Birmingham Airport

"horrified at the treatment cases are subjected to"

Trip Verified | We arrived yesterday at the terminal 2 (old Eurohub) baggage collection area and were horrified at the treatment cases are subjected to. They fall from too high down a ramp, and hit the side of the carousel. If there is already a case going round they crash into that. I have never seen this at any other airport or even in terminal 1. Arrivals have always been treated badly at Birmingham with either no bus or driver available, arriving at the wrong gate (International instead of domestic) and not enough Border Force staff. I noticed the passport scanning terminals have now all been removed.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"it continues to meet my expectations"

Not Verified | I really don't get the negative comments about BHX. Birmingham is my local airport and it continues to meet my expectations, in particular as it is a much more convenient option than Heathrow or Manchester. If you don't want to go on a two hour shopping trip before your flight, and your main priorities are checking in, having a light meal or a drink before you travel and not having to walk for miles on end, then Birmingham is perfect! Check in for our Flybe flight was straightforward as we used the automated check-in and bag drop service, which worked very well. Security queue at 6am on a Saturday morning in the summer holidays was less than 10 minutes. I can't argue with that. We went for breakfast at All Bar One in the former Eurohub part of the airport, which is always less crowded than the main part of the departure lounge. By the time we'd finished that, it was time to board from the gate approximately 50 metres away. On arrival back at Birmingham, we waited less than 2 minutes at Passport Control and the officer there joked with my young son. For me her attitude was spot on - did her job but without being surly. Bags arrived within 20 minutes and we were in a taxi 35 minutes after landing. What more could you ask for?

"Shocking passport control"

Not Verified | Shocking passport control on a busy Sunday evening. Only 5 desks in total, 1 solely for non-EU, 2 not in use when arrived with at least 3 flights full of queues. One more border control officer arrived after approx 5 mins. No electronic option. Welcome to the UK is a minimum 45 minute queue at passport control, that's before baggage. I travel frequently and our UK airports have been some of the worst I've experienced globally. Such a great way to welcome visitors.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

Birmingham Airport customer review

Not Verified | Delayed departure by 35 minutes. I've come to expect delays and inefficiencies at this airport including a wait for baggage to arrive on the carousel which was longer than the duration of the flight from Dublin!

"A real shame"

Trip Verified | Every thing great except for the return to Birmingham. We waited 1 hr 15 to get the bags from the flight. There were no Baggage Handling staff to complain to. When your plane lands at BHX you think you are home but then need to add another 1 hr 45 delay waiting for the bus, waiting for a gate to unload and then the joy of SwissPort. Been like this for so many years you think you would see some improvement. It is sad that it is hardly news anymore. A real shame.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"not enough staff on the desks"

Trip Verified | Over an hour waiting to get through immigration, not enough staff on the desks. 5/6 staff moving barriers in the electronic passport check when there was nobody there and a hall full of annoyed families who aren’t allowed to use them with a child under 12. I am from Birmingham and am amazed at the utter disorganisation of this place and it never seems to get any better year in year, in fact I think it just gets worse. This isn’t the first time as when we departed a week ago the queue for Tui was about a mile long at 4 am in the morning. Baggage issues! Bags being collected manually. I think I’ll fly from Bristol next time.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"perfectly happy with Birmingham"

(Egypt)

Not Verified | I use Birmingham Airport regularly, and I'm genuinely baffled by the negative reviews. It's a small regional airport, and its facilities reflect that, but I find it vastly preferable to flying out of London. Addressing some key points: 1) There are excellent public transport options, with regular trains directly into Birmingham New Street - which take all of 15 minutes. 2) While it's slightly irritating that the airport charges for 'premium drop-off' at the terminal (which, contrary to another recent review, is both possible and straightforward; it just costs £3), the free drop-off point is only a 5-10 minute walk (for me at least) from the terminal - it just isn't very well signposted. At least, unlike many regional UK airports, BHX actually has a free drop-off. 3) The airport seems to have set up space for long security queues, but in four years of using the airport for both domestic and international flights several times a year, I don't think I've ever waited for security more than 20-30 minutes. Usually, the wait is much shorter, in the 5-10 minute range. 4) Airside isn't thrilling, but is adequate for a relatively small single-terminal regional airport; it's no worse than Edinburgh or Dublin, and the latter is the airport of a European capital city. It's not as if I'm expecting facilities to match Changi or Incheon - but it's certainly better than Luton (conceding the latter is a very low bar). 5) I've always found passport queues (when flying internationally) and baggage claim (when I've checked in a bag) to be perfectly adequate. 6) I've never had a problem with the wifi. No doubt some people have had negative experiences at BHX (and I have, just once, run into a grumpy security guard), and their negative reviews reflect a genuine experience, but as a regular airport user (five departures this year so far) I'm perfectly happy with Birmingham.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"Not a traveler friendly airport"

Trip Verified | Terrible experience. No visitor information counter. Wifi never worked on arrival or departure in the terminal. Everyone has to walk almost 3 blocks from drop off point to terminal,outdoors. (you cannot be dropped off at the terminal!) You have to wait inside a door at the bus stop for the bus to the city. It only opens when the bus comes, you do not wait on the street. We missed the bus because it only waits a few seconds and we didn't see the door open until too late. Not a traveler friendly airport!

"EMA here we come"

Not Verified | Birmingham airport, I’m embarrassed. Landed at 15.50 all going well from plane to carousel, then the delay! How hard can it be for someone to take some bags off the plane and bring them to the carousel belt! I’m still waiting and the time is now 17.06. Stroll on next holiday EMA here we come.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"airport is all about making money from parking"

Not Verified | Passenger processing time is getting slower, they are always confused as the scanner check out is not working properly. Parking is so expensive here and the 30 minutes free car park is an 18 minute walking distance both ways combined. I think the airport is all about making money from parking. I usually travel Heathrow and that is no where near this expensive. The drop off car park is £5 per 15 minutes. And only Chaufered and luxury vehicles can pick up and drop off directly outside the airport.
Date VisitJune 2019