Viva Air

"nickel and dime at every single point"

Trip Verified | Miami to Medellin. They advertise "additional services" prices on their website, such as adding carry on baggage to a flight (included with most other airlines), that are cheaper when booked online versus at the airport but their website will not process these purchases so you end up forced to pay exorbitant fees at the airport and they do not honor any of their advertised prices even if the systems show that you tried to process the request online and over the phone in the time frame allowed by their policies. It's downright unethical to advertise a price and not honor it. They refuse to help over the phone, by chat, by email, or in person, and there is conveniently never a supervisor available to escalate any concerns. You will end up frustrated and paying more money than other airlines once they add all the fees. Even beverages on board international flights are at a fee. They nickel and dime at every single point.
RouteMiami to Medellin
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"baggage cost was excessive"

Trip Verified | Juliaca to Lima. Worst airline ever. Charged me £20 to print my boarding pass. Also the cabin baggage cost was too excessive. I am used to travelling in no frills airlines in Europe, but this was the most excessive and purely intentional fleecing.
RouteJuliaca to Lima
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"refuses to refund luggage fees"

Trip Verified | Cartagena to Medellin. I can understand airlines and non-refundable ticket, but not refunding the extra charges such as luggage when you cancel a flight is ridiculous. I had to cancel the flight with Viva Air because the schedule did not work out. I had prepaid the luggage fees, but this cheap airline refuses to refund luggage fees if you cancel or do not use the ticket. I understand a non-refundable airline ticket, but not giving back the extra charges is damn stingy.
RouteCartagena to Medellin
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"worst company I’ve ever dealt with"

Trip Verified | Hands down the worst company I’ve ever dealt with in my life. I booked a ticket from Lima to Barenquilla with a connection in Bogota. Paid extra for hold luggage / fast lane boarding on both. Got to Bogota only to find our luggage on the caracel. It shouldn’t have been there. We were told at check in it would be transferred automatically to our second flight (in line with what we paid for). Ran to check in and were told check in was closed so we could not get on the flight. This is despite explaining that it’s clearly their fault. We wouldn’t have even gone to check in if our bags had been transferred correctly. They said “no you’re late” then said we’d have to buy another flight ourselves tomorrow. No discounts, no refunds, no hotel accommodation for tonight. Not even an apology. After complaining for 20 mins we were told we could take the bags through as hand luggage but would have to pay £104. We did, had no choice, would have cost more for a new flight + hotel. We’ve asked for our money back but they won’t respond to my emails. Unbelievably bad service from this awful company. - They sell you connecting flights but mistakenly put your bag on the carousel at the wrong airport - They don’t admit their mistakes and will charge you for every error they make - Plus they’ll happily make you pay £104 (more than the flight) or you’ll have to buy a whole new flight plus accommodation. Also they: - Purposefully sit people apart to force you to pay for seats (don’t fly if you’re a family) - Charge you £50 to get your boarding pass printed at check in. - Won’t transfer you onto a new flight if your connection is delayed. Do not fly with them if you have to take a connection. At best you’ll have to pay £104 and sprint with 15kg bags across the airport. At worst you’ll have to buy an entire new flight + hotel + pay for luggage again.
RouteLima to Barrenquilla via Bogota

"Worst experience ever"

(Peru)

Trip Verified | Tarapoto to Lima. Worst experience ever! Do not fly Viva Air. To begin, we had to fly standby on the way out because they overbooked the flight and then they blamed us. On the way back, after paying extra for selected seats, extra for baggage, we were required to pay extra for a printed ticket even though my reservation said completed. Corruption at its worst. Do not support Viva Air!
RouteTarapoto to Lima
Date FlownJuly 2019

"rip you off at checkin"

Not Verified | I have taken over 30 flights in the last 18 months and this one has created the strangest policies designed to rip you off at checkin. I had downloaded my ticket to my phone as I don’t always have a printer handy. Therefore I was charged 12 USD for a printed ticket that I never saw but I was handed a boarding pass. Next was the most interesting. I always travel with cabin baggage only that weighed 8:2kg. Checkin stipulated 10kg maximum. I thought great, I’m under. As I reach checkin the VivaAir employee grabs my bag and goes to the size stand and tries to shove my Universal cabin sized bag that has never been a problem to fit in the overhead cabins on any airline and says no it won’t fit. I thought no it’s not going to fit in that. So I was charged 69 USD to take my bag as cabin luggage and it would have been a few more dollars if I opted to check it in. This flight cost me in Australian dollars an extra $100 at check in. Be warned.
RouteLima to Medellin
Date FlownJune 2019

"rescheduled without notification"

(Bulgaria)

Not Verified | Worst company ever! Flight was rescheduled for 10 hours earlier without notification and we missed it! The other flight from Medellin to Cusco got also rescheduled 3 times without notification. First promise to refund then deny it always in a written format. Will never fly with this company! Avoid it!
RouteLima to Iquitos via Sofia
Date FlownJune 2019

"Worst airline ever"

Trip Verified | Cartagena to Bogota. Worst airline ever, very bad customer service and they will charge extra money for absolutely everything. Printing the boarding pass (they do not provide copies on pdf or email), seats (there were no free seats anywhere in the cabin whole plane and all of them are cheap seats) even small luggage that fits on the overhead compartment and that is accepted on all airlines, they have smaller measures and will end up charging extra for luggage. This is not a cheap airline, they just deceive customers to rip them off at the airport.
RouteCartagena to Bogota

"Worst airline ever"

Trip Verified | Cusco to Lima. Worst airline ever. Before we even arrived in Peru they changed our flights twice, as much as a day so our whole tour was effected. Today our flight was cancelled and only option given was later tonight so we missed our connection to Iquitos which affects our Iquitos hotel Booking and Amazon tour. They offered free lunch and hotel. The hotel we couldnt arrange until lining up in Lima airport al over again. Zero information. We have had to book another airline for 6 people so we can make our Amazon tour. Absolutely furious!
RouteCusco to Lima

"flight got rescheduled"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | We booked a flight from Cusco to Medellín which took us 3 times longer than it should have. Our flight got rescheduled two days before from Cusco - Lima - Medellín to cCusco - Lima - Bogota - Medellín, which prolonged our traveling time from 6 hours to 15 hours. Delayed twice, which almost made us miss one of the connection flights. They also charge you 50 sol if you don't print your boarding pass. Even if they change your flight last minute. Don't hope for support or retribution because you will get none.
RouteCusco to Medellín