WestJet Airlines

"45 minutes to provide our baggage"

Not Verified | I was disgusted and taken aback with the service that was provided by Westjet. First I booked my tickets for Vegas in March,2020. However Covid hit and I had to obviously cancel my trip. The airline wouldn’t give me a refund as I cancelled the trip but they weren’t taking into consideration the fact that this was cancelled due to a global pandemic. I received travel credits and decided to book a return ticket from Toronto- Vancouver. The flight from Vancouver was delayed last minute. We were waiting at the airport to board for the longest time. After we landed, it took them 45 minutes to provide us with our baggage. The staff was unapologetic and rude.
RouteVancouver to Toronto
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"still have not received my refund"

Not Verified | I was scheduled to fly to Vancouver via Calgary September 2020 (over a year ago). In June of 2020 Westjet cancelled the flights with no alternative. They deposited my payment into the Travel Bank. I decided that I wanted a refund. In November 2020 my refund application was accepted. I still have not received my refund (after numerous phone calls and Facebook chats). I always get the same standard response "it will take many months and they will be responded to in order of when the flights were supposed to happen". Any suggestions how I can push ahead with my refund ? I'm amazed that when purchasing ,the Mastercard is charged in about 30 seconds but when I want a refund it takes almost a year ... and counting !
RouteToronto to Vancouver
Date FlownOctober 2020

"my worst flying experience"

Trip Verified | Horrific experience across all fronts. Only comparison could be Spirit or Frontier in the US. I booked a direct flight JFK to YYC, this was canceled and I was rebooked onto a connecting flight through Atlanta (4 hrs out if the way!) that now departed 10 hrs earlier and arrived later. Changing flight online was not possible, I gave up trying to reach a live person after sitting in hold for 4 hours! This is as budget an operation as I've ever seen, and I will never fly them again for any price. The check in process was awful as they don't even have counters anywhere, when I was flying the return there was 1 person working the counter with a line of 49 people as I counted. Truly my worst flying experience ever.
RouteNew York to Atlanta via Calgary
Date FlownAugust 2021

"deplaned for asking to move to an empty seat"

Trip Verified | I was deplaned for asking to move to an empty seat. My request was refused as the attendant stated there were no empty seats except middle seats on the plane despite there being two empty seats in my row. I was in considerable pain due to trying to move away from the passenger next to me as he was leaning against me unpleasantly. I suffer from cervical arthritis and had paid for a seat which was next to an empty middle seats. Other attendants were allowing people to move but my attendant must have been in a bad mood because he point blank refused and then condescendingly told me I would be okay and to get myself together when I became upset. He then decided to have me deplaned with no justification or reason. I was then asked to pay $1500 for a new flight two days later. Needless to say I declined and flew home with another airline. I will never fly with WestJet again. Their mental health awareness is negligible, they just abandoned a distressed passenger in a foreign airport with no explanation as to why.
RouteLondon Gatwick to Calgary via Vancouver
Date FlownAugust 2021

"extremely disappointed and annoyed"

Not Verified | We haven’t even left the ground yet and I am already extremely disappointed and annoyed. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 6:45am, we had no issues boarding and were prepared to leave by that time. The plane had technical difficulties with a computer not working properly which took half and hour to fix. We then left the gate and headed towards the runway where we then waited another 15 minutes. We turned around and we told the the technical issue had appeared again and that maintenance had to come check it. We have now been sitting here at the gate for 45 minutes with no telling when we will leave. We also have a passenger on the plane who has had his mask under his chin this entire time and has not been reminded to wear it by any of the staff. By the time we leave we will be almost 2 hours behind schedule. Plane should’ve been checked before everyone boarded, everyone is annoyed.
RouteOttawa to Vancouver
Date FlownAugust 2021

"We waited 50 mins in line."

Not Verified | Arrived at airport 90 mins prior to flight. Not many reps to help with check-in and because of that there was huge lineup. We waited 50 mins in line. When we got to the rep for check-in, she said you wont be able to make it. We were 45 mins early than the flight time right at that moment. They didn’t give us any credit for ticket nor they offered any other flight. We spent 2-3 hours on the phone with their customer service, didn’t get any response either. This is the worst airline experience i ever have.
RouteCalgary to Toronto
Date FlownAugust 2021

"we spent 11 hours at the airport"

Trip Verified | My husband and I are fairly well travelled, we needed this trip to say “goodbye” to a parent. Time and timing was essential and being put on a connecting flight 24 hours later was in my opinion unacceptable. Yes they gave us a voucher for a hotel stay, yet check out was 11am and our flight weren’t until 10pm the next day. They wouldn’t allow us let check out so we spent 11 hours at the airport. On the new flight, instead of our booked premium seats they gave us middle seats in different rows, near the back of the plane. I don’t usually write reviews, unless I can give a 5 star and share a fabulous experience. This however was unacceptable. A handful West jet employees were helpful and very kind and friendly, however as a company and policies etc and the way we indecently treated is by far unacceptable. I just hope you truly do care about people and are willing to Improve.
RouteCalgary to Gatwick via Toronto
Date FlownAugust 2021

"haven't refunded after 61 weeks"

Trip Verified | Still haven't refunded my travel agent 61 weeks after the flight was cancelled. Clearly the case with many many other people. Won't talk to me directly, or to my travel agent according to them.
RouteGatwick to Calgary
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"such unprofessional behaviour"

Not Verified | I had a fight booked for my 16 year old daughter to take (alone), on an economy flight. WestJet delayed the flight twice to 1AM departure. I stood in line for 40 mins at the airport early to ask if there was a possibility to bump her to an earlier flight. I even told the agent I would pay. All she kept repeating to me was “nothing we can do for you, you booked economy which means no changes” I tried to explain I wasn’t making changes, they did, twice… so I will pay. She cut me off again and again and wouldn’t let me speak. When I asked her to let me finish asking my question she accused me of yelling at her and like a Child kept repeating don’t yell at me. asked to speak to a manager. Her manager was at the kiosk next to her apparently, she said something to him and he without even looking my way said “we can’t do anything for her”. I completely understand if there is no flexibility with economy flights, they would not even let me request if I could purchase a ticket on an earlier fight. I have never witnessed such unprofessional behaviour. Employees are representing you very poorly, and you’ve lost my family as customers who fly frequently.
RouteCalgary to Abbotsford
Date FlownAugust 2021

"I should be able to reach someone in a reasonable amount of time"

Not Verified | I received a change notification for an upcoming flight. The new flight is not appropriate for me so I wanted to change to a new flight. I tried this online and was unable, so called WestJet to schedule a new flight. I have been holding for approx. 10 hrs to get hold of a WestJet agent, and booking a call back was scheduled for 7 days in the future. I can wait for this callback, but I can see that the flight the does work for me is at a premium price, so I assume it is almost full. I have accommodations booked so I am limited in the days that I can travel. I have been an avid WestJet fan for many years, and I do understand that COVID has created significant challenges for all companies that are dealing with COVID, but they really do need to get this sorted out. I should be able to reach someone in a reasonable amount of time, or have a call back in a reasonable amount of time, which is certainly not the case right now. Please get it together WestJet!