Xiamen Airlines

"crew were really pleasant"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Xiamen via Amsterdam. The crew were really pleasant and went out of their way to be helpful. Very clean plane and comfortable seat - the usual lie flat. Entertainment was so poor with a very small selection of movies. Maybe we expect more as the western/mid-eastern airlines give you a really decent selection. The food was below par and no great shakes at all. Big no-no - they did not serve any vodka! This is a very first for me on any airline worldwide and I fly 30-40 times a year. With gin is this possibly the worlds most popular white spirt? I only drink an odd vodka and tonic so I went without. However, for the value and it was an offer, I had to give 4 stars. Other airlines for my destination were €4-500 more expensive and that is a big saving. If the fare narrows to €2-250 I would fly another.
RouteDublin to Xiamen via Amsterdam
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"probably the last time"

Trip Verified | Los Angles to Jakarta via Xiamen and a stop in Qingdao that was not mentioned during reservation. Very competent crew, attentive and I found them to have an OK English but not fluent. The food was good for the most part. Poor management with long layovers. The air line damaged one piece of the luggage that they would not acknowledge( was soaked in oil) also the airline would not honor the flown miles which was very odd after communicating with them numerous times regarding that. It was the first time flying with them and probably the last time.
RouteXiamen to Los Angeles
Date FlownJune 2019

"overall a good flight"

Trip Verified | New York to Nanning via FuzhouThis was overall a good flight. Very competent crew. Very attentive and I found them to have an OK command of English but not fluent. From JFK to FOC the seats were comfortable and the IFE was adequate. The food was good for the most part. When drinks got low the flight attendants brought another without me having to ask. We had about a 15 hour layover in Fuzhou but they gave us a premium hotel room plus free transportation. The aircraft from Fuzhou to Nanning was changed to a single class 738. We were reimbursed the difference in cost between business class and economy and given priority boarding and our seats were left open in the middle so that we had more room. The flight was about 40 minutes late leaving Fuzhou but that was an air traffic control issue and not Xiamen Airlines issue. Well worth the money and I recommend this airline. My only issue are long layovers because I have another one on the upcoming trip home.
RouteNew York to Nanning via Fuzhou
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"airline has great food"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Melbourne via Xiamen. This was a long journey for me, from LAX to Melbourne via Xiamen. This airline has great food. The portion sizes were big enough, and they came through fairly frequently with drinks as well. The meals themselves were good. I loved the Chinese food selections, and the highlights for me were the breakfast rice porridge with egg and vegetables, and a fish and rice dish with raw salmon on the side, and a stir-fried noodle dish. The staff were generally friendly and nice. Inflight entertainment was good. Seats were comfy - I'm pretty small so maybe that's why. The journey from LAX to Xiamen was actually via Qingdao, and the journey from Xiamen to Melbourne was via Hangzhou and this was stated in my ticket. The wifi didn't connect on my phone.
RouteLos Angeles to Melbourne via Xiamen
Date FlownAugust 2019

"we missed the Chengdu flight"

Trip Verified | Xiamen to Los Angeles. It was the worst experience ever. We had 2 flights, the one we did not take which was Chengdu to Xiamen and then Xiamen to LA. The persons who dealt with us were extremely rude. Saying we could not take our flight to LA because we missed the Chengdu flight. They told us it was not their problem and if we wanted to leave the airport we would have to pay almost one thousand dollars. The flight was not even full. We were on time at the check in and they treated us badly. I would never flight on that airline again.
RouteXiamen to Los Angeles
Date FlownJune 2019

"all unbelievably awful"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | I had 4 flights with Xiamen Air during one trip. First flight (Guiyang-Fuzhou) was delayed for an hour. 2nd flight (Fuzhou - Kuala Lumpur) was fine and with no problem. 3rd flight (Kuala Lumpur - Fuzhou) was delayed for two hours, 4th flight (Fuzhou - Guiyang) was cancelled. They replaced last flight with the flight next morning (provided transfer and hotel) and this flight is delayed too! Right now we're sitting inside the airplane and waiting for the info on how long delay is. Each time their excuse was - air traffic. That's all unbelievably awful!
RouteGuiyang to Kuala-Lumpur via Fuzhou
Date FlownMay 2019

"left my luggage behind"

Not Verified | Amsterdam to Taipei via Xiamen. The airline left my luggage behind in Amsterdam when I had one of the transfers, probably due to short time to change planes. The beginning was fine- they took all the details, they knew exactly where my luggage was left, so they looked very professional. I could not be at home at the time they had scheduled the courier to arrive, so I asked if the luggage can be delivered at a specific time, which was still within their working hours. They agreed to that. The courier has not arrived. They did not leave any message about that. Then, the next day when I called, they were surprised the luggage was not delivered, and they asked me to wait at home all day (9am-5pm) to receive the courier, despite I mentioned I need to go out and get something to eat. My friend who speaks Chinese called, and my luggage will not be delivered today. The staff has misinformed me and I would have waited in vain all day sitting in the flat. At one point one staff member because he did not seem to understand what I am saying just hang me up. Before the flight, I also send an inquiry, and they did not answer at all. Thus, the airline completely lacks communication. Otherwise, the flight is well-attended, 2 hot meals and one breakfast for 10.5 hour flight, and comfortable seats.
RouteAmsterdam to Taipei via Xiamen
Date FlownMay 2019

"for the Chinese not others"

Trip Verified | Chongqing to Xiamen. An airline that would be for the Chinese people not others, we had two flights with them Chongqing to Xiamen then on to Ho Chi Min. Both flights had delays of over an hour, food was pretty bad, although some English spoken it wasn’t understandable.
RouteChongqing to Xiamen
Date FlownApril 2019

"because it was cheaper"

Trip Verified | Just finished a round trip LAX - Qingdao - xiamen - Taipei. The return trip didn't involve Qingdao. I picked this airline because it was cheaper than China and Eva air. There were actually even cheaper fares with Air China and China eastern but I refuse to fly with them due to the horrendous reviews. 787 for the Long haul were nice. Planes were fairly new. Good amount of pitch. Movie selections were limited but adequate. Food was terrible for our taste. The kids meal for my 11 year old was also mostly inedible. Service was great however. Flight attendants had great attitude and seemed to be working nonstop. 737 between Xiamen and Taipei was old and dirty. Don't understand why they would also offer a meal for such a short flight. I hate wasting food but couldn't eat that one either. Transit at Qingdao was confusing. We were given the wrong arrival cards twice so had to rewrite them 3 times. Transit hotel in Xiamen was free for our 8 hour layover. Hotel was not in good shape. I would rate it 2.5 star. On our return trip, we took the hotel option again and asked if we could pay extra for a better hotel. He said no and insisted to give us 3 rooms for the 5 of us. Then he entered in one of the names wrong on the reservation. I now have some personal information of some guy named Dustin. The hotel this time is a different. Not as bad, maybe a 3.5 star. But both hotels didn't have non-smoking rooms. I overheard another guest requesting a non-smoking room and was rudely told to come back down and ask for another room she didn't like the room. We don't think we'll fly Xiamen again. Layover in Xiamen would be nice if the city had much to offer.
AircraftBoeing 737 / 787
RouteTaipei to Los Angeles via Xiamen
Date FlownMarch 2019

Xiamen Airlines customer review

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Los Angeles via Xiamen. My wife was not allowed to board the plane on March 14. They would not work with us at all on rebooking us or refunding ticket even though she arrived at airport 4 hours before scheduled boarding. She has Thailand Passport and so they would not allow her to fly through Xiamen. I had to scramble and book very expensive flight for that night through Philippine Airlines. I will never book with this company again!
RouteBangkok to Los Angeles via Xiamen