does not matter if you have phone, wallets etc the police person will look at your passport and want to see a print of your itinerary or reservation. Digital does not count apart if you do not convince them. They will sometimes ask if you have money as there is a limit of cash that can exported. Finished this you need to queue for the boarding pass and fill in a forms that none will ever read. Another queue at passport control and after you get a stamp another police guy will check that you have been stamped. The airport is then dirty, with filthy bathrooms, and everything smells of smoke of cigarettes. Lounges are the worst as well and the food is expensive and dirty. No place to seat and usually very cold inside. Finally another queue at the gate, where there is another luggage control where people working there do not know any rules about security. Sometimes they try to take batteries off you, other times there is something else. You just smile at them and usually everyone passes. The metal detector is not really working, as they will do anyway a pat down to each passenger. Of course remove your shoes again in a even dirtier floor. When you finally make it on the plane they will check again your boarding pass if travelling with EgyptAir. And sometimes another police will check again your stamp on the passport, why not? Arriving is not nicer either. The first thing I remember was the smell of cigarettes when you go into the terminal. Then you need to buy a 25 USD sticker, and be prepared to have it in cash and do not expect change, unless you want to be fooled. A colleague of ours, once, paid 60 USD. Then you queue for the stamp, another police will check again your stamp, get your luggage and queue again for customs guys that look at all the pages of your passport (or pretend to), pretend to know what you have by touching the exterior of your suitcase and raising it. Finally you are out and hordes of taxi drivers will try to take your luggage from you by force or lure you with some "great offer" or "limouisine". If you stay at a hotel that offers it, organize a meet and greet and then maybe finally leave this nightmare of an airport.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"airport has deteriorated tremendously"

(Egypt)

Verified Review | The airport has deteriorated tremendously over the past years. Security checks take a long time, bathrooms are very dirty, the food is low quality (but still expensive!), and staff are not friendly. This is a real pity as the airport had been managed very well at some point.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"a horrible experience"

Unverified | I have been to more than 25 airports worldwide and Cairo has by far been the worst experience I have ever had. Immigration officers are extremely rude and unapologetic. Workers are tricky. They always expect tips. It is a nightmare and a horrible experience to travel through.
Date VisitMay 2017

"cannot recommend Cairo airport"

(Egypt)

Verified Review | As a frequent traveller, I cannot recommend Cairo airport. Confusing at the parking, poor directional signage. Harassment from vendors, taxi drivers and luggage assistants. First airport I've had to pay for using a trolley. Chaos at the first security check. Dirty floors and / or carpets and you have to remove your shoes for screening. Impolite officers and not familiar with safety standards and rules. Messy check in, long queues and too much interference. Local passengers are waved in front, jumping queues. Passport control time consuming. Duty free poor selection. Restaurants over priced and very poor food quality and service standards. Lounges are dirty. Very poor standard toilets and dirty. Disgraceful smoking areas. This airport has many issues just need someone to take initiative to solve the huzzle around travelling, apply a service attitude, price value for restaurants. Clean bathrooms, proper employee behavior. It's a shame with all the issues of shortage of holiday makers that safety issues have been solved, however the first and last impression for the sadly few visitors are not. Please do something it's in the airport's best interest.
Date VisitApril 2017