Xiamen Airlines

"impressed by this airline"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Wuyishan. It's a leisure trip to visit the homeland of tea: Wuyishan, Fujian province. Xiamen Airlines does a twice weekly direct flight from Hong Kong. They deploy a small 737 aircraft. Similar to Malaysia airlines when using this small aircraft, 4 cabin crew work tirelessly to keep the journey smooth and comfortable. With one aisle and 3x3 seating, the pitch is quite comfortable. A simple hot meal (in the style of a bento box) is served, and is sufficient for a short 90 minutes journey. 2 rounds of drinks is a nice touch. Seat has no power outlet or personal, we were provided visual entertainment in the form of overhead TV, with mainly Chinese program. Luckily, since January, mobile phones in flight mode are now allowed to be used on board. So you can still listen to your favourite music, or watch your own videos etc., on your phone or tablets. That really help kill time. If there is one complaint, it's the excessively warm cabin temperature. I am impressed by this airline. I wouldn't mind trying them for long haul flights in future.
RouteHong Kong to Wuyishan

"food was fantastic"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Fuzhou. The service in flight was good. The food was fantastic compare to Air China. Too many peoples onboard during the flight. We had to wait when we arrived Xiamen.
RouteSydney to Fuzhou
Date FlownNovember 2018

"first airline to make me cry"

Trip Verified | In my entire life of flying cheap, this is the first airline to ever make me cry, out of frustration and feeling beaten up. Not once, but twice. Booked a trip from Sydney to Fuzhou via Kunming. I arrived at Sydney airport only to find out that my Fuzhou - Kunming has been changed (amusingly and amazingly) to earlier than my flight from Sydney. Talked to service desk, couldn't help, gave me a number to call. Called all the numbers he gave, none worked. Went on Google and called the number online. They speak Chinese in their automated voicing system. I had to get the guy from the service desk to go through it for me. Eventually answered but staff was so slow and gentle (my flight was in 2h). He tried to book my connecting flight 2 days later. I was crying so much, begging him that we have schedules booked and everyone will leave me behind. I don't speak Chinese and I don't know anyone. Finally managed to find me a flight the next morning. Put me on hold. Came back half an hour later saying their system crashed. Told me he couldn't help anymore, and that I have to hang up and call back and go through the line again. It was 1h before my flight and I still couldn't get my flight confirmed. I was crying so much that the guy at the service desk told me to charge some international calling on my phone and then he helped me call the airline in China. They got it sorted out in like 15min. I went through everything, got to the gate and my flight was annouced delay. For the return flight I went to the airport at 4am for my flight back at 7am. The girl at check in counter gave me 5 words of horror : "We can't find your flight" Turned out flight was cancelled (ah yes again) and have to take the one 5 hours later. Fine. Waited a few hours, went to check in again. This time there were 5 other words of horror: "Your passport number is incorrect." Uhm... Sorry? Double checked my booking. My passport was entered correctly. So imagine being by yourself, running around China airport trying to get this sorted when they don't speak English. No, seriously, save yourself the trouble and never fly with this airline. No matter how good their in-flight service is, it can't compensate all the time and emotions I have wasted on this. Never again. Period. I'm cheap but this is way beyond imagination. I am now making sure non of my friends or family is flying with them.
RouteSydney to Fuzhou via Kunming

"no personal TV"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Cebu to Xiamen return. Economy: food OK service okay but no personal TV. Business class: food OK service good but still no personal tv, I was given an ipad to watch movies.
RouteCebu to Xiamen
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"Better than Delta or United"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Manila via Qingdao. Most impressed. Better than any Delta or United flight I've ever used. I was fed many times and received respectful treatment. I was particularly impressed by Xiamen airport. The view from the taxi port was as stunning as a ranked wonder of the world. LAX was particularly unremarkable. For an international airport it was just pathetic. Maybe 40 years ago LAX's art deco design was charming, but it just looks like a roadside tourist trap now. Doesn't even have usable wifi or updated drinking fountains.
RouteLos Angeles to Manila via Qingdao
Date FlownOctober 2018

"try to avoid Xiamen Airlines"

(China)

Trip Verified | Beijing to Fuzhou, and the experience is not good at all. It disappointed me a lot. I have to admit the food & beverage are decent. But I got cold before the flight so I tried to ask for a blanket from the cabin crew. The lady was not so nice and showed obvious impatience for such normal request; she told me she will remember but she never got back to me. The AC was strong and I had to suffer it for 3hrs.If possible, I will try to avoid Xiamen Airlines and also not recommend my friends to take it.
RouteBeijing to Fuzhou
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"belligerent towards us"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Manila via Xiamen. Horrible service and no English. They lost my bags and didn't give compensation. 15% refund on being refused boarding without a reason. Worst airline. They pretend they can't understand English and care less about foreign travellers. Intentionally belligerent towards us.
RouteVancouver to Manila via Xiamen
Date FlownJune 2018

"comfortable and clean"

Trip Verified | Xiamen to Guangzhou. Whilst it was an old aircraft it was very comfortable and clean. The crew were lovely and for a short flight the food was very good. The facilities at Xiamen airport are mostly supplied by the airline and are first class.
RouteXiamen to Guangzhou
Date FlownJuly 2018

"airline is the biggest scam"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Bangkok via Xiamen. This airline is the biggest scam! I booked a flight from Los Angeles to Bangkok with three hours layover in Xiamen city. At the airport I was told that I can’t use Xiamen airlines because I don’t have Chinese transit visa. Xiamen airport does not have transit area for transit passengers so everyone has to go through customs, get out of the airport, and then walk back in to check in for the next flight. Be advised, you can’t get out of the airport unless you have Chinese visa. I have never heard that you need to get a transit visa for couple of hours layover. I was told to cancel my round trip with Xiamen airlines and get a refund. After 6-7 hrs of phone calls with the airline, I was issued 15% refund of the total cost. The agent explained that somehow my outbound ticket was activated (I flew with a different airline but they still activated my ticket!) and the “activated” ticket was 85% of the cost and I’m only getting 15% refund for the return flight. Don’t be fulled by this airlines! There is a reason they offer cheaper prices... they will streal your money and you will end up paying double.
RouteLos Angeles to Bangkok via Xiamen
Date FlownJuly 2018

"stay clear of Xiamen Airlines"

(China)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Xian via Xiamen. I had to book Xiamen Airlines because I would have to have an extra day in Hong Kong, so decided to stay in Xiamen over night. The flight was first delayed 1 hour then 2 and the 3:55 that’s almost 4 hours and another airlines flight to Xiamen went through so it was not the weather that caused the delay, by the time the third delay appeared on the board it was too late to cancel my hotel booking and get a refund, once I got out at Xiamen airport I had only two hours between my flight and next flight check-in, I first asked for a compensation, they said sorry, then later I asked for a hotel refund since clearly this was their mess up that led me to the mess up, also denied, then was told that the airport free hotel had no place and the lounges wouldn’t open for another two hours, will have to take my next flight soon and will have to have a sit down with a manager of some sort, of this is how they run their business I would stay clear of Xiamen Airlines and be careful considering to booking a ticket with them especially involving a non direct location.
RouteHong Kong to Xian via Xiamen