WestJet Airlines

"no blanket, pillow or comfort items"

Trip Verified | The flight from Honolulu to Vancouver, Canada took just over five hours, a considerable time in between meals when you add to it boarding and disembarking time. The airplane was new and I could almost smell the freshness of fabric, leather, rubber etc. It was a good start to my flight but unfortunately it turned out to be the only good thing. There was no entertainment on the flight- no TV screens, no music, nothing. As a replacement, the airplane was equipped with USB ports and charging plugs. They simply passed their entertainment expense to the passengers. I wouldn't have minded that but it turned out to be a pattern for other reductions of service. The choice of included or complimentary food was a very small bag of Pretzels or one small cookie on a 5-6 hour flight! The sandwiches, beer etc were "for purchase". There was no blanket, pillow or any comfort items. The entire economy class was staffed by only two flight attendants. Westjet, unfortunately, is getting down to the level of "cheap" airlines instead of rising to the level of good airlines. I flew Qantas the same week where we had full entertainment package, great flexible TV screens on each seat, pillows, blankets, ear plugs, blinders, full meals, choice of complimentary beverages...etc. And yes it was also economy class and it was comparable price.
RouteHonolulu to Vancouver
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"Westjet has no business class"

Trip Verified | Denver to Vancouver via Calgary. Westjet has no business class and had to fly premium economy. Seats are regular seats with the middle seat empty with a drink holder. Not good for the person I was flying with as they require a reclining seat for medical reasons. No meal for over 2 hour flight. No lounge access for premium economy. They have no business class except for some new summer flights to Europe. Have to download an app to view entertainment, not great when you fly many different airlines! Old planes. Poor seats. Not good for business or medical travel. Friendly staff.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteDenver to Vancouver via Calgary

"delayed by 55 mins"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Montreal segment was delayed by 55 mins and my connection with another airline from Montreal was not possible. The airline was not ready to compensate for missed flights and the inconvenience it caused. The airline should compensate the customer for the inconvenience in situations like this. Customer service was very unhelpful.
RouteToronto to Montreal

"late for my flight"

Trip Verified | My husband bought for me a ticket for the Westjet flight #245 on January 3, 2019 from Halifax to Toronto. The purchase was made through Flighthub.com. I usually travel with Porter Airlines which I consider the best ones for domestic flights in Canada, but this time due to the timing we decided to give Westjet a try and here's my impression: the most horrible unhelpful bunch who care only about how to rip the client off. I arrived at the airport at 7.30am on January 3, 2019. My flight was scheduled to depart at 8:00am, and me, naive, hoped to print out my luggage tags and my boarding pass quickly (as I've checked in the day before and paid for my luggage in full), pass the security - the security waiting time as was shown on screen at the Halifax airport (I've attached the photo done after "helpful" conversation with the manager) was less the 5 minutes - and successfully board my plane, but no, Westjet prepared for me the "nice surprise"! Upon the arrival to the empty Westjet check-in I saw a girl sitting and staring at her computer screen keeping herself "busy". I greeted her and asked for my boarding pass - no reaction- she kept staring at her screen. I asked her one more time loudly, then she turned her head and let me know that I'm late for my flight - 30 minutes to departure with less than 5 minutes security check. When I asked why, she simply told its their policy, and I supposed to be in the airport 90 minutes before the departure. On my question why she told she won't be arguing with me, and then left. I asked her to call a manager, who arrived in approximately 10 minutes. The manager suggested to re-book me, but then she told that my ticket is basic one and she can't do anything. On my question what can we do in this situation she suggested my to buy another ticket. When I asked why was I not informed anyhow during the purchasing of my ticket or the online checking-in process about their 90-minutes arrival policy, the manager told that it should have been displayed during the check-in. But I did not see it displayed anywhere and as the result I ended up buying another ticket from another airline and fly to Toronto.
RouteHalifax to Toronto

"food was purchase only"

Not Verified | Toronto to Liberia, Westjet has friendly staff but I’ve never flown with an airline that gave you so little for so much. $1500+ spent on my flights on two 5 hour flights (one of which was directly over dinner time) and all food was purchase only. No screens/in flight entertainment. Also, no drinks other than water, coffee, pop. Will be avoiding this airline from now on.
RouteToronto to Liberia

"Worst customer service"

Trip Verified | Regina to Toronto. Worst customer service. I will never recommend Westjet to anyone. Customer service just try to disrespect you because you have a economy class. Pathetic service. Try to put blame on customer so other flight can be booked. Shout at customer and give no solution.
RouteRegina to Toronto

"they lost my luggage"

Trip Verified | This is my first time flying with Westjet, and I am disappointed. First, they lost my luggage. I was flying from Vancouver to Toronto, but my luggage went to Halifax. The name and plane seat of my checked luggage was also wrong, very wrong. Second, after I got my luggage back, my new luggage lost a wheel! When I ask for compensation, the customer service was really horrible, and they never tell me the full information until I ask. I was told that I will receive an email after 5 minutes. But after 1 hour, I still not have received anything from Westjet. When I phone them up, the staff told me they could not find a file under my name, and then account does not exist. I don't know how airline companies work, but Westjet was not able to fulfill a single "responsibility" for my case.
RouteVancouver to Toronto

"highly unpleasant experience"

Trip Verified | Calgary to Ottawa. Lack of willingness to admit a mistake or explain it properly turned what should have been an inconvenience into a highly unpleasant experience. I was going home from visiting my family for the holidays and arrived at the airport 1.5 hours before my scheduled boarding time. While in the line up for security several other flights were called ahead and allowed to skip the line, as my flight was not one of these I assumed that there would be no issue making my flight despite a lengthy line. Instead when I arrived at the gate (a minute prior to scheduled departure) I was told the plane had left early, with my bag but without me. The gate agent was very helpful in switching my flight, but I still decided to talk to customer service to ask why the other flights had been called ahead but mine had not. I was informed that it was a courtesy that they allow certain flights to skip the line when their departure is close. This makes sense to me but why was this courtesy offered to several flights while I was in line but not my own? I was not paged on the intercom or asked after in the security line despite having checked in. I would understand if I had shown up late to the airport, but I gave myself plenty of time. Sure doesn’t seem like “westjet cares” as much as their commercials would have you believe.
RouteCalgary to Ottawa
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"Very happy with the service"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Quebec City via Toronto. I flew with family including two grandchildren. The service on all of our flights over the past week with WestJet have been fantastic. Flights were on time and the customer service was amazing, particularly with the children. Genuine kindness. Very happy with the service from staff. Just wonderful
RouteVancouver to Quebec City via Toronto
Date FlownDecember 2018

"responsibility was to get me to Calgary"

Not Verified | I had a trip booked from Cranbrook to Calgary and on another airline to Amsterdam. I was one of the few people that boarded the plane first and noticed that people had stopped boarding? The few of us that were already on the plane got told there was a mechanical issue with the plane (hydraulic leak)and we had to get off. This was at noon and my connection to Amsterdam was at 15:30. The plane ended up not leaving until after the on tarmac repair was completed at 17:00. This of course meant I missed my connection in Calgary and had to re-book it for the next day. Once in Calgary I went to the WestJet counter to get the hotel voucher I was told I would get in Cranbrook only to be told (rudely) that they would not be giving me a voucher as the connection was with a different airline and their only responsibility was to get me to Calgary.
RouteCranbrook to Calgary