Birmingham Airport

"What a difference 36 hours made"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | 2 days after my arrival the service was completely opposite. A 'special assistance' pick up from the Novotel was arranged fro 08.45. At 09.00 the hotel receptionist phoned and was told "someone is on their way now". At 09.15 another phone call with same response. At 09.25, with help of one of the hotel staff I managed to get to the terminal to avoid missing my flight. At the OCI special assistance desk there were about 8 staff hanging around showing no sign of urgency. I pointed out that there was only 30 minutes before check-in closure but was told "no worry". At 10 minutes to closure they noticed my case and said "you need to check in" so off we went to check-in and then not through departures but back to 'special assistance' because of 'new procedures' just brought in and there was no-one with a 'blue badge' to take me airside! Eventually it was decided 1 'blue badge' could take 4 wheelchairs and pushers through - so through to departures. When 'gate closed' was shown I called an OCS employee who rushed around and found another pusher for the final journey out in the bitterly cold open air about 100m. to the plane where we were lifted by the lift onto our plane about 5 minutes after specified departure time. What a difference 36 hours made!
Date VisitApril 2019

"Fantastic 'special assistance' service"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Fantastic 'special assistance' service. The hi-lift vehicle was waiting for our on-time arrival, I was wheeled straight through immigration and luggage retrieval by a chatty helper who even pushed me across to my accommodation at the Novotel. He commented "It won't be like this next with the summer schedules starting on 1st April". How true - see my departure report!
Date VisitMarch 2019

"security process is not traveler friendly"

Trip Verified | The security process is not traveler friendly. There is a lack of clarity and communication of what is expected of the traveler. All the communication is verbally and in general in a directive commanding tone, not friendly and welcoming. Over half of the bags are taking out of the xray, and not enough security personal is present to cope with the need to check trays resulting in a long waiting time. Ones a bag is checked it goes back trough the already congested xray delaying the process even further. All together I believe the procedures of the security process are outdated and inefficient. Add the inhuman connection and lack of communication a terrible experience. I am now traveling from different airports (ear midlands, Manchester & Luton) due to the security experience at Birmingham.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"Special Assistance were great"

Not Verified | Travelled with special assistance help to Lanzarote, with a family that included autistic children. Our parking booking was lost in the system and messed up but luckily I noticed and it was sorted by phone, that could have been incredibly stressful for the boys. Special Assistance were great, giving exactly the help level we needed in the knowledge we could ask for more if we had to. Our sons had never flown and it really helped. Only gripe was on the way back in, my husband went ahead with our older two sons and I had the two autistic younger ones. At immigration the lone guard separated the youngest and me from the fifteen year old, who is the most severe and was clearly wearing a lanyard. If my husband hadn't been close enough to call back or if I'd been on my own he'd have wandered off and in the past has hidden to avoid a crowd. I tried to speak to the guard but she was with another plane load and I couldn't get her attention. Surely putting us all through the non fast track process would be better than risking someone's safety?
Date VisitMarch 2019

"queues at Security were massive"

Not Verified | As on previous visits, the queues at Security were massive. In fact, the longest I’ve ever known. On return, despite the airport being fairly quiet we waited well over an hour for our baggage. The coveyer belt kept stopping and starting. Also, the queues at Immigration were long due mainly to the automated gates which, as always, didn’t work for me and lots of others. The only positives are the rail link and the food outlets.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"Birmingham continues to improve"

Not Verified | The experience at Birmingham continues to improve. The bag drop for our Qatar Airways flight took less than five minutes although there was a fairly substantial queue for those who had not checked in online. The security check renovation has finally been completed with a new access area into the queuing lines that allows you to sort your bags, liquids, ipads etc prior to reaching the scanners. We were through security within 20 minutes of arriving at the airport. We chose to eat at All Bar One which is round by Gates 1-16 in the "older" part of the airport as this is generally quieter than the restaurants adjacent to the main Departures Lounge and were able to grab a quick breakfast before heading to the gate to board our flight. The range of shops is not extensive with some of the usual High Street shops but nothing particularly high end. On our return we were among the first off the plane so made it through immigration within five minutes but then had to wait about 25 minutes for our bags to show up. Considering how quickly we had got to the baggage reclaim area I wasn't too surprised at this though.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"security friendly and efficient"

Not Verified | Parked car with ease in Car Park 1 and made very short walk across to the departures. Staff in security were very friendly and efficient - this was a straight forward as it could be. On return, staff were just as helpful. Passport control was efficient and one official gentleman chatted happily to our 7yr old son whilst we waited. The passport staff was also extremely welcoming and chatty. Makes for an all round pleasant travel experience. Would happily travel from Birmingham again.

"Total lack of seating"

Trip Verified | Total lack of seating in the departure area. It appears the airport has sold out so much space to franchise food and drinks outlets there is very limited seating where you just seat down in a neutral area without having to buy food or drinks you don’t want. I would hate to be there when flights are delayed.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"Concerned about consistent approach"

Not Verified | Concerned about security staff having a consistent approach - I had an unopened travel size shampoo purchased in the airport at Belfast taken from me at Birmingham Airport as I was unable to fit in my Clear bag yet another passenger was given a 2nd clear bag to use.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"shockingly rude and aggressive treatment"

Trip Verified | Myself and partner experienced shockingly rude and aggressive treatment by a member of the security staff. It was a busy time with long queus of travellers going through security. Whilst myself and partner were waiting we were shocked by the way this member of staff was shouting and balling at people joining the many queues, ordering them in an extremely rude manner, to move somewhere else. When myself and partner reached the front of the queue she ushered us, with an extremely moody and sullen expression, towards the conveyor belt. My partner responded in his usual friendly and polite manner - 'Thank you sweetie.' The member of staff then stared at him. In fact she just stood and stared him out. My partner, naturally perplexed, asked her quietly, 'What's wrong?' To this she didn't respond and he simply turned towards the conveyor belt and proceeded to place his case, liquids, belt etc. into trays. I was also placing my belongings into trays whilst a male member of staff was quietly and helpfully monitoring this process. At this point, the female member of staff, whilst my partner had his back to her, ordered him to take his jacket off. He was just about to take his jacket off, as is the normal expectation when going through security, and didn't need to be ordered to do so. Equally, we were being managed at this time by a male member of staff and she did not need to inervene. Totally shocked I told her that she didn't need to speak to my partner in such a rude manner, I expressed how uneccessary and inappropriate it was. To this she became very loud and confrontational. Her confrontational manner continued by shouting back at us: You're rude! Don't be so rude! This was highly embarrassing as she was really causing a scene. It was as though she was on some power kick, using the opportunity of her position on security to belittle people. When we finally got through security we located a manager and made a complaint. This manager tried to play down the behaviour, saying that she was probably trying to hurry us along or that what she said came across in the wrong way and that it wasn't intentional. Overall this was a very upsetting start to our holiday which is supposed to be enjoyable/memorable. It was Valentine's Day and the trip had been arranged to celebrate this. I strongly believe that the airport should invest in staff training of security staff to ensure that they treat travellers with respect, courteously and politely at all times. They should ensure that people, getting satisfaction out of being controlling, arrogant and abusive, are not employed.