Beijing Capital Airport

"Staff are not friendly"

(Taiwan)

Trip Verified | Poor English ability of ground staff at Beijing airport. Staff working at the airport are not friendly or trying to help when you need. Staff show zero smiling face. Beijing immigration officers may not apply regulation on you without telling you any reason so forget about asking WHY !!

"Very hostile"

Not Verified | Unpleasant surprising departing experience. Looks beautiful from the outside but ugly from the inside. The airport terminal management should take a look at the reviews if they seriously strive to improve. If not, the biggest joke of the millennium. Will certainly avoid this airport in near future travel. Very hostile, especially from the immigration security check point staffs to departing passengers.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"by far the worst airport"

(Spain)

Not Verified | This is by far the worst airport I have ever been to in my life. We booked a flight with a 10 hour layover so that we could do a quick visit of Beijing. We did the research and it was doable, many companies actually offer layover tours for layovers of more than 7 hours. However, once we got there no one could guide us to the right counter, only a fellow tourist actually helped us. Once we got there a rude woman just yelled "no" at us and sent us elsewhere. Since no one in this entire airport spoke English and staff kept lying to us repeately (via translating apps) we had lost too much time to leave the airport and had to stay the entire 10 hour layover in this airport. Please note that this airport does not seem to have any kind of heating so with 0 degree temperature outside, the waiting hall was only marginally warmer and I think I've never been so cold in my entire life. So if you can't avoid a layover here, bring many layers of warm clothes and don't expect to be allowed to leave the airport if you don't have at least a 24hour layover. Also brace for very rude and incompentent staff.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"signage didn’t help much"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Beautiful airport and one cannot help but being awed by it. However transferring from a domestic to international flight, at least in my experience, and having to still check in for the next legs, was a hassle. We had to ask some three people where to do it, take a bus and then the people mover. Going through security, with all the yelling, the beeping, the handling, the tight spaces was hellish. The signage didn’t help much at some point either.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"expensive duty free"

Trip Verified | A big, modern airport. Inspection for transit passengers is slow and intrusive, involving two passport checks, taking a photo, baggage screening (often with staff removing items from carry on), passing through x-ray, plus physical frisking. I felt that I was being treated like a suspected terrorist. Few good dining options, and those that exist are expensive with so-so food. Several chain coffee outlets that are expensive. Many expensive duty free shops and a few high-priced shops selling local goods. As opposed to an airport like TPE or HKG, few interesting amenities for those waiting for a flight, although it's a great airport for walking. Free Wifi but it only seems to work if you have a Chinese phone number.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"no one to help"

Not Verified | Poor signage as to how to proceed once leaving the gate of incoming flight. Only 'transit' sign does not indicate it is for passengers with ongoing boarding passes only. So stand in queue for 10 minutes only to be told need to go to another lot of queues. No signs inside airport how to get from one terminal to another, no one to help. Took a total of 90 minutes to get from one flight to another including 3 lots of security checks and 2 immigration checks. Missed connecting flight. Have contacted airport since who don't acknowledge problem or how they will improve.

"absolutely horrible"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | We visited Beijing twice as a transfer hub twice during our trip. Both of the times were absolutely horrible. Terminal 3 was just a horrible mess when it comes to navigating to your gate. Also every other place was being renovated, so it looked more like a construction site than an actual airport terminal. Security for us was not too bad. General rudeness was in the air with the staff there. Also on the way back I got to witness a family being treated like trash due to the fact they didn't have common language. Shopping was pretty ok in general. On our way back we went to get something to eat and had to ask the food on the go, since our order took for ages. We noticed that people who came after us and ordered more food than us got theirs way before us. I suspect, that they had our food ready, just forgot to bring it. Once we got to the gate and prepared to chow down quickly, we noticed that the order was completely wrong. In the end we tossed more than 3/4 in the bin. Also, I wont let this be any factor in my review, but the airport is completely non-smoking. So for all you smokers out there, prepare for the fact that you cant have a smoke between flights here.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"what a mess to transit"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | I experinced transit at PEK twice : with and without mobility assistance (I had an accident in between both transits). What a mess to transit there. Expect 1-2 hrs queuing to get through useless passport and hand luggage control (this is transit) There is a transit lounge (booked online) but nobody knows what about. I could not explore and find it by myself. English is limited, more so than in Vietnam for instance. Travel with mobility assistance (was in crutches, can't go far with them). I have been correctly picked by wheelchair staff at plane exit. Same queuing though (I'm not asking for privilege just note the waste of time for wheelchair staff). I've been sitting near a wheelchair station with plenty of space. Woke up 2 hrs later nobody, all wheelchairs locked and toilets / drinking water as far as it could possibly be. How I'm supposed to do? A bit later some staff unlocked them to move them out. I "stole" one and moved by myself across the airport to reach my gate.

"floor is very dirty"

(China)

Not Verified | The airport's T1 and T2 terminals are old, small, and disgusting. The floor is very dirty and the walls are boring grey, white and blue; the wifi is bad; the seats seem to be old-fashioned and dirty; there are a limited number of shops, which look 80s, and cleaning crews are almost nonexistent. T3 of Capital Airport is good and modern, but you'd never want to depart in these two terminals.
Date VisitJune 2018

"good and bad experience"

Not Verified | I had a good and bad experience. Signage not poor but not good either. Initial immigration okay but do my fingerprints need to be scanned twice? Connecting gate information was very hard to find. I ended up asking the help desk. Security check fine. Okay. When I left Newark the said my bag was checked through to Shenzhen, so I didn't pickup my bag in BJ. And most airports you are directed where you have to pickup your bag and signage is crystal clear. Here signage was weak and if I wanted my bag I had to go out into normal baggage claim and outside security. So on arrival it didn't occur to me (like any other int'l arrival you always get your bag) to get my bag. So I continue to gate. It kept eating at me that this wasn't right. So I went to the help desk (right before boarding) and confirmed I needed my bag, told me exactly what to do. She contacted airlline on the spot and let them know. On way to bag claim (knowing my bag would not be on carousel), grabbed young man and he got me to baggage office quickly, also contacted airline to hold flight. After 10 minutes found my bag off in some hallway somewhere and he got me on track. Signage is so - so, but these 2 people were absolutely fantastic and while I was last person on-board - I made it.
Date VisitJune 2018