Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

"transfer experience is terrible"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Flying from Moscow to Prague via Amsterdam on Jan 20th, layover time 1h 23m. The arriving plane was only a few minutes delayed, however there has been a very long queue at passport control (see photo). If some passengers would not be kind enough to let me skip the queue, I would never make it. I was among the last passengers to board my connecting flight. I am using Schiphol frequently and noticed, that quite often those e-passport gates are off, partly or entirely. And was explained, that this is due to the lack of staff, which sounds bizarre. I wish Schiphol management would start managing the process and making sure that their customers might make their connecting flights without a drama. And if they invest into technology, they should use it. It is also odd if transfer from one terminal to another terminal requires more time than the flight from Amsterdam to Prague. Overall transfer experience is terrible.

"I am not impressed"

Not Verified | Long way to go to be a 4-star airport! Right now, maybe 1 star for AMS. Few services near gates, no transport outside of moving walkways. Noisy! Hard to get away from chatting people. No easy recharging for electronics. Agents misdirect you when you have to rebook or change flights. Check out Minneapolis - St. Paul airport if you want to know what a 4-star airport looks like. I am not impressed. After exiting planes, there is nowhere to set down your bag and get organized to check you have everything.

"did not give me a car"

Not Verified | I have gone to the assistance desk they refuse to give me a car to go to my gate. I have sciatica what’s my disability badge. I also have a sick note from my GP saying what my problem is is, and he did not give me a car to go to my gate.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Never want to use this airport again"

Not Verified | After travelling for 30+ hours and nearly home in London, I missed my flight. There were 2 flights both departing to London Heathrow at 11:40 am. I looked at the screen many times and must have misread or something but it said gate D24. An hour later when it is meant to leave, nothing is happening even though the sign at the gate said London Heathrow, 11.40. No people are moving and so I go online and see Gate D14. Go to gate D14 and they say my flight just left. One announcement could have saved me money and time and frustration. The airport then made an announcement for lost and found. But not for me being a 2 minute walk away from the gate I was meant to be at. Absolutely stupid. You should be more accomodating. Never want to use this airport again.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Definitely the worst international airport"

Trip Verified | Definitely the worst international airport experience I have ever experienced. The walk from gate D26 to passport control and then to the exit was poorly signed and the distance was horrendous. Some of the walk along escalators were also not working. I suffer from a back condition and had I known the distance I had to walk, I would of sought help. From leaving the aircraft to exiting the airport it took me approximately 70 minutes and I only had carry on luggage. The experience left me crippled in pain and for that reason if anybody suffers with any mobility issues then I suggest you contact the airline and seek assistance as the distance from the gate to the exit has got to be at least 1 mile if not longer taking you through all the shops. The security passport scanners at passport control are fairly slow. I won’t be returning to this airport anytime soon.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"put the telephone booth in the airport"

Not Verified | Please, put the telephone booth in the airport areas so that people can talk to their loved ones. I found not a single one, I asked people at the airport where can I make a telephone and no one knew if there was any. I don't have a cellular phone but I can afford some dollars to call my family from the airport.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"whole experience most unpleasant and difficult"

Trip Verified | Circumstances meant our daughter had to travel home with her two little boys aged 2 and 10 months. We the grandparents were booked on the same flight so were willing and able to help. The hardest part is going through security. We went through the barriers with our boarding pass, but our daughter with the buggy and two boys - one in a sling and one in the buggy - was directed to a gate. This meant we were separated as she was directed to the right and we were told to go to the left. We explained that we could help her and wanted to go with her, all that separated us was a waist height bar. The GS4 staff member said we couldn't be together and we didn't understand that both ways lead to the same place. She was very forceful and wouldn't listen to our plea. She stated again that both ways went to the same place. This was not true and meant our daughter had to cope with her babies though security. We had her bag, which we hadn't packed and didn't know the contents! (mainly nappies and toys, but an iPad was in it - of which we were unaware and she would have removed before going though). Her boys were then taken from her, while she was scanned. The two year old was quite worried by this. Everyone else, Easyjet desk and all staff were lovely, but this one member of staff made the whole experience most unpleasant and difficult for a mother with young children when there didn't seem to be any benefit to general security, which we wholly agree with and support.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"shockingly lacking at this airport"

Not Verified | Probably the worst international airport pretending to be an international airport. Queueing times, luggage handling. Customer friendliness, service orientation, practical thinking, proper solutions for all the passengers being lured to this airport as an 'international hub', all of this is shockingly lacking at this airport. 2 hours waiting for luggage doesn't even happen in the worst airports of the world. If I could skip it, I would.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"Such a bad experience"

Trip Verified | Unfriendly and harsh security personnel. Such a bad experience before flying because it ruins your whole mood. Messy and bad crowd control. One of the worst airport experiences I’ve encountered.

"fancy but no substance"

Not Verified | One of the worst I have seen in my life; fancy but no substance. Dislike the fact that body scanner is used as a default means of screening unlike anywhere else in the developed world
Date VisitSeptember 2019