Austin Airport

"escalators and elevators were turned off"

Not Verified | Upon returning my car rental on the 3rd floor of the rental garage, all escalators and elevators were turned off. Since the car was returned there was no way to go down without walking the entire length of the escalator with luggage. Other passengers that were in wheel chairs had children and the elderly could not get down. There were no attendants to assist anyone. This was at 5:30am on a Monday. These should be on 24 hours a day since you can return your car anytime.
Date VisitApril 2021

"no social distancing or hand sanitizers around"

Not Verified | There was no social distancing or hand sanitizers around, people were just crammed in lines, no one was even worried about it. Every other airport took it seriously and had hand sanitizers everywhere. Austin didn’t seem to take it seriously at all.
Date VisitOctober 2020

"seems to continue its decline year after year"

Not Verified | Austin airport seems to continue its decline year after year. Moving taxis and rideshares to an inconvenient spot that is poorly marked (albeit improved from a few months ago) is compounded by poor shuttle service for those traveling with luggage. The interior is beautiful and I love that they’re bringing in more local businesses, however this could never mask the abysmal experience in trying to leave the airport. The “shuttles” to the taxi stand don’t even assist with luggage anymore. It is such a hassle getting out of this airport I would avoid it at all costs if I didn’t have to go for work.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"a surprisingly disappointing airport"

Trip Verified | Simply put, Austin Bergstrom is a surprisingly disappointing airport. Before I venture into the negatives, I do want to highlight the positives of the airport: The terminal opened in 1999, and has largely, recently been renovated. The dining options in the terminal are largely from very local, and locally-themed, restaurants, something unique to airport terminals around the world (as opposed to a local restaurant being located amongst a terminal full of chains). The airport's clean, modern and fairly spacious even given its small size. The seating areas feel more like very nice doctor's offices than the traditional airport seating arrangements. Parking is close to the terminal, even economy parking, and it's reasonably priced. Access off Highway 71 is easy, whether coming from Austin and I-35 to the west or Bastrop and Houston to the southeast. The airport doesn't feel particularly crowded, even during peak passenger traffic hours. And yet, I can't bring myself to give this airport any more than a 4/10 overall rating. I don't particularly enjoy flying out of here. For one, the signs directing drivers to parking areas, arrivals, departures, and the correct lanes for regular vehicles and buses/livery are poorly marked, in my opinion. Even chaotic airports like LAX and O'Hare have better signage for such, strangely. Secondly, once you're within the airport, signage to direct people to check-in areas, rideshare and taxi pickup areas, and security isn't exactly the clearest, not the worst I've seen, but enough to make a small airport relatively confusing. Thirdly, once you're past security, it's surprising to find that the restaurants that serve tacos, meals, margaritas, beers - the things you'd expect to find in an airport in Austin and Texas are slowing down or even closed after 8.00pm. Fourthly, the personnel that work here are very hit and miss, but generally unfriendly. For example, the ticketing agent for Spirit Airlines (not exactly the budget airline with the best reputation) was very pleasant and courteous. The TSA agent who checked my driver's license, a super friendly and chatty guy. But, the shuttle bus drivers between economy parking and the terminal were little more than manner-devoid rubes. The actual x-ray screening agents for TSA were some of the biggest smart-asses (and not the fun kind, but the unpleasant kind) that I've ever met in my life, period. The restaurant servers and bartenders don't give customers eye contact while providing service, and can often be found tapping their feet while interacting with customers and not interacting with one another at all while working. That's the part that leaves me cold; for all the talk of Texas hospitality, it is sparse in this airport. In summary, there are much worse airports in the USA, but there are also much better airports in the USA and abroad. Only fly into Austin if you must!
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"the best experience we’ve ever had entering the USA"

Trip Verified | This was the best experience we’ve ever had entering the USA. We were literally the first off our plane through an extremely quiet immigration area and greeted by the most pleasant Customs Officer ever. He was so charming and full of local advice and obviously very proud of his city. He even searched for events for us to go to and could not have been more helpful. It is a quieter airport compared to somewhere like Miami so maybe they are more laid back but the difference it made to the start of our holiday was amazing. Well done Austin.

"Very unprofessional"

Not Verified | None of the vendors take cash. None of the food service people understand that folks have flights to catch. Slow as molasses like they could not care less with 5 others in the back. Very unprofessional. Where is the Starbucks? I’ve tried all the coffee places with the many trips I have taken and none come close. I just want a large, (big) iced coffee when I get off the plane like any other airport. Of the many airports I travel through, Austin gets the worst rating.

"rude and inefficient"

Not Verified | Austin International Airport fail. Waited 30 minutes to open the airplane doors. 10 electronic passport control machines for nearly 500 passengers. 8 work. Had to stand in line to recheck our bags to our final destination behind all the people that were originating in Austin (we had just flown 11 hrs in from Lisbon.) Other airports do a simple recheck right after customs. TSA very rude and inefficient. I’ve never had to separate carryon snacks for the X-ray at any other airport. Of course our bags didn’t make it and the airline won’t deliver them since the recheck made them categorized as late. Alaska personnel were fantastic but I will avoid Austin at all costs from now on.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"very hard to see in the dark"

Not Verified | The parking garage also houses the rental car companies. The garage is under construction and the signage for Rental Car Return is so dusty it is very hard to see in the dark (5.45 am on May 19, 2018). I missed it twice and had to ask airport security where it was. It took 30 minutes to find it, causing me to miss my flight. (Also, on entering the terminal there is no signage showing which airlines are to the left and to the right.) Fortunately my airline re-booked me on the afternoon flight at no extra charge. The chances are very low that I will never use this airport again.
Date VisitMay 2018

"Hard to find where you need to go"

(Ecuador)

Not Verified | Shuttles to and from parking areas and south terminal involve a long wait in the heat and a rather long ride. Shuttle drivers are courteous. Hard to find where you need to go because directions are not clearly posted. All in all rather inconvenient. Maybe it will be better when construction is complete.
Date VisitMay 2018

"surprised how filthy it was"

Not Verified | I have traveled all over the world and have used some digusting mens rooms. Today, I felt like I entered a 3rd world men's room this morning. Had to clean my own toilet seat. My wife used the ladies room the same time. She was surprised how filthy it was. Someone should lose their job.
Date VisitOctober 2017