Aberdeen Airport

"airport has deteriorated rapidly"

As a regular business traveller commuting between Manchester and Aberdeen I can truly say that the customer experience at Aberdeen Airport has deteriorated rapidly. Issues with Airlines and the haphazard Taxi services aside and there are plenty Aberdeen Airport is clearly struggling to cope with increased passenger traffic particularly as the Summer holiday season commences. The Security experience has to be seen to be believed the security queue winds its way through what can only be described as a chicane to the first point where an airport employee scans your boarding pass 10-15 minutes later you emerge into the Security Hall. Often undermanned this has 3 scanners 2 of which are in operation. With no control the queue effectively crowds pushing you forward until your turn to disrobe comes. Once through Security you're then funnelled through Duty Free and into the Airside 'Lounge' - not the most welcoming of places. If you're travelling with colleagues or as a family forget being able to hold a conversation. Every airline makes constant announcements there is the obligatory Pre-Board but that is followed by constant reminders as boarding begins with the frequent call for 'lost' passengers. On the subject of size Aberdeen has plans to expand. One could say grand plans but if they can't cope at the moment what hope is there for the traveller? The facilities within Aberdeen effectively close down from 20.30 making for a miserable experience if you're unfortunate to suffer the all too frequent delay.

"easy to check-in"

Not too bad it was easy to check-in. One thing I found strange was the baggage conveyer came out near the entrance to the airport. There are a few places to get a drink and a bite to eat. To get into Aberdeen the station is a bus or taxi journey away from the terminal itself. There are a couple of hotels close by but they are a bit pricey. All in all it I not too bad could do with a bit of a make over.

"security efficient"

Security efficient. Fire alarm went off just a few minutes before expected time of boarding. Meant exiting the terminal and going land-side. Fire service took 15 mins to arrive. Airport staff very professional and efficient once re-entry to the airport. Security was very fast efficient with passengers with flights boarding having priority and being called forward. Departure was delayed just over an hour.

"wish I hadn't bothered"

I really do wonder why Aberdeen have so many check-in desks (for BA flights) when they don't bother opening them! Had to wait near enough 30 minutes to check luggage in for it to go in the hold and made me wish I hadn't bothered! Security was very quiet thankfully so that was easy to negotiate. Ordered a burger at the bar post security and it took over 20 minutes for it to arrive - very frustrating when the place was dead and you can see the plane you are about to get on come in to land! Thankfully I did have time to quickly eat it just before heading to the gate.

"faced with an enormous queue"

Having battled dreadful weather conditions overnight through the Scottish Highlands I eventually arrived at the airport 10 minutes before my morning flight was due to leave. Faced with an enormous queue to get through security I asked possibly the most sour and rude security woman I've ever met on the gate if she could rush me through. I received a lecture informing me I should leave more time to get to the airport and to stay where I was in the queue. Fortunately people already in the queue heard the nasty mean spirited diatribe I received and ushered me to the front of the security queue and I did get my flight (which luckily was delayed 10 minutes anyway). A thoroughly unpleasant and distressing experience. My first and last flight from Aberdeen.

"please make it easier"

(Spain)

I travel to Aberdeen from Spain and have to rely on buses from Glasgow or Edinburgh. If Aberdeen is such a good airport why are there no flights from Alicante Murcia or Almeria to Aberdeen. We used to be able to fly with Flyglobespan and it was excellent. Please make it easier for us to come to Aberdeen to visit our family.
Terminal Cleanliness N/A

"works well most of the time"

Aberdeen airport works well most of the time. The only thing I can see that really lets the place down is the lack of toilet facilities air side. It's not unusual here to see queues of 8 or 9 in a gents toilet as was the case on a Saturday morning in July recently. This is something that really does need sorting out as other aspects of the airport are largely perfectly adequate.

"avoid this airport"

Avoid this airport on outbound flights in the afternoon particularly on Friday. Allow up to 1hr for the security screening process. You can pay an additional £5 to jump to the top of the security queue. I have not seen this at any other airport. Staff are friendly but another one/two security screening stations are required to cope at peak times. The luggage arrivals belt is small and if three flights land at once you scramble for your bags. On exiting the airport the smokers are just outside the door with the discarded cigarette ends on the pavement. Not a very nice welcome to Aberdeen. If you have the option avoid this airport or use it out of peak hours - not easy due to the remote location. I have recently used Terminals 3/4 and 5 at Heathrow and Aberdeen Airport is worse than these.

"airport clean and tidy"

International arrivals tiny baggage retrieval approx 15 mins Rail link non existant bus services limited taxis expensive. Airport clean and tidy good choice of car hire.

"not pleasant on a hot day"

Arrival okay bags quickly through departure left from a gate which had only 6 seats so passengers had to stand in a very narrow corridor. Which was not pleasant on a hot day.