Cairo Airport

"terrible employee customer service"

Trip Verified | Just terrible employee customer service. Abysmal attitude by all airport employees. Security staff extremely rude and demanding. Frisking everyone like a prisoner. Just have not seen this bad of an airport since back flying internationally this year. If they want business and tourist visitors, they need to change the customer service quick. Airport is hot and not clean. Restrooms smell and need service.
Date VisitMay 2022

"intimidating, persistent and totally unacceptable"

Trip Verified | As with other reviews on this site I endorse and reiterate the horrendous harassment both arriving and departing Cairo International Airport which is intimidating, persistent and totally unacceptable. Arrival: A suited man holding a walkie-talkie approached me as soon as I passed through security/immigration introducing himself as working for the Government's Tourism department and could arrange a taxi and tours of Cairo and Egypt. I advised I'd already arranged a limo pick up from the airport as well as sorted my tourist trips with the hotel's concierge. Despite being told this he followed me to the baggage carousel and stood right next to me continuing the pressure of offering a taxi or tours despite my continued rejections. He even tried to take my luggage off the baggage carousel stating he was trying to help. He continued to follow me to, and surprising through, the Customs 'Nothing to Declare channel', still pushing his offer of a taxi well into the arrivals hall. Clearly having this freedom of movement and access meant he was indeed a person of some authority in the airport. This harassment continued even as I exited the airport and was on the pavement awaiting my driver. Departure: As noted in other reviews the luggage handlers putting baggage through the security scanners before you even get into the airport and to the check in counters demanded with menace, that I pay them for putting my luggage on the scanner conveyor belt. This was done with 2 handlers shielding each other from being seen or overheard in the presence of the armed security guards. Having advised I had no money only cards I was abruptly told both "Now!" and "ATM!" These jokers seriously thought a tourist would leave the queues to find an ATM to pay their extortion. Having passed through the metal detector and awaiting my luggage being screened one of the two handlers who'd asked me for money came around to take my luggage off the conveyor belt and menacingly gesticulated to me while stating he remembered me from the other side, starring intensely at me while doing so. This was further intimidation with the purpose to extort money from a tourist. This guy even pursed his lips towards the security guard, blowing a kiss, clearly as as an unconcerned gesture to the security guard that he and his actions could not be challenged and an insult to the guard. I took my bags and went to check-in for my flight out of Cairo.
Date VisitApril 2022

"no need for such harassment"

Trip Verified | I have visited Cairo a few times pre covid and it was terrible service then. The police/immigration officials are rude and keep asking stupid ethnicity questions about my father's/grandfather's and my background and even though I am a British national with a British Passport. They then seize my passport and conduct further checks as if I'm not a genuine passport holder. However this time in March 2022 they have become even worse and were very rude and abrupt with very little understanding of the English language. When I returned to fly out the Policeman at the door at Terminal 3 asked to see my passport and ticket which I showed him. He let all other Egyptian passport holders through without checking any other documents. He then pretended to read my e-ticket and said I needed to go terminal 2. I explained to him that my ticket said terminal 3 and terminal 2 was London Heathrow my arrival destination. He refused to listen and ignored me so I persevered and then after a while he let me through saying " Oh London, No Paris". I said it says London Heathrow clearly and walked passed him. I was stopped again when checking bags through and one guy even asked for a TIP! I don't know what for but I said NO. At the immigration desk same ethnicity questions and passport was seized and checked before finally being allowed through. In these modern times as there is no need for such harassment and rude behaviour.
Date VisitMarch 2022

"Complex airport security"

Trip Verified | Transited in this airport. I was really dreading it but not too bad. Went through security checks again despite being airside which is of concern if people can randomly enter the airport or were not properly screen in regional airports. Food selection options OK - much better than I thought and reasonably priced. A fair range of shops for the size of the airports. Limited seating downstairs near international departure gate and like sitting in a windtunnel but if you take the escalator upstairs to where the museum is the area is very nice. Comfortable seats and warmth. Chaotic boarding don't even think priority boarding/business class is applied. Complex airport security again especially for airside. I really do question the consistency of staff and their understanding of security procedures. Gave up on the wi fi situation. Very clean toilets.
Date VisitMarch 2022

"Don't ever try to transit Cairo"

Trip Verified | The worst airport ever. They don't have a charger port, no internet connection unless you have us dollars on your hand .A 30 minutes of internet will cost you 2 dollars and an hour is 6. The staff are not friendly and accommodating. Don't ever try to transit Cairo.
Date VisitFebruary 2022

"this airport made me very nervous for my safety"

Trip Verified | Entering the airport with several friends was fine. Leaving on my own, as a solo female, was not. I had booked a room in the adjacent la Meridian hotel (which was awesome) and thought I would feel safe walking across the bridge to terminal 3. Once there, I had no idea where to go to find my airline. I was an easy mark, and ended up having to pay for a “taxi” person to walk me to the correct terminal. Where I then had my luggage grabbed, lifted on the screening conveyor belt, and then demanded money for the service. I used to travel a lot for work, so I am used to flying alone. But this airport made me very nervous for my safety. I don’t think any “staff” cared about me or my safety, but looked at me as a nuisance.
Date VisitOctober 2021

"rude staff member"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Rudest staff. I was harassed and blocked from entering the airport at the gate by a rude staff member who couldn’t speak a word in English and shouted at me in Arabic. Noted that he let other Egyptian passengers pass through before me without asking them to show ticket or passport and only asked me to show my passport and ticket.
Date VisitNovember 2020

"worst lounge I've ever visited"

Trip Verified | No Immigration officer were there at the transit booth, I had to wait for 30min to have another officer bring me to the main Immigration line. After this, well the duty free is basically empty of any interesting items. The bar had no waiter. Hippopotamus is dodgy, microwaved food. The first class Mastercard Lounge is the worst lounge I've ever visited, with 30yo couches, a total F&B of 3 croissants, 4 oranges, 6 water bottle, a lonely yoghurt and 30 plastic wrapped pieces of bread. Agents are rude and busy looking at their phones. As for WiFi, good luck getting the OTP if you don't have an Egyptian number. In any case that'll just grant you 30min.
Date VisitJuly 2021

"This is not the way to treat visitors to the country"

Trip Verified | I was travelling to Dubai on flight MS 905 from Cairo at Terminal 2 on 9 July 2021. The immigration supervisor at terminal 2 was rude and harassed me by doubting my passport and was extremely rude. I am a frequent traveler and never been disrespected like that. I complained to another supervisor and he apologized and told me that he will speak to this arrogant and ill mannered individual. The immigration male supervisor at terminal 2 was not old and came to the immigration counter after being called by an inexperienced female immigration clerk at the counter. This is not the way to treat visitors to the country who bring and spend money. Be grateful and have some manners. This is the way duty is done by professional immigration people around the world. Do it with Egyptian people, not with selected international travelers.
Date VisitJuly 2021

"Efficient, courteous and well designed"

Not Verified | Flew into Cairo from Addis May 17/18 on Ethiopian arriving 01.30. Brilliant. Out in 40 minutes. Everything quick and efficient. Two little points. Meeters and greeters are outside. eg my Guest House car. SIM cards available. Vodafone open. But not given any info on topping up etc.. Departed May 29th. Egyptair to LHR. Cairo Airport was brilliant. Efficient, courteous and well designed. At first security check 30m inside T3 you need to show ticket and passport, digital on phone ticket OK, this is before you are allowed into Check In area. Check in quick and courteous. Needed my PCR test cert and UK PLF printed out. Immigration check very quick. You then emerge, after normal shopping mall into airside cafeteria with breakfast options on a clear menu. Excellent choice. 3 price levels. 5 min Q for gate security check which was very thorough including everything out of your pockets. Then huge gate area with plenty seats. Took off 10m late. Readers bear in mind when looking at reviews on Cairo and Addis Ababa that it is mainly the unlucky ones who complain. I found Cairo to be excellent. Best airport to go through since Singapore 1993.
Date VisitMay 2021