Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

"unnecessary queueing"

Trip Verified | I travelled on a Sunday evening and it was quite quiet. Staff did not fully utilise the security check facilities, meaning that there was unneccesary queueing, while some staff stood around quite visibly. The passport control was confusing as the actual passport check desk was empty while two policemen stood off to one side. When I walked through, trying to ascertain what was supposed to happen, one of the policemen informed me, quite rudely, that he was there to check my passport. This was not made obvious by the layout and he spoke to me like an idiot, as if it should have been obvious. It would have been obvious if he was actually located at the passport control desk, and not loitering off to a flank, speaking to his colleagues - unprofessional.

"rushed and stressful"

Not Verified | My wife and I went through Schiphol at noon yesterday (Oct. 15) en route from Budapest to Vancouver. We were looking forward to browsing the shops and then getting to our gate with time to spare. Unfortunately the incredibly long wait at passport control made our visit rushed and stressful. Why is this a problem? Most of the automated control gates were not open and there was no organized lines to the 4 that were running. Staff were doing their best to achieve some sort of order but were overwhelmed by desperate passengers trying to make their next connections. The result was that some of the lines were arbitrarily cut. When we finally were proceeding toward an open machine our line was stopped and we had been to merge with the adjoining line. We spent over an hour jostling with other passengers in a hot cramped area. This is not acceptable for a major airport in a first world country. I thought that the Dutch were supposed to be efficient and organized.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"rude, aggressive and just horrible"

Not Verified | Schipol is a really great airport - accessible, well-serviced, free WiFi, clear signage and decent shops. But it's always let down by the appallingly rude, aggressive and just horrible horrible G4S people at security. We all know it's a necessity but there are airports with security that do it with charm and civility - Berlin, Cape Town, Kyoto, to name but a few. I don't know if G4S deliberately employ swine or if they train them that way. But they've got some real pigs working here.

"passengers are commodity"

Not Verified | Cramped, over crowded, staff at coffee corner C gates totally desinterested. General staff attitude at airport: complete disinterest, passengers are commodity. Painful for such a small country that should cherish the passenger activities.

"extremely slow"

Not Verified | I fly weekly from Schiphol. Security run times are in comparison to other airports extremely slow. Schiphol please make this easy benchmark to optimise your operations. Further there are a large number of security personnel who use above average volume to direct people in a rather direct way (this is the polite phrasing as I would not even address house pets this way). Again here an easy benchmark is that with reduced number of personnel and basic customer skills both costs and customer experience are improved.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"staff were rude and unapproachable"

Not Verified | Security was well organised and staffed, there was no queue. The staff member at the body scanner I used was rude (perhaps this is just a Dutch thing) but it doesn't hurt to smile. For passport control, that was a 5 minute queue and fairly efficient. Food in the airport is really expensive so bring this from a local supermarket and get water in the airport. It is well signposted but I would only recommend this airport if you are visiting the Netherlands. I would think that airport transfer would be very confusing here. Overall the staff were rude and unapproachable. Smile more and your job would be easier. WiFi is available throughout and is ok.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"incredibly rude and bossy"

Not Verified | People at customs are incredibly rude and bossy, it took 30 minutes for someone to look in my bag and it was only me waiting, meaning I was late to my gate. I had an incredibly important possession taken off me which I have never had any problems with for the past 3 years of carrying it through different airports (including Amsterdam in the past). Everything else is nice and efficient, but the customs aren’t.

"avoid at all costs"

Trip Verified | We waited well over an hour to get our bags after our flight arrived, the bags came out 5-10 at a time then wait 5 min and the same thing. I have been to well over 50 airports and this was by far the longest wait, very unprofessional and totally disgusted! Will try to avoid at all costs on my next trip to Europe
Date VisitAugust 2018

"great service, stress-free"

Not Verified | A word of praise for the Lost and Found Service. We were in transit and after a long flight from Panama, my 14 year old son absent-mindedly forgot his telephone on board the plane. The staff at the L&F counter gave us a warm welcome and immediately set off back to the plane to search for the missing item. She recovered the phone and kindly brought it to our next boarding gate as time was short. This all entailed a great deal of walking and yet the lady greeted us with a smile and kind words. Great service, stress-free.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"Totally unorganized airport"

Trip Verified | As a foreigner living in the Netherlands, basically all experiences at Schiphol Airport were unpleasant. Totally unorganized airport. Some Staff are not properly trained. I heard a few times staff saying “I cant help you”, many of them were from Schiphol.
Date VisitJuly 2018