Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

"half an hour to get through passport check"

Not Verified | Plenty of signage, good shops, and a random check for drugs (this is the Netherlands, after all!). The only quibbles are needing half an hour to get through the Schengen Zone passport check (those with EU passports can do it automatically, in minutes) and the Polderbaan runway we landed on being located halfway to Belgium. This adds quite significantly to transit times.
Date VisitAugust 2023

"This place is chaotic"

Trip Verified | By far the worst traveling experience is arriving, departing or connecting through Schiphol. Two and a half hours to go to passport control, retrieve baggage, recheck bags, go through security (they inspect 70% of the bags) and then passport control again. The airport is gigantic and they make you walk several kilometres to do anything. The signage is confusing and dubious, as the instructions from staff. This place is chaotic. Allow at least 3-4 hours to make it to your gate. I hope I never have to put my feet here again.
Date VisitSeptember 2023

"try to avoid Amsterdam in future"

Trip Verified | This used to be one of my favorite airports. But now it’s a disaster. 2 hours to get through security check and passport control. Passport check machine broke. Lines were chaotic. I will try to avoid Amsterdam in future.

"Pathetic passport control"

Not Verified | Pathetic passport control. It took longer to go through passport control (65mins) than it took to fly here from Manchester (60mins).

"Horrible experience"

Not Verified | Horrible experience. Total unmitigated chaos for immigration. Massive line down entire airport hall and around corner. At least 2 hours. Insufficient staff. Short connection line is only one moving and people from normal queue keep going to that one since it is taking so long and main queue not moving. Absurd! This is worse than Paris for connections
Date VisitSeptember 2023

"no screens with flight details"

(Denmark)

Not Verified | They are very proud of the “one terminal concept”, but it is hard to see why. Long walking distances, no screens with flight details anywhere in arrival, and functional, but imperfect signage. If they have to have two employees standing guiding people, then the signage is no good enough. And so easily solved for transit passengers by putting up screen with flight information. Airport is as clean as expected for a busy airport. But bathrooms are crowded, and often with wait times. Bottle filling stations are not working anywhere, and neither did three of the four self check machines in arrival. No lounge seating near the gates. A few options for eating, but almost everything is near the center. Wifi was good, free and stable. Security personnel was rude but quick. Passport control was super quick with self control machines for EU citizens, but lines for the rest (which after Brexit also includes the British as they have voted to not be EU citizens anymore). But completely fine for EU citizens. This airport is difficult to avoid because it is such a big hub, but bring own water and find a seat in the center (not near the gates), and it will be ok.
Date VisitSeptember 2023

"disappointing for any traveller"

Trip Verified | Apparently third busiest airport in Europe but highly disappointing for any traveller. Most of the staff is unfriendly ask personal questions and view you suspiciously. I was upgraded to business and no preference was provided at the time of boarding. Seemed highly understaffed and unclean. Moreover no empathy or consideration for children or travellers with children. the security staff frisked my 11 month infant and woke him up from sleep and opened his food boxes. Hope the airport administration learns some basics from airports such as Dubai and Singapore which handle much more traffic. Maybe they are too arrogant for that

"customs agent was rude"

Not Verified | The airport, itself, is lovely. It’s clean with lots of shopping, restaurants, and a train station. The customs agent, however, was rude. I don’t speak Dutch so I addressed her in English. She asked me, “Where are you coming to?” I thought well she means either “Where are you going?” OR “Where are you coming from?” I attempted to answer both questions, since I wasn’t sure which she was asking. Although I maintained a polite and friendly demeanour, the young agent just scowled and asked me the same question over again. Finally I said “Paris” as that was my final destination. Her response was another scowl and “You’re in Amsterdam!” I explained I was on a tour and I would be leaving Amsterdam the next day. She stamped my passport and flung it back at me. Very unpleasant young lady and a very negative first impression of Amsterdam. Definitely doesn’t make me want to return.
Date VisitJuly 2023

"extremely rude and clueless"

Not Verified | I find it ridiculous at how inefficient and slow things work here, been to multiple airports and none of them come as frustrating as this. Huge snaking queue forming at the immigrations and they have the gall to open only TWO counters! I cannot imagine how many people missed their flights because of this. Security checks are next level, extremely rude and clueless, I encountered a small bald guy who even tried to tackle me for going the way his colleague asked me to, did not even apologize and acted like a punk after that. Funny, maybe this is what Amsterdam is about after all. Disgraceful.
Date VisitApril 2023

"didn't care about us"

Not Verified | We booked special assistance for my wife who is a UK Blue badge holder. Firstly, although this is not their fault, just for context, we had to walk ages to get to check in desk 17. After check in we went to the assistance desk where there were two girls on duty. For quite a lot of time there were three there. I said we had booked and would like to go through to do some shopping. She said it would be about 20 minutes. Over an hour and a half later with people who had arrived after us going through I said how unhappy I was. She said someone will be here in ten to fifteen minutes. I told her she had said that 90 minutes ago. During this time she said they were busy. Sitting there i didn't see the busy bit, indeed some assistance staff came and went without helping anyone. We also saw one lady sitting down opposite for ten minutes. The girl on the desk was surly and didn't care about us or keep us informed. She and her friends were more concerned about chatting to each other. If at least one of them helped with wheeling the chairs that would have been better Disgusting service by an arrogant girl who lapped up her "power" and didn't do anything to help because were were not told what was happening we couldn't even go for a coffee in case we missed our place. The girls as the desk had theirs Schipol, you lost income by us not going shopping and certainly if people ask about the experience I will tell them. Lets see if they have the courage to respond
Date VisitJuly 2023