WestJet Airlines

"Customer service is atrocious"

Not Verified | Toronto to Saskatoon. Customer service is atrocious. My flight was booked through a travel agent and when I checked in I was unable to change my seat without paying a $40 fee + a $30 baggage fee. I called WestJet to inquire about this policy and was told that my seat had been "assigned at random" - now let me ask you, does it seem random to be given the seat at the very back of the plane in the middle when half the plane is empty? I'm going to say it doesn't. When I called to ask if there was any way to remedy this (as the seat was definitely not "assigned at random"), the Customer Service Rep was very unhelpful and unsympathetic. Good thing this airline has been sold. The quality of flights and service representatives has completely diminished in the past few months. It is clear that both the exec team and the staff no longer cares about quality service. Don't bother flying with WestJet - Air Canada will provide a much better experience with less hassle.
RouteToronto to Saskatoon
Date FlownMay 2019

"charges $30USD per checked bag"

Trip Verified | Bridgetown to Toronto. Westjet charges $30USD per checked bag. We checked two. Upon arrival at Toronto we find out one was removed from the plane due to the plane being overweight. I’ve been given the run around and spent hours on the phone attempting to get the obscene $30 they charged us to deliver the bag 3 days later. No food provided on a 5.5 hour flight, have to buy croissants etc. Budget airline at a non budget price.
RouteBridgetown to Toronto
Date FlownApril 2019

"have to pay to check a bag"

Trip Verified | It seems that WestJet has turned into a budget airline but still tries to come off as Canada’s best. When checking in there was no staff to help you print your own boarding pass, and check your bags. You have to pay to check a bag as well. On a 7.5 hour flight from Gatwick to Toronto, there was no free food provided aside from a tiny pack of cookies and food for purchase was ridiculously overpriced. I will be avoiding WestJet whenever possible. Also, there is no in flight entertainment aside from their app.
RouteGatwick to Toronto
Date FlownApril 2019

"I had to sleep in the airport"

Trip Verified | Calgary to Vancouver. They provided me the worst customer experience that I ever had. My flight was cancelled due to weather conditions in Calgary (it was booked to depart 6pm) and I got rebooked to 4:30pm of the other day, almost 24 hours! I had to sleep in the airport all night and they didn’t offer any hotel or food. Disgusting customer experience.
RouteCalgary to Vancouver
Date FlownApril 2019

"tiny seat with no leg room"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Kelowna. What a joke. I paid for a “Plus Seat”, and got a tiny seat with no leg room, and no shoulder room. 350$ each way for a small aircraft and 1 hour flight. Only in Canada could you get away with such expense and lack of amenities. No wifi, no entertainment.
AircraftQ400
RouteVancouver to Kelowna
Date FlownApril 2019

"staff on board did a great job"

Not Verified | Calgary to Cancun. On April 17 my family and I were on a westjet flight, 2 hours into our flight an alarm went off in the back bathroom, this alarm went off for 45min. The staff on board did a great job by keeping us informed, and trying to keep us feeling safe. It turned out that a passenger had vaped in the bathroom. I'm so glad that it was nothing serious but very much appreciated that they did not keep any info from us. Thank you for keeping my family safe!
RouteCalgary to Cancun
Date FlownApril 2019

"no apology or understanding"

Not Verified | My cousin and her children (she has two under two) flew to Nova Scotia from London ON on March 19, 2019. Before she booked her flights, she called Westjet to confirm that she could fly alone with both children. Westjet said it was fine so she booked their tickets. Multiple times even afterthat, she called just to make sure they were okay with her flying alone with two kids, and each time they okayed it. She flew to Nova Scotia with no issues. On her way back home on April 9, she got to the Nova Scotia airport and was told that she should not have been allowed to travel alone with her children. She explained that she'd confirmed multiple times with Westjet that it was okay and they let her board. She then got to Toronto Pearson Airport and was told that she could not board her final flight to London because she was alone with two under two. She explained that Westjet had okayed it multiple times and that this was the last leg of her journey and she had had no issues so far. They absolutely refused to let her board or put her on a different flight. She was stranded for hoursat night in the Toronto airport until her children's dad could drive from London ON to come and get them and take them home. Westjet offered no apology or understanding during all this. Terrible airline. They also damaged her baby's carseat and broke her stroller transporting them.
RouteToronto to Nova Scotia
Date FlownMarch 2019

"felt this was entirely inadequate"

Trip Verified | Ft Lauderdale to Toronto. I believe that WestJet needs to be taken to task for their inadequate service for disabled passengers in wheelchairs. On 28th March, my wife who requires a wheelchair, arrived at Toronto Pearson Airport, WestJet Flight 1221 at 5.30 pm and disembarked from the airplane. After a wait, a wheelchair was provided for her (as well as for about 25 other wheelchair passengers) She and other passengers were left in the airport corridors in the wheelchairs for approximately two and a half hours before getting to the customs and immigration departments. There were insufficient wheelchair pushers. WestJet staff were unable to provide more staff this purpose. The disabled passengers, including my wife, were left in the corridors waiting for the golf carts, which were few and far between, and for wheelchair pushers. They were not provided with food or water, and were unable to use toilet facilities. WestJet staff were unwilling/unable to provide the services needed. I asked for the telephone numbers of WestJet Customer Service, and I spoke to an agent. She said she was unable to help. Nor did she have a number to call for me to report the matter to WestJet at the airport or to Toronto Pearson Airport to get help. A day later, I wrote to WestJet. In response to this letter, WestJet wrote me a letter. The salient features are as follows: They offered their apologies. Said they were saddened, surprised, especially as we did not receive their usually excellent, amazing service. They could imagine how upsetting it was for us and they were concerned that we did not receive the requested wheelchair assistance in Toronto. They agreed the service we received was unacceptable. They thanked me for bringing this matter to their attention, they would strive to do better in future…I could contact them with any concerns. I thought that compensation should be provided. In a subsequent email, WestJet offered $200 WestJet Rewards Dollars. I replied that I felt this was entirely inadequate. I asked an Air Canada “wheelchair pusher “ for help. He said WestJet had to provide the wheelchair pushers Eventually I had to leave my wife in the corridor. I walked to Customs and Immigration, placing my bags unattended in the Customs Hall, (which one must not do at an Airport) in order to return, unencumbered by the bags, walking back to my wife, and then push her wheelchair through Customs and Immigration ( which I managed with great difficulty) so that we could pass through Customs and Immigration together.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Toronto
Date FlownMarch 2019

"thank you from the bottom of my heart"

Not Verified | My elderly father was flying yesterday to Edmonton with WestJet. He does not hear well, and I was telling him he could ask for some assistance at Gate 8, prior to boarding. One of the WestJet employees was assisting us with obtaining the electronic boarding pass, and when she heard me say this to him, she asked if I would like a Passenger Escort Pass. I had never heard of this before. She explained it and I obtained one. This allowed me to accompany him right to the gate, stay with him until departure even help him check his bag in (full flight). The same employee arrived at Gate 8 to assist with departure. She remembered my Dad’s name, preprocessed his boarding pass and ID, and made this trip absolutely stress free for both of us. I am so grateful and just want you to know how thankful we both are. I know it made his Easter weekend with my brother in Edmonton that much more enjoyable. I wish I would have looked more closely at her name tag. I would love to “thank you from the bottom of my heart”!
RouteSaskatoon to Edmonton

"Great job Westjet"

Not Verified | My spouse and i are recent vacation travelers. The past 2 vacations were to mexico with both vacation flights booked through Westjet. In both cases we had "issues" where we were 100% responsible. In both cases Westjet helped us make things right and could have charged us accordingly and didnt! A few months ago a friend of mine lost her daughter unexpectedly while she was working in a remote location. I arranged her flight from the nearest airport and was fortunate enough to have Westjet servicing that airport. They had her on the next available flight and applied a bereavement discount for us. Westjets customer service has been nothing short of outstanding every time i have dealt with them when service really mattered. If i have the choice i will only fly with westjet. Great job Westjet, please continue setting the bar for the rest.
RouteEdmonton to San Lucas