Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

"This is one nasty and horrible airport"

Trip Verified | There was an intimidating atmosphere that I didn't like. The kind of menace you find usually in American airports. The very rude security & 'douane' staff who engage in blatant and obvious profiling of passengers. Their lies and derogatory manner in which they treat passengers. A horrible experience. The one terminal design is predicated on it's ease of use. But what it is in reality is that there are very long walks to your gate and if you have a tight connection you can easily miss your flights. It's difficult to navigate and the 'central foyer' if you're on each side is some distance. Not well thought out for 2021. Add to the fact there is nothing much to do here if you have a long layer over. Transiting more than 90min and you'll be very bored and frustrated. Most shops were closed apart from some very expensive retail shops. This is one nasty and horrible airport.
Date VisitJanuary 2021

"Such a rude behavior is totally unacceptable"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | The worst airport experience in many years! Arrived on time at 07:00 am from a 9 hours flight, with a 7 hours layover for my next flight. At the security check my hand luggage was sorted for further manual check, together with about 50% of hand bags of other passengers in the same line. Please note that all other lines had not more than 10-20% of bags selected. It was totally clear that something was wrong with the calibration of that scanner! This caused me a frustrating 30 minutes waiting for my bag to be cleared, while in urgent need for a toilet. Of course nothing wrong was found with my luggage and all others in the same line. Passed this check, I went to the transit/departures hall. Here I found a panel with a large airport map, showing all services available. Among those I noticed the presence of a smoking space at departures corridor D, and there I went hoping to have a cigarette. After walking the whole corridor D without finding the place, I asked for information to a person in some kind of uniform (no idea from which organization. Whatever was written on his badge and dress was in Dutch). The man told me that all smoking areas were closed due to Covid measures. I pointed out that A) smoking rooms have a much better and faster air aspiration than any other place and are then intrinsically safer, and B) that the inaccurate information displayed on the panel creates an expectation that is then not fulfilled and this is frustrating. The man laughed at me! Seriously! Such a rude behavior is totally unacceptable. Indeed I did not want to discuss further with a person in a uniform, fearing consequences. I instead filed a complaint to the Airport website. After this I went to seek for a restaurant, only to discover that there are no restaurants open at Schiphol, only fast food places and cafes, selling packaged sandwiches and similar. No way one can have something as simple as a soup or a scrambled egg, a steak or a pasta. Unbelievable! You can intoxicate yourself with a hamburger and fries, but you can't get an omelette or a piece of cheese with some proper bread. Crazy. Of course a number of "restaurants" are displayed on the same panel, but they include McDonalds and such places that cannot be defined as proper restaurants. Other places were closed "due to Covid". Why that? Surely not because of lack of potential customers (the airport was crowded as usual) and not because of safety, if bars, cafes and fast food places are open! Add that I found at least two moving walkways and one escalator that were not working and you have the picture of an airport that, though clean and "good looking", is not functional and needs serious retraining of its personnel.
Date VisitDecember 2020

"cost savings at the expense of passengers"

Trip Verified | Schiphol is a terrible airport that values cost savings at the expense of passengers. COVID may have decreased passengers but Schiphol has further decreased security check points. The queues to pass security check takes 90 minutes. If not for good Samaritans, we would have missed our flight. Just because the airline says arrive 2 hours before - don’t. Get to Schiphol 4 hours before to be on the safe side. 90% of security scanners remain unused as the airport is severely understaffed. I would give the airport a zero if possible - an airport should facilitate flights, not create extra hurdles and obstacles for passengers.
Date VisitDecember 2020

"the staff members absolutely ruined my trip"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam Schiphol airport is huge and beautiful but the staff members absolutely ruined my trip. When I got lost and tried to get information each person that I talked to were too busy on their phones to help someone. I understand it wasn’t the job of some of them, but somehow I expected more compassion for someone that was literally in tears and had walked for hours trying to find her way. When I went to their information station (all digital) their wasn’t enough to go by and they tell you to ring if you need to talk to someone. I rang 3 times and no one picked up. So I tried going to the disabled help center, the woman who attended me was on her phone talking (so maybe I was just an inconvenience to her, she basically called me dumb) but if someone that works with special needs treated me so rudely how do they treat the ones that can’t complain? I was shocked that someone like that had contact with people who need help and all she wanted to do was be on her phone. All I wanted to do was get out of there as fast as possible. So when I was able to call a different help line service and they finally picked up, it wasn’t long before I was insulted again and that was when I lost my nerve and asked him if there was anyone useful there and it was only then (when I was ringing on the phone) that he decided to give me information. I was never so humiliated in my life. I truly ask: is there any management in that place? Because no one was doing their jobs which isn’t much considering the pandemic (people aren’t travelling as much). So I can only imagine how much worse the treatment could get if they were busy at all. The only people who tried to help me were immigration workers (and that wasn’t their jobs) but the people who work for the actual airport, their treatment was unacceptable. I was laughed at and insulted countless times. So if you have plans of flying thru there but get lost easily I suggest you go somewhere else. I had never gotten lost before in my life and I usually find my way very fast. But I’m only young and knew that that’s something normal that almost everyone goes thru, (and I probably would at some point) unfortunately that happened and I was surrounded not only by rudeness, but also by laziness and probably the worst people I could be around at that point. So maybe I was naive, because I expected that help workers where useful, or at least a bit more kind. But I think it was to wild of an idea for them to work before the person lost their patience. But that was the only thing that worked! Do I really need to be enraged to get help? For disclaimer I probably talked to 20 different workers and I can count on my fingers the ones that tried to help, non of them did help me but at least they tried, which is more than I can say for the airport help centres!
Date VisitNovember 2020

"a somewhat strange, but very pleasant experience"

Trip Verified | Departing on a Sunday morning for the first time since March when the Covid-19 pandemic broke loose. Never have I experienced this airport with relatively so few passengers. Security was a breeze as I was the only passenger at that moment. Through in less than a minute. Boarding via stairs, no problem. The airport is very clean, signage is excellent, but it is a huge airport. Due to the pandemic some sections are closed which limits the walking distances, which is thoughtful and nice. Shops and restaurants operate as normal. Facemasks are worn everywhere. All in all a somewhat strange, but very pleasant experience.
Date VisitSeptember 2020

"airport is very clean and modern looking"

Trip Verified | The airport is very clean and modern looking. The hotel and food in the terminal is very convenient, especially given the pandemic. The only problem it is a bit hard to estimate the time required to walk from the food shops and hotel to the gate. The different letters associated with the gates can be confusing, so you may end up thinking the gate is much closer to where you are.
Date VisitJune 2020

"always a nice airport to visit"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Schipol is always a nice airport to visit: all organized, clean, clear and simple. It was very strange to see it so empty, given the circumstances with Covid.
Date VisitSeptember 2020

"try to avoid this airport in the future"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | Terribly boring airport to visit, but despite nothing to do and mostly sad machine made coffee. Yhey have closed all smoking areas inside the airport. For travelers like me who smoke I find this very rude and inconsiderate. For my next travels I will definitely try to avoid this airport in the future.
Date VisitJuly 2020

"Good experience this time"

Not Verified | Quick trip through on my way to Japan in January. There can be long walking distances here depending on the connections but I was lucky this time and my gates were quite well aligned. Liked the range of seats and I found a quiet place to catch up on work for a couple of hours between flights. WiFi functioned well and found the airport website good for quick flight information. Whilst I didn't use there are clearly lots of shopping and dining choices. Good experience this time.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Signage is excellent"

Trip Verified | This has got to be one of the easiest airports to change planes. All gates in one large spoked wheel with connecting hubs. I can turn a blind eye to the interminal shops and cafes. A nice seat to wait the gate is all I need. Signage is excellent and maintenance levels high with travelators all working (unlike Manchester where 50% seem always out of service. It makes flying easier to use this place for connections that are so efficient.
Date VisitFebruary 2020