Belfast Airport

Belfast Airport customer review

I thought I was the only one who had complaints about Belfast International airport. The normal staff were helpful but the security staff were atrocious ignorant and nasty. Two experiences I had: My elderly mother was asked to remove a gold chain from her neck the chain was put carefully in the tray went through the x-ray machine but did not appear the other side. It was taken to the notice of security staff who basically said the necklace was not put on in the first place and there was nothing could be done. I refused to move until they got a member of management and the necklace turned up under the machine. Secondly an antique pocket watch was swab tested even though the watch passed through the x-ray machine without a problem. From one security extreme to another. Arriving from Amsterdam late one night there was a telephone on the "goods to declare desk" along with a notice saying that there was a staff shortage and if anyone had anything to declare please lift the phone and advise a staff member. One final complaint the smell of urine from a toilet behind the first restaurant as you go in was very strong one urinal bowl was leaking from the outlet and had a bucket under it. When I got back from holiday I emailed the airport and was told it would be taken care of. 2 months later I was back at the airport and the same bucket was still in place. Visitors must think they are entering a 3rd world country.

(Spain)

Unfortunately I have to travel out and into this abysmal airport for business purposes ever other week. I have read a lot of comments here and I now see in the news that it has been voted 4th worst airport in the UK. I'm surprised that it is not first. The staff at the security are ignorant! The queues are always long and totally mismanaged. Even if you clear the security scanner ready for the wander round the shops they will take a part of your luggage ie your phone and do a swab on it. Don't expect any early morning newspapers either as they wont pay the staff to come in to put them out. Get them before you go through security if you are lucky. I travel over 100 times per year out of various airports. I detest going through this one. Perhaps its a good thing that the security is so slow. Means you dont have to spend as much money at their shops if they are even open!

(South Africa)

I have used this airport both inbound and outbound about 6 times November last year. Perhaps I have been lucky as when I've passed the airport it has been very quiet no long queues for check in or and everybody has been polite and pleasant. Facilities are a little limited but adequate. The seating areas at the are uncomfortable and sometimes cramped but overall it's a friendly airport and staff are pleasant helpful.

Belfast Airport customer review

I flew from Alicante to Belfast at short notice on account of a family funeral. Disembarkation was frosty on account of the very surly and rude immigration and security staff. The transport links to Belfast are expensive. Facilities at the airport are functional. I was frisked by their security people and asked questions about my destination and purpose of visit. I was insulted as I am an EU citizen. This airport does not give a very good impression of Belfast.

Belfast Airport customer review

Every time I have used this airport over the last 20 years security staff have been rude and overbearing. On my most recent trip this weekend I was frisked despite not setting off any alarms it is a pain but no big deal. This time however they decided to stand my 10 year old son to one side to wait in line with grown men to be frisked I was informed by a right battle-axe to step away from the boy. Meanwhile all our bags have been opened and the security man speaking to my wife asked about wrapped gifts in one of the bags. My wife explained they were presents for the children. Unfortunately for me and my family it's the only airport we can use for the journey we do and I'd love to know what staff training has been provided over the 20 years I've been using it as nothing has changed.

Belfast Airport customer review

Rude overbearing and overly jobsworth security staff! The plastic bag used to fly out of Gatwick airport was now 2" too long for the return flight. Staff treated passengers like criminals and in the short time we were there saw more than 10 people treated very rudely. Will never use again!

Belfast Airport customer review

Flew from Belfast International to Alicante recently Check-in staff ok. Security staff atrocious. We were made to feel very ill at ease. They were very rude and abrupt to everyone in general. The only reason we suspect the public take this treatment is the fear of repercussions i.e. missing their flight. They should be sent to Alicante airport to take lessons.

Belfast Airport customer review

The security staff have actually improved over the last couple of visits but are still far more surly and domineering than most other UK airports. My real gripe here is the drop off charge - I get whoever is dropping me off to leave me at the roundabout beside the only Hotel at the airport its a quick two minute walk from there to the entrance.

Belfast Airport customer review

I found the security area to be fast and without issue I had no problem with any personnel as a lot of people who have left reviews already seem to mention. In other areas of the Airport I found the food to be expensive in the cafe adjoining the security area and in the fed and watered bar but apart from that everything else was fine including check-in which was quick and straightforward.

Belfast Airport customer review

I no longer use this airport as they consistently squeeze every last pound they can. Smokers - £1 trolley users - £1 plus £1 pp each time per passenger for set down and pick up. As for the food gourmet prices for greasy spoon quality just about sums it up. But what you should really ask yourself before using this facility is - given the extended time frame over which scores of other reviewers have lambasted the surly security staff attitude why have management not addressed the issue?