Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

"the worst airport that I have come across"

Trip Verified | This was my departure from Amsterdam as part of my euro tour. Having experienced good airports all this while, the expectations was that Schipol wouldn't dissapoint but to my surprise this is the worst airport that I have come across in terms of infrastructure. There seems to be shortage of staff starting from counters till check out. I reached the airport close to 2.5 hrs before and the horror started when I started check-in. 5 counters for 2 busy Emirates flights with two reserved for platinum and business class. Apparently online check-in had no advantages as the queue of passengers who weren't checked in had a faster check in at the counters. Poor management of boarding counters and that was the start of the worst experience next heading to the security screening which is not equipped to handle passengers of this magnitude and run in an age old snake pattern queueing. My flight was at 11.40 am and they had to inspect a shaving foam bottle which resulted in a further delay. This ensured I finished security at 11 am. Next stop at immigration control where the pace was slow and that ensured I cleared that at 11.33 am. Post that there was a frantic attempt to find the gates and after a long walk finally reached the gate and boarded at 11.40. Moment we boarded we realised that the flight had a delayed time for take off by 30 mins. This is not the fault of the airline as some passengers were delayed because of the long times at different queues in the airport. I had heard about the magnitude of Schipol airport but can comfortably say that the outdated infrastructure, shortage of staff, mismanagement of time etc ensures that this airport cannot handle nor provide the world class service like other airports like Dubai, London etc..
Date VisitOctober 2019

"a constant shortage of staff"

Trip Verified | No idea what is wrong with this airport - I was out of immigration within minutes as I was one of the first ones to get off the plane. However, it took more than 30 minutes before the suitcases went on the carousel. There seems to be a constant shortage of staff. There is always a queue or wait, yet there aren’t enough seats around. I wouldn’t recommend this airport but there isn’t a choice when you have to travel to the Netherlands.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"Unprofessional staff at security"

Not Verified | Unprofessional staff at security when transferring through Amsterdam. More interested in shouting at passengers including myself than doing a good job.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"Security staff highly unprofessional"

(Malta)

Not Verified | Queuing times at airport especially at security are long. Security staff highly unprofessional and above all impractical. They do nothing to ease the queues. A female security staff member was literally shouting at my teenage daughter to remove a bag from the belt which was not hers. When my daughter told her so she was calling her arrogant. It is the only airport we ever visited where they did not allow baby food on board. The would allow the milk but not the liquidised food. It is better to arrive early. On a positive note the signs at this large airport are really helpful.

"queues, queues, queues"

(Norway)

Trip Verified | A poem to sum up my numerous experiences of Schipol: At Schipol it’s the same old news, A lack of loos, loos, loos! Just toilet queues, queues, queues! I’ve got The Blues.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"there isn’t enough staff"

Trip Verified | The airport infrastructure is available but there isn’t enough staff. Security check in is mostly shut whilst there are massive queues. There is no separate line for priority passengers either. Go early.

"Its unbelievable"

Trip Verified | I'm very surprised, after a couple of times travelling from Schipol airport the only time I needed to show my ID was on the desk to check in my luggage. Last time I went only with hand luggage and my eticket on my phone, and once again I passed the every controller and enter in the plane without anybody checking my identification. I think this is something can create very many risks. Its unbelievable.

"Signposts are clear"

(Taiwan)

Trip Verified | Staff members are friendly and helpful. Signposts are clear in both Dutch and English. That is, passengers know where are they going directly. Goods are bountiful and various.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"dictating, ordering, and utterly unfriendly"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | The waiting time Sunday morning at 06:00 hrs, September 15 (Check-in 1A) was 60 minutes! That in itself is totally unacceptable. Moreover the security staff (from a company I do not know) was dictating, ordering, and utterly unfriendly. A lady standing before the security zone was saying to desperate passengers, that it was their "duty to arrive at the airport 3 hours before departure". If this is true, I would urge the management of the airport to confirm that message in a clear fashion! It this is true, we will solve the Earth' environmental issues very soon!
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"Staff just stand around"

Not Verified | Such long queues - not even at the bag check but at the passport control machines. Staff just stand around and do absolutely nothing to help or to manage the queues. Machines break down and nothing gets done to bring the people in that queue to another machine - this is just asking for frustrated people to become angry. When you show you're in a rush you get a comment from this blond guy in his cabin 'Next time get here on time'. So rude if you have no idea what's made people late and stressed. People could have anxieties, delays beyond their control, emotional goodbyes etc. No point in being rude when you run such a disorganised operation yourself!