Aberdeen Airport

"airport has a long way to go"

One luggage carousel poor quality and expensive food airside. What more can I say. On the plus side it is clean and there are tables in security to help you sort out shoes jacket liquids laptop but the area is very small. The seating in the gate area is not that comfortable most often you get on and off the plane by steps-rarely an airbridge as in many other airports. The addition of the multi storey carpark indicates extra footfall and the check in queues have been alleviated by the move of the BA desks round the corner but the airport has a long way to go!

"crowds of people"

On Sunday 1st September I arrived at Aberdeen Airport from London. The Journey took about an hour and ten minutes which is about the usual time. On arrival I could not get anywhere near the baggage re-claim area due to a huge backlog and crowds of people. It then took me and most everyone else 1 hour and 10 minutes to get our bags from the arrivals hall. How this can this be called an International airport beats me! It really is an embarrassment.

"great transport links"

Just back into Aberdeen Airport from Zurich via Amsterdam. Both of these Airports have great transport links using trams and trains. Aberdeen and Zurich can't be compared of course on size but the cramped and disgusting toytown railcar at the wrong end of the airport is hardly suitable. In both of these airports and at most others you can get a trolley for your bag without needing a coin. Last night I along with many other newcomers to Aberdeen I arrived before 10 to find trolleys all chained up and the bar closed. Do all foreign visitors have a pound coin ready for their trolley?

"a start for greater potential"

I wish to echo the sentiments expressed in the review by Marion Johnston. The flight options to common holiday destinations like Tenerife etc are abysmal from Aberdeen Airport. Unless you are going on an overpriced package deal with Thomas Cook Thomson's etc and book around 8-12 months in advance you're only other option is a convoluted chain of flights transfers and even overnight hotels via Edinburgh Glasgow or London. I know of many other people from Aberdeen who concur. The runway extension is obviously a start for greater potential but I'm not seeing a greatly populated list of destinations to boot!

"airport is in the dark ages"

I am fed up of taking the bus to Edinburgh or Glasgow to get a flight to the Costa Blanca because there is nothing from Aberdeen. I travel at least 5 times each year and know many other people who do the same. Every time I fly from Edinburgh of Glasgow I meet people from the North East of Scotland. Jet2.com Easyjet Ryanair Thomson Airways and Thomas Cook all put on flights from Edinburgh and/or Glasgow - sometime several flights a day leave to Alicante and flights are available all year round. How can Aberdeen airport not justify 1 flight per week to Alicante all year round? The airport is in the dark ages and cannot get past the mentality of providing an airport that is for business use only.

"airport has deteriorated rapidly"

As a regular business traveller commuting between Manchester and Aberdeen I can truly say that the customer experience at Aberdeen Airport has deteriorated rapidly. Issues with Airlines and the haphazard Taxi services aside and there are plenty Aberdeen Airport is clearly struggling to cope with increased passenger traffic particularly as the Summer holiday season commences. The Security experience has to be seen to be believed the security queue winds its way through what can only be described as a chicane to the first point where an airport employee scans your boarding pass 10-15 minutes later you emerge into the Security Hall. Often undermanned this has 3 scanners 2 of which are in operation. With no control the queue effectively crowds pushing you forward until your turn to disrobe comes. Once through Security you're then funnelled through Duty Free and into the Airside 'Lounge' - not the most welcoming of places. If you're travelling with colleagues or as a family forget being able to hold a conversation. Every airline makes constant announcements there is the obligatory Pre-Board but that is followed by constant reminders as boarding begins with the frequent call for 'lost' passengers. On the subject of size Aberdeen has plans to expand. One could say grand plans but if they can't cope at the moment what hope is there for the traveller? The facilities within Aberdeen effectively close down from 20.30 making for a miserable experience if you're unfortunate to suffer the all too frequent delay.

"easy to check-in"

Not too bad it was easy to check-in. One thing I found strange was the baggage conveyer came out near the entrance to the airport. There are a few places to get a drink and a bite to eat. To get into Aberdeen the station is a bus or taxi journey away from the terminal itself. There are a couple of hotels close by but they are a bit pricey. All in all it I not too bad could do with a bit of a make over.

"security efficient"

Security efficient. Fire alarm went off just a few minutes before expected time of boarding. Meant exiting the terminal and going land-side. Fire service took 15 mins to arrive. Airport staff very professional and efficient once re-entry to the airport. Security was very fast efficient with passengers with flights boarding having priority and being called forward. Departure was delayed just over an hour.

"wish I hadn't bothered"

I really do wonder why Aberdeen have so many check-in desks (for BA flights) when they don't bother opening them! Had to wait near enough 30 minutes to check luggage in for it to go in the hold and made me wish I hadn't bothered! Security was very quiet thankfully so that was easy to negotiate. Ordered a burger at the bar post security and it took over 20 minutes for it to arrive - very frustrating when the place was dead and you can see the plane you are about to get on come in to land! Thankfully I did have time to quickly eat it just before heading to the gate.

"faced with an enormous queue"

Having battled dreadful weather conditions overnight through the Scottish Highlands I eventually arrived at the airport 10 minutes before my morning flight was due to leave. Faced with an enormous queue to get through security I asked possibly the most sour and rude security woman I've ever met on the gate if she could rush me through. I received a lecture informing me I should leave more time to get to the airport and to stay where I was in the queue. Fortunately people already in the queue heard the nasty mean spirited diatribe I received and ushered me to the front of the security queue and I did get my flight (which luckily was delayed 10 minutes anyway). A thoroughly unpleasant and distressing experience. My first and last flight from Aberdeen.