WestJet Airlines

"not recommend this airline"

Not Verified | My family and I were travelling from Phoenix to Prince George with a Lay over and plane change in Calgary. In Calgary, we changed planes to a small Central Mountain Air plane operated by WestJet. The flight was supposed to take approximately 2 hours, we were in the air for about an hour and a half when the pilot turned the plane around and advised that based on the head wind, they were low on fuel. We landed back in Calgary within 20 minutes. WestJet booked myself, wife and 2 year old toddler on a flight to Vancouver to travel to Prince George the next morning. Once in Vancouver we were told that the plane could not land due to weather and they would not compensate accommodations. The guest services could not help us at all and left us stranded to find and pay for our own hotel, late at night with a very tired toddler. I understand weather happens and flights get delayed but to be lied to in order to save a few dollars does not sit well with me. I will not recommend this airline.
RoutePhoenix to Prince George via Calgary

"Don't choose WestJet"

Not Verified | Montreal to Puerto Plata via Toronto. When you're looking for an airline company to fly you on your vacation and back, safe and secure, Don't choose WestJet. I booked 2 tickets on the 14th February for a vacation to the Dominican Republic with my wife for departure 06 April 2020. 2 days later my wife was taken to the emergency with chronic pain in the kidneys. I called West Jet customer service to postpone our trip since my wife's health was critical. I asked the young lady representing WestJet if I could cancel or postpone our trip. She answered yes as long as you pay $100 per destination, in total $400 charge. I asked her for goodwill since my wife was in the hospital and she answered me, "if we gave everyone goodwill we wouldn't make any money". I was scandalized from her answer, this is inhumane. Please make sure you can predict the future before you book with WestJet.
RouteMontreal to Puerto Plata via Toronto
Date FlownMarch 2019

"thanks for a great flight"

Trip Verified | Halifax to Orlando. Customer service at check-in was really good with polite helpful staff. The flight was amazing. A reconfigured business section with glass and silverware which is a huge plus for me. The flight staff were attentive, kind and truly part of a great experience. WestJet, thanks for a great flight. I'll be back
RouteHalifax to Orlando
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"worst lack of customer service"

Trip Verified | Costa Rica to Winnipeg via Toronto. Our flight out of Costa Rica to Toronto was originally delayed by 15 minutes due to de icing. We were delayed at the Costa Rica Liberia airport by two hours because the WestJet boarding system had crashed and they were forced to do manual boarding Therefore we missed our connecting flight from Toronto to Winnipeg and had to overnight in Toronto. Upon arriving at the Toronto airport there was not one WestJet employee working. When I called the airline they Refused to take any responsibility for their system crashing claiming it is the airports problem and not theirs. Meanwhile no other airline in the airport had any issue with their computer system. I am mostly mad about the lack of communication and lack of help. We were left wandering around the Pearson airport at midnight looking for customer service to find no one. Absolutely the worst lack of customer service I have ever experienced. I always fly Westjet and they have usually been good but now I am frustrated and furious. We had to pay 200$ for a hotel room, more for food and missed work. To top it off when leaving Toronto the next day we had 6 WestJet employees standing around chatting while we had to check our own bags. Westjet what the hell happened you used to be a great airline.
RouteCosta Rica to Winnipeg via Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"their check-in process was horribly slow"

Not Verified | I recently flew Toronto to London. The check in line was long and there were only two staff members to check in passengers which led to a great delay. At the gate, we boarded 5 minutes ahead of the gate closure. They lady at the gate reminded me in a rude way that boarding started way earlier. I told her their check-in process was horribly slow and she snarled at me that well at least I made it. I opened a blanket for my little daughter and it had gunk and hair on it. I returned it to the cabin crew and he just tossed one from another empty seat. It was sort of disgusting.
RouteToronto to London Gatwick

"Excellent Business class"

Not Verified | Calgary to London. Excellent Business class with great staff and food meals. Comfortable seating and quality everything. The food was a very high-quality and delicious fresh
RouteCalgary to London
Date FlownMay 2019

"have the middle seat empty"

Trip Verified | The flight crew were very good and helpful but the company pulled a deceptive tactic with how they portray their premium class in the seating map compared to what it looks like. I upgraded my ticket after I checked in 24 hours before my flight and saw there was 1 empty premium class seat for $168 upgrade and it showed there were only 2 seats that were the same amount of room as the rows with 3 seats. In reality the first four rows have the middle seat empty as they turned it into a drink holder and arm rest. Also there is no connect service and just small old screen that the picture moves when the monitor is touched.
RouteVancouver to Las Vegas
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"We were delayed 5 hours"

Trip Verified | Winnipeg to Las Vegas. We were delayed 5 hours, I got to my hotel room 5 hours late. It was a beautiful January day, weather was mild, so what I’m getting at was it was plane related. We were in a terminal with two flights, one to Orlando, and one to Las Vegas. Mechanical issue with Orlando flight so they took ours. They shuffled us around the airport and we left 5 hours late. I missed the main reason I went on this trip. My “voucher” I couldn’t use anywhere, and after I already ate and not valid for alcohol. I would understand if it was weather but they didn’t even address this, no apology.
RouteWinnipeg to Las Vegas
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"worst nickel and dime company"

Trip Verified | Calgary to Toronto. Previously I would chase Aeroplan miles and exclusively book Air Canada for business travel. On this recent trip I softened my view and booked WestJet. It will be the last time I do. I used to have a high opinion of WestJet and their customer service.. Somewhere along the way they devolved into the worst nickel and dime company with more service fees and charges than I've ever experienced in all my years of flying. I have no plans to use them again moving forward.
RouteCalgary to Toronto
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"have no customer service"

Trip Verified | Bought a first class ticket to go to Edmonton, December 31 leaving in the morning at 8 am. The flight was reported to 4 pm with a last minute notice (got the notice when I was in line for check in) so I was stuck in the airport for the day. No compensation was offered for food or drink as the flight was delay due to weather. They were claiming that the delay was not their fault and they could do nothing at the airport and that the only way to contact Westjet was online to complain and get compensation for the expenses related to the fact that I was stuck at the airport for the day because Westjet did not provide any reasonable flight delay notice. The flight was delayed until midnight on new years eve. After talking to them they transferred me to Air Canada but I lost my first class, the flight with Air Canada was cancelled but Air Canada did pay for the hotel and provided passengers with a voucher. I did get a cheap compensation for my downgrade class ticket that did not match the difference between the regular ticket that I could of bought when I did by my first class ticket. WestJet is unprofessional and have no customer service.
Seat TypeFirst Class