Birmingham Airport

"The safety requirements for COVID seemed close to non-existent"

Not Verified | A complete shambles at security. Birmingham Airport should be ashamed of their service today. They know a busy schedule in the morning, they completely under-resource the security desks, the result - huge queues. Took me around 2 hours to get through security, people were having to be pulled out of queues to fast track to get to flights on time. The safety requirements for COVID seemed close to non-existent. Perhaps the powers that be at Birmingham Airport might think we have a lot of flights in this period today so lets make sure we are staffed to deal with this. If the management are not able to manage these simple arrangements perhaps they need replacing.
Date VisitNovember 2021

"ridiculous rule regarding dropping off"

Not Verified | I agree with J. Bell, 7th September, who said his aircraft was held for a considerable time - mine was the same the following week on 14th September. Fortunately, although the hold up was exasperating, it wasn't a problem. My main grumble is the 'ridiculous rule' regarding dropping off in the airport vicinity. I was dropped immediately adjacent to the Ibis Hotel (using a small lay-by for no longer than 30 seconds) I then entered the hotel because I was staying there for the night before my flight. This little excursion culminated in an extortionate fine for breaching terms and conditions of use of the car park. How Ambassador Road can be considered a car park is beyond me. APCOA Parking are there because the airport employs them, so they must take some responsibility for theiir actions as well as taking considerable money from the airport users who are almost a captive audience.

"No staff anywhere"

Not Verified | Passport control was good but waiting about 20 minutes for the stairs to get off aircraft and waiting over 40 minutes for baggage after getting through passport control. No staff anywhere, nothing communicated either.
Date VisitSeptember 2021

"Birmingham Airport arrivals is the worst"

Not Verified | I noticed that someone else has commented on the fact that the ground staff at BHX always seem to be surprised by the arrival of an aircraft and they are never ready. Tonight, after a 40 minute EasyJet flight from Belfast, we remained trapped on the aircraft (a full aircraft) for the same amount of time because nobody appeared to a) guide the aircraft onto its stand and then b) to bring a set of steps (just the front steps, obviously, it would have inconvenienced them far too much to bring both front and rear steps! It was very warm on board and although passengers all wore face masks this had to be a breeding ground for Covid - I wonder how many of us will have caught it after this disgraceful experience. Don’t these individuals realise that, ultimately, they will harm themselves by risking their jobs? People do have a choice and, if the comments this evening are repeated on other flights it doesn’t look good for them. Birmingham airport has an appallingly bad reputation for dealing with arriving aircraft and their apparent disdain for passengers. I have travelled the world and without a doubt Birmingham Airport arrivals is the worst by a considerable margin. Simply dreadful.
Date VisitSeptember 2021

"the only airport in which I felt very unwelcome"

Trip Verified | When I arrived BHX from a long trip that began on 31/8/2021, I mistakenly passed Baggage and into the airport without collecting my luggage. I was directed by a helpful WH Smith employee to Assisted Travel across from Spar. The employee there directed me to a phone where you may call to have your luggage brought to you (you can't go back at this point for security reasons), but was extremely rude. Once I arranged to have my luggage brought, I asked for assistance: my phone ran out of power and I needed to let my husband know my plane had arrived. She shouted the words "there!" and pointed to an area she said had a payphone (as if I was a dog). I discovered that phone was out of order so I returned and told her and she replied by pointing in the opposite direction. I eventually reached my husband and then sat in the designated seating area across from Spar to await my luggage. I observed this employee as she courteously (I'd even say sweetly) fielded questions from other passengers. Each of my own attempts to speak to her resulted in her pulling faces and replying in a loud and rude manner. She conveniently had her ID badge turned around such that I could not see her name. When I'd waited 1.5 hours I asked her if it typically took that long, to which she bellowed we are busy. I travelled thru ORD, Dublin and BHX, but Birmingham Intl was the only airport in which I felt very unwelcome.
Date VisitSeptember 2021

"each experience gets worse and worse"

Trip Verified | As a regular user of Birmingham Airport due to its good proximity, each experience gets worse and worse. On departure, there are always long queues going through security due to low staffing levels so allow plenty of time before your departure time. The worst experience is on arrivals. Birmingham Airport always seem surprised when a plane arrives and you quite often have to wait a long time for the ground staff to provide the facilities for you to disembark from the aircraft. The next delay is the understaffed Border Control with long queues being very common. However the worst experience is trying to reclaim your luggage which takes a ridiculously long time compared to other airports both domestic and foreign. Last nights experience took 1hr 45mins from disembarking the aircraft to actually leaving the airport. The baggage area was full of hundreds of people trying to reclaim their luggage from 3 different flights all from a single carousel (no.4). Going forward, I’ll probably start using Bristol airport and hope for a better experience. It can’t be any worse?

"an absolute sham"

Not Verified | The running of this airport can only be referred to as an absolute sham. Just arrived today and had to wait with a disabled passenger for just over an hour on the plane while waiting for assisted help. But saying that, it made no difference as the luggage did not get unloaded until the same time. Waited a further hour after this for the luggage to be loaded on the belts. No other planes on the tarmac at all, but still took over 2 hours to get away. There are no staff, the baggage office staff ended up loading the bags themselves as no one else available. TUI, mitie and Swissport staff will get the blame, but it is quite clearly the airport management that are not capable of running the airport successfully. Absolutely shocking, would sooner travel to other airports in the future.

"Usual hopeless service"

Trip Verified | Usual hopeless service at this airport. I've lived in Birmingham all my life and, unfortunately, been in a position where it is difficult or costly to use a different airport, although when I can use an alternative, I do not hesitate. I travel abroad (Pre-covid) at least 3 times a year, every year, and BHX is consistently the worst airport I have ever experienced in any country. It is so badly run it's unreal, it is not staffed to a level that provides a good service and never has been. I'm sure right now, they would use Covid as an excuse, but to be honest this experience was not really much worse than the usual garbage experience there. No bag drop .. so online check in is totally pointless, even though the website very proudly shows how successful their self service bagdrop is. Usual lies. Security ... 14 lovely modern bays available, another advertising fallacy, only 4 in use on a really busy Saturday with flights heading everywhere. One and a half hour long queue and the unfortunate, overworked staff who were there were absolutely buried and couldn't cope. I'm dreading the return flight, as BHX is usually even worse when you arrive there. It's the only airport I've ever landed at that always seems completely and utterly surprised that a plane full of people has turned up!!! Never any stairs available, or no coaches or nobody to open the doors and the baggage handling is appalling. I happily pay more and travel further to avoid this regular fiasco, but especially now with Covid, it is not always possible due to lack of options and I have had to suffer yet another awful departure from this dreadful airport

Birmingham Airport customer review

Trip Verified | Only one baggage carousel open dealing with 4 planes. From plane doors opening to first bags off for our plane was 1.5 hours, appalling service. BHX get your act together if you want to be one of the big players.
Date VisitAugust 2021

"Usual poor service at this airport"

Not Verified | Usual poor service at this airport. Checked on internet before leaving home which informed me that Boots and WH Smith would be closed and Wetherspoons would be open. So we made a special journey to get some magazines before we got to airport . And we looked forward to a relaxing drink and food in Wetherspoons Guess what? Boots open, WH Smith open, Wetherspoon closed. Total shambles all round. I know we’ve got COVID but I head a business that’s doing quite well in all of this simply because we care about our customers and get it right. In an age of technology as we are in I think the airport management should insist that websites of airport facilities should be correct. Check it someone and get it right!
Date VisitJune 2021