Amritsar Airport

Amritsar Airport customer review

I recently visited Amritsar airport for the first time and found it a mixed experience. Clearly undergoing a major expansion the approach roads are something of a building site. Inside the terminal clean tidy but with very limited facilities. Passport control was painfully slow with only two desks open. Yet I was very impressed that on arrival an airport worker noticed I had a bad leg and had some difficulty walking. He immediately offered assistance which was not required

Amritsar Airport customer review

All comments before the opening of the new airport terminal in 2006 are irrelevant as the old terminal was basically a hut. I flew to and out of the new Amritsar airport terminal. The terminal is a vast improvement over the old. There are still some growing pains such as unfinished drywall and some shoddy construction but the facility is bright and modern with international standards. A few minor improvements like some better paint and better signage would go a long way. Baggage pick-up area is unneccesarily congested with carts obstructing access everywhere. Some common sense applied would help. On the other hand the departure was excellent with no delay courteous staff and a nice general lounge. General cleanliness was an issue but its India.

Amritsar Airport customer review

My previous visit to this was back in 2005. In comparison my 2007 visit was a great experience - standards have improved beyond expectations. The site now boasts extensive parking on site and a much more modern feel to the whole airport building. The staff were polite helpful and had a good understanding of travellers needs. There were provisions for refreshments and more than adequate seating with the bonus of a satisfactory air conditioning system. Both upon arrival and departure the whole process was swift and efficient.

Amritsar Airport customer review

Amritsar airport has come a long way with the new arrival and departure lounges. Arrival clearance was quick and the baggage arrived on time on the conveyer belts. Check in was swift with the handling agent completing forms. Security was quick also anew bus took as to the aircraft. Jet airways and Singapore airlines fly from the UK and USA Canada making the trip comfortable. The next phase of the airport will introduce air bridges and other improvements.

Amritsar Airport customer review

The Airport is improving. I have flown to Delhi and Amritsar several times. The treatment by staff is the same where ever you fly in India and the facilities in Delhi are hardly amazing compared to modern standards. I think people forget sometimes that this was never ment to be a civilian airport and is ex- army. I think with time it will only improve but it beats a 9 hour drive any day from Delhi to Punjab.

Amritsar Airport customer review

The facilities were not great but very convenient and you know what they could use a tent for a terminal and I would still go back. Sure beats landing in Delhi and driving to Punjab. The staff was very good particularly the Singapore Airline ground staff.

Amritsar Airport customer review

This is the worst airport I have ever had the misfortune to depart from (arrivals although very slow is ok.). Raji Sansi Airport seems to me to be an example of how to cram in as much beauracracy and paperwork into a process as possible. Our tickets and passports were inspected twice before we'd even got in to the airport!. At check- in the staff were extremely rude and un-communicative. The security processes to get through to the departure lounge we're the most convoluted and unnecessary that I've ever experienced with over-zealous staff who don't give a stuff about the customers they're supposed to be serving. The departure lounge is a joke with a tiny counter in one corner where you can by local drinks (limca.miranda etc) for 30Rupees (double the going rate in Amritsar) or you can buy 'imported' canned drinks which because they're imported are priced at a ridiculous 150R - you wouldn't pay that much for a can of mango juice in London even! There is a new bigger airport building being constructed but unless they improve the quality of the staff and services It's just going to be a big mess. Our experiences at Amritsar have meant that my wife for whom this was her first trip to India has vowed never ever to go back. I last went to India 10 years ago and flew from Delhi and that was no problem at all. My opinion at the time was: nice country shame about the people. My opinion remains unchanged.

Amritsar Airport customer review

I travelled to Armritsar in July 2004 from England with Uzbeckistan Airways. As its seems in India form filling in double triplicate was the order of the day. Although it was night tome the heat was over powering and the airport would benifit from air conditioning. The luggage carousel was in a state of total dissrepair and the bags where thrown through the hole in the wall in a rough style by unseen hands. Next was the customs which if i hadnt have been traveling with an Indian friend i would have found daunting. The money they wanted was not handed over. I agree with another traveller about the lighting outside the airport which is dim to say the least. Things can only get better but if it did not it would not deter me from going to this most interesting city and its friendly people.

Amritsar Airport customer review

I flew IA into Amritsar in Nov. 2004 via Dubai. Airport Arrival staff was courteous which I wasn't expecting because I have heard horrible stories from others about the staff. I got my luggage intact. But departure was different story; everyone from security personnel to immigration staff was very slow and very rude. As far as facilities go the current airport building is pretty old and not well kept but new building is under construction adjacent the old one. It should be operational sometime before the end of 2005. Let’s hope with new building customer service level will improve. All in all it beats traveling to Delhi. I’m looking forward to flying into Amritsar on my next trip.

Amritsar Airport customer review

I have used this airport several times now. Each time it seems to get slightly better. Furthermore the new terminal building is due to open in late summer 2005 which will improve things even further. Airport staff at check-in immigration control and security have also improved with their customer service skills. However the only department which needs to improve is customs. Some members of Indian customs can be very petty which can result in heated arguments taking place between passengers and customs officials. The Indian government needs to also address the issue of improving the lighting situation on the main road which goes to the airport. At present it is pitch black at night which can be very daunting during night time.