Birmingham Airport

"nobody seemed to know what to do"

Trip Verified | Staff training needed in fire procedures. Yesterday we arrived from Dubai and awaited the return of our cases. Whereas I accept that an Emirates flight has a lot of baggage to take off the plane we considered the wait far too long - around 30 minutes. I have never waited so long in an airport to collect our baggage. Whilst still waiting the fire alarm went off and nobody seemed to know what to do. There was no loud speaker announcement just someone shouting to leave the building, which could easily have been missed if you were one end of the terminal. But as we tried to leave, the security doors were shut through to the outside area and people were kept locked in. As a public sector worker I have been trained to leave the building immediately and yet we were locked in the baggage collection area, which I consider a breach of fire regulations as shouldn't you leave immediately and report to an allocated point in the airport? Nobody seemed to know what to do and people were told not to collect any more bags but to leave - we couldn't. This could have turned into a very serious fire with casualties as people were not trained to react quickly. If the safety and security of passengers is of paramount importance why did this not continue when a fire bell rang - shame on you Birmingham Airport.
Date VisitMarch 2020

"such a chaotic security process"

Not Verified | I’ve never experienced such a chaotic security process. It is purely an organisational issue as there are copious members of staff. Travelling weekly through this airport I consider I am sufficiently experienced to see the inefficiencies compared against other airports globally. In addition it’s the first airport I have come across where it’s impossible to have a mobile phone signal. The available free WiFi is intermittent and next to useless. Good luck fellow travellers!
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"disgraceful airport"

Not Verified | I am a wheelchair user, when I was coming back from a work trip to New York the airport had me waiting 30 minutes before helping me get off the plane leaving me to feel sore and a further 13 minutes for baggage to be delivered to the collection hall. Also, when I asked the staff that help disabled airport users to help with my baggage they refused to help and I quote "it's my own issue" and I find that really offensive because I didn't ask to be in a wheelchair. I will never use that disgraceful airport again.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"security person did not even try to make sense"

(Cyprus)

Trip Verified | I travelled from Cyprus to Birmingham for a few days only. I did not have hold luggage but only one cabin bag. From Cyprus I was allowed to take my 100ml toiletries including perfume, a travel size lotion, toothpaste, travel size make-up remover, face cream, medical cream, lipstick tube and a joint pain relief oil (100ml). I had them in a transparent zipper bag from Cyprus. However I was not allowed to bring them all back because I had to fit all this in a 20x20cm sealed bag from the airport. The security person did not even try to make sense! He said only take what fits in the bag and must be completely closed! I only had the basics! So you want to tell me all the tourists coming to Cyprus carry only a lipstick, a perfume and a tiny body lotion? Most of them come with cabin bags only! Ridiculous!
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Boycott this facility if you have any alternative"

Not Verified | Took longer to transfer baggage from the plane than it took to fly from Austria (one and a half hours). BHX has the very worst reputation for baggage handling and the airport authority couldn't care less. Airport blames the airline, airline blame the baggage handling company, no-one cares. Boycott this facility if you have any alternative.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Could not believe her attitude"

Not Verified | The airport itself was fine, I just felt the need to express how disgusting this woman’s behaviour was. Passport control / UK border! Not sure what had upset this wretch, but I’ve never quite seen/experienced anything like it! 4 of us back from Amsterdam, queuing at border control. Nice chap directing us to the 2 desks that were open (for about 200 people), fantastic. All of a sudden this witch on a power trip pipes up! ‘If you’re in a group stay together’ in such a snappy manner. For one we've just got off the plane (11.30pm) 2 there are no signs that say this, and 3 manners cost nothing you jumped up old bat! Could not believe her attitude, looking at us like she’s just stood in dog mess! You sit at a desk, and look at passports at the border. I wish I’d gotten her name!
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"1 hour at border control"

Not Verified | Time that we spent on New Years Eve evening on border control is something like years ago in countries like Soviet Union, over 1 hour! Shocking, never happened before.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"our trip was trouble-free"

Trip Verified | Far better than Manchester! Other travellers seem to have big problems at BHX but our trip was trouble-free and a good start/end to the short break. Outbound at 07.45 Thursday - no queues at SAS check-in, speedy and efficient process at security and reasonable offer of catering outlets for breakfast. Inbound at 21.30 Sunday - smooth process at passports, luggage came through in reasonable time.

"a disappointing experience"

Not Verified | It is a shame that because Birmingham management is after revenue rather than customer satisfaction that the best way to access the airport is from the railway station and the short stay car park. Also good for pick up as the costs at BHX are prohibitive. Also, taxis are cheaper from the station as BHX levy a higher surcharge. Always a disappointing experience to fly from BHX. The culture towards the customer is wrong.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"shocking wait for our suitcases"

Trip Verified | Again another shocking wait for our suitcases, the last 4 trips have been like this. Have been off the aircraft over an hour now and still no cases! How is it that smaller airports in the world have your cases going around by the time you get to the baggage claim but Birmingham airport can never manage it!
Date VisitNovember 2019