Accra Kotoka Airport

"more work has to be done"

Kotoka International Airport has improved over the years but a lot more work has to be done I must say. They need to get the RIGHT people to work for them and not have money scavaging people who will try and get into your pockets for all you have by trying to help you. You will think they are being nice but at the end they want you to cough up. Some of the staff there are quite rude and I can't understand why they won't allow people who aren't travelling [those accompanying travellers] to come into the airport. Most staff have no manners and take no notice of you they push you from one corner to the next and do not sympathise which really hacks me off. I should be proud of my country but I am not happy at all they really need to fix up in everything they do. I do not like the way customs open up your bag and search manually by taking things out and expect you to put it back in which is ridiculous its time they got with technology.

"avoided being among the masses"

This time my departure was not as usual in the late night when most flights to Europe go but in the late afternoon. This avoided being among the masses of passengers for different flights in the gate hall. What confused me this time were the passport controls which where labeled with IMMIGRATION apparently due to reorganisation. Control points: 1. Before check-in. 2. Check-in 3. Before passport control 4. Passport control. 5. Before entering gate. 6. Before entering airplane.

"airport has improved overtime"

The airport has improved overtime but there is still a lot more work to be done. Baggage claim is such a hassle. Airport is still riddled with wrong people who want money for themselves. We can do much better than this.

"airport continues to improve"

The airport continues to improve. By no means are the services where they could (should) be but they are better than before. As more and more business travel moves through Accra the law of supply and demand should help improve the quality and efficiency of the airport. The baggage claim is woefully lacking. Food is marginally adequate. Need to get rid of people outside of airport trying to "help" you.

"number of controls has decreased"

The number of controls has decreased from former 8 to 6. After the entry I should have shown my ticket although flying ticketless. I explained them that now most flights are ticketless hence the control unnecessary. At check-in I got a boarding card indicating that I should go to the gate (an uncomfortable place) at 21h30 although the flight was to be at 23h30. At 22h30 I was able to hear an announcement telling to go to the gate 2 (the visual information system did not work). There was a long queu already waiting so I went back to the hall. The next message heard was that another flight announced for gate 2 was redirected to gate 1. So a flock of people walked away and I went to the gate once more without having to wait for the entry control. I was asked for the ticket and the same dialogue began as before. They said I could not fly unless I would show a ticket. In order to show what they meant they order another passenger to show 'a ticket'. It was a flight confirmation on a shabby piece of fax paper. I had left the confirmation in the checked-in baggage but due to a lucky incident I found a preliminary confirmation in my handbag which was accepted. At departure time passengers were still coming in with up to 3 handbags and gigantic suit cases and the flight took with 1 hour of delay. Apparently they had been accepted although too late. Pack every valuable into your handbag if you don't have a hard suit case.

"quite basic but functional"

I was in transit through Accra twice recently flying between Johannesburg and London Gatwick on Ghana International. The airport is quite basic but functional and the staff are all very friendly if not particularly efficient. On the outbound flight we didn't even enter the terminal building due to a very tight connection but 3 hours on the return was more than enough to explore the very limited options. Any transit longer than 4-5 hours would be unbearable if only because of the horribly accented announcements every 10 minutes trying to sell you a raffle ticket.

"departure process has improved"

The airport overall has improved from my last visit in 2001 and continues to go thru major renovations to bring it up to modern standards. The departure process has improved and the departure lounge could use updating. The air-conditioning system has significantly improved and is cooler and more consistent. The arrival process has also improved and this time around I was not too harassed by the bribers; I didn't see much of that on arrival however Ghanaians living abroad are still subjected to minor harassments and covert bribery attempts on both arrival and departures by staffers checking baggage and performing unnecessary baggage checks in attempts to part with travelers belongings. This needs to stop! I hope the renovations are completed by the 2008 African Cup to accommodate the many travelers who will pass through the airport.

"somewhat shabby immigration hall"

I wasn’t sure what to expect on reaching Accra despite having read previous comments. It turned out to be a slightly surreal experience. There are no airbridges. Passengers were bussed the short distance from the aircraft to the arrivals wing. A long poorly lit corridor led to the somewhat shabby immigration hall. Not perhaps the best first impression for arriving passengers. Clearing immigration and customs was a slow process however the officials seemed to go out of their way to give first time visitors a beaming “Welcome to Ghana”. Baggage reclaim proved to be a bit of a scrum. The public area of the arrivals level was much brighter and more modern in its décor but it felt somewhat empty and unfinished. The most intimidating aspect was being approached and asked for a tip to provide security by someone clearly eyeing up my luggage. Fortunately the driver meeting me arrived at that moment and whisked me off safely. Departing Accra provided a somewhat different experience. The outside of the Departures level was positively packed the reason quickly became apparent as only passengers were allowed inside the building. The appearance of the check in area was quite modern although it was not particularly well signposted and had a somewhat stark feel to it. Having joined a very long line at the KLM check in desks I was quickly directed to leave the queue to clear customs a requirement which departing passengers should undertake before checking in and which was not clearly indicated. Check-in was speedy thanks to a KLM official directing frequent flier card holders to the Business Class desks but passport control and security checks were slow. The large departure lounge has recently been refurbished it contains an attractive duty free shopping area and refreshment and seating areas. On a less positive note the seats were metal and lacking any form of cushioning were uncomfortable. Public address announcements were almost inaudible. Like the refurbished part of the arrivals level there were vast areas of unoccupied space perhaps awaiting future retail outlets or other passenger facilities. There are two departure gates one at either end of the lounge. With two flights boarding simultaneously through Gate 2 this is where things broke down. The corridor from the lounge to the departure gate was shabby and the toilets were in a disgusting condition. With 500 or so passengers crowded into the boarding lounge and no apparent PA system airline staff were pushing up and down shouting at the top of their voices trying to separate passengers into groups for boarding. Two busses were in use transferring passengers from the gate to the two aircraft. Although the process only took about an hour it was a chaotic hot and very uncomfortable experience. Sadly these last few yards took away the otherwise favourable impression of the Departures level of Kotoka International Airport. I hope that the refurbishment which is underway continues and quickly addresses the shortcomings particularly in the arrivals area.

"has improved a lot"

Accra airport has improved a lot from the old days but still has a long way before it catches up with even its colleagues in Lagos nearby. No jetways poor airconditioning and dysfunctional signage are only three of the problems it faces. The only saving grace is the friendliness of the hardworking staff. My flights on both Ghana International and Aerocontractors left in the middle of peak hours but the airline staff did a wonderful job shepherding us through snaking immigration and security lines. There is construction going on everywhere so it can only bode well for a more improved terminal in due course.

"everything moves quickly"

Accra airport has improved tremendously since the start of new national carrier Ghana International Airlines. There is a special check-in area for the new airline and everything moves quickly and with efficient staff (mix of local Ghanaians and Americans). Immigration checks are still very long and the airconditioning does not work so it is very unpleasant. Duty Free shopping is good and prices are same as London mostly. Boarding area is still under construction so passengers are taken in buses to the planes. Arrivals however is very quick and efficient. My baggage from GIA flight had arrived before I reached the terminal building which is faster than I have seen in any other airport. Overall great potential for the airport if this can be maintained.