WestJet Airlines

"staff must have been confused"

Trip Verified | Poor customer service and staff lie to sell you seat upgrades. Announcement at the gate was offering seat upgrades. Upon enquiring I was told they were larger seats and a meal was provided. I was also told if I purchased the upgrade, the seat I had already paid for would be refunded by calling their 1-888-WestJet phone number. Wrong! All the seats on the plane were the same size. My $160 upgraded seat was actually narrower because the food tray was in the side of the seat. The “meal” was a mini muffin, 2 slices of cheese and 2 thin slices of apple. What a rip off!! When I phoned Westjet I was on hold for an hour and forty five minutes to be told it’s their policy they do not give refunds. I indicated my displeasure about being lied to about seat size and the refund. Was told my complaint would be escalated to a higher up who would call back within 24-48 hours. Four days later I get a call back and they say sorry no refunds allowed and the staff must have been confused about the larger seats because some planes do have larger seats. WestJet is just a money grab and will not get another cent out of me!

"there was no WiFi"

Not Verified | Was a fantastic flight to Cancun with WestJet Airlines. However on the way back there was no WiFi therefore there were no movies to watch. Would have been great to have known that prior to leaving Cancun so we could download a movie ourselves.
RouteVictoria to Cancun
Date FlownMarch 2019

"not fly these guys again"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Toronto. No Veggie option, ran out of water in the toilet and the staff seemed to resent having to look after the customers. I am pretty sure I will not fly with these guys again.
RouteVancouver to Toronto

"offered no compensation"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Thunder Bay. We (family of 4) were returning home from vacation when we were “randomly selected” and removed from our 9:00am flight and rescheduled for the gruelling overnight 11:15pm flight. We were not notified through email or the app of the change. Showed up at the airport at 6:00am and found out then. We were advised of our flight change and that we were not sitting together on the next flight even though we paid extra for seat assignments. WestJet offered no compensation whatsoever! And I had to take another day off work.
RouteLas Vegas to Thunder Bay
Date FlownMarch 2019

"unaware of their new policies"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Vancouver. I had to book short notice. So unpleasant sitting through 3 flights (Caribbean to Western Canada) with zero entertainment, no snacks and rude service. I was in an exceptionally bad mood given that I had to leave my support dog at home because I was unaware of their new policies and they offer no grace period although my documentation meets the content requirements they need. It "has to be on the new form", period. One positive is that the attendants on my flights were not screeching into the speaker.
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"one-way ticket for $920"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Vancouver. I bought my ticket a month ago, under $500 for both ways. Now, I have to add my 4 years old grand daughter to my return flight. I called WestJet to get a seat for her. Their only option is a one-way ticket for $920. If this is not a rip off the customer, what else it can be?
Date FlownMay 2018

"direct flights leaving earlier"

Trip Verified | Edmonton to Kelowna. I booked a “Basic” fair for the first time with WestJet not fully understanding just how ridiculous their restrictions on it are. I was able to get off work early, arrive at the airport early and seen that there were two separate direct flights leaving earlier that had empty seats. They refused to allow me on either plane unless I bought a new ticket. They would not allow me to pay the fare difference and charge me a change fee. I have flown with WestJet more times then I can count and this is the treatment they offer? I will never be booking another flight with WestJet again.
RouteEdmonton to Kelowna

"absolutely excellent service"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Puerto Plata. We had absolutely excellent service. We were a whole day late caught up in the storm and OPP closed the roads! We were half way to Toronto. We called and Westjet got us on the next morning and refunded our seat selection fees as we were just happy to get any seat. They also extended our stay by one day to account for our lost day, included transfers to and from the airport, and the one day all inclusive at the hotel. I can't thank one particular person as the rep at the hotel and at least three other reps were involved. My thought is all do their best for you. Mother Nature plays a huge role in winter flights so be kind and realize it's not in Westjets control.
RouteToronto to Puerto Plata
Date FlownMarch 2019

"I got a middle seat instead"

Trip Verified | Calgary to Kelowna. I had paid and booked a seat in the Emergency row-an aisle seat 10C. Then when I show up the plane configuration was changed, so I got a middle seat instead. Now I'm 6'4" with a painful knee and I needed the aisle, but they gave it to someone else. Uncomfortably sat between two obese men the whole trip. So I paid 300$ plus 20$ one-way for seat selection and I still get a miserable trip. 320$ one-way for a 49 minute trip is garbage, but at least I should get my seat. I am starting to hate this once great airline WestJet.
RouteCalgary to Kelowna
Date FlownMarch 2019

"case of unnecessary neglect"

Trip Verified | Edmonton to Toronto via Halifax. WestJet has amazing flight attendants. My husband and I are both visually impaired and they treated us extremely well, always asking what we needed instead of assuming they knew, making sure we were provided with escorts to all gates and very personable. All airport staff were superb except for Pearson international. That airport is horrible. We had a weather related diverted flight. We attempted to land at our destination, had to pull up, landed in Quebec for quite a while, not even an offer to feed us as we were stuck on the plane for ages, then up again to land at Pearson for the night, we were assured we would have escort to our new flight home and they forgot about us, we tracked someone down as we could have never found our gate, then the Pearson WestJet staff member took us to the wrong gate twice, we were last on and they paged us several times. Very bad blunder, busy or not you don't do that to people who cannot see and especially after such an emotional flight scenario. Head office should have fed our plane in QC and they should crack down on Pearson staff regarding the needs of the disabled. Clear case of unnecessary neglect. Otherwise the trip was great and even the drama of taking off and landing so much on our crazy trip home was perfect except the one incident at Pearson that almost made us miss our flight home, we had already been awake for more then 24 hrs by then so you can just imagine how stressful it was. Again I want to stress our frustration is Toronto Pearson specifically not WestJet overall but, it would be appropriate for WestJet to acknowledge the neglect by their staff.
RouteEdmonton to Toronto via Halifax