Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

"seating areas are disgraceful"

Trip Verified | Considering AMS might be renovating itself, passenger volume far exceeds the capacity everywhere. Signs are confusing. Staff likely get gold medal for being rude, display of apathy, and gross ignorance are only matched at Brisbane, AU. There is no doubt it is a filthy airport, restrooms, lounges, floors, seating areas are disgraceful. Business class lounges are over crowded and akin to cow barns with feeding frenzies.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"security surpassed themselves"

Trip Verified | We landed at D27 at 8.45 pm. The walk to passport control is usually very long but Schipol security surpassed themselves this time by closing the nearest passport control and forcing us to use the one at the other side of the airport. I'm fairly fit so walked/ran and also using the airport walkways took me 17 minutes. It was about a mile. This is unbelievable and unacceptable. For less able passengers it must have taken them about 30 to 45 minutes. Not professional at all.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"a frustrating experience"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam Schiphol Security becomes worse and worse. The now installed a new security system and promotes is - no joke - as 'experience lab. The truth is: it is worse then before, takes more time and does not work. I was checked, and from my pastic bag the took a small bottle with approx. 10 ml of after shave gel, due to tha fact that it was a bottle to big (125 ml). I argued this because it was clearly visible that there was only a few drops left. Strange enough they did not find another bottle I forgot it was in my carry on bag and did not presented in the plastic bag since it was in my suitcase since my last trip. So we are speaking here of a very time consuming new safety system, which costs more and fails when it comes to safety. This togerther with inefficient terminal outline, mess of sinage (too much), dirty toilets, extraordinary prices of food and beverage (please Schiphol Management have a look at five star MUC as a reference!) makes AMS a frustrating experience
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"an hour to complete the process"

Not Verified | Huge queues at immigration took ages to get through. Eventually they opened the automatic immigration gates to speed things up. Almost an hour to complete the process from start to finish. It's a good job I was there early or I would have missed the flight. Once airside it's quite pleasant with lots of shops and restaurants to choose from.

"Unnecessarily rude"

Trip Verified | Very rude security staff. I spent a 4-hr layover at Shiphol coming from Seoul and going to Munich. We arrived at 4am so there were not many passengers when arriving at the transfer security check. Yet the two employees handling the line were unbelievably rude: not to me personally, but to other passengers and one should say in general. One was greeted by staccato shouting. Both employees shouted at two passengers who weren't in the correct lane (the situation was unclear). Instead of helping, they yelled at them: What are you doing here? Why are you here? Go in the other line! (no assistance to finding their path but further shouting). One of the employees kept on yelling: I told you, no passports here. Having just returned from largely polite Korea, I was embarrassed that this might have been the first impression of Europe for some travelers. Unnecessarily rude.

"A pleasant trip ruined"

Not Verified | Organization was good. Long line at check in, but relatively short security lines. At the trays the man working the security point was beyond rude. I put my first tray through, then he asked are you English. I said yes I speak English. Then he wouldnt let my trays go on the belt, and kept putting others first, despite that I was there first and my wallet etc had gone through. Then I tried putting my luggage through and he pushed it back and said they were here first. I politely said, no I was actually first. And he told me if I say another thing he wouldnt let my luggage or things go through, and he would hold them. All in front of my 10 year old son. Way to go, AMS. A pleasant trip ruined.

"very rude employee"

Trip Verified | We spoke to a very rude employee. The kind of person who makes a perfectly wonderful day take a massive nose dive into the depths of hell. He was at the help desk for adding personal information to your boarding pass in the E gates, turned out I needed to go to a different help desk. The straw that broke the camels back, when I asked “where is it?” He responded with “I just told you.” But in that way and tone that simply makes you worry that they must have nobody that cares about them in life and choose to take it out on customers at the airport. It’s a shame, I’ve been through this airport 4 times and it was all wonderful, until I encountered this beast. Completely overshadowing the previous positive experiences. Do the airport a favor and train this man on how to not be horrible. Thank you.

"It's a hit or miss"

Not Verified | It's a hit or miss. Arrival has been a breeze, always, But departure is another story. Never had any issues on arrival mostly early morning flights, i.e. between 7 and 8 AM. Passport control took around 5 minutes, just a few people in que. But a few time on departure had to endure 2 - 3 hour waits in an absurdly long and slow moving line for the security bag check. Finally at got their and there were no clear instructions on what to take out of the backpack and what to leave inside. I took out the laptop and put it outside and was immediately told you dont have to do that. Then there was a bunch of cables and cords for my laptop, camera, camcorder etc, I left them inside but after the xray they got confused to what it was and pulled me aside for a secondary, then just emptied out everything after a thorough search they told me to proceed, but I had to clean up the mess myself, with 10 minutes left to catch my flight. I literally had to grab everything in my hands, including my shoes and belt and ran to my gate where I had to plead with the gate agent to let me board, couldn't speak because I was out of breath, and I am sure I was cutting a pretty picture, all sweaty, my shoes dangling from one hand, my belt and cords and cables from the other hand, and my trousers threatening to drop any moment because I wasn't wearing the belt. The gate agent fortunately was a kind soul and allowed me to proceed to the aircraft. This was Air France. And I have had similar incidents, multiple times at Schiphol. Maybe I am just fortunate, or my luck has stretched too far, because I have not as yet seen or met an "aggressive" or "rude" staff member at Schiphol!
Date VisitMarch 2018

"extremely rude and not at all polite"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | I was surprised by the personnel at the security gate and how impolite and not very well trained they were. Three personnel were impatiently telling me at the same time what to do even though there were no passengers at the security gate. Unfortunately I had forgotten a sealed bag with a perfume in my bag and the woman who searched my bag was extremely rude and not at all polite or forthcoming even though I tried my best to be helpful and polite. What a bad experience.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"security staff were very rude"

Not Verified | Overall I find Schiphol very efficient and clean and it's a great airport for transit. Traveling from UK to Asia via Amsterdam is very easy but on the way back there is an additional screening. The staff who managed the queue were super friendly and the process was well organised as usual. The wait is only a few minutes which was bearable. However the actual security staff were very rude this time. Three passengers were allowed to put their luggage onto the security tray but the security staff kept pushing my trays back saying "other passengers first". I have never seen this before as normally you just let the tray onto the belt and collect it on the other side of the security - what the point of waiting?
Date VisitNovember 2018