Viva Air

"Ground service was terrible"

Trip Verified | It was not my first trip with Viva nor my only ticket bought. I have made biz with then multiple times. But for my return fly Medellin to Miami for return on 07/05/21 @ 9:02 the staff was a pain and she wasn’t friendly. She decided to close the fly super early even as some of us vague for her help while waiting for the covid test results. Technically she closed the flight in my nose while I was holding the test in my phone and kept repeating flight is closed like 45 minutes before departure time. Ground service was terrible.
RouteMiami to Medellin
Date FlownJuly 2021

"$30 dollars for my tiny carry on bag"

Not Verified | I decided to give Viva air a second chance but it has been one of the biggest mistakes I’ve ever made. My last experience was horrible and after complaining I received vouchers for the tickets that I had purchased. It turns out that when paying taxes for those tickets it was pretty much like buying a new ticket. The customer service is horrible! When I got to the airport this time I expressed my concern about not being able to check in online and the answer that I got is that I made a mistake and I would have to pay $25 dollars for them to check us in. Then, I said that I had a small carry on suitcase to bring with me and their trick is that if your “personal item” doesn’t fit in the box that they have designed to measure your luggage you have to pay extra. Well, my bag was too big (for the box) and I ended up paying $30 dollars for my tiny carry on bag to be checked. Am I using this airline again? No way! T
RouteBogota to Cartagena
Date FlownJune 2021

"This was a terrible experience"

Trip Verified | This was a terrible experience. We had to return to our hotel because of some items left behind and tried to send our adult kids ahead of us knowing that we were going to miss our flight and the airline did everything they could to make this experience impossible. The lady helping them couldn’t have be any worse. We then bought tickets on Avianca and it was a very pleasant end to a bad day.
RouteMedellin to Bogota
Date FlownMarch 2021

"They issue only vouchers"

Not Verified | Please do yourself a favor and save yourself a headache and losing money. Do not book on this airline! They are booking customers on flights, taking payment and days or a week later cancelling flights & rebooking passengers on flights on different days without consent. I confirmed with 3 Viva Air agents by telephone prior to booking these tickets that their flights were running on time and not being canceled. Each assured me the bookings on their online website were legitimate and safe to book. Then they cancel your flight and hopefully, you are fortunate to even find out that they have done so. Now they have your money and will not issue a refund. This is Viva Air problem, their mistake, which should be taken care of by Viva Air not put the burden on their customers. They issue only vouchers. What good is a voucher that we will never be able to use? What a rip off! Don't be the next victim.
RouteMedellin to Miami
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"cheap flights turn out to be expensive"

Trip Verified | I searched on their website for two tickets one-way. The price for two was $40 more than buy them individually. I figure because we were going to sit next to each other. Well then I was charged extra for seat selection. When we arrived we were charge again 140000 COP to check in! Also, we were not give the seats next to each other and I was charge extra for this. Viva Air is simply a horrible company. They will not refund any of my money. They said it was my fault because I should have said something. Well being blind-sighted by additional fees, yes I did not noticed the seats were not next to each other. Over $150 additional fees. Their cheap flights turn out to be expensive.
RouteRiohacha to Bogota
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"intransigent and unethical"

(Peru)

Trip Verified | Do not fly with Viva Air. I have traveled with quite a few agencies, but this is the most intransigent and unethical I know of on the market. Their economic cost does not compensate for the terrible service they offer. On the Lima to Cuzco route, my carry-on bag was measured and I was allowed to travel because the excess of 2 cm (seriously 2 cm) was from the suitcase design. Upon return, they made me remove the straps from the backpack because the manager happened to measure the excess with a ruler, leaving my backpack damaged. Wait a bit or pay a few more estimated dollars. No vuelen con Viva Air!! He viajado con bastantes agencias, pero esta es la más intransigente y poco ética que conozco del mercado. Su costo económico no compensa el pésimo servicio que ofrecen. En la ruta Lima a Cuzco se me midió la maleta de mano y se me permitió viajar porque el excedente de 2 cm (en serio 2 cm) era del diseño de la maleta. Al retorno, me hicieron desmontar los fierros de la mochila porque al encargado se le ocurrió medir con una regla ese excedente, quedando estropeada mi mochila. Esperen un poco o pague unos dólares más estimados
RouteCuzco to Lima
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"excuse to keep their customers’ money."

Trip Verified | Viva Ar has recently cancelled my Lima-Cusco-Lima flights and issued me a voucher minus an administrative fee for the cancellation that they initiated! The voucher has a 180 day validity. They blame the Peruvian government's attempts to control the Covid-19 pandemic and completely ignored the following arguments: First, for Viva Air to charge an administrative fee for a cancellation that they have initiated is simply outrageous and in violation of standard airline practices. In fact, if an airline cancels flight because of bad weather or a disaster due to a tornado, for example, the standard and decent practice is to give customers a full refund for the moneys paid. The Covid-19 pandemic is actually worse than any weather disaster and a full refund is legitimately due. Second, for Viva Air to arbitrarily impose a 180 day limit on the use of the voucher under the uncertainties of the current pandemic conditions is not acceptable either. As the Peruvian experience of the last 5-6 months indicates, it s completely unpredictable when it would be possible for tourists to safely travel without risking their lives or well being. Specifically, there is no certainty about any of the following: (1) Whether some airports will be open or closed and when, and what other means of transportation will be available to tourists. In fact, air, train, and bus transportation has been prohibited for weeks, on and off, in most regions, provinces, and cities in Peru. (2) What travel restrictions will be imposed and what points of interests and attractions will be open or closed to the tourists. (3) What regions, provinces, or cities will be quarantined, when, and for how long. Not knowing this, tourists may be trapped in a quarantined place for weeks. (4) Peru is actually one of the countries with more severe problems due to the Covid-19 pandemic in South America. Thus, weekly repatriation flights for U.S. citizens and legal residents have been implemented since the pandemic started according to the U.S. Embassy in Lima and the State Department STEP (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program). This alone indicates that everything related to the Covid-19 pandemic is very unstable in Peru and it is impossible to plan any travel for an undetermined period of time. (5) How long the mandatory stay-at-home order for people 65 years old or older will last, or when it will be reinstated if lifted. This is something that may affect different regions, provinces, or cities at different times, imposing a severe displacement or travel restriction on any senior traveller or tourist. In fact, I am currently a 77 years old U.S. citizen and simply cannot travel under these circumstances. In brief, Viva Air owners and administrators are using the Peruvian government attempts to control the Covid-19 pandemic as an excuse to keep their customers’ money. This is one of the most disgusting, unfair, and unethical airline practices that could ever be implemented.
RouteLima to Cusco
Date FlownAugust 2020

"they refuse to refund us"

Trip Verified | We were supposed to fly with VivaAir in May, but our flights were cancelled due to COVID-19. Even though under US International law they are obligated to give us a cash refund for flights they canceled, they refuse to refund us. They will only give us a voucher that has to be used in 6 months. Unacceptable. They are operating illegally, taking advantage of ignorant people, and a sham of a company. Do not let anyone you know fly with them.
RouteLima to Cusco
Date FlownMay 2020

"They refused refunds"

Trip Verified | I had 2 different tickets via Viva Air but all the flights were suspended by the government and I wasn’t able to take the flight. They refused refunds. They told me That they were going to give me a voucher and I have to use it until November. But also they gave me deadline to reschedule my flights. It is so funny that I have to rebook again until 30th May. I told them so many times that I’m not going to be in the area to use it again. And we don’t know how virus will be spread! I will never use this airlines. Be careful before you book your flight. The customer service is terrible.
RouteLima to Bogota
Date FlownApril 2020

"they still refuse to refund"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Think twice before you book a ticket with Viva Air. I booked 3 tickets from Cusco to Lime for our tour in Peru. Viva Air first changes our flight times - but we could manage these times so we accept them. However, a few weeks later, Viva Air cancels our flight that day. We had to fly that day though, because our return flight to Europe was the following day. Although I requested refund from Viva Air via e-mail (it was not possible through their website), it took 3 weeks before they replied, and they constantly told me that they will give me a voucher, valid until November 2020. I told them on every occasion that I am not in Peru and cannot do anything with the voucher, they insisted that they will send me a voucher; they even stated that I requested a voucher via their website - which I definitely did not - and they did send me a voucher. I have now roughly sent 75 e-mails to Viva Air, but they still refuse to refund the money. I was in contact with the local authorities, but in order to start a case against Viva Air, I have to present myself in person with all documents ... Peruvian bureaucratie ... I still did not get any indication that Viva Air will refund my 200 US Dollar, so I would recommend passengers to book tickets at LATAM instead of Viva Air.
RouteCusco to Lima