Volotea

"disgrace to all airlines"

Trip Verified | Venice to Athens via Mykonos. Booked a flight for 9th July on 5th June. Tried to do online check-in 11+ hours in advance, got an error saying "Check-in is no longer available". Spent nearly 2 hours trying every possible channel to find out how, what, when. Finally got through to an advisor on website chat - told the system decided to add a free airport check-in for me. Go to check-in desk 2 hours prior to departure. One receptionist checking everyone in - I'm 10th in the queue. After 40 minutes of standing in a queue, it's my turn. After 30mins of watching the girl faff I finally get a boarding pass but get told that the flight is overbooked, my boarding pass doesn't have a seat allocation, I need to wait until everyone boards the plane and will only be allowed on-board if someone doesn't show. So I book and pay 1+ month in advance, show up in time, do the check-in, have my personal itinerary, other transport and accommodation booked and then get told I might get denied the flight because the company is making money selling more seats to flights than they actually have and hoping people won't show! Speechless. I got to board eventually but not without witnessing proper rude behaviour towards another passenger. The flight was 30 mins late to land but that didn't even factor into my whole experience and feeling heavily overwhelmed even before my holiday had started. Especially since I had another flight with Volotea pending 4 days later. So 4 days later, flight from Mykonos to Athens scheduled in for 11:20. No issues checking-in this time. Get to the gate - delay. Screen's saying an update in an hour. After an hour, estimated departure is 13:31. After an hour, it changes to 16:06. Some of us are already gone - bought other tickets or took the ferry so as not to miss their connecting flights. Luckily, my connecting flight was for the next day. I was meant to spend the day in Athens, instead, I spent it on a chair in an airport that is so tiny that even the check-in desks are outside. Out of curiosity I had a look at the flights from the previous day - 4 out of 5 Volotea's flights to Mykonos were late. Some tendency here, no? Finally, after waiting nearly 5 hours, we fly out at 16:11 to do that 40 minute flight to Athens. We land at 16:55. Instead of 12:05. Thank you for those airport food and drink vouchers Volotea but how am I meant to get back the time you robbed me off? How are you going to take back the stress you've caused to all your paying customers? Luckily, at least I am done with the stress of having to fly with Volotea, and you'd assume done with it altogether but no - getting emails asking to leave feedback, received 21 text messages between 5am and 7:30am asking to follow a link and leave feedback. Well, Volotea, you wanted some feedback? Here it is - you are a disgrace to all airlines, your systems don't work and your staff are rude and ignorant. Out of 5 flights I took last week, 2 were with Volotea and both were disastrous. Never flew with them before, never will again. Low fares are a good way to attract people but the way this company operates is deplorable, constantly late and overbooking flights. My advice is for improvement, Volotea, is that you should just give up and go be something else than an airline because you're not good at it.
RouteVenice to Athens via Mykonos
Date FlownJuly 2019

"Worst service ever"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Venice to Mykonos. The flight was due to leave Venice at 20:20. After a first boarding that failed, we were boarded late and left Venice at 23:30. They just said: “technical break issues are solved, we can leave”. Once took off, after 20 min the captain said: deicing system is not working; we return immediately to Venice. Then, with no more explanation nor info, we landed in Venice after one hour. After request for explanation, rude steward could only say ”I hope the captain will announce anything”. We could be given hotel room after quarrelling and police calling only at 04:00 am. The flight was replaced the day after, at 18:50. But no information at all were given. Only the airport helped. Worst service (not to be called service) ever.
RouteVenice to Mykonos
Date FlownJune 2019

"not doing an online check in"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Athens to Santorini. I was charged 60 euros (30 for my ticket and 30 for my partner) for not doing an online check in as requested inside a long email that was sent to my email after booking.
RouteAthens to Santorini
Date FlownJune 2019

"Beware dealing with this company"

Trip Verified | Vienna to Bordeaux with Volotea. This airline isn't worth any more of my time, so this will be short and sweet. The owner of this airline, should stop opening different businesses and focus on the ones he has until they aren't completely incompetent. I paid for their "insurance" so I could change my reservation if I needed to because I"m traveling with no real time constraints. Well after changing my flight 2 days ago, I got an email saying that my flight (the original flight that was supposed to have been changed 2 days ago) was delayed. When I contacted them to ask why my flight wasn't changed like the website said it was, they told me sorry, and it was now too late to change flights, and thanks for my money. Beware dealing with this company, they will rip you off when given the chance.
RouteVienna to Bordeaux
Date FlownJune 2019

"lack of response is the worst"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Athens to Heraklion. After 40 years of constant flying experience how can one review an airline on which he has not flown. However their overall response and attitude have been worse than anything I could ever imagine. I was booked to fly on 4254 on June, 6 however two days before the flight I advised Volotea via email that due to serious medical reasons I was not allowed to fly and requested the courtesy of their reply to a) if I can change the date of my flight b) if I get any full or partial refund c) if i get the return of taxes paid d) if I am entitled to nothing... Being hospitalised, I have sent four (4) reminders requesting the favour of a reply however all my requests have been totally ignored and no single reply has to this moment been received. Their complete lack of response is the worst and most inhuman experience I have ever had. Never in my life have I felt so frustrated with such an impolite so called airline...
RouteAthens to Heraklion
Date FlownJune 2019

"keep asking to size the luggage"

Trip Verified | Athens to Santorini. The crew was unfriendly. Everything disordered, from check in to on board. They keep asking people to size the luggage, even with obviously standard on board case. No any service at all. Well they are cheap airline, you get for what you pay. But I didn’t see a cheaper rate compared with others. I will never take their flight anymore. Not recommended to others either. They have the worst online system and if accidentally click on other seats, you can not cancel it and will ask for payment.
RouteAthens to Santorini
Date FlownJune 2019

"take others and not Volotea"

Not Verified | Mykonos to Athens. Volotea failed to transport passengers from origin to destination. The flight from Mykonos to Athens on 6th May at 7pm was cancelled. Upon cancellation, they did not offer any backup flight on the same day or next day. We are stranded on Mykonos and was anxious because we need to catch any international flight at Athens on the next day. Next morning, they put us on a ferry that takes 7 hours to reach Athens and told us to go to Mykonos port to collect the ferry ticket.Ferry departs at 1415hrs and reach Athens at 7pm. However, the ferry office said Volotea did not make such booking for us. We have to pay for own ferry ticket at our own cost. After the incident, we wrote to Volotea for refund since they did not put us on the plane at all. They refuse to refund (70 euros) and stated that it was under unforeseen circumstances that they cancel the flight. They also did not pay for the ferry ticket (38euros) upon producing the receipt. Their customer service even claim that this was no show initially, instead of a flight cancellation. This is really the most non-reliable airline and bad customer service. There are other airline serving Mykonos to Athens - pls take others and not Volotea. Do not let this airline spoil your schedule or holiday.
RouteMykonos to Athens
Date FlownMay 2019

"30€ per pack for check in"

Trip Verified | Mykonos to Athens. Rude service crew at check in counter. Charge extra 30€ per pack for check in, only mentioned no charges if booked online but we are not allowed to do so as they helped to check in. Extra charges for bag that couldnt possibly fit in the small box provided. End up, total extra charges of 110€ due to their greedy policy.
RouteMykonos to Athens
Date FlownMay 2019

"flight was perfectly fine"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Toulouse to Prague. Having read negative reviews, our particular flight was perfectly fine. We were notified well in advance, (3+ weeks) of a 25 minute change in flight departure time, which made no material difference to travel plans. It's a low cost carrier, and did what it said on the tin. Maybe it would have been different if they cancelled but we did not have that experience. Cabin crew maybe needed to speed up a bit, but overall a cheerful experience
RouteToulouse to Prague
Date FlownApril 2019

"ridiculous hidden fees"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Santorini to Athens. Out of the 45+ airlines i flew with, most of them are "budget" airlines, this is the far worse. First, the excruciating booking process is full of ridiculous hidden fees. While boarding the plane, they randomly chose passengers to try fit their carry-on bags to their tiny sizer and nailed them with a 60 euro fee. If they wanted they could screw half of the passengers but they knew it will lead to a mutiny. I personally was forced to check a bag that meets all international size standards and traveled with all over the world without any issue, including another Volotea flight just 3 days earlier. I had to go back to the check-in counter, go through security again and delay the whole flight because of their greedy luggage policy. Of course they checked my girlfriend's bag too for no cost, even though there was plenty of space in the cabin. It wasn't a matter of safety, just pure greed. And no, playing Bob Marley in the PA system didn't make us "get together and feel alright". The actual flight was fine and the crew was ok.
RouteSantorini to Athens