Birmingham Airport

"no end of staff standing or sitting around"

Trip Verified | I arrived on a flight from Lleida following a skiing holiday in Andorra. It was a Sunday evening and only a small flight. When the baggage did eventually arrive it came in bits and drabs. We then went to the Oversized Baggage area as indicated to await our skis. Nearly 30 mins later our skis were delivered on the original baggage carousel. It must have been the quietest period possible at the airport with no end of staff standing or sitting around. Not one could or would give us information regarding the delay. Sad to say it's par for the course at that appalling place!
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"a dreadful airport"

Not Verified | Truly a dreadful airport, especially when arriving. Expect to wait upwards of 25mins for your bags, regardless of whether there were only a handful of bags on the plane. The whole airport feels like it needs a refurbishment. Quite a contrast from proper airports which really invest in the passenger experience.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"getting worse each time"

Trip Verified | I travelled on Friday 4th January. Birmingham security staff are rude & so unhelpful I notice they are getting worse each time I travel. This time I was told they cannot help push the trays through that hold belongings for security checks due to health & safety. This created a queue behind me as I had 2 kids to look after also. In total I had to use 5 trays and was told off for not putting shoes in one tray, coats in second tray, devices in 3rd tray and bags for tray 4 & 5. Don’t get me wrong I respect airport security they are there to prevent & protect but is a horrible experience. Security queuing times are definitely getting longer. Food is poor most of it is processed junk food. Have no choice to use Birmingham as nearest to my location
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"Avoid this airport like the plague"

Trip Verified | Avoid this airport like the plague! Where do I start, really bad signage, whole airport road system is one way and you are threatened with £100 fine if you stop anywhere. £80 parking charge for 1 hour, that’s right 1 hours parking near terminal if you stay in Hilton Garden Inn hotel as we did, it is miles from terminal and you need to walk 100s of yards with suitcases then take skytrack to terminal. I will never fly from this airport again! Hope this saves someone else from making same mistake.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"over an hour wait after landing"

Trip Verified | Departure was fine with Ryanair but once again over an hour wait after landing to get the case. This airport uses Swissport who I guess are the cheapest supplier and as a result of their low costs don’t employ enough staff to do the job efficiently. It sours the experience at the airport and makes you less likely to fly from here in the future.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"patronizing & unsympathetic"

Trip Verified | Departing was problem free. Arrival was a different matter! We flew in with Emirates, unfortunately a child had fallen ill on the flight, so medics had been arranged to meet the plane & all the passengers were held on it. Not a problem, however no medics met the plane! I can only imagine the anguish of the parents as they had to wait 30mins for any medics to turn up! The cabin crew were scathing, rightly so! I hope never to need such "service". When we got off the plane, border control didn't seem ready for the arrival of 600 passengers, they'd only had an hour to prepare!?! I don't fly frequently, so was disheartened to find there to be no option other than e passport machines! They never work for me for the simple reason I have to remove my glasses & then can't see much tbh, certainly not the passport reader or the instruction screen! The "assistant" was condescending, patronizing & unsympathetic - really useful with a tired, just wanting to get home now, individual! This experience has put me off Birmingham airport, there staff need a few lessons in politeness & charm! It's not the airports fault that the e machines aren't fit for purpose though.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"security tedious and unprofessional"

Trip Verified | Upon the advice of family living in Cheltenham we changed our plans for a short visit to Dublin to depart from BHX rather than LHR - what a mistake! Having never used this airport before I attempted to familiarise myself by studying the airport web site and in particular the airport layout map - useless! Having to return a rental car the major approach signage is woefully lacking, any number of signs for various car parks but only one for car rental return - at the last turn. Even then more confusion as the entrance to the car rental return lot only identified two companies when in fact the entrance is used by them all. It is a short trek from the car return point to the terminal but by no means all under cover and in inclement weather would ensure a soggy start to your trip. We have travelled extensively for almost 50 years but who would have thought a major international airport would have the check-in desks on the arrivals level (not at all clear from the web site map or in terminal signage)? The security process would have to be the most tedious and unprofessional that I have encountered throughout the world - poor advance advice as to what was necessary to be separated from carryon bags (eg kindles are treated as iPads); short bursts of movement followed by unexplainable stoppages; once in the security area an unnecessary arrogance on behalf of the staff (eg a general call by one member of “get it right first time or we’ll keep you back for 50 minutes). I have bilateral knee replacements and always remove my footwear, belt and watch and empty my pockets, on approach to the screen I advise the attendant that I will be setting the alarm off, the brusque response of “what’s wrong with you” was both unnecessary and impolite. Once airside should you be a shopper it will delight but otherwise seating is minimal outside catering outlets and since departure gates were only identified 30 to 40 minutes prior to departure (note departure not boarding) seating there was a last minute option. The aircraft was not assigned an air bridge (possibly to facilitate a faster turn round) but this entailed a descent of three floors from the departure area to the ramp followed by front or rear stairs to the aircraft. On the whole my impression is one of a poorly operationally organised management whose priority seems to be a shopping mall; we will not be repeating the experience.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"no scope for feedback"

Trip Verified | Amazing cheerful and efficient shopping staff. Sadly I am planning to no longer use this airport. The airport staff at incoming immigration are the worst I have ever seen, and I travel frequently on business and have flown since childhood. I have temporary access issues and they were not only unhelpful but belaboured their explanations of the different queues as if I was mentally challenged. I could hear the 4 of them laughing and repeating my query as I limped away. I feel awful for those who truly are challenged or may have permanent access needs -- a simple kind word goes a long way when one is in pain, exhausted or on medication. On exit there is no scope for feedback by pressing a smiley face series as there used to be at the end (I used to rate it highly) and I know why!
Date VisitOctober 2018

"Very poorly managed airport"

Not Verified | Very poorly managed airport. Took 15 mins for stairs to be delivered to aircraft. Another 40 mins for baggage. Bags always slow. Very frustrating for a business traveller trying to make meetings. On departure security queues are always long. They never have enough staff on to cope with demand.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"an awful experience"

Not Verified | Nightmare. From getting into the airport to boarding the plane I have never experienced such rude, ignorant staff. The staff at the TUI desk, apart from 1 lady behind the desk, thought it was ok to speak to my husband like dirt and were extremely unhelpful. The staff through border control, again, very unhelpful and rude. Aspire lounge - the tables were dirty. There was a very limited choice of food. The optics were empty, yet a girl walking round with a trolley couldn’t wait to take my dish from me, before I had even swallowed my food. An awful experience and will be flying from East Midlands in future.
Date VisitSeptember 2018