Wizz Air

"the flight should have been cancelled"

Trip Verified | I bought return tickets for my entire family (5 persons, one of which 3 years old) for the above mentioned flights in October 2019. The flight was scheduled for 19 May 2020. Given the worldwide pandemic crisis, lockdown restrictions were set in place by the government of Romania and UK. As such, I called WizzAir customer service at the beginning of April 2020 to enquire about the flight status. I was advised that the flight was still going ahead as planned and that passengers will be informed about cancellations due to Covid19 via email (when applicable). When I asked about the notice period I was informed there is not a set notice period and it could vary from 2 weeks to next-day cancellation notice. WizzAir personnel advised me not to cancel my booking as yet and wait for further communication closer to the flight date, and that if I still wanted to cancel the flights due to the Covid19 pandemic and further restrictions inposed by government then I should do so 14 days prior to flight date to ensure I am not charged additional cancellation fees. I called customer service again on the 1st of May 2020 and I was advised the flight is still going ahead as scheduled and if I wanted to cancel the flights WizzAir will charge 60 Euros/person/flight. This is unacceptable considering the current worldwide situation, and more specifically the restrictions imposed by the government. The UK is under lockdown with no end date in sight (at the point of this complaint), which means all non-essential travel is not permitted. Additionally, social distancing restrictions are further imposed by the Romanian Government and the UK government, including 2 meters distance between people. These measures were not respected. As such, the flight should have been cancelled, in line with government guidelines. It is not acceptable for a company not to adhere to Government guidelines and put customers at risk. I find it appalling that flights are not cancelled in advance by WizzAir (given specific lockdown instructions set by the government) and that passengers are required to cancel the flights more than 14 days prior to the flight so that the cancellation fees are not increased. It is absurd to charge the cancellation fee per person per flight and not per booking, meaning that the customer receives a 10th of the price paid. Based on the information I received from the WizzAir staff, the flight cancellation period varies from 2 weeks to 1 day. This means WizzAir deliberately does not adhere to WHO and Government (country specific) guidelines and restrictions, so that they can retain most of the price paid by customers when booking flights. Aside from this blatant disregard for pandemic restrictions, the customer service personnel was rude and dismissive over the phone, with no willingness to discuss the options available for customers. When I was given the information relating to the cost of cancellation, the call handler was abrupt and repeatedly asked me "Should I cancel this or not?" without allowing me the time to process the information received and to calculate/ understand how much will all this cost.
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"won't even allow flight changes"

Trip Verified | Due to Covid-19, the Hungarian government has banned entry for British Nationals. Wizz Air has decided they will not only refuse refunds, but they won't even allow flight changes for those who are unable to travel. They would be forced to prevent me from flying due to my nationality, and yet tell me that my flight is still flying and I therefore cannot change it. Considering they have applied for and received UK government assistance, this is appalling behaviour. The government needs to attach strings to their bailout money.
RouteLuton to Budapest

"an awful company!"

Not Verified | Wizz Air is an awful company! I booked 2 tickets for 2 people from Luton to Satu Mare, the main reason being my cousin's wedding. Due to Covid-19 the wedding was cancelled so I wanted my money back or at least credit for future travel. First of all, they modified the return flight on 15.03 before knowing the wedding was cancelled. I accepted as they pressed me with emails every day to make a quick decision. After 1 week from conformation, the wedding was called off. I asked them for a refund but no chance. My partner, the second passenger was diagnosed with cancer recently. He is unable to travel in the near future. I could not be bothered to call them again, given the amount they charge for calls. No email address at all for correspondence! I filled a complain and got in touch with my card provider. Now I am waiting 14 days for Wizz Air to answer to my complain, otherwise the card provider will open a case for me. They are obscured people who try everything just to get money out of customers. Unfortunately they have monopoly in many European Eastern countries and especially in smaller towns airports. I wish I have accepted the refund when they modified the return flight.
RouteLondon to Cluj Napoca
Date FlownDecember 2019

"not cancelling the flight"

Trip Verified | I have a ticket for a flight from Bucharest to Luton for 24 April, but in Romania the government suspended all flights from and to UK. Wizz air is not cancelling the flight as they will have to pay the money back to customers.
RouteBucharest to Luton
Date FlownMay 2019

"prefers to fly with empty planes"

(Bulgaria)

Not Verified | Sofia to London. My husband and I were supposed to travel to London and visit our daughter for Easter (Outbound airport: Sofia). For obvious reasons, unfortunately, we had to cancel our trip. After trying to reach out to Wizz Air via phone multiple times (PS. not to mention the costs for doing so) without success, we tried to cancel our flights online. According to the information on the airline's website, we could do so against GBP 40 or so cancelation fee per person. The remaining amount - i.e. the difference between what we paid and cancellation fees - was supposed to be loaded as a voucher/credit on my Wizz Air account. Well, nothing like that! Majority of the airlines out there, including low budget ones, waved their cancellation and rebooking fees more than a month ago. It seems that Wizz Air is trying to make "the best" out of the current situation and prefers to fly with empty planes, thus more CO2 emissions, overtaking reasonable actions and providing fair customer service. Hoping that someone from Wizz Air reads this, I just want to say: We will get out of this situation, we will be traveling again, but it will never ever be with you, dirty speculators! You may survive the next few months by scamming people, but sure as hell your future won't be as bright considering your ridiculously unethical business model.
RouteSofia to London
Date FlownApril 2020

"6.5 hours without water, food"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Budapest to Tel Aviv in December 2019. 6.5 hours without water, food. There was 6 hours delay, 4 hours on the plane and the staff didn't give us water or food, not even to go to the toilet. 2 hours from the six hours in a small place with a small toilet, no food, no drinks only security. After take off they brought us water and sandwich. When i asked them to explain why, they said nothing happened it is not my business.
RouteBudapest to Tel Aviv
Date FlownDecember 2019

"Great overall experience"

(Hungary)

Trip Verified | Eindhoven to Budapest with Wizz Air. Great overall experience. Speedy check in with friendly ground staff. Smooth boarding process. On board, with only 18 passengers, we were free to choose where to sit. Cabin crew extra friendly and eager to please.
RouteEindhoven to Budapest
Date FlownApril 2020

"not treated with respect"

Not Verified | Birmingham to Bucharest. It used to be good value for money, but with all taxes attached you better choose another company that will offer you a good service. If you need to call customer services get ready to pay a massive amount for nothing. I tried to change my flight date (for two tickets I paid £130 and to change dates after taxes etc. the amount came up to £377, ridiculous. At the end I had to buy a new ticket that cost me £250). So disappointed about the way customers are treated by this fly company. I will definitely look for a better option in the future. At the end, customers are the one keeping travel industries on top, and if not treated with respect customers have maybe better choices as the market is full of flying option.
RouteBirmingham to Bucharest

"incompetent cowboys"

Not Verified | I will never use this company again, first we get an email stating that we cannot fly. So we don't book in, then we get another email stating we can claim our refund after two weeks. This claim will be covered via another email, other couples we were flying with receive said email and have no issue. Our email doesn't come, we ring, 40 mins on the phone, they put the phone down because they can't sort our request. Another 30 mins on the phone, "we are not doing refunds anymore - you can only have flight credits!" Another statement they made is we could only claim our return flight? 3 Weeks on and I am still chasing a refund. I would rather walk home then fly with these incompetent cowboys.
RouteBirmingham to Krakow
Date FlownMarch 2020

"stealing money from customers"

Not Verified | Luton to Poznan. Wizz Air is stealing money from customers that flights were cancelled! If your flight is cancelled due to COVID 19 you get an email saying you can claim 120% of original fair to your wizz account or 100% refund to your original payment method. I went to the wizz air website logged in and followed the refund instructions. It said that I need to first claim 120% of the original fair to my wizz account and then I can claim the 100% original payment to my card which I found strange! Why can I just claim 100% refund straight away! However, then I noticed that the 120% of the original fare is actually less than it should be by around £10. I am sure they do it on purpose as probably not many people will notice this and they can make money on it! I then had to call a customer service (as this is the only way to contact wizz air) and I was told to send a screenshots of the offered refund to the provided email address and call back next day. Already spent 30 mins on the phone that cost me fortune. I called back next day as advised and I was told that I should have called starlight after sending that email and that they cannot assist me. I then started raging on the phone and eventually the lady said she can process the refund for me. I spend another 30 mins on the phone and again paid fortune for it.
RouteLuton to Poznan