Viva Air

"They refused refunds"

Trip Verified | I had 2 different tickets via Viva Air but all the flights were suspended by the government and I wasn’t able to take the flight. They refused refunds. They told me That they were going to give me a voucher and I have to use it until November. But also they gave me deadline to reschedule my flights. It is so funny that I have to rebook again until 30th May. I told them so many times that I’m not going to be in the area to use it again. And we don’t know how virus will be spread! I will never use this airlines. Be careful before you book your flight. The customer service is terrible.
RouteLima to Bogota
Date FlownApril 2020

"they still refuse to refund"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Think twice before you book a ticket with Viva Air. I booked 3 tickets from Cusco to Lime for our tour in Peru. Viva Air first changes our flight times - but we could manage these times so we accept them. However, a few weeks later, Viva Air cancels our flight that day. We had to fly that day though, because our return flight to Europe was the following day. Although I requested refund from Viva Air via e-mail (it was not possible through their website), it took 3 weeks before they replied, and they constantly told me that they will give me a voucher, valid until November 2020. I told them on every occasion that I am not in Peru and cannot do anything with the voucher, they insisted that they will send me a voucher; they even stated that I requested a voucher via their website - which I definitely did not - and they did send me a voucher. I have now roughly sent 75 e-mails to Viva Air, but they still refuse to refund the money. I was in contact with the local authorities, but in order to start a case against Viva Air, I have to present myself in person with all documents ... Peruvian bureaucratie ... I still did not get any indication that Viva Air will refund my 200 US Dollar, so I would recommend passengers to book tickets at LATAM instead of Viva Air.
Date FlownApril 2020

"it's just really dishonest"

Trip Verified | In terms of the actual flying experience, the planes themselves are relatively new (at least the ones I flew in), I found there to be sufficient legroom, they were very clean and even comfortable. They tended to arrive and depart on time and there were minimal disruptions here. The problem lies within: 1) Booking anything on the website and; 2) Making any small misstep along your journey. I work in digital design and UX and like to think of myself as quite adept when it comes to booking flights online, either on my laptop or mobile. Until I needed to book flights with Vivaair. It works by automatically sticking on all these little extras through their "Combo++" packages, confuses you to the point where you don't know what you have paid for (they have these three packages which come pre-selected, or you can handpick your extras, and oftentimes "inadvertently" making you double up). I had to start again many times over, as it just became so convoluted - obviously intentionally designed to confuse you. Vivaiar's booking system is at best misleading (not to mention unethical) and makes Ryanair's website seem like a walk in the park. I just hate to think of the number of people it has conned out of their money this way which I'm sure is part of their business model. 2. So maybe this was partially my fault, I'm not sure. On one occasion I had to pay a proportionately hefty penalty for not having checked-in online and doing this at the airport instead. Fair enough. The second, was when at the time of my booking, I selected check-in luggage instead of extra carry-on luggage and paid a premium for this (my luggage was actually just a standard carry-on sized suitcase, I just had a backpack on me as well). On the day I arrived quite early to the gate. The staff at the desk here (who I struggled to communicate with in Spanish or English) made me aware that there was an issue, as I had not checked-in my bag. He said he would come back and rectify this for me (to which I was oblivious at the time), as he gestured for me to sit down. He, of course, never returned, and I was forced to pay £60 for this misdemeanour (this is in Colombia, mind you.). I would have been ok to pay a small fee as it was a misunderstanding on my part .. but £60 is enough to pay for one night at a very good hotel in the capital. Finally, one of my flights was cancelled from Lima to Bogota due to the COVID-19 crisis and government borders closing down. Vivaair sent me an email to say that this flight was cancelled (as expected), as Peru had already shut down all air traffic. Once I was back in London, I spoke to one of the customer service agents via their chat service about requesting a refund for this cancelled flight. The response I received was from their agent was "Sorry refunds aren't allowed. Any flights can('t) be refunded, besides the flight was not cancel(ed) by the airline, it was cancelled by the airport". Not to mention that I had to reconnect to the chat so many times, as the moment it takes you to the front of the queue, it gives you a mere few seconds until you are automatically disconnected sent to the back of the line. All in all, I now know why I was warned against this airline - it's just really dishonest and should really be called up on it.
RouteMedellin to Lima
Date FlownMarch 2020

"$50 for each carry on bag"

Trip Verified | Cusco to Lima. Worst airline ever. They charged us $50 for each carry on bag on the way there and on the way back. That’s including our personal items. Charged $50 for carrying a fanny pack! Ridiculous!
Date FlownMarch 2020

"cI would not recommend it"

Trip Verified | Cusco to Lima. Viva Air are supposed to be the most affordable airline but charge you for absolutely everything. We didn’t check in online 24hrs before (we don’t have data and we’re on an overnight bus) so had to pay 177 Soles ($80AUD) just to check in... I have never heard of this before. They purposely don’t seat you with your companions and then say if you’d like to change seat to be with your loved ones you can do so for an extra cost. I had a spare seat next to me and asked if my boyfriend could sit with me and he said only for extra cost... again I have never ever been on an airline that does such a thing. We weren’t given a complimentary beverage, we needed to pay for any refreshment. The ground staff were also very rude and unhelpful. This airline sucks and I would not recommend it.

"it wasn't worth it"

Not Verified | Got the cheapest tickets with Viva Air. I knew I chose Economy but for all the hassle it wasn't worth it. Very Long Queues, very unhelpful staff on the check in area. Had to pay loads of money just to seat near the 3 children travelling with me, then an even bigger amount to have the boarding pass re-printed (as my copy wasn't from a laser printer!!). Even though I had downloaded the tickets to my phone (as per their web-site), apparently they don't run that service!! All and all was just as expensive or more than any other bigger airline company.
RouteBogota to Pereira
Date FlownDecember 2019

"only 20kg checked luggage"

Trip Verified | Lima to Bogotá. The worst airline and entirely rip off. They allow only 20kg checked luggage. This is the most stressful and inconvenient airline we have discovered. It’s all about money grabbing airline. They do not think about travellers but just charging money for every single opportunity.
RouteLima to Bogotá
Date FlownMarch 2020

"worst airline I’ve ever flown"

Trip Verified | Lima to Cuzco. This is the worst airline I’ve ever flown. It’s almost like they try to be the worst. They charged us 130 Soles just to check infor the flight, which was the cost of the flight itself. The customer service is abysmal, the guy at the counter walked away with our change, another clerk had to call him to get him to come back. I’m pretty sure he was just hoping we’d leave and he’d keep the change. Their business model is offer cheap flights then scam you for all you’re worth.
RouteLima to Cuzco
Date FlownMarch 2020

"families are not sat together"

Not Verified | Santa Marta to Medellin. How is it possible that families are not sat together. Empty airplane and they only have emergency seats to sit us together for an extra charge. So rude and want to charge for everything.
RouteSanta Marta to Medellin
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"This is the worst airline"

Trip Verified | Bogotá to Santa Marta. This is the worst airline I have ever flown, their customer service is so poor and bad I have not words. They will charge even for a check in, their web site is trash, couldn’t use the check in and they blame me for it. They broke one of my suitcases and they said they are not responsible for any damage. I am so upset.
RouteBogotá to Santa Marta