Birmingham Airport

"shocking wait for our suitcases"

Trip Verified | Again another shocking wait for our suitcases, the last 4 trips have been like this. Have been off the aircraft over an hour now and still no cases! How is it that smaller airports in the world have your cases going around by the time you get to the baggage claim but Birmingham airport can never manage it!
Date VisitNovember 2019

"provide the service you advertise"

Not Verified | Disabled travel. If you are considering using Birmingham Airport for travel and you require an Ambulift for access into plane then from our experience there is a very good chance that the assistance providers (a company called OCS will not have a driver available!). The result is you can climb the steps to the aircraft and injure yourself - Birmingham Airport are full of apologies but how about this for an idea? Just provide the service you advertise Birmingham Airport. Disgusted with you and your special assistance providers (OCS) - complete disgrace!

"everything well organised"

Not Verified | Very good airport with everything well organised good staff and fast security. Good shops around the airport and the aircraft arrived on time. The arrival at this airport was equally good.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"has to be the worst airport for disabled passengers"

Not Verified | Both my husband and I are disabled and we had to wait on the plane along with 2 other disabled passengers for 30 minutes until OCS who purportedly are Special Assistance Specialist came and off loaded us. In fact the new cabin crew were already on board ready to go to Krakow in Poland and could not therefore board their own passengers. OCS are the worst for disabled people they have no consideration that we do not want to be disabled, we do not like being disabled. It gets the holiday off to a bad start and finish. Unfortunately we fly from Birmingham because we live 15 minutes away but it has to be the worst airport for disabled passengers.

"signage is very poor"

Trip Verified | Having used Birmingham airport happily many times in the past, I was shocked at my recent frustrating experience. Firstly signage is very poor: I had to ask for location of departures and particularly for Lufthansa. Then the security debacle, a sign at the entrance stated in essence Laptops to be removed from hand baggage (or similar wording). As no other airport had required my iPad to be removed from my hand baggage on my trip from Australia and there was no sign requiring, it, I left it packed. So the baggage was promptly dispatched to the suspicious item area. After a 10 minute wait my iPad was removed and the process started again. And once again my bag was diverted, this time because a Kindle was in the baggage. Never in many many flights have I been delayed because of a Kindle. If this is a requirement of Birmingham airport then signs should be erected stating that tablets and electronic reading readers must be removed from baggage. Surly and unhelpful staff contact could then be minimised, thus taking some pressure of the staff and make for happier passengers. I thought Birmingham was a wonderful alternative to Heathrow but would be hesitant to use them again, it could not be worse than this.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"Utterly shambolic and frayed tempers"

Not Verified | Once again I had the misfortune to book a flight through Birmingham airport. Arriving on 10 October from Malaga with Ryanair, they fulfilled their obligation by delivering us to the terminal in a timely way. Then the problems started. 40 minutes to pass through immigration control. No electronic scanners and only 3 officers on duty to handle at least 3 flights arriving at similar times. There were 5 booths available, but 2 were unmanned. Surely the airport should be aware of flight schedules and plan accordingly. Then onto baggage collection. At the carousel some bags were available for collection but we had to wait a further 25 minutes for the next load of cases to arrive. No communication or explanation as to why the delay, nobody available to help and the Swissport desk unmanned! People were wandering around trying to get answers. My taxi was waiting outside for me and many of us with prebookings were incurring additional charges. Utterly shambolic and frayed tempers. This is not the first time that baggage collection has been chaotic but nothing gets done. Ironically people from the office of National statistics were conducting surveys. You can imagine comments from frustrated people that are unlikely to be included in the results. My taxi waited outside the airport for over 1 hour and we were standing in torrential rain as there are inadequate shelters in the pick up car park, only small pay stations. An utterly miserable experience not going to repeated unless no other alternatives available. As a showcase for the second city, appalling. Goodness knows what overseas visitors think.

"Wake up Swissport"

Not Verified | Birmingham is my 'local' airport and I usually quite enjoy using it - security issues aside. On Saturday 5th October I returned from an enjoyable Tui holiday to the Mediterranean only to experience chaos and confusion on trying to disembark and in the baggage collection area. I believe Swissport is to blame. Almost a third of the passengers on our Tui flight had disembarked when suddenly the queue to leave the plane stopped. We were informed that the landing steps had not been properly aligned - despite at least 30 passengers having used them. A delay of 20 minutes followed before we were allowed off. We got to our baggage carousel - number 6 - and, despite the 20-minute delay, found a stationery belt. By now there were around 150 passengers clustered around the carousel. Nothing happened for an hour - no belt movement, no explanation, no apologies. I tried to find out what was happening but no-one could explain, other than a few staff in hi-vis jackets who all stated that baggage delays are common at the airport. Apparently Carousel 6 is a bad one as it is located at the back of busy routes and difficult for handlers to access - that was the excuse I was given when I contacted Swissport after I reached home. Their customer service is pathetic: no explanation or apology for their inefficiencies was given to us and many passengers had connections to make, trains to catch and homes to return to. Communication is so important and a simple explanation and apology over the tannoy system would have placated us. Wake up Swissport and please get your act together. Your communication and customer service was appalling!
Date VisitOctober 2019

"long queues for security"

Not Verified | Long queue for boarding pass check-in and auto machines are not working. One man is sitting and scanning the boarding pass. After boarding pass check-in further long queues for security checks. Worst airport operation I've ever found.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"Baggage reclaim is a real shame"

Not Verified | Baggage reclaim is a real shame. Made the return experience quite stressful for me. There is no customer service. Why airports have to be such an awful experience for the arrivals. It’s bad enough for the departure and all the angry security staff, it’s like to work at the airport you must be nasty or you can’t work with them. It’s really distressing and most travellers are already distressed by the journey ahead. Anyways, the lack of customer service at Birmingham airport is palpable. In Paris and Amsterdam airport you get a tick button to review including the bathrooms, imagine. If I could travel by car, I would avoid airports at all cost.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"horrified at the treatment cases are subjected to"

Trip Verified | We arrived yesterday at the terminal 2 (old Eurohub) baggage collection area and were horrified at the treatment cases are subjected to. They fall from too high down a ramp, and hit the side of the carousel. If there is already a case going round they crash into that. I have never seen this at any other airport or even in terminal 1. Arrivals have always been treated badly at Birmingham with either no bus or driver available, arriving at the wrong gate (International instead of domestic) and not enough Border Force staff. I noticed the passport scanning terminals have now all been removed.