XL Airways France

"They lost my luggage"

Trip Verified | New York to Paris. They lost my luggage and didnt return it for 3 days. Try being in Paris without all your meds and clothes! There isnt a worse customer service on the planet. Rude and unhelpful. The most they will reimburse is 22 Euro per day but be prepared to be put through the ringer for it. So far 14 emails and no money. I have sent them more receipts and evidence than you can imagine. I cannot recommend nor will I ever fly them again. Horrible company.
RouteNew York to Paris

"Worst experience ever"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Paris. We decided to try them for our 13 years old and bought a UM (Unaccompanied Minor ) ticket. Worst experience ever. They do not inform you that they need both parent to fill a release form in order for your kid to travel but they then ask you for it when checking in and refuse to check you in unless you have that form which should have been provided by them for you to fill in in the first place. They do not guarantee that your kid will not be seating next to an adult which is a requirement for UM. They do not provide the parent with a gate pass to safely see his kid get inside the plane. Supposedly against their policy. You get no update from them until your kid lands and himself provide you with updates. So, to all parents, do not use this airline for your kids.
RouteLos Angeles to Paris
Date FlownJune 2019

"never fly this airline again"

Trip Verified | Paris to New York. The absolute worst airline I’ve ever flown! If you are looking for a stressful experience book your flight with this airline! To begin with when leaving NY for a much anticipated trip we accidentally brought an expired passport. I know horrible mistake! Since we arrived well ahead of time I thought I’d call a friend to get my current passport and bring it to the airport for me which would take less than 1 hour. The agent at the desk said we must have the passport an hour before take off. He gave me a phone number to call to see what would happen if I didn’t get the passport in time. I called and nobody answered. I told the agent then he said yes well they don’t reopen until 9am so that didn’t help much. My friend got my passport to me about 55 minutes prior to the flight departure time and they refused to let us check in. I was told the check in was closed because the check in staff needed to leave the counter to go downstairs to start boarding. If they had enough employees I would have been in that flight. It gets worse! So we missed the flight then called 9am when customer service reopened and I was told they couldn’t do anything to help me. If I wanted they would sell me new tickets for the same price for the following day. I had non refundable hotel reservations and already lost one night. Was so upset with this airline that I decided to just book a different airline for less money to get to Pairs. In the return trip my experience wasn’t much better! We got to the airport with plenty of time To spare and found XL Airways counter but no employees were there. A sign said they were closed? No further information given! We walked around to find out they were set up in a different spot. Not sure why they couldn’t have put up a sign telling us where to go. Other passengers were walking around just as confused and annoyed as us. After checking in our luggage and weighing our carry on luggage we went to the boarding area. When boarding the plane we got stopped and were told our carry on was too big. I explained that the lady at check-in weighed it for us and said it was under the allowable weight. Then the woman at boarding said no actually your daughters tote is too large. It was a fabric shopping bag with a neck pillow, some snacks and a sweater. I showed her that if you squeeze it, it scrunches up so small and it would have no problem fitting under a seat. She wasn’t allowing it at all. She said if we didn’t pay $100 for the extra bag that we couldn’t get on the plane. $100 for a shopping bag! We flew throughout Europe on several airlines with the same luggage and never encountered this issue! Not even with airlines that have a lower weight limit. This woman stopped another lady at the boarding gate. We couldn’t get on the plane unless we paid the $100! What could we do? We were now minutes before departure and needed to get home. I will never fly this airline again and will not recommend this airline.
RouteParis to New York

"just not recommended"

Trip Verified | Paris to Point a Pitre. My sister and I flex with XL Airways to get to Guadeloupe and then board a cruise ship. The flight was okay, but when we arrived in Guadeloupe our suitcases where not there. A long way of bad communication followed and eventually we did not get our suitcases for the whole trip. Eventually the suitcases arrived in Brussels, while we live in the Netherlands and they refused to bring then to us. We had to get them ourself. We are still trying to get a compensation for the fact we did not have our suitcases for the whole trip (over two weeks) and then waiting months to get them after the trip. They do not respond, offer just a couple off bucks, while airlines have fixed compensations they should pay in these cases. Awful company, bad communication and just not recommended.
RouteParis to Point a Pitre
Date FlownApril 2018

"not consider processing my complaint"

Not Verified | Hold onto your boarding pass if you want a refund. They cancel flights. The excuse given was the plane hit the gangplank and damaged a wing so a smaller plane was sent. Having 150 passengers in JFK. They knew at 5pm there was an issue yet let us stand in line from 9pm to midnight allowing passengers to board with criteria. It appeared it was who yelled the loudest. They in fact paid three days hotel which is how long it took to get the next flight. And in line many not involved in our error were also carried over from other flights. According to the hotel staff the airline knew at 5pm there was an issue. Yet we were made to stand for three hours. So now they have my confirmation. They paid my hotel, yet I have to prove I went on the rescheduled flight by giving them my boarding pass. A e-ticket from my original ticket is not enough. They know the flight had issues, they paid my hotel, they flew me on another flight. But will not consider processing my complaint without the boarding pass for the new replacement flight.
RouteJFK to CDG
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"very low cost airline"

Not Verified | Paris to New York. This is a very low cost airline and believe me it shows. The cabin luggage weight is 5KG, my was 8 kg and the agent was so rude and insisted that it had to be checked. I offered to pay excess baggage and he said check it or leave. I finally got to my seat and there were 2 overhead bins completely empty! I am Global Entry so when I landed I was through customs and immigration within 15 min. I then had to wait 90 min to get my 18" carry on. The aircraft is all coach 400+ passengers almost no empty seats. My bag was one of the very last to come off.
RouteParis to New York
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"it was better than I was expecting"

Trip Verified | Punta Cana to Paris. I was sceptical of this airline having read the reviews but there was a limited choice when booking airlines. Overall it was better than I was expecting. The plane was tidy although showing its age a bit. Good news was there was power at the seat. Bad the seats are not very comfortable especially for a long haul flight ok for a day flight but not for a night flight. There is a wifi entertainment system where you can watch entertainment, see info about destinations (which does not have any use due to the limited information) and flight tracking. Of course there is an upgraded option available for 10 EUR. Food was very average. Drink options good but have to pay. Free tea, coffee and water the later being freely available and the cabin crew visited the cabin regularly to top up. Be aware the check-in ques were bad so give yourself plenty of time. Also carry on luggage has a max weight of 5kg with it being checked a lot of the time.
AircraftA330-300
RoutePunta Cana to Paris
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"It was so unprofessional"

Trip Verified | New York JFK to Paris. I would not recommend anyone booking a flight with this airline. Two weeks ago, I had a flight leaving from JFK to CDG on Sunday night. When I got to the airport, there was no one from XL airways there. Over 150 passengers were waiting for a flight that never arrived. The worst part is that I tried getting in touch with the airline in New York and in France and there was no answer. The airline did not even have the decency to send me an email or text that there was no flight. The first time I heard from the airline was Tuesday night informing me that my flight will be leaving Thursday afternoon. It was so unprofessional and honestly appalling. The airline did not value any of the people’s time and did not even care to correspond with passengers until two days later. In addition, I lost money on a flight that I had leaving from Paris to another country.
RouteNew York JFK to Paris
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"inconvenience so many people"

Trip Verified | I was meant to fly out of JFK to Paris. I understand the conditions at JFK Terminal 4 were out of XL Airways' control however what was in XL Airways control was to inform its passengers of what was going on. There were no email or text updates about the delays in the flight therefore I traveled to the airport at the appropriate time only to find no information and no XL Airways staff. This is is inexcusable to have no reps in person and the only phone number we could reach was a french number which incurred international charges. The only reason I even found the number to call was because other passengers said they had found some announcements on the XL airways website. Why none of us could be informed via phone, email or any representatives in person is beyond me. How hard is it to send one email blast out to all passengers saying "We apologize for the inconvenience, please check our website for updates and we will continue to share news with you as soon as we have it. Thank you for your patience". Again I understand that the weather and the pipe burst are extenuating circumstances however it is within XL Airlines capabilities and responsibilities to communicate effectively with passengers and have a plan in case of such events that severely inconvenience so many people. It is now 24 hours after my flight was scheduled and I have yet to receive any information from them.
RouteNew York JFK to Paris

XL Airways France customer review

Trip Verified | New York to Paris. This is truly the absolute worst airline. They are unresponsive, incompetent, and unequivocally rude. They do not have representatives at the airport and the staff that they do employ refuse to answer customer's questions. I was scheduled to leave on a flight 2 days ago at 9:30 pm. The flight's gate kept being changed for hours after the departure time until it was ultimately CANCELLED around 2 am. Then, they had us stand in the line waiting for a representative to speak to each traveler individually about rescheduling our flights. We waited in this line until 4 am without anyone being spoken to. Then, they made an announcement that they had hotels reserved for us and that we were just waiting for buses to take us there. An hour later, they noted that no buses were on the way and that there were no hotel rooms reserved. They did not provide us with water or answers/information as to when our flight was being rescheduled to. The staff members insulted passengers calling us rude, disrespectful, and annoying for voicing our concern and frustration. They refused to speak to us and did not answer a single question. We could not leave the airport because they would not release our luggage. After we were forced to sleep on the bare floor of the airport, they said that the flight would be rescheduled to the next day at 7:30 pm. We lined up for check in at 4:30, as instructed. The XL representatives/staff members said that we were "misbehaving" so they chose to delay check in until 6 pm. We finally checked in. The flight was re-listed as being scheduled for 9:30 pm. We waited at the gate until 11:30, when they claimed that they were commencing boarding. We stood in line waiting for boarding until 12:45 pm. At this time, they CANCELLED the flight again. Then, XL threatened to have any passengers that complained or showed anger arrested. They instructed us to go pick up our luggage at the carousel. We went to the carousel, where we waited until 4 am. At 4 am, we were told that no luggage would be released to us, and that no other information would be given. I left the airport. I received an email at 3:00 pm notifying me that the flight was scheduled for 2:00 am the following morning. Then, this flight was also cancelled. 3 flights cancelled. They still have our luggage. They have given us no additional information.
RouteNew York to Paris