Athens Airport

"Clean, efficient terminal"

Not Verified | Arrived at ATH after comfortable flight on Aegean from the monstrosity of Istanbul. Bused to terminal due to air bridge not being available due to late aircraft occupying stand. Not an issue as buses arrived quickly and we were in the terminal in no time. Clean, efficient terminal, Covid procedures observed. Within 10 minutes, luggage was on belt and undamaged. Good experience.
Date VisitNovember 2021

"without any passenger moving walkways"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Arriving from Larnaca on a delayed Aegean airlines flight (10/11/21) which parked away from passenger jet steps. No distances or anything, a simple check of our EU vaccination certificate and in you go into probably the only airport without any passenger moving walkways, walk a kilometer to collect your luggage. Arriving in Greece one might expect to listen to lovely Greek music, instead of heavy disco and screams.
Date VisitNovember 2021

"Is Athens a war zone now?"

(Portugal)

Not Verified | Aegean Airlines told me that a covid test was necessary to enter Greece, and that it should be presented on arrival. I was tested at home, and brought the negative result with me. After landing, passengers had to queue up and show their results to the military police! I showed my (negative) result to the soldier, who very aggressively told me to test again (he couldn’t understand English) in these covid testing stands they have. I tried to explain that I was already tested but he interrupted me and said “go!” Very aggressively. Is Athens a war zone now? Why do they have special police serving customers at a commercial airport?
Date VisitOctober 2021

"It definitely shows wear and tear"

Trip Verified | A moderately sized airport serving the capital of Greece. It's been around for a while so it's not a very modern one. It definitely shows wear and tear. Security checks are fast and efficient tho. Duty-free shopping is readily available, food courts less. Transportation to the city is done by metro or bus, in both cases it takes at least one hour. Taxi cost about 45 euro. The Lufthansa lounge I visited was small but offered delicious Greek mezze.
Date VisitOctober 2021

"all Covid checks carried out efficiently"

Not Verified | Landed on time after comfortable Aegean Airlines flight, we deplaned quickly and were in the Arrivals Hall in minutes. Cleared Immigration without issue, all Covid checks carried out efficiently, bags were already coming through on belt as we entered Baggage Reclaim. Very easy to navigate. Good airport.
Date VisitAugust 2021

"The worst airport I was in"

(Poland)

Not Verified | The worst airport I was in. We couldn't take with us peanut butter and pesto, but we could go in with yogurt and hummus, when we asked 'why?' the answer was 'because peanut butter is a cream and pesto has an oil' and when we sad that hummus has oil also and we have yogurt which is a cream, the guard didn't know what to say.

"Terrible indications"

Trip Verified | Absolutely zero arrangement for connection flights. My Aegean flight came 30 mins late and I had only a 45 minute connection window to catch my flight to Thessaloniki with Olympic Air. No one made sure they waited for us, the boarding gate was across the airport so I was running for 15 mins. Had all my papers, covid pass and PFL checked before departure yet they check passport and another security check in control despite not leaving the airport. Terrible indications. At the end my hand luggage was taken at the plane baggage section because there was no space upstairs. Think about connection flights! Also shame Aegean and Olympic Air.
Date VisitSeptember 2021

"Almost no vegan food option"

Trip Verified | Almost no vegan food option. I found 2 sandwiches but they didn’t look great. So could only have a drink and something sweet, but not a sandwich or other meal
Date VisitSeptember 2021

"There is very little seating"

Trip Verified | This airport has some pleasant, generous features (a museum, free and unlimited wifi) but the basics are not well managed. There is very little seating. This matters when I have been waiting 45 minutes in a check-in queue and expect to wait as long again before I get to the front (although this may be the fault of my airline, which has not allowed online check-in for this flight). Navigation is needlessly difficult because (astonishingly) the maps of the airport at information points lack a ‘you are here’ indication. If I knew the airport well enough to know where I was on the map, I wouldn’t need the map! There are very few restaurants. All were full, with long queues. Combined with the massive shortage of seating, this meant lots of passengers sitting on the floor eating take-away food from their laps. It just doesn’t have to be this way in a country where tourism is so important. All in all, my time at Athens Airport was a tedious, needlessly uncomfortable and unpleasant end to a wonderful holiday in Greece. The ‘hospitality’ provided by the airport was a major contrast with the wonderful service and help we received from every other Greek person on our holiday.
Date VisitAugust 2021

"walk a km to the exit"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | The airline chose to use the boiling hot bus at temps of 37+C. Passengers were pushed like sardines in the bus. In the miserably empty airport only a brief check of EU vaccination certificate, no body temp screening, and then you have to walk a km to the exit, this airport being without any passenger moving walkways. No, despite its cleanliness, this is not my favourable aiport..
Date VisitJuly 2021