Atlanta Hartsfield Airport

"This airport is badly designed"

Trip Verified | This is probably the worst airport I have been through. And I once worked at JFK with its many terminals. I had to transit through this airport from Costa Rica to catch a domestic flight to JFK NYC. There are no restrooms in the immediate area. The plane I came off had one aisle. And the flight attendants spent a good deal of time using the aisle to serve snacks. So it's not always convenient to use the restroom on the aircraft. Common sense you would think they would place restrooms near where the gate is where we got off the plane. Then it's not like you can just walk to the CBP area. We had to stand there for as much as 15 minutes and more at least twice before being allowed to proceed to the long line to present our passports. Walking from the gate to the CBP seems like 1/4 of a mile. There were hundreds of people on the line. There is a restroom in that area but with such a long line and a connecting flight less than two hours of my arrival I did not want to chance using it then getting on line. The saving grace was that the customs officer did not take long with my passport. He basically looked at my photo, asked me to remove my mask then asked me if I am who it says I am. Then I was on my way. It took over one hour to exit the CBP line. Someone took my luggage and put it on the belt to be sent to my JFK NYC flight. As soon as we walked out of that area we all had to go through security as if we had just walked off the street. I overheard one of the TSA agents telling someone that until you reach age 75 you have to remove your shoes. Well around where I live I see people who could barely get on the bus without the driver lowering the stairs. And many of these people are not even 50 years old. After going through security I checked the board but could not find my flight listed. I asked a lady at information desk. She told me I had to take the shuttle train on the right hand side one stop to area E. And go to E11. I went to E11. No such flight. I went to the Delta counter I saw when I came to area E. The lady told me I had to go to E 31 and the flight is about to leave so I had to hurry. I was the last person to get on the plane when I heard them say they were about to close the door. A gate agent came with me. She said there was no more room for my carry-on so I had to check it but not before I removed my laptop and camera which most likely would be stolen. My advice is avoid this airport if you're connecting from an international flight. Connecting domestic to international was not an issue when I was leaving. Unless you got four hours between international arrival and your departure connection don't risk it. And putting a restroom all the way in the customs area serves no purpose because most people need to use the restroom as soon as they exit the plane. This airport is badly designed. When I was leaving for Costa Rica I arrived after 8 am on a weekday morning and none of the restaurants were open. Not even a place to serve coffee. It's as if the airport was designed for the convenience of airport staff and not its passengers!

"no places to eat"

Trip Verified | Flight was delayed an 1-1/2 hrs. That wasn’t too bad of an issue. The issue was no places to eat. The few places that were open had line 30-40 people deep. At 10.40 am there was a place that made breakfast wraps but they weren’t open until 11.00 am?? But yet there was a pizza place that was open. Makes no sense. Literally in the concourse we were in there were only 4 out of 15 restaurants open and ready to serve at 10:40. The food service options are not worth a hoot.

"Bathrooms were awful!"

(Uganda)

Not Verified | Nasty airport. Everything closed. Arrived in at 1 am and nothing open and even vending machines empty. Bathrooms were awful! Waiting areas were nasty. No places to eat open but a few and 50 deep in line. Worse airport ever! Workers for Delta were nice but told us wrong information .
Date VisitJuly 2021

"I don't think it could be any worse"

Trip Verified | I don't think it could be any worse. Restrooms were disgusting (every stall was unflushed/dirty), 1/3 of the restaurants/snack providers closed, long lines to get into the ones that are open, 10 deep line to check out at a magazine/candy store, wifi doesn't work at all, NONE of the plugs at the seats work, about 1/2 of the ones on the walls work and the tram to get to/from the main area was so crowded you couldn't breathe. I got off ASAP and walked from C to baggage. I fly regularly for work. This is the worst I have experienced. It has not always been this bad.
Date VisitJune 2021

"never fly out of this airport again"

Not Verified | My husband and I are both senior citizens, My husband is significantly disabled and was in a wheel chair, unable to stand without help. We have only flown about 2 times in the last 10 years. The TSA agents just kept yelling at us. I asked them what to do and they just kept screaming the same things over and over, then stated "its been this way for 90 years, whats wrong with you" I was not familiar with removing my ipad from the case, they just stood there and screamed. They wouldnt let anyone help my husband stand up they just kept screaming at us. I have never been treated so badly, the TSA agents were like a wild band of gangsters. I will never fly out of this airport again.
Date VisitJune 2021

"Atlanta Airport is a mess"

Trip Verified | There are signs everywhere “we are open”. Three weeks ago there were NO restaurants OIE. On terminal F on departure. On return today there were no restaurants except Burger King open in the terminal so I did t have anything to eat waiting on shuttle to Athens z, Ga. also, I arrived in International. Immigration and customs took 2 minutes. Luggage more Than 45. Waiting for the shuttle to the domestic terminal made me miss shuttle to Athens. And there were 45 people waiting for about 20 seats. I have no idea what the others did. They were told a shuttle would come again in a half hour. The Atlanta Airport is a mess. All international airports I went through on my travel were operational and efficient. Atlanta airport sucks. Maybe it should be taken over by the state. Avoid it if you can.

"No one wants to help"

Not Verified | Worst airport on the planet. Terrible to try to figure out where you are going. No one wants to help. Not ready for the volume. Bad planning, bad staff. Restaurants closed while people stand in line for hours. Tell the mayor of ATL to call Fl if she has any questions about how to reopen.
Date VisitJune 2021

"not at all equipped to handle volume"

Not Verified | Airport not at all equipped to handle volume. Absurd lines at all [open] restaurants, not enough seating at terminals, overall a total failure. Embarrassing.
Date VisitJune 2021

"food places everywhere and every single one is closed"

Not Verified | This airport is a joke. There are food places everywhere and every single one is closed. Get your act together! All of your restaurants close between 5 and 6pm. Do you people not eat dinner here?
Date VisitJune 2021

"there are 8 restaurants in the food court and only 1 is open"

Trip Verified | I travel through this airport a minimum of 4-times a month. On my return trips I typically arrive around 6.30 to 6.45 pm. Almost all restaurants are closed. It's the strangest thing. This is not an occasional situation. It's every evening visit. Who is managing this airport? Why is this the case? After talking to employees at the information center, I've found out the restaurants close at 4:00 +/-. Now there's a couple of the larger restaurants open like TGI Fridays open, but most people w/ connectors don't have that much time. Currently, I'm in E terminal and there are 8 restaurants in the food court and only 1 is open [McDonald's]. Now there like a 100 people in line so that's not an option. All but (2) of the he convenience stores are closed and those have huge lines. The restaurant services should be for the peoples convenience and not the restaurant's convenience. Why hasn't the management observed this and made adjustments? I don't think they should stay open all night, but this is a little ridiculous. I'm sure they will blame this on COVID, but this has been going on long before COVID (I've been traveling through here for years). My guess it has a little to do with the controlling power of the political power of the mayor and her cronies.
Date VisitMay 2021