Cairo Airport

"a few hours here was fine"

Trip Verified | Transit in Cairo. First time in years and was nervous given other comments. But it was easy. Handy tip make sure you buy water from the big duty free and get it sealed in an approved plastic bag if you want to take it on the flight. Seating pre gates is limited. Toilets clean but small and busy. No water fountains for drinking. All flights announced and security (pre boarding) efficient. Overall a few hours here was fine. Didn’t use WiFi
Date VisitNovember 2018

"waiting areas are pretty boring"

Trip Verified | I arrived and departed Cairo Airport several times.My experiences were always quite similiar. You arrive at the airport and you have to go through immigration. Visa is easily obtailable, but then you need to wait. Sometimes nearly one hour until you can finaly reach your immigration desk and can enter the country. With luggage I've never had a problem, but then, before leaving the airport, you need to go through customs check, where they select people to put their luggage through an x-ray. As a European, I had never have my luggage inspected. Even when I wanted to declare that I have more bottles of alcohol with me than allowed, custom officials kept sending me away. So I gave up and walked through the green corridor, nobody seemed to mind. Then starts the hassle, as Cairo Airport has a public transport connection, but people at the airport will just deny it! Actually, from T2 or T3 you need to catch a shuttle bus (running irregular intervals) to get to a bus station and from there take a bus to Cairo. Very inconvenient, so try to get a taxi. This is quite difficult, as drivers will always try to rip you off. From the airport to Tahrir Square or Dokki, 150 EGP is the local price, as a foreigner, getting a deal for 200 EGP is fine, 250 is also okay. Problem: Upon leaving the airport, taxi drivers need to pay at a toll gate, and some will insist you pay it, which was never agreed in the first place. Fun fact: If you are going to the airport, they will also insist you pay extra. If you need to go to central Cairo, that can become a painful ride, as streets are congested, best case 30min, worst case 2 hours to Cairo. (It can take 2 hours even when arriving at 1 a.m.) On the way back you will have similar problems, only in Cairo you have more power to negotiate. Beware: Some drivers are too stupid to find the airport. If you want to make sure, everything is okay: Download Uber Egypt App before getting to Cairo and use Uber. Taxi drivers complain about Uber, but they do not realize if they charged "sensible" rates or did not change their price during the ride, they would not face this problem. When picking up people, you are not even allowed to enter the airport building or stay on the same side. You need to stand in a large crowd of people waiting for your people to arrive. Hated it. When you made it back to the airport, you will be greeted by "helping hands", that will take your luggage out of your hands and start moving it to security check. Last time I just started shouting at them to let my luggage free. They want a "tip" for their service, like every Egyptian. That is okay, but they will not settle for anything less than 20 EGP, which is, by Egyptian standards, way too much. (If you tip ordinary people 5 EGP, they will be very happy). Then security guards insist you showing them your ticket, passport is enough. So always carry a copy of your ticket on your smartphone or in your bag. Then it is check-in time, which I have never had a problem in Cairo. Passport checks can be slow or can be fast, but it is usually faster than entering the country. The duty-free and waiting areas are pretty boring. Before your gates open, you need to sit on a few metal benches. Before entering your gate, there is another detailed security check, only whole airplane needs to pass through one lane, so terribly long queuing. Airport needs a subway and more security lanes
Date VisitJuly 2018

"Generally dirty and unsafe"

Not Verified | Worst airport ever. Over staffed by people trying to rip you off. A seeming lack of management, and goodness knows what is getting through security. Generally dirty and unsafe.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"sight that is not to be missed"

Not Verified | This airport is hilarious as long as you don't have to catch a flight. I surely recommended visiting (but not flying from here). Wifi is hilarious, security is slow but lax, the queuing times per desk are ridiculously slow even at three in the morning when there is hardly anyone there. It can happen that staff are just looking up from their computers and admitting defeat with a sigh of "broken". After passing security and going to the gates you can buy water and what not, but then you turn a corner for another security check, where people have to throw away their beverages en masse. However, not to worry, I simply started "finishing my water" and walked away while they processed the next guy. Still had plenty left and just put it back in my bag. After the sign with your gate (lets say G3), there follows another sign saying: G1-G10 this way. Funnily, this way leads you right into the plane!! Actually had to ask if I am in the right plane. I am writing this review before receiving my luggage, so there is plenty of opportunity for prolonged hilarity. Cairo airport, certainly a sight that is not to be missed.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"Queuing times very slow"

(Portugal)

Not Verified | We used the domestic terminal where most tourists in other resort towns of Egypt arrive to tour the capital city of Cairo, mostly by chartered domestic Petroleum Air Services flights from and to Sharm el-Sheikh and Hurghada. The terminal itself was clean but showing signs of ageing and no wifi compared to the international part of the building. You could smoke on a not materially limited area at the bar. Queuing times very slow. Security staff at the airport's entrance very unfriendly, yelling rather than speaking. The air conditioning was also too cold when compared to the outside temperature.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"Come on Egypt. You can do better than this"

Trip Verified | This airport is a disgrace to Egypt. If the country wants to attract tourists back it needs to completely overhaul it, including ensuring corruption-free and polite process administration. The whole thing is a mess but the absolute worst part is the main area security staff. They simply ask you for money and seem to target young westerners in particular. Having been asked for money and having refused, I then watched while one security guy searched through my son’s bag, while still sitting at his screen station, looking for, finding and then opening my son’s wallet. On finding it completely empty (luckily my son had given all his money to me) my son was allowed to pass. Check in was ok apart from a man shouting at the line for reasons that no one could work out. On to passport control and a gym chewing, un-smiling, not sure why I bothered to get out of bed young woman was who we met next. The service is the cafe area is very poor. Long lines and the place is very dirty. When you get to the gate there is a better security process but no indication that there are male and female lines until you find yourself nearly at the front of the wrong line. The few helpful and pleasant staff that we came across must find it so difficult that their reputation is damaged by what is clearly a systematic “I don’t care” approach. Come on Egypt. You can do better than this. Your country and people are warm and welcoming. Let the airport be a proud gateway to this.

"very bad service"

Trip Verified | Service must be improved as it’s the reputation of Egypt! When we arrived to Airport to the departure sale i totally agree about the security check points but I refuse being dealt with a bad manner from security and luggage boy and at the end waiting for a tip after doing nothing even I carried my bags by myself, I was surprised when I saw the self check in machines woow that’s amazing in Cairo as we used to use it in most of the Airports around the world and I happily got the print out of my boarding pass after leading me to a very rude officer which he refused to take my luggage’s and he is working in the online check in counters and simply says I will not take more. After queuing for me here for about 15 minuets you need to go to another queue in a very rude and non professional way at all, people must know that this is their job and working in the biggest airport in Egypt is simply representing Egypt and it has to be well represents. I left the queue upset looking everywhere to queue in another queue for Dubai flight whoever I have my boarding pass with me , it’s a big joke to see guys carrying the luggage’s for some tips to other Guests steps in front of you and not following the queue , nothing organized at all , rude way! It’s really disappointed to see these very bad service in the Airport that’s represents your country and honestly I will definitely take another Airline next time and will never recommend it to any of my friends
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"very inefficient"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | My first impression of the aiport building was "wow, it is huge and new". The moment I entered the airport and went to the security control, every single nice impressions vanished. I was really disappointed to the airport staffs especially the security control. The line was very long. They didn't tell us that there is a special line for women and men. My group and I queued up in the wrong line since there were no sign or information about women's line. Very inefficient. The nightmare continued. The security officers didn't tell us to take off our sneakers. The tray to put our small bags, shoes, or jackets were not enough. Therefore, people put their jacket and shoes directly to the scanner machine. Could you imagine that we have to wear the jacket that already dirty because of those shoes? The line for immigration also very long. I flew red eye and the airport was full. They only have 2 or 3 booths opened. It was truly not efficient and wasting time. The only nice person I met in this airport was the Oman Air ground staff. He was the only guy who smiled and talked nicely to me when I checked in my bags. I hope the airport management could train their security staffs to be nice and welcoming so people would be happy to comeback to Egypt. As a gateway to Egypt, if the staff are rude, people might think that most Egyptian are the same which is not true at all.
Date VisitJune 2018

"airport is plain and very dirty"

Trip Verified | I can not say enough bad things about this airport. I’ll start with the worst, the airport staff. They take luggage out of your hand without asking and pester you for tips for transporting it 2 meters to the x-ray machine when I’m perfectly capable of doing it myself. Security is the worst! I came for a parachuting event and brought my parachute as hand luggage. It is both safe and permissible to do so, and I have never had problems at any other airport. I had the proper documentation and permission to do so. They were unbelievably ignorant, extremely rude, and not willing to listen to you. My gear was extremely expensive and the reason I carry it on is to protect it because it can’t be fully reimbursed through airline if lost. Not only did they force me to check it in after a long argument but they did not allow me to wrap it in plastic to protect my very expensive gear. There is a huge chance of my gear being damaged, thrown around and dirty! Due to the fact that my safety handles could have been dislodged I’m going to have to get it professionally inspected and my reserve parachute repacked before using again. The airport is plain and very dirty, the food horrible. A lot of the airport smelt like cigarette smoke. I bought two unreasonably expensive muffins and they were hard as a rock and completely stale. Disgusting. Then I tried the pizza, the worst pizza I have ever had. Over priced and tastes horrible. Shame because outside of the airport I enjoyed Cairo so much! This airport is the sole reason I probably won’t ever return to Egypt.
Date VisitMay 2018

"The airport is a pain!"

(Egypt)

Trip Verified | The airport is a pain! While the infrastructure is not bad, service and cleanliness are appalling. I fly a lot and dread it every time I need to go through Cairo Airport. Security staff is not organized and makes a mess even out of the shortest queue. The lounges are low quality in terms of food, cleanliness, and facilities. The entire process is a pain to go through. This becomes even more apparent when comparing the airport to the one on the other end of the flight. I really hope that someone puts pressure on the airport and also on Egyptair for that matter to fix their issues.
Date VisitApril 2018