Baltimore Washington Airport

Baltimore Washington Airport customer review

Extremely long wait for baggage is unacceptable. This has been an issue for at least 5 years and BWI has done nothing to remedy this.
Terminal Cleanliness N/A
Airport Shopping N/A

Baltimore Washington Airport customer review

Possibly the worst airport I've flown into. Flying in I already had a car reserved but it took over an hour to get into a car and out of the airport. First you go to the car rental counter in the terminal and wait to get the contract set up. The car rentals are managed from a different building and it took 20 minutes for a bus to show up to take us from the terminal to the rental facility. When the bus arrived it was standing room only. On arrival at the car rental facility it's a fairly long walk from there to the individual pick up locations though the parking garage. No walkways just stripes to walk between. Then you wait again for a rental attendant to look over your contract and point you in the direction of the type of car you've reserved. After that debacle I determined to allow myself an extra hour to return the car and be on time for my flight. Return was somewhat better although the stop designated for my airline turned out to be incorrect because of construction. Returning the car only took half an hour from driving into the garage to arriving at the terminal. That meant I had plenty of time to make my flight so I set up my computer for the "free" WiFi. For free you're required to sign in again every 15 minutes. You can upgrade your service for $5 for an hour or $8 for the day. But you probably won't need more than an hour because you won't have found a place to plug in your computer or other rechargeable internet ready device. I ended up sitting on the floor next to the luggage carts because there was an outlet there. There was one other outlet I saw on the concourse but two people were already plugged in there and that was the limit. Before 9/11 tightened security and the major computer age I used to fly in and out of BWI fairly often. It was an attractive airport and close to home. Since then I've mostly used one of the two DC airports but I got a really great deal on a flight to BWI. I don't know whether in the future I'll consider any deal good enough to get me back into this airport.

Baltimore Washington Airport customer review

We flew from BWI to JFK. Check in went smoothly and quickly. The security line was long but moved quickly. The airport is clean and bright (especially when compared to JFK) and had decent food choices. The restrooms were clean for public facilities at an airport. Luggage pickup was pretty fast on our return. BWI is my choice of airports when flying into the DC/Baltimore area.

Baltimore Washington Airport customer review

The time to get bags at BWI is unacceptable. Usually the slowest of all airports I use. It took an hour to get bags from a flight recently.

Baltimore Washington Airport customer review

As one of Southwest's major connection hubs I cannot believe BWI would shut down one of their runways "under construction?" and due to their ATC trying ineptly to direct air traffic caused thousands of people to miss connections! I lost a vacation day parking fees and a day and night with my 4 grandchildren in St. Louis today 10/25! What a mess and intentional? Why they couldn't schedule construction from 11pm to 6am and avoid the major air traffic I cannot imagine. I am now re-booked through Midway! Such a shame because I usually try to schedule through this airport.

Baltimore Washington Airport customer review

August 8th arrival and August 10th departure both with SWA. Like your previous commentator the BWI experience is awful and it makes no difference if its arrivals or departures bags take for ever to appear when arriving and then the little matter of the so called 8 minute ride to the rental car terminal. It is a shame because airside the terminal is one of the better USA airports in terms of facilities available but then again some of the employees no most of them are clearly not a very happy contented bunch so beware and don't ask them for anything. Overall this is not a traveller customer friendly airport.

Baltimore Washington Airport customer review

I travel weekly for work. BWI is in my opinion one of the worst airports in the country. I try to always avoid but many times the fares are just right compared to other DC area airports. Car rental buses are few and far between then you have a not so quick journey out to the rental car facility. Returning is even worse - why could they have not put a train system or built a road where the shuttles could easily go between the rental car facility and the terminal - just bad design. Then security at least at Concourse D is always packed and slow - they don't appear to know how to handle crowds. Again just my opinion - keep in mind that I do like the Atlanta airport.

Baltimore Washington Airport customer review

On this trip we only arrived at the airport. Getting to baggage claim claiming our bags and getting a shuttle bus to the rather distant consolidated rental car facility was quick and easy. It's nice to have all rental car companies together so one can easily compared availability and prices though on the particular night we were there selection was very very limited.

Baltimore Washington Airport customer review

Very variable experience depending on airline and time. Long lines at Southwest early but clears quickly as they are well organized. Horrible long lines at D security mid-morning. Delta check-in hopeless. Very limited food options landside but more choice airside. Excellent short-term parking situation though expensive. Beautiful International terminal with virtually no flights.

Baltimore Washington Airport customer review

BWI has been updated/refurbished but it seems to have suffered a decline in passenger traffic as have other airports. The one decent restaurant outside security that I remember is being made into a Subway sandwich restaurant. The two gift shops I found (Hudson News) were small and curiously did not sell TSA luggage locks (I seem to recall seeing these locks over at one of the area's other airports Washington National). Also did not sell luggage (the only place I found that sold luggage was the American Airlines counter to which I was directed by Delta Airlines; they sold only large bags none suitable for carry-on). Security line was not long and moved quickly. In Concourse C the choice for dining included an overcrowded "pub" a somewhat pricey small restaurant towards the entrance and something fas food-related.