Viva Air

Viva Air customer review

Trip Verified | Santa Marta to Bogota. Had the misfortune of booking flights with Viva Air. Their business model is clearly designed to catch out people and sting them with extra-large unreasonable fees. I bought tickets, and couldn't web check-in in advance and so got stung by fees over half the cost of the ticket just to get access to my tickets. How the hell they can sell tickets but then charge extra to access them is pathetic!. It cost me 715000 cop or approx 350 au for them to issue me tickets! Also, the people in front had one carry on bag that was literally 1 cm protruding out of the bag size and they had to pay for checked luggage - 1cm! Furthermore, at the airport, the supervisor started raising their voice at us, especial to a 70-year-old in our group and then they simply walked off leaving us at an unattended service counter. You could not find an airline with worse customer service and ethics!. I hope their reputation and service (lack of) is their downfall, they don't deserve to be in business!
RouteSanta Marta to Bogota
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"service is poor to miserable"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | Flight Bogotá Lima. Reclining chairs, but barely room for my legs in the chair (I measure 1.75). I had to pay extra to sit next to my wife. All the time in fear that the bags we carry would be extra charged. Cuzco Lima Not even a USB port to charge cell phone or tablet. Everything, including water is charged. Plastic chairs that do not recline, just better than those on an urban bus. My wife changed position with a woman since she had been separated from her 5 year old son. Lima Bogotá We had to pay 40 us for printing 2 passports. The same fear that the suitcase will be charged extra for passing us a couple of centimeters. Plastic chairs do not recline, for a 3-hour flight. I did not sit next to my wife, for not paying extra. If they could, they would charge the toilet paper per square. Really awkward. I understand that it is low cost, but the service is poor to miserable. No screen, no usb port, no water, no space, no comfort. Everything has to pay extra. In the end, it ends up leaving at the same price or even more expensive than better airlines like Lan or Avianca. Vuelo Bogotá Lima. Sillas que reclinan, pero apenas espacio para mis piernas en la silla (mido 1.75). Tuve que pagar extra para sentarme al lado de mi esposa. Todo el tiempo con miedo de que las maletas que llevavamos fueran a ser cobradas extra. Cuzco Lima. Ni siquiera un puerto usb para cargar celular o tableta. Todo, incluyendo agua es cobrado. Sillas plásticas que no reclinan, apenas mejores que las que hay en un bus urbano. Mi esposa cambio puesto con una mujer ya que habia quedado separada de su hijo de 5 años. Lima Bogotá. Tuvimos que pagar 40 us por imprimir 2 pasabordos. El mismo miedo de que la maleta la cobraran extra por pasarnos un par de centímetros. Sillas plásticas.no reclinan, para un vuelo de 3 h. No me senté al lado de mi esposa, por no pagar extra. Si pudieran, cobrarían el papel higieníco por cuadrado. Realmente incómodo. Entiendo que es bajo costo, pero el servicio se pasa a miserable. No pantalla, no puerto usb, no agua, no espacio, no comodidad. Todo toca pagar extra. Al final, termina saliendo al mismo precio o incluso más caro que aerolíneas mejores como lan o Avianca.
RouteArequipa to Lima

"didn’t let me board"

Trip Verified | Lima to San Andres via Bogota. We arrived on time to the flight. Right before boarding they told me I had to validate my boarding pass. I waited where she told me. There was a group in front of me paying their instruments. I was never attended. Then they closed the door and didn’t let me board. The worst thing is that the lady wrote in her computer that we refused to pay for our luggage and that’s why we didn’t board, which was false.
RouteLima to San Andres via Bogota

"Terrible service"

(Colombia)

Not Verified | We flew with the same airline from Bogotá to Santa Marta and received all our bags without problem, since they complied with the established measures, and today when we show up to fly from Santa Marta to Bogotá they tell us that the same suitcase does not comply with the measures established by the airline and we must pay $ 80,000COP to return the suitcase to Bogotá. They also told us that they were not responsible for the "negligence", which they say the workers in Bogotá had when they received the suitcase, and finally they did not fix us and we had to pay. Terrible service of the airline Viva Air Colombia. Volamos con la misma aerolínea de Bogotá a Santa Marta y nos recibieron todas las maletas sin problema, ya que cumplían con las medidas establecidas, y hoy cuando nos presentamos para volar de Santa Marta a Bogotá nos dicen que la misma maleta (la cual es de pasta y no se puede modificar su tamaño) no cumple con las medidas establecidas por la aerolínea y que debemos pagar $80.000COP para poder devolver la maleta a Bogotá. También nos dijeron que ellos no se hacían responsable de la "negligencia", que según ellos, tuvieron los trabajadores en Bogotá al recibir la maleta, y finalmente no nos solucionaron y nos tocó pagar. Pésimo servicio de la aerolínea Viva Air Colombia
RouteSanta Marta to Bogotá
Date FlownDecember 2019

"never got the promised refund"

Trip Verified | I was forced to cancel my trip to Peru and claim on my insurance. Viva Air offered me a full refund, so this flight was not claimed on my insurance. I never got the promised refund, only excuses. 7 months on and I have still have not had the money returned to me.
RouteLima to Arequipa
Date FlownMay 2019

"Avoid at all costs"

Not Verified | Lima to Bogota. I had to buy a brand new ticket at the airport because they messed up my booking. Not only did they refuse to refund me for that flight but also when I tried to have my tax refunded for the flight I didn't take (which you can do by law) they said I took the flight and the new ticket I bought had been changed to the flight I took (even though I paid the exact same price again at the airport). Worst customer service I've ever experienced. Avoid at all costs and spend more money on a better company if you can.
RouteLima to Bogota

"What a rollercoaster"

Trip Verified | Medellin to Bogotá. 1. Can’t believe in 2019 an Airline charges people $11usd for a boarding pass print-out! When they can scan through my phone or even create an app! Scam scam scam! 2. Had to rearrange my baggage because I was over my 1KG! 3. I had booked through a third party and paid for checked in baggage. However, was told my ticket didn’t include baggage and had to pay. I was rushing for my flight and left with no choice, even though I showed them proof of my booking. 4. The flight was a constant prayer until I arrived. What a rollercoaster!
RouteMedellin to Bogotá

"barred from boarding"

Trip Verified | Lima to Arequipa. Most expensive budget flight I've ever seen. Hidden fees, denied entry to flight, left luggage. To make a long story short, there is a required fee of 45 PEN per person, just to print the boarding pass at the airport. For our party, it meant an additional $150 (USD). We paid it anyway, desperate to get to our destination. At boarding, one woman began to complain loudly about the bad treatment from the staff, and others joined in. My husband and a few others were barred from boarding for being too loud. Our only suitcase was paid for by my father, and should have been in his name, but they removed it from the flight because my husband wasn't boarding, without informing anyone. So we got to the destination, but the suitcase was left at the first airport. We were informed that the only way to recover it was to fly back and get it ourselves.
RouteLima to Arequipa
Date FlownNovember 2019

"rude employees and managers"

Trip Verified | I bought a ticket to Cusco from Lima using Kwiki. The night before my flight, Kwiki emailed me my e-ticket. I had no access to a printer. I went up to the customer service counter for Viva Air and asked the rep if I could use my Mobile e-ticket and she informed me it had to be printed and they could print it for 86 soles. I showed her my Kwiki confirmation email from the night before and informed her that it wasn't written on it and she said there was nothing she could do about it. I asked to speak to the manager. I spoke to the manager and showed her the confirmation and the e-ticket and she stated that it's not on the confirmation, it's on the e-ticket. She then said if I didn't want to pay 50 soles per person for them to print it, I would need to leave the airport and go look for a printer and come back before my flight left! How rude!! What kind of manager says something like that to a customer? There was clearly a discrepancy between what was on the e-ticket and the confirmation. I informed her that I only got the e-ticket the night before and showed her the date on the email and didn't have access to a printer in Lima. Her answer was " Well that means you've had at least 24 hrs to figure out how to print it." I don't know who taught this manager customer service skills, but if you want to be treated poorly by an airline, then fly viva air. I can more than afford the cost to print the ticket, but the way she handled the situation was absolutely horrible and ridiculous. Not only was she rude, but the employees who were near her were rude as well and started talking badly about my companion and I. They didn't realize that I understand enough Spanish to make out what some of the things they were saying. To make matters worse, when I asked the manager for the contact information for corporate, she told me she didn't know and couldn't give it to me. Stay far away from this airline and their rude employees and managers!
RouteLima to Cusco

"Terrible experience"

Not Verified | Cusco to Lima. Terrible experience. I bought a ticket for $53, and paid extra fees for $75. The first few was a checking fee, due to not printing my own. The second fee was for an extra carry on. The “additional carry on” was a 12 inch tube used to carry paintings. It was the only item in the over head, since my purse was in my lap. My husband flew with Latam and later Avianca, his overall expenses were mush less. Do not fly with this airline, the cheaper costs are not real.
RouteCusco to Lima