Birmingham Airport

Birmingham Airport customer review

I have just returned from BHX airport. The airport itself is nice and airy and plenty of places to eat. There are several hotels just outside the building within walking distance. Its easy to find your way around the building. However the majority of the staff at the airport are not that friendly. A smile seems too much of an effort. The airport security staff seem to have the biggest attitude problems. I realize they have a responsible job and take things seriously but I think it sometimes goes a bit too far. Instead of the 20 x 20 cm plastic freezer bag for carry on liquids I unfortunately had a 23 x 15 bag. (Who honestly measures this bag before packing?) I was scolded by a female staff member who obviously wasnt too happy at this time of the morning (0730) and was told to go over to a machine where I could purchase 4 plastic bags of the required size for GBP1. I wasn't alone there where several passengers being forced to do this. Strangely enough I had come through Frankfurt Hahn and Glasgow Airport prior to this and my plastic bag hadn't been a problem at all.

Birmingham Airport customer review

I have just returned From Birmingham Airport having taken my wife to catch a flight. She regularly flies to various destinations around the world usually from Heathrow. I always stay with her until she goes through to security why wouldn't I? At Heathrow I have stayed for up to three hours and have never paid more than 10GBP. My less than one hour stop at Birmingham airport has just cost 17GBP. When I pick her up next week I'm going to drive around and around the roundabout until she calls to say she's outside the terminal building. Just to pick up will even cost a quid! Last time I was at Heathrow it was free to pick up. BHX certainly knows how to rip off it's customers.

Birmingham Airport customer review

ServiceAir Premium check in crew for EK were wonderfulg. Fast Track immigration for J passengers. Serviceair lounge was packed as EK put all their economy wheelchair passengers and families in their too. Boarding a nightmare as the flight to DXB was rather like the Polar Express and children wheelchair and J passengers all go in the same pen. On the whole its good to fly long distance from a local airport.

Birmingham Airport customer review

Refreshingly the long stay parking is very near to the terminal. Check in/Immigration was speedy. Departure lounge was roomy with lots of shopping/catering choice. Me and my husband both agreed we would actively look for destinations from this airport again for weekend breaks.

Birmingham Airport customer review

Birmingham Airport is awful for the disabled! My husband requires special assistance when we go on holiday due to his mobility difficulties. Every time without fail he falls through the cracks at some point. Birmingham (BHX) is not capable of providing a seamless special assistance service for the disabled traveller.

Birmingham Airport customer review

Get ripped off while you're dropped off! What other airports expect their customers to pay for the privilege of merely arriving at this airport? Avoid these charges by dropping off at Birmingham International rail station (next door) and taking the shuttle which takes you to the centre of the airport. Make arrangements to be picked up the same way on return.

Birmingham Airport customer review

Check in was a nightmare. It took us over 1 hour to check in. The main reason for the delay was that at check in if cases were even a tiny amount over weight they were forcing the mainly elderly passengers to re-pack from one case to another sending many to the back of the queue again and reaping a small fortune in excess luggage charges. The queue grew longer and longer with many passengers clearly distressed and nobody managing the situation. Eventually I asked for the supervisor and was pointed to a young man who had his head buried in a check in machine for 45 minutes - showing no proactivity in managing the situation. Generally prices to Malta are higher from Birmingham than elsewhere. Drop off zone is a rip-off.