WestJet Airlines

"A complete waste of time"

Trip Verified | A complete waste of time, they changed flights so many times that I had to cancel. I need to be in Thunder Bay at a certain time to catch a bus for work, and after they changed the flights the only other flights they had landed way to late or 4 days early. The best part of all is that they won’t give your money back! Zero stars, over an hour and a half on the phone, never again.
RouteSaskatoon to Thunder Bay
Date FlownDecember 2020

"WestJet's level of customer service is from a pre-internet era"

Trip Verified | I booked a direct flight to Palm Springs from Vancouver in Premium Class for November 26, 2020. Two days ago I received an email saying they had had to change my flight. OK, times are tough I realize. But, they booked me for November 25, 2020 with a layover all night at my expense in Calgary, AB. Very funny but I have to work November 25th till at least 7pm so I would not be able to do it. I went to cancel my ticket online and am told that I cannot do it online. There were all sorts of claims on the WestJet website about how wonderful it is. Plus it bombards my Inbox with endless irrelevant emails. You have to telephone WestJet. Last time I had to do that (last month) because of another problem (in fact an error in fact) on the website, I waited 2 hours for a return call and 30 seconds into it the operator hung up and never called back. After another 2 hour wait I spoke with a different person and we corrected the error. It is a piece of cake to cancel a flight on Air Canada. It is all done online and takes only minutes. WestJet is begging the government for a handout (as is Air Canada) but WestJet's level of customer service is from a pre-internet era.
RouteVancouver to Palm Springs
Date FlownNovember 2020

"they don't confirm your seats"

Trip Verified | We bid on Westjet Premium Seats costing a total of $660.00. The major benefit of Premium Seats (formerly called Plus Seats) with Westjet is that the middle seat area has been converted to a shared space ideal for couples traveling together. Unfortunately with the bidding process that Westjet has now adopted they notify you if your bid is accepted (and your locked in at that point) but they don't confirm your seats. Much to our surprise when we boarded the plane we were not seated together such that $660.00 later you still end up sharing the space with a stranger. So, now, with COVID, just beware that if you're travelling as a couple and bid for the privacy and health safety of two side by side seats you are likely not to get them. Also, these "First Class" seats offer free meal and beverage. I was the seventh person to be place my order (from a selection of two main course items) and was informed they were out of my first pick!
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteKelowna, BC to Halifax, NS
Date FlownDecember 2019

"customer service was nowhere to be found"

Trip Verified | Victoria to Calgary. The customer service was nowhere to be found, the phone support was rude and unhelpful. They cancelled my flight with no compensation and didn't even bother to look for other airlines to provide alternative. Getting support was a nightmare and they were unhelpful and rude.
RouteVictoria to Calgary
Date FlownNovember 2020

"Rude, unhelpful, dismissive with no empathy"

Not Verified | My flights were cancelled, luckily I was given the option for a full refund because of my ticket type. I was told through the messenger app (speaking to an online advisor) to call them. What a mistake. Rude, unhelpful, dismissive with no empathy. Refused to even look into my request and just gave a load of absolute waffle. From the way customer service have handled this experience and the other postponements during the difficult times I would say avoid flying with WestJet during Covid. I certainly won’t be flying with them by choice any more.
RouteLondon to Edmonton
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"both flights were cancelled"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Tampa. Booked a coach roundtrip ticket to USA for Oct 12-19 on Sept 1st. Paid by credit card. Today I received an email from Westjet that my reservation had changed and that they could not find alternate flights. They nowhere mentioned my flights were cancelled. I had to login to their web site to see both flights were cancelled. They also stated that no reimbursement was possible, only a 2-year credit for the amount owing. All flights to the region I was flying to in USA were cancelled and checking matrix airfare there were no flights to nearby cities. They charge your credit card and then cancel the flights leaving you stranded and without your money. What is to stop Westjet or other airlines from doing this broadly and pocketing the funds for services not rendered, knowing they have 2 years before people can use their credits - perhaps the credits will never be used. Try to speak to the airline is impossible - greater than 6 hour wait and using option to have them call you back gets you cut off. Tomorrow I call me credit card company and recover the funds through them.
RouteToronto to Tampa
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"Never again Westjet"

Trip Verified | The check-in guy could not have been more abrasive and uncooperative. Our allowance was 50 lbs or 23 kilos, which in fact is 50.6 lbs. Over our two bags, we were over by 6 ounces, yes ounces and not pounds, and he made such a huge deal over this. The rule with any airline is that unless you hit the next whole number, in this case, 21 kilos or 51 pounds, no charge can be made. I tried to reason with him...no good. A fellow cohort of his came over and immediately took his side. I always thought that the function of a properly trained supervisor was to sort out any issue calmly and professionally. Not so, she was extremely aggressive and abrasive to us. At boarding, I approached her very calmly and stated that I thought her attitude to me and the situation was not helpful and I thought that she would have sorted out this tiny issue for us. No way was she going to let this go. She got aggressive again and so we walked. Never again Westjet ... never again!!
RouteVictoria to Boston via Toronto
Date FlownOctober 2019

"refused to offer me a refund"

Trip Verified | March 2018 I vowed never to fly with WestJet due to their terrible customer service and leaving passengers stranded in the middle of the night, resulting in missed connections. Fast forward a year and a half and I broke my promise because they were the only airline offering direct flights to and from Halifax - Vancouver. Several weeks after booking I was informed that my flights have been switched to go through Toronto. I didn't accept the changes. After 3 hours on hold I finally spoke with an agent who told me the have removed all direct flights and I will have to go through Toronto/Montreal/Calgary. All bad options. I decided to cancel my trip and the customer services rep refused to offer me a refund. Travel credit only. I spoke with her manager after and he said the same thing. When a company retracts a service without offering a reasonable replacement, it is time to offer the customer a refund. Very poor customer service.
RouteVancouver to Halifax
Date FlownJuly 2020

"offered a refund less $210"

Not Verified | Flight was cancelled because of Covid. Not anyone’s fault of course but we’re only offered travel vouchers. Because of our family situation this didn’t work for us and requested a refund. We have finally been offered a refund less $210. Last time we ever do business with WestJet again. We had another flight was with Delta which was cancelled and they happily refunded us our money.
RouteCalgary to Maui
Date FlownApril 2020

"are only offering me rewards"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Toronto. The airline cancelled my flight twice in light of covid19. It was fine. No problem. But, they withheld my payment and are only offering me rewards that i do not want. T They will not have my business again.
RouteGatwick to Toronto