Bristol Airport

"not a good start to holiday"

Not Verified | I have travelled extensively over the last 20 years and have never come across security queues as long as these were at 5.30 am on 2nd October. It appears that the terminal has recently been extended and the security section was unable to cope with the number of passengers. A recent press release said: "Bristol Airport recruited the expertise of Tensator to help control airport passenger flow in and out of security, improve customer service and reduce passenger waiting times. Lower levels of congestion create a more attractive and comfortable environment for passengers, minimising the stresses often associated with air travel at busy international hubs." Oh how I wish someone from that company was there on that day to see the queues. Bad enough for adults let alone those with small children. Is this a ploy to get people to pay to use the airport fast track security? Due to the long delay, we had to literally run from the security area to the boarding gate and only just caught the plane, although we arrived at the airport in good time. Not a good start to the holiday. Be warned!
Date VisitOctober 2018

"lack of security "

Not Verified | I am a disabled traveller and when I arrived at the security area for hand luggage scanning etc I placed my hand luggage on the conveyor belt and I was then directed to the body scanning machine, where it took some time for the scan to be done. I then had my mobility scooter and walking stick swabbed. Eventually when they had finished with me, I went to collect my hand luggage, only to find it had been taken by another passenger. I had all my very important belongings in this bag, money, debit card, mobile phone, 2 pairs of glasses etc. Thankfully I had placed our passports and e tickets in the basket of my mobility scooter. I reported this immediately, but it took over an hour for them to finally view CCTV to see who had taken my bag, so by this time she had boarded a flight to Tunisia. I was taking my granddaughter on a sightseeing cruise. This meant we had no way of going on any of the trips we had planned as I couldn't pay for them, so our holiday was a disaster and totally ruined due to lack of security in what should be a very safe area. Thankfully I eventually got my bag and contents back after over 4 weeks wait after it had been held in customs at Tunisia. My complaint is also that I have been offered no compensation for a £2500 holiday which was ruined due to security not doing their job correctly. I think its disgusting that anything could be stolen or taken by mistake from a secure area whilst members of the public are held back for body searches. Our belongings are left in open trays for anyone to pick up. I have seen wallets, watches, jewelry, money etc left unattended, whilst security guards walk up and down past the conveyor belt doing precisely nothing it seems. I have been told to complain to TUI who we were travelling with but its not their fault, it is the fault of Bristol Airport Security and they should be the ones who are offering some sort of compensation. It seems after consulting with them I am due nothing, look out and watch your belongings! You may never see them again.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"the longest airport walk ever"

Not Verified | Landed at 5 am on the 29/09/18, got to parking lot at 6.30, following the longest airport walk ever after landing, even though there was no other activity on the tarmac. Greeted at passport control with a "welcome back" from a female who has obviously never done that walk. How in God's name parents of small children and the elderly on that flight coped with that I'll never know, but that was only the beginning. Having got to the luggage carousel, everyone gathered around waiting for it to start. After an hour of no activity, no information of any kind, an airport official appeared at the back, by now, very disgruntled, tired crowd and told one of the passengers that the belt was about to start. This was Chinese whispered around and lo and behold, after another delay of about 10 minutes it started. He really deserves his blazer and important looking badge. Whether this is staffing problems or just laziness it has to be addressed. Just to rub salt into the wound, I wonder who the female worker sleeping in a chair by the exit was? Perhaps as a punishment they should make her walk to the arrival gate that we came in at, she'll never do anything wrong again.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"drop off car park fully blocked"

Not Verified | Typical of this airport. Drop off only area of the drop off car park fully blocked with private cars and taxis picking up. If it was a pick up area it would not say "drop off only". Where are the staff?
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"I was more than a little concerned"

Trip Verified | After numerous technical delays splashed all over the media I was more than a little concerned. Flying to Newcastle and back two weekends in a row. The first weekend all screens down and staff writing on the wall. Fine. Minor delays but nothing bad. Both return flights to this airport however were delayed and whilst I intended to take out my anger on easyJet I noted both my return flights had scheduled stops at Bristol prior to Newcastle. On arrival the plane sat on the tarmac for a good few mins before we were allowed to escape. The pilot even made a joke that they 'apparently didn't know we were coming....again' laughs all round the cabin. Missed my bus, hour wait in the cold. Hats off to easyJet and Newcastle, staff helpful and apologetic for Bristol's shoddy performance. They do have a smiley face game as you leave, rate us!. I didn't bother, probably not working.

"still going downhill"

Not Verified | We have travelled from Bristol Airport many times. It is OK, I have been to better local airports though. Two gripes on this visit to pick up family. Gripe one: Car park fees for short stay. Horrendous, a complete rip off. £8 for two hours. What happens if the flight is delayed. The cost rises dramatically. Even Dick Turpin was more magnanamous than this lot. You don't even get tarmac parking in marked bays. The roadways are as rough as old boots which destroy the little wheels on suitcases and the distance from the terminal is not as close as they would have you believe (unless you are lucky). Next time I will park off site and wait until the flight has had its landing confirmed. The airport will have lost my business until those costs are redressed. Gripe two: The flight we were meeting from Berlin was due in at 5:50pm. As we had got there early we went to the Ritazza coffee bar for a drink. What a dump. The place was not busy (one person behind the bar) and there was no excuse for the rubbish that had been left on the tables. There are twenty or so of them and every single one was dirty and littered with empty coffee cups, beer glasses, serviettes and other 'stuff'. Even the perching counters were full of rubbish and the floor had not been swept fo hours. Now I know that Bristol Airport themselves are not responsible for the running of the franchises, but they do themselves absolutely no favours in not policing the appearance of those outlets. The airport has had quite a lot of work done to it recently, but as far as I can see it is still going downhill. Time for management to step up to the plate.

Bristol Airport customer review

Not Verified | Not easy to find especially early morning. Tight parking even by airport standards. Food appalling. 16 gates I know because I walked to gate 16 even when no flights were leaving from others! On return took nearly 45 mins for baggage retrieval, tannoy explanation incoprehensible so still no wiser. Never again.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"Excellent little airport"

Not Verified | Excellent little airport, parked at Oakwood parking. Would recommend right next to airport. Friendly security staff, do a thorough job but professional, plenty of space and seating. Return was good, passport control has improved from last year and more and better passport machines. All five stars.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"returning to the efficient Birmingham Airport"

Trip Verified | Bad feeling starts with the road network approaching from the M5 North. Long queues on single carriageway. Route almost takes you to Bristol City Centre. Extremely irrupted by arrival. Also bad signage nearly causes an accident at the main airport entrance. Silver car park is in very small letters and easily missed as you are directed towards the main airport. That said Silver Car Park is an absolute joy. All airport car parking can learn from it. Fast efficient and relatively inexpensive. In the last month I have flown to and from Bristol twice. The airline, EasyJet has managed only one flight on time however they have blamed Bristol ground staff for two of the three late flights. On one flight they miscounted the number of bags on the aircraft causing a two hour 45 minute delay! I could go on, but suffice to say I am returning to the efficient Birmingham Airport which is everything Bristol should be.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"baggage took nearly two hours to arrive"

Not Verified | This is the third time I have flown from this airport in the last two years and on every occasion, I have experienced a delay of more than one hour at arrivals and departures, the last being last night where our plane arrived on time, however our baggage took nearly two hours to arrive. Travelling with my 9 month old granddaughter with nowhere for her to sit and rest. No explanation for the delay. I believe this airport is to small for the amount of flights they are trying to accomodate.