Accra Kotoka Airport

"ridiculously overpriced"

Having been there three times during the past 18 months many things have changed for the better. Back in 2004 I was impressed by how quick my baggage turned up and the warm welcome by the immigration officers on my first visit to Ghana. Not so impressed by dirty toilets though taxi drivers and baggage carriers offering their service "proactively" after arrival immigration officers worrying me seriously on my first departure from ACC. Summer 2005 clean toilets working air condition at the departure gates friendly staff. Duty-free shopping facilities were ridiculously overpriced for some items though. Autumn 2005 quick baggage delivery after arrival nobody asking for "food money" in the airport short cues and loads of immigration officers available on departure - you could actually understand the announcements done through the PA system.

"a sub-standard airport"

Kotoka must be one of the funniest airports I've ever visited. As soon as I arrived I had the feeling that I arrived to a developing country. First I had to walk from the airplane to the airport under light rain. Waiting for the luggage was another joke as it took a hell of a long time and there was also this guy with a chalk marking all the luggage that were moving on the carpet (no idea why). Eventually I went to customs (I had nothing to declare) yet my luggage was searched 3 times. It was actually the first time that my luggage got searched in front of me let alone 3 times by 3 different people. I discovered later that the customs people were doing this in order to get money. Oh and all through the way there were staff asking for money. I specially remember that guy who asked me "What did you get for your nice friends in Africa?". Now when departing I was amazed to see that the gate looked exactly like my class when I was 11 or 12 I guess: crowded all people facing the same direction and no A/C. Bottom line be prepared for a sub-standard airport and to give some "gifts" to your "friends" whenever you're arriving or leaving this country.

"people asking for payments"

I have been using Kotoka International Airport for the past three years and very time I travel I fear the worst. The airport has only two departure lounges where passengers seat like they are in school bus all facing in front. On Fridays and Saturdays when there are several flights departing almost at the same time the departure lounges are full to capacity. The situation is worse when flights are delayed and it is normal to find more 500+ passengers in a lounge meant for not more than 200 people. Air-conditioning in the lounges does not work well and the TVs make so much noise that it is impossible to hear the announcements. The Duty Free shops are extortion points selling items for prices that are way above the normal price. Indeed there are renovations going on at the airport but the benefits are yet to be seen. A couple of years back customs officers used to connive with “helpers” (trolley pushers) and armed robbers and several passengers arriving in Accra had their items stolen. The Government moved in and cleared the airport of “helpers”. These people are back again. In addition there are just too many people asking for payments for the services that they have not rendered.

"check in at least 3 hours before"

I have been at Accra Kotoka International several times during the last couple of years. You definitely get the feeling of being in a third world country from the moment you arrive. But the facilities at the airport has improved the last years. It is smart to be met by someone at the aiport especially if you travel alone and it's your first time in Ghana. Be sure to check in at least 3 hours before your flight departs.

"bullied and harassed"

My seventeen year old daughter was returning to us alone to London. Despite having stamped UK visa and both Ghanaian and British passports and being a minor an immigration officer bullied and harassed her on a late night flight (she was last in queue) while she was also feeling feverish. He extorted £100 off her claiming she was the sister of the person in the passport and pocketed the money.

"long slow-moving queues"

I've had the pleasure and unique opportunity of checking-in at Accra's Kotoka International Airport on several occasions. The general service and style of the airport that of a third world country airport. Regular delays of flights inattentive staff and long slow-moving queues. However this all adds to the personality of the airport. It has character. Before your flight you can grind on some tasty kebabs at the thatched-roof kiosk near the parking lot. I do feel you can enjoy this airport if you go with an open mind and adventurous spirit.

"left me disappointed"

Kotoka airport has certainly been "cleaned up" in terms of its appearance. Unfortunately I cannot say the same about its personnel staff. My most recent encounter with Kotoka airport was on 31 March 2004. It's certainly left me disappointed enough to want to write this email. Having arrived over 2hrs early in order to check in for my flight I then had to endure the following frustrating events. Having checked in I made my way to what appears to be a "Security Point". I was asked to complete an immigration card. As I didn't have a pen I asked a member of staff to lend me his. I was totally ignored. Another traveller (a Ghanian man) who was obviously as embarrassed as I by this apparent curtness informed me that I would be seen to soon. Meanwhile an official with his family were waved through before my request was attended to. This particular member of staff made no attempt by way of an apology for ignoring me for a over five minutes. I completed the card and handed it over. He took it examined it along with my travel documents and then waved me on like a naughty school child (I felt sufficiently humiliated to feel like a 10 yr old and not an adult of 37yrs). I then foolishly made the mistake of wanting to purchase a drink in the bar next to the Duty Free Shop. I requested a glass of wine from a female bar staff. She advised me that I could only purchase a bottle of wine and then walked away before I could even enquire about an alternative drink. I was sufficiently aghast enough to just stand rooted for a minute or so. Another bar staff noted this approached me and asked if I required a service. I informed her that I did but I didn't think I would receive it (I then went and sat down). Having eventually made it to the departure lounge I found myself along with other passengers waiting for over an hour to board tour plan. There were no announcements to explain this delay. In actually fact the apology came from the captain (KLM). I can only say that I feel sufficiently frustrated and humiliated enough to seriously consider not returning back to Ghana in the immediate future.