Auckland Airport

Auckland Airport customer review

Upon traveling in and out of Auckland International airport recently we found the following disasters: Toilets were filthy flushing systems not working some mens toilets closed off. Food preferences at 7.00 am were poor with no cooked breakfasts available at all only cold sandwiches or muffins and coffee although the bar was open for alcoholic drinks! Electronic passport processing was not working properly with some machines sign posted as 'Not Working' No electronic processing at all through customs clearance upon departure. Poor assistance from airport staff in respect of electronic passport issues. Staff being too few and difficult to identify and mostly talking one another referring me to other machines (I tried 4 unsuccessfully) or to other staff members. A total lack of warmth from mostly foreign staff with poor English language or Kiwi culture knowledge. I felt like a foreigner in my home town. Lastly I resented being hindered by foreign Duty Free shopping staff as I moved through to Customs. Overall a poor International airport experience and a poor reflection of the real New Zealand culture.

Auckland Airport customer review

Very modern clean and efficient airport. The sounds and the setting are a lovely way to enter NZ. A far cry from the sterile dilapidated interiors we are used to in the UK. Passing through security was a breeze and the staff very helpful and friendly.

(New Zealand)

Airport is generally good staff are friendly and for a small airport the facilities are excellent. Only gripe is the queue at immigration on the way in - one person at the desk and a 40 minute wait really isn't good enough.

Auckland Airport customer review

Arrived from SYD. Everything was fine until the Immigration line. The lines were amazingly long and it appears there were only 3 officers working. After immigration / customs was able to acquire the rental car and out of the parking lot within 20 minutes.

(New Zealand)

What an extraordinary range of reviews for this airport and I guess it reflects different times / dates and expectations. I use it fairly regularly - admittedly mostly going to and from Aus and have found it very good (far superior to Sydney). I agree with the comments about the pushy Duty Free salesman but overall I always find going in and out either alone or with my infant son very easy. On a recent arrival I mentioned the pushchair had been on the beach and in the forest in North Queensland and they happily took it away and cleaned the wheels thoroughly - great service! Enough food options - how many do you need? And with one exception I have found all customs immigration staff very helpful and friendly.

Auckland Airport customer review

The airport is now contemporary and modern with excellent shopping. Staff are friendly but obtrusive and most surprisingly many don't know what they are talking about. So double check. I was assured a window seat on TG but was seated smack bang in the middle. The girl at the curio shop asked how I sneaked through with a duty free bag. Strange. Small and cosy airport that mostly serves the Pacific islands. It would qualify as a small section of LAX. Like in the US they don't stamp your passport on your way out. Upside: If you are flying in from the west or north at day time get your camera ready for some great sights as you approach the Island. The drive to the city on a sunny winter day has gorgeous views. Rolling hills crisp cool air bright sunny skies. Its breath taking. As for Auckland Airport: its pretty mediocre. Its getting into and out of the airport by air or land that's so scenic.

Auckland Airport customer review

In regard to the previous comment if you're from a foreign country you should expect to be questioned on arrival. In regards to finding your gate number I admit I've always found it a bit odd at Auckland that check in sometimes don't know it but the information is easily available on the many information boards before and after you pass through security. Auckland is a good airport and is a breeze to use polite helpful staff and a large departure hall plentiful food outlets and you don't have to walk miles to get to your gate. You also don't get ambushed by staff trying to sell you things as you do at many American airports as you walk through duty free to reach your gate. The arrivals hall is attached to departures so if you need to transfer its a 2 minute walk. Buses / taxis etc are within easy reach and there is a 24 hour airport bus service to the centre of Auckland for 16 NZD. If you want an airport with poor transfer links try Sydney! Auckland has got it right be it the staff or the facilitates.

Auckland Airport customer review

I didn't like this airport one bit! They questioned me when I got there. On leaving the airport they don't even give you a Gate #. This is unacceptable in my home airport LAX because its extremely busy and they could never waste time like they do in Auckland. This place is not satisfactory at all! This was as bad as Canada (YVR). Yet for some reason Heathrow is much better.

(Malaysia)

Arrival and departure were fast pleasant and welcoming airport staff customs and immigration easy access to the city and to the domestic terminal. Nothing to complain about.

Auckland Airport customer review

Arriving at Auckland was a breeze. Aircraft door to car park in 25 minutes. Staff were helpful and welcoming the Immigration officer spotted that my birthday was in a few days time and wished me a happy birthday. MAF officer couldn't have been more helpful in addressing a quarantine query. I realise that I could have been behind several hundred passengers who had just touched down before my flight and indeed I have been in that queue! However I have always found that the staff who work at the airport seem to go out of their way to say "Welcome to New Zealand we are glad you have come to visit us." Many other international airports could learn a lot from the officials at AKL.