Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport

"Very disappointing experience"

Trip Verified | Very disappointing experience. Impolite staff at the information desk, one passenger who was in hurry asked few times the same question and the employee screamed on him!! Never seen anything like that. Very poor duty free. No smoking area which is really a big issue after you travel for hours and you have to wait for a connecting flight. I think I will never fly again with Thai just to avoid the transit at this airport.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"was warm and unpleasant"

Trip Verified | I had a nine hour layover in this airport recently. I decided that on arrival I would transit (from international arrivals to international departures), buy a book to read and spend some time in a pay lounge. Arrival was at a gate (instead of standing remotely, as is often the case), about 400 metres walk to the transit area, and there were moving walkways most people used. When I arrived at transit security there was a line of about 50 people, staff looked to be under pressure and were grumpy, but I still was able to get through to the departure level in a reasonably short time. I then managed to buy a novel in an Asia Books outlet that kept me entertained, but it was from a relatively small and not very interesting selection. As other posters have mentioned, the air-conditioning in this building is not great, and the area I found myself in was warm and unpleasant. Instead of waiting in this area (my pay lounge booking still required a wait of several hours before I could enter), I went searching for a better place and found one in F area that at this time of day definitely was cooler and a seat became available not long after I arrived. I connected to the free airport wifi (I normally use AIS free airport wifi), but even though in my experience it's an OK service, it is limited to a couple of hours, so something to keep in mind. While I waited I avoided going near any food outlets as their pricing is probably three or four times what you’d pay elsewhere. It’s true that there’s a food court in the building, but that is landside, and not available in International Departures, where you can expect to pay four times the street price for a bottle of water, and four times the street price for a typical Thai treat, mango with sticky rice. Outlets are often crowded and the staff rude: I don't see the value. I used a pay lounge (I bought entry through a third party before I arrived in BKK) which offered free wifi for the time I was there, comfortable seating, a wide range of hot and cold foods from a buffet selection, drinks (water, fruit juices, beer and wine) — and importantly, shower facilities. it cost about B1,000 but compared to the cost of buying these products and services ‘unbundled’ elsewhere in Departures, it was good value. Closer to departure time, the walk from the lounge to my departure gate meant walking from one side of the terminal (F) to the other (A), taking more than 20 minutes. There’s very little in the way of moving walkways when you move across the terminal, so until you get to the departure area there’s little choice but to keep walking (much easier if you only have the lightest cabin baggage with you). Maybe the airport wants people to embark on a buying expedition through the shops on either side, but in my opinion there are better bargains to be had elsewhere. Flights to Australia have an additional security check before you are allowed in the departure lounge. The staff always check for liquids, so my advice is to drink any bottled water before you arrive and if you have bought liquor at duty free, ask the sales staff about picking it up after departure gate security. The departure lounge itself had adequate seating for a heavily booked A350, and there were toilets. Overall, the airport functions OK but Singapore is a much better transit airport.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"airport is pretty worn down"

(Czech Republic)

Not Verified | Nightmare! Transiting through, spent 1 hour getting through the passport control to get in, another hour to get out. Very unpleasant staff. And that all just because of the connection to be made and the stupid decision to close all the smoking areas, they are all empty, the airport itself is pretty worn down, and they are still empty! Never again!
Date VisitJuly 2019

"appalled by this vile woman"

Trip Verified | My sister and I arrived at Bangkok airport on Thursday 25th July around 9:30pm. We were exhausted from 14 hours of flying and it was our first time in Thailand. We met the woman at passport control and I have to say that she is probably the rudest, nastiest and angriest people I have ever met in my entire life. She screamed at us, told us to go away on several occasions and physically moved us to one side. This was because we wrote down the address of our hostel incorrectly - she motioned to the woman next to us that we were stupid (she waved her hand across her forehead and rolled her eyes several times). We tried to explain that this was our first visit to Bangkok and that addresses are written differently in the UK and she told us to just shutup and go away. After shouting at us to go away, she got up and physically moved us. We were scared and anxious - thousands of people around us in a city we have never been to before. She then threatened my little sister into keeping her passport when she had done absolutely nothing wrong, she tried to ask the woman what she needed to do to get through passport control. When she finally stamped our passports after around 15 minutes of this, she looked at me and shook her head. She did not only treat us like this - many others were being screamed out and moved by her. We were appalled by this vile woman and it wasn’t not a nice start to our visit into Bangkok.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"There were no smoking rooms"

Not Verified | After having had a long flight I was expecting to be able to have a cigarette at Suvarnambhumi aaiport before taking my onward flight to Tokyo. There were no smoking rooms and the staff were really rude when I asked them if there is any facility for smoking passengers. Suvarnabhumi airport has declared war against the smoking passengers but do not cringe from receiving payment from the same passengers. Shame on Suvarnabhumi airport for being so biased against the smokers. Shame! You take away our Human Rights to smoke.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"Extremely rude security staff"

Trip Verified | 1) Poorly managed lines for security 2) Extremely rude security staff. Threw items into the belt. I had my shoes thrown. Happened after Door 3 at 10.00hrs. One of the lady airport staff had a sulking face as if it was a chore for her to work on a Sunday morning. 3) Took more than hour to reach the customs counter. Arrived airport at 09.30hrs but cleared my passport only at 10.34hrs 4) Not a positive travellers experience. Carpet was dirty, toilet was dirty.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"most ridiculous airport and airport staff"

Trip Verified | The most ridiculous airport and airport staff. I had to do their job for them because they were not able to search up my passport details on the computer to check my esta waiver was valid. At first I told them to check it on the system and they told me that they couldn’t. 1 hour later while I was waiting for them to do magic I showed them on my phone my esta waiver approval and then they did their job right and searched my passport details on the esta waiver website. The stress that the staff put me through was ridiculous. Either do your job correctly and call someone to do it for you if you have no clue.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"passport control is very disappointing"

Trip Verified | At Suvarnabhumi Airport the airline staff at check-in and security staff are good. The problem comes at the departure administration. On that day, only 1 departure admin hall was open. (Hall 3) I took the departure escalator at about 1.45pm and cleared passport control at 3.05pm (a total of 1 hour 20 mins !) There is a security clearance queue which took about 15 to 20 mins, in general, it is reasonable time as security is important. The passport control is however very disappointing, it was a 1 hour queue with the following observations while waiting in line. Elderly and groups with very young children/infants are in the queue. In all other airports I visited, the elderly and groups with young children will be helped and moved to a separate queue for their convenience. It is frustrating to see old people having to stand in line for over 1 hour and parents struggling to keep their children in line. This is extremely poor service, the passport check officer in front of the escalator should have advised these people to use the priority lane. Only 4 out of 8 counters are open on the section I am in. I would assume it is probably the same in other sections. There are a lot of extra processing (photo taking?) at the passport control. There is no staff managing the queuing, so it is really messy with people criss-crossing queues. Any staff that were there are not really interested in helping passengers, if any passenger approach them, they will be "served" rudely. Despite arriving at the airport almost 3 hours before my flight, I actually had hardly any time in the transit area. I can only grab a quick bite and go to the gate. There is no time for shopping or any of that. I am sure a lot of other passengers who arrived 2 hours may even have trouble getting to the gate on time. Hopefully, the authorities can receive this review and other similar ones critically and make necessary improvements.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"Immigration lines ridiculously long"

Trip Verified | Main international airport of Bangkok that is stretched way beyond its capacity. Immigration lines are ridiculously long and can average around 45 minutes to an hour just to get your passports stamped. They should really look to ensure all counters are staffed during peak periods.
Date VisitJune 2019

"Never seen such a poor design"

Trip Verified | My departure was at Gate 5. This gate is in an awkward direction than the other gates and required lots of walking. Washrooms are situated at G1 whereas the other one is at G5 lower floor. They denied its use due to security reasons as boarding was not started. On inquiry, they told us to go back to G1 for use of toilet. I had to walk 10 minutes to and 10 minutes for the toilet. Never seen such a poor design of an airport, anywhere.
Date VisitJune 2019