Bordeaux Airport

"aggressive and rude"

Not Verified | Having previous experience of Bordeaux airport that could be rated as fair but adequate, I was absolutely appalled to experience conditions at Billi terminal. Totally inadequate space for security check, in my opinion completely unfit for purpose. This tiny cramped area also accommodates queue for sandwich bar and those travellers who have to stand about (no seating) waiting to move to departures. No consideration given to basic facilities, notably seating for travellers. However my main complaint (and I feel so strongly about this that I am posting a review) is the aggressive and rude manner and attitude of the security personnel, male and female alike, most if not all are young people. I am an older lady and have found them on more than one occasion to be arrogant, ignorant and quite threatening. Not that its essential but a little respect for their elders wouldn't go amiss. I don't want to be barked or snapped at and from my experience they make little effort to make themselves understood. I have travelled via many French airports very satisfied and treated as a valued customer. I cant say the same for Bordeaux.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"porta cabin feel to it"

Trip Verified | This by far the worst airport I have ever been to. When we arrived it was late, so we just wanted to get out quickly, but as soon as we got into the building me and my husband were wondering if this was a temporary building. I thought it was temporary as it has that porta cabin feel to it. As were leaving we figured that there are two terminals – a regular one and a cheap one called Billi. As everything is poorly signed you wouldn’t know this unless you have been there before. The departures board just tells you Billi next to your flight and it’s completely up to you to figure out what that it is and where to find it. Signage is terrible – grey letters on grey background (what kind of genius came up with that?) Lifts are camouflaged with adverts and also difficult to find. While main terminal is completely empty and dead, all the action happens in Billi which is overcrowded to the point that we had to queue to get in to the building. The space is so tight that it was a struggle to find a space to stand. There is only one sandwich shop which was obviously making much more money than empty restaurants within main terminal. Toilets are also small filthy and smelly, and of course no toilet paper! The gate area was so small that there was not enough space for everyone to stand. Only 30 seats allocated to the gate. I wonder how this shed is allowed to operate?
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"do not care about passengers"

Not Verified | Truly the worst airport experiences in a long time - long delays through passport control in terminal including queuing outside to get in. On departure all urinals and 1 cubicle in men’s toilet out of order - only 1 toilet in departures, nowhere to sit - nowhere to eat your purchased food - and a queue so long to get thru passports control to get to gate - the airline staff came looking for passengers Will avoid this airport again - they do not care about passengers
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"everyone is herded around like cattle"

Not Verified | Worst airport I’ve been unfortunate enough to pass through in a long time. The budget airlines are operated from a shed-like extension to the main terminal where everyone is herded around like cattle, it’s boiling hot and the sorry excuse for a cafeteria costs more than the Savoy Grill. If I ever return it will be not through choice. Sad for an airport to put a downer on an otherwise nice place to visit.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"minimal space and minimal seating"

Not Verified | Very 'good' example of how an airport should not operate a special terminal for low-cost airlines. Had a flight to Brussels which departed from the so-called billi terminal. Experience was like being cattle in a barn: urinals being out of use, dirty toilets, queue for the passport control (why when flying within Schengen zone?!) which filled half of the terminal. After this passport control there are: no toilets, minimal space and minimal seating.

"we waited for ages"

Trip Verified | We arrived then the Jetbridge needed almost 15 minutes to connect with the airplane. Later we waited for ages for our bag with priority label. And no info at all from staff. No seating options, large queue in front of dirty restrooms. Hope that check in will work better.

"conditions are so poor"

Trip Verified | Agree with reviewer who dubbed this a tale of two airports. The cheap flights part (Billi) is a graphic and uncomfortable indication that Bordeaux airport sees the clients of Easyjet, Ryanair and Whizz as second-class citizens not worthy of sufficient or clean toilets (which were disgusting), a conveyor belt to take luggage from the bag drop, sufficient space for queueing, seats, efficient baggage reclaim, adequate space and seating at the gate. The conditions are so poor that they are guaranteed to make staff and passengers alike very unhappy. Particularly disappointing in Bordeaux which as a city is so forward-looking and apparently otherwise good at travel infrastructure. The one good point was the care with which enhanced security measure were carried out, just a pity that this could not have been done without the outrageously long queues and dearth of information. The company that manages Billi should visit Edinburgh airport for an object lesson in how to treat all passengers equally well and efficiently.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"airport is just overall dirty"

Not Verified | Worst airport I have ever been to. First the actual departure hall (known as "Bill") is unlogically located and there was no staff to be found in sight to ask info to (and we were there around midday). We then proceeded to the security checks where I was stopped because I had a pocket knife. I had checked that my airline (easyJet) allowed it on board before hand and indeed it was ok, in fact in my previous flight (just a week before) I was allowed to take it with me when departing from the Netherlands. But at Bordeaux airport I was stopped and this agressive police man started agressivly saying in French (despite us and his colleagues saying we spoke English) that he didn't care and that in French airports it is not allowed to carry them in your hand luggage and nearly threw it away. So I then immediately asked him to see said rules to which he responded - still in French - "Google it" and "we don't have to show rules to you". Already quite upset by all of this I showed him that on the easyjet site it does say it is okay to which he still said he didn't care. Since this little pocket knife has big sentimental value I demanded to get it back and asked to other security guards if I could send it via post or go back and check in my bag. I was allowed to do that and found out it only took 6 euros to check in my bag. Since it was so easy (and totally affordable) to check in the bag, I'd like to 1) tell the guards they don't have to be agressive towards travellers who were badly informed and just suggest the check-in option with a calm voice and 2) easyJet, please update your website so that it displays the correct information. It did indeed say at the check-in desks that the pocket knife was not allowed, but I checked in online and had no way of knowing about this. The airport is just overall dirty.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"we experienced very few positives"

Trip Verified | I never usually leave a bad review of an establishment and I usually try and see the positive however with this airport we experienced very few positives. After arriving in Bordeaux we were herded like cattle into the worlds longest queue, part of which was outside in scorching heat, once we completed one part of the queue and found were hopeful for the end we discovered as we went to main passport control room there was still a mass of zigzag queuing to be done (photo attached). By this point, 45 minutes later and half of the queue down my 5 year old was desperate for the toilet. Luckily the airport staff let family skip some of the queue so we were able to get to baggage collection only to be confronted with one working toilet which we queued for. This toilet was the most revolting toilet I have ever seen. I won’t describe it here in case people are eating. We then had to make a mad dash to try and find another one. We had to leave arrivals and make a swift search for a toilet and ended up in the main departure terminal which is quite a stroll in 34 degree heat and a desperate 5 year old. Meanwhile the husband is panicking about lack of luggage which appeared on another conveyer belt. Naturally we were very concerned about our return trip home. We were in the Billi terminal which is pretty dire. We had to wait for a significant amount of time before we could check in our bags and there were no toilets. When our bags were weighed and labelled we then had to take them to another area to be checked. We then went through security. For the first time ever the machines went off (I left my Iwatch on) and I was checked thoroughly so I will say they were very good on security and thorough. Once through there was not enough seating for everyone including the cafe Where we bought sandwiches which were so soggy and massively overpriced but that is to be expected. We then get an announcement that speedy boarding are to check in, however no one knows the gate and as a result we start forming a queue (very British) by a random guessed gate (powers of deduction). Surprise surprise wasn’t the correct gate. About 15 min later they announce the gate and everyone has to do a quick about turn. After that we wait some more to get on plane and have to walk a little way to get on. I honestly wish to never return to this disorganised airport ever again.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"perfectly lovely little airport"

Not Verified | I have no idea what you people are moaning about! Bordeaux is a perfectly lovely little airport, a little aged perhaps, but kept clean, well sign posted and very easy to get around. I interacted with car rental people (return hire car), airport information person, baggage check people, Air France staff and security. Not once did I get any bad feelings and as soon as I started talking in Australian all people were lovely and helpful, giving clear and polite instructions directions etc in English. Facilities at the airport are great, I counted at least 6 places to buy food and the same number to buy snacks. Prices were also comparable to anywhere else’s I have been in France. Airport was well sign posted in English and was very easy to get around. Toilets were all clean. As for the final boarding area, there are toilets and refreshments available - but remember you are at the final boarding point, so yes limited fare. Plenty of seats and nowhere near as bad as people are saying. All I can say is if you find this place a bother you shouldn’t be allowed to travel in public alone! A nice little airport, professional staff and a nice feel to it!
Date VisitJuly 2018