Birmingham Airport

"security tedious and unprofessional"

Trip Verified | Upon the advice of family living in Cheltenham we changed our plans for a short visit to Dublin to depart from BHX rather than LHR - what a mistake! Having never used this airport before I attempted to familiarise myself by studying the airport web site and in particular the airport layout map - useless! Having to return a rental car the major approach signage is woefully lacking, any number of signs for various car parks but only one for car rental return - at the last turn. Even then more confusion as the entrance to the car rental return lot only identified two companies when in fact the entrance is used by them all. It is a short trek from the car return point to the terminal but by no means all under cover and in inclement weather would ensure a soggy start to your trip. We have travelled extensively for almost 50 years but who would have thought a major international airport would have the check-in desks on the arrivals level (not at all clear from the web site map or in terminal signage)? The security process would have to be the most tedious and unprofessional that I have encountered throughout the world - poor advance advice as to what was necessary to be separated from carryon bags (eg kindles are treated as iPads); short bursts of movement followed by unexplainable stoppages; once in the security area an unnecessary arrogance on behalf of the staff (eg a general call by one member of “get it right first time or we’ll keep you back for 50 minutes). I have bilateral knee replacements and always remove my footwear, belt and watch and empty my pockets, on approach to the screen I advise the attendant that I will be setting the alarm off, the brusque response of “what’s wrong with you” was both unnecessary and impolite. Once airside should you be a shopper it will delight but otherwise seating is minimal outside catering outlets and since departure gates were only identified 30 to 40 minutes prior to departure (note departure not boarding) seating there was a last minute option. The aircraft was not assigned an air bridge (possibly to facilitate a faster turn round) but this entailed a descent of three floors from the departure area to the ramp followed by front or rear stairs to the aircraft. On the whole my impression is one of a poorly operationally organised management whose priority seems to be a shopping mall; we will not be repeating the experience.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"no scope for feedback"

Trip Verified | Amazing cheerful and efficient shopping staff. Sadly I am planning to no longer use this airport. The airport staff at incoming immigration are the worst I have ever seen, and I travel frequently on business and have flown since childhood. I have temporary access issues and they were not only unhelpful but belaboured their explanations of the different queues as if I was mentally challenged. I could hear the 4 of them laughing and repeating my query as I limped away. I feel awful for those who truly are challenged or may have permanent access needs -- a simple kind word goes a long way when one is in pain, exhausted or on medication. On exit there is no scope for feedback by pressing a smiley face series as there used to be at the end (I used to rate it highly) and I know why!
Date VisitOctober 2018

"Very poorly managed airport"

Not Verified | Very poorly managed airport. Took 15 mins for stairs to be delivered to aircraft. Another 40 mins for baggage. Bags always slow. Very frustrating for a business traveller trying to make meetings. On departure security queues are always long. They never have enough staff on to cope with demand.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"an awful experience"

Not Verified | Nightmare. From getting into the airport to boarding the plane I have never experienced such rude, ignorant staff. The staff at the TUI desk, apart from 1 lady behind the desk, thought it was ok to speak to my husband like dirt and were extremely unhelpful. The staff through border control, again, very unhelpful and rude. Aspire lounge - the tables were dirty. There was a very limited choice of food. The optics were empty, yet a girl walking round with a trolley couldn’t wait to take my dish from me, before I had even swallowed my food. An awful experience and will be flying from East Midlands in future.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"grossly understaffed"

Trip Verified | At the age of 49, I can honestly say that Birmingham Airport today was the worst experience I have ever had. Trains delayed because of signalling. Ridiculous queues and grossly understaffed. Getting through security took well over an hour, and was rushed and unthorough. We were made to snake along on the most rediculously convoluted queue management systems with lines going back into themselves. Despite allowing 2 hours, and checking in prior to arrival, we were still rushed and had no time for duty free shopping. If I was a concession manager I would be asking for a refund as very view travellers had time to shop due to poor management and understaffing. Allow at least 3 hours, and preferably fly from somewhere else.

"Customer service rubbish"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Customer service rubbish. Car park too expensive and staff not helpful at all. I had a wrapped chocolate box for a gift and they have opened it to see inside. Why can’t they scan it. This place is a complete joke. We have enjoyed our whole time in the UK but got very disappointed at the departure.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"plenty of seating available"

Not Verified | This was an early-morning domestic departure with a pre-printed boarding pass and hand luggage only. I arrived in the airport car park at 5 a.m. and was through security and in the departure lounge by 5:20. Security was pretty busy with (I guess) lots of charter flights leaving, but it was efficiently managed and everyone with whom I interacted was polite and helpful. There was plenty of seating available in the lounge and I enjoyed a decent coffee and croissant from Pret a Manger at a perfectly reasonable price before getting on the plane. Return in the evening was quiet and, without the need for passport checks, I was in my car within 15 minutes of leaving the aircraft.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"Special assistance is a complete joke"

Not Verified | Special assistance is a complete joke! I got none on the outbound flight and on the inbound flight they left me completely abandoned after the airline damaged my wheelchair. After the treatment I got from the airline the special assistance just added insult to injury. It felt like a crime to be disabled. They just don't care at all.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"blown away by the amazing staff"

Trip Verified | I am blown away by the amazing staff at this airport. I just got off of holiday and was traveling back to the US when I found myself stranded at the airport without friends and a bed. I encountered an overwhelming amount of friendly staff. These included people at cafes, staff at help desks and even staff walking around like the friendly police. They helped calm me down and reassure me that I would make it to my home. I am so grateful for their joy and love that they showed me.
Date VisitJune 2018

"place is a complete joke"

Not Verified | Never again, dropped off my mother in-law. Parking is a joke. No drop off area when I got back to the car they charged me £25 for 50mins. First 30mins are free and its a 20min walk to the check in desk. Because of complications with check in it took me 50 mins. Better off going to Heathrow or Manchester next time. This place is a complete joke. The airport suits the city.
Date VisitJune 2018