WestJet Airlines

"an amazing service"

Trip Verified | I would like to say my appreciation to WestJet for an amazing service. In times of a pandemic they are available with a smile to quickly and professionally assist with any issues, reschedule your flight, find best possible alternative. I wish all other airlines can learn from operating practices of WestJet.
RouteToronto to Liberia
Date FlownDecember 2020

"Horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | I booked a non-stop 4h flight for $400 from Orlando to Toronto April 2021, on 1st Fe. Two weeks later, they decided to cancel my original flight, switch it to a one-stop, 12h, red-eye flight, landing at Toronto at 12:05am! If I insist to the original, they would charge additional $900! WestJet changed my trip dates to a time that didn't work for me — and refused to issue a refund when requested---it is still almost 45 days ahead. I don't want the credit. I want my money back. Horrible customer service.
RouteOrlando to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"I got useless westjet dollars"

Trip Verified | I booked a vacation for May 2020 before Covid, paid for several upgrades. Then they decided to cancel my flight and not tell me about it. But instead of getting the refund, I got useless westjet dollars that are expiring in a few months, and they didn't even credit the full amount The country is on a lockdown, so I can't travel, and their phone agents' response is: "please call if your account expires, we will see if Westjet provides an option to extend". Bottom line is, they took my money and are now hiding behind a clause in their contract. Avoid this airline at all costs.
RouteToronto to Cancun
Date FlownMay 2020

"I'm disgusted and a bit shocked"

Trip Verified | Westjet bumped my departing flight twice and yet refused to refund me directly if I cancelled, opting to keep my money where I couldn't access it for anything but Westjet flights. Basically you held me hostage to your airline once I committed to one of your low-cost sales, but when I was bumped I had to pay a higher price to get a new date. Which is completely wrong of course. Then you charged me an extra $179 US to return home with my folding bicycle, which is highway robbery. On the departing flight you'd charged me only $50 Canadian. Why was the amount suddenly in US funds? I was in Mexico at the time. This time with my bike once I'd committed to taking it along. Before the return flight you had no warning or information regarding the PCR test I would need to be allowed to board the aircraft and return to Canada. It was just luck that I came across that crucial news item elsewhere. No advance warning that I needed the ArriveCAN app or the ABTraceTogether apps prior to boarding either. On the 6-hour flight home they offered me two small bottles of water and 2 biscuits, that's it. Frankly I'm disgusted and a bit shocked. Westjet has morphed from a cheerful local discount carrier into something slimy and negligent.I've canceled the credit card I had with you and wouldn't use you again except maybe for a very simple, heavily-discounted direct flight after Covid is in the past.
RouteHuatulco to Calgary
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"They went above and beyond"

Not Verified | The staff were amazing. They went above and beyond to make my mom comfortable and safe flying home after major surgery. Everyone was so friendly and cheerful. I was so thankful as I knew it could be stressful for my mom but they made everything much easier.
RouteVancouver to Kelowna

"Horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | WestJet unilaterally changed my trip dates to dates that didn't work for me — and refused to issue a refund when requested. I don't want the credit. I want my money back. Horrible customer service.
RouteVancouver to Ottawa
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"Where are you WestJet? Are you enjoying my money?"

Not Verified | This has got to be the worst customer service experience I have ever had with a company. I booked my flight and then 2 days later they cancelled it without even telling me directly. They then said that I could not get my money back. Fast forward two months and they send out a broken refund form that cannot be filled out as it required a rewards ID that I don't have because I never signed up for their rewards program. I reached out to their customer service team and received no answer, for two months. Where are you WestJet? Are you enjoying my money? In all seriousness I strongly recommend that you look at another airline for your travel plans. WestJet is not a professional company and I will never be using their services again. There is no acceptable reason for a digital refund to take "up to 6 months" as WestJet says.
RouteToronto to Moncton
Date FlownNovember 2020

"A complete waste of time"

Trip Verified | A complete waste of time, they changed flights so many times that I had to cancel. I need to be in Thunder Bay at a certain time to catch a bus for work, and after they changed the flights the only other flights they had landed way to late or 4 days early. The best part of all is that they won’t give your money back! Zero stars, over an hour and a half on the phone, never again.
RouteSaskatoon to Thunder Bay
Date FlownDecember 2020

"WestJet's level of customer service is from a pre-internet era"

Trip Verified | I booked a direct flight to Palm Springs from Vancouver in Premium Class for November 26, 2020. Two days ago I received an email saying they had had to change my flight. OK, times are tough I realize. But, they booked me for November 25, 2020 with a layover all night at my expense in Calgary, AB. Very funny but I have to work November 25th till at least 7pm so I would not be able to do it. I went to cancel my ticket online and am told that I cannot do it online. There were all sorts of claims on the WestJet website about how wonderful it is. Plus it bombards my Inbox with endless irrelevant emails. You have to telephone WestJet. Last time I had to do that (last month) because of another problem (in fact an error in fact) on the website, I waited 2 hours for a return call and 30 seconds into it the operator hung up and never called back. After another 2 hour wait I spoke with a different person and we corrected the error. It is a piece of cake to cancel a flight on Air Canada. It is all done online and takes only minutes. WestJet is begging the government for a handout (as is Air Canada) but WestJet's level of customer service is from a pre-internet era.
RouteVancouver to Palm Springs
Date FlownNovember 2020

"they don't confirm your seats"

Trip Verified | We bid on Westjet Premium Seats costing a total of $660.00. The major benefit of Premium Seats (formerly called Plus Seats) with Westjet is that the middle seat area has been converted to a shared space ideal for couples traveling together. Unfortunately with the bidding process that Westjet has now adopted they notify you if your bid is accepted (and your locked in at that point) but they don't confirm your seats. Much to our surprise when we boarded the plane we were not seated together such that $660.00 later you still end up sharing the space with a stranger. So, now, with COVID, just beware that if you're travelling as a couple and bid for the privacy and health safety of two side by side seats you are likely not to get them. Also, these "First Class" seats offer free meal and beverage. I was the seventh person to be place my order (from a selection of two main course items) and was informed they were out of my first pick!
Seat TypeFirst Class