Birmingham Airport

"Absolute joke of an airport"

Not Verified | 40 minute wait for bags at 21.40hrs. Absolute joke of an airport. Always has been and always will be. Carousel was started 20 mins after flight landed presumably to get to the magic ‘20 min average wait time’, despite no bags being on it for another 20 mins. This airport does not care about its customers. If it did it would not have customers waiting 40 minutes for this bags to arrive.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"everyone was very helpful"

Trip Verified | Good service! We arrived back at Birmingham late on a Saturday night. The luggage conveyor belt stopped working and then our second suitcase didn’t arrive. However, a gentleman at lost luggage took our details although it was now midnight. We phoned back next day and were given a Lufhansa tracking number. Later that day our case had been found and delivery arranged for the Monday. We phoned the phone number for baggage delivery and the gentleman was really helpful. He even phoned the driver to give us a time for delivery and suitcase duly arrived. It was difficult to get through to the lost luggage department as obviously very busy but everyone was very helpful. Many thanks.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"excelled themselves with bad customer service"

Not Verified | Awful airport, or more to the point, awful baggage handlers (Swissport). Flew back from Amsterdam which took around 80 minutes with one piece of hand luggage which had been put in the hold due to no room on plane. All the hold luggage was then offloaded onto the wrong carousel, had to wait over 2 hours to get it back. Birmingham airport is always bad getting through security and the baggage handlers must be some of the worst in the world, normal wait is between 30 and 60 minutes but they excelled themselves with bad customer service this time. Wouldn’t recommend this airport.

"it was a joke"

Not Verified | My husband is registered disabled with a blue badge we booked through TUI valet parking at Birmingham airport. Found the parking easily and was shown to a parking spot and then asked for the car keys, took some pictures and walked off. I asked for some help but he refused. I rang the number on the card a lady answered and said there is no one that can help. I had to struggle with 2 suitcases and a husband on crutches down 2 slopes across two roads in order to get to the departure lounge. It then took me 20 mins to find some help. On our return, I found a porter who helped me by getting a wheelchair and trolley and escorted us to our car, loaded our luggage and was very kind. I gave him a big tip for his trouble despite having paid over £100 for the valet parking - it was a joke! I myself am 71 years old and if I could make a suggestion I would suggest that your customer managers take a trip as a disabled passenger to Sal in Cape Verde to learn how to treat disabled passengers with respect, humour, kindness and 1% courtesy.

"Pleasantly surprised"

Trip Verified | Pleasantly surprised after reading all the negative reviews of this airport. Arrived 17th May on EK037 at 19.30hrs and despite a delay in "deplaning" from the lower deck due to airline security and police boarding to remove some passengers I was driving away in my hire car by 20.15hrs. Transit through immigration as a "non EU" passport holder was swift, luggage was available within 10 mins of arriving at the carousel and there was a 5 min walk to the car hire office. Based on this experience I'd happily use BHX as an entry point to UK,
Date VisitMay 2019

"two hours for luggage to come"

Not Verified | It took around two hours for the luggage to come on the carousels which is ridiculous. This is so poor for an unbelievably big airport and how busy it is. It’s like they can only do one plane at a time it’s that slow. I think that they have the same staff for every carousel
Date VisitJune 2019

"time they got their act together"

Not Verified | This place is the pits. The plane arrived 10 minutes early from Gran Canaria, for once quite a fairly quick route through passport control but more than an hour waiting for luggage to come through. 3 flight arrivals at once. About time they got their act together.
Date VisitMay 2019

"Airport property Airport responsibility"

(Spain)

Not Verified | Upon arrival at BHX on a Ryanair flight from Fuerteventura, as usual we were parked by T2, on previous occasions we were told to climb up 2 floors by a metal staircase on the outside of the unused air bridge. Since I twisted my ankle a month ago I find it a little painful to climb stairs. Asking a member of ground crew if they could direct me to a lift. No you should have booked assistance, how did I know I would have to use the stairs. Trudging up the metal stairs an elderly started to fall backwards, if a young had not managed to stop her the airport would have been liable for many injured persons. Reported the matter to airport complaints and the local Health & Safety. The airport say its a Ryanair problem for not using the Air bridge, I disagree, Airport property Airport responsibility.
Date VisitMay 2019

"whole thing was a complete shambles"

Trip Verified | My Aer Lingus flight arrived at Birmingham slightly early, taxied to the gate and the ground staff took about 15 minutes to find and fix the exit steps. We were then shepherded onto a bus driven around the airport only to be held up by a tanker refuelling an aircraft. We were told to de-bus just as a Ryanair plane arrived next to the abandoned bus, very dangerous. We were then directed to walk up the steep steps including some elderly passengers onto the air tunnel only to find the exit doors locked, another ten minute wait. The whole thing was a complete shambles and put passengers at risk on a live airside path. The management need to get a grip at Birmingham Airport before there is a serious accident.
Date VisitMay 2019

"Queueing times are awful"

Not Verified | Queueing times are awful and despite starting with plenty of time, we arrived at the gate at last call. Security are rude and not consistent. I presented my liquids in a clear and fastened plastic bag and was told it was too big. I was given a much smaller bag which not all my liquids would fit into despite having less than the full quota. I was told to choose which to lose and 3 unopened brand new mini toiletries were put in the bin. The woman before me was allowed two bags. When I arrived home I measured the bag given by airport staff and it measures 18.5cm by 19cm, much less than the allowed 20×20cm.