Viva Air

"have the worst customer service"

Trip Verified | Viva Air is a low cost airline but be careful! They have the worst customer service. Cheap airlines have always the worst policies. I was charged $60.000 Colombian pesos, just to get a boarding pass printed, because it wasn’t sent in advance before the flight. What a rip off!  I guess you get what you pay for
RouteMedellin to Bogotá
Date FlownApril 2022

"Don't travel with them!"

Not Verified | A terrible company. They made a surbooking for a Flight that was supposed to leave at 6:30, but this one was 2 hours delayed and we were around 12 Persons not able to fly. No information given, nothing. Nobody knew how to help us. We were supposed to jump on a next flight 7:30pm or 8:30pm but they told us that we will not fly on that day but the next one. So you I was stuck in Mexico City, tired after all this thing, and no refund has been done. Don't travel with them!
RouteMexico City to Cancun
Date FlownMay 2022

"many hidden prices"

Not Verified | Medellin to Miami. This airline is the worst airline I have ever flown. They have many hidden prices, the seats are very uncomfortable (worse than Spirit) their customer service is terrible and very careless. With everything you pay for this airline in extras, you pay for a much better one and even in first class. What a way to steal from people.
RouteMedellin to Miami
Date FlownApril 2022

"you still have to go to a counter"

Trip Verified | Paid for all the extras, including the “we will do the check in for you” bs which is just a scam, for the tickets not to be delivered to your phone, and you still have to go to a counter. The fact that there wasn’t a single people in line when everyone else was busy, should have been telling, please stay away from this airline.
RouteCancun to Medellin
Date FlownApril 2022

"first and last time with Viva Air"

(Colombia)

Not Verified | This was my first and last time with Viva Air. There is something really wrong with how this low budget airline thinks when it comes to UX design and their Ethics on how they make money. It is incredible that I had booked a ticket for a short trip - 3 days for $270,000 Colombian pesos and ended up paying $600,000 in extras I "somehow agreed". Instead of me activating all the additional expenses as a personal choice (Extra bag, Printing tickets, Express line, Insurance, etc) all those were by default activated for me. It was "my responsibility" to check in detail page after page and make sure all of those were unticked. So after going through a process of reading carefully each page making sure you did not add by accident any additional unwanted and unnecessary additions, oh! surprised you ended up with a bill that is double the original ticket price. I understand you need to be careful when booking a low budget Ticket, but this is another level. This website was designed for people to make mistakes and then hide behind the Terms and Conditions policy making sure you pay for every single mistake made. After my mistake I immediately called the call centre to try to rectify it ... to my surprise I was received by a call centre agent prepared to shoot me with all their policies, procedures, terms and conditions as a learned script. Turns out they do not offer any customer refunds. This airline receives hundreds of complaints of people experiencing similar issues on a daily basis. Calls like mine are their constant, as their tricks work and people end up confused and do not untick one, two, or all 6 extra unnecessary features. It is not ok to know you have a system that is designed this way and still have the guts to pick up the phone and blame it on the user. This makes me sad, angry and frustrated. If this review prevents you from making the same mistake of doing business with this sort of unethical business at least this frustration will have a purpose. Extras should be unticked and people should decide what to add. I don't go to the supermarket with a cart full of stuff and on the counter start selecting what I don't want to take with me. That is not how business should work. Shame on you Viva Air.
Date FlownMarch 2022

"told me that the flight was closed"

Trip Verified | I was traveling from Cartagena Medellin, Medellin Miami and I got confused and arrived 10 minutes late to the desk and they told me that the flight was closed. They realized at that time that someone with my name was inside the plane, so they never page me. They have to hold the plane for more than half an hour to clarify that the person inside the plane have another name and no mine, and still they denied us. For that reason, we have to flight back to Miami with Spirit Airlines and paid more than $400 each for our tickets. Terrible airline, was my first and my last trip with them.
RouteMedellin to Miami
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"customer service was horrible"

Trip Verified | Overcharged 2 Times The Cost of Fare. Our family of 4, used Viva Air for 2-way travel to and from Lima and Cusco. We were forced to pay, in an unfair and unjust manner. In addition the customer service was horrible and so was the airport and in-flight experience. Baggage check unfairly charged, from Lima to Cusco USD $160. Baggage check in unfairly charged, from Cusco to Lima USD $94. Flight change fare unfairly charged, from Cusco to Lima USD $60. Flight change negative balance not refunded - from Lima to Cusco USD 25 as well as from Cusco to Lima, that we should have been refunded To be clear, I am pursuing this matter with Viva for a refund. In addition, the flight experience was pathetic. No Customer Service – Both sides (Lima to Cusco) we were assigned random seats. We requested to be given at least 2 seats together so that one parent could sit with one child at least. However, your staff was insensitive and rude. They were forcing us to pay more money and ultimately refused to give us seats together. On the return journey, my daughter was sick and was throwing up – I tried to request the agent on the gate but she refused to support (even though the flight was about 50% occupied!). Bad comfort on flight - No water, no table space to keep even one book. No flight attendants checking on my daughter who was sick. No help during check-in (in fact trying to force us to buy faster check in access or else wait in line for 45 minutes!).
RouteCusco to Lima
Date FlownDecember 2021

"my luggage never arrived"

Trip Verified | After paying $70 to check my luggage, it never arrived at my destination. I filled out the paperwork with the attendant and tried to follow up with two emails that never received replies. I call them and the representative told me they’d contact me in five to seven days. It’s now been nine days and not a peep. They’ve basically stolen my luggage.
RouteMexico City to Medellin
Date FlownDecember 2021

"cannot re-iterate how awful they were"

Trip Verified | Make sure you check in online before arriving at the airport or they will charge you $16 to check in. Do not be tempted to buy your ticket with an agency or third party when traveling with them as they will claim you have 'outstanding balance' and make you pay for it. I paid $99 for a checked bag, they claimed they didn't receive the payment, charged me a fine $65 at the airport in Bogota. On my return journey to they claimed my bag was included only for the outward journey, so now on return I have to pay another $65 fine to check my bag in. Overall I payed over $400 for a journey that wasn't worth it. The stress they caused is completely unacceptable. Again, cannot re-iterate how awful they were.
RouteBogota to Lima

"the worst airline ever"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | This is the worst airline ever. They showed a price on the screen of about 300 Euros for a return flight between Cal and Santa Martha for two people. I specifically took care in not accepting any of the extra services they offered. My surprise comes when we received the email with the confirmation of the payment. It appears as if we have clicked yes to every extra additional service they offered and, we have requested it twice for every passenger. Now the price is 2 times higher. We contacted them immediately and at least five times later. The answer is always the same. Nothing can be done, if you cancel we give you a voucher minus taxes and administrative costs. Of note, the first employee who answered the call told us that their system was experiencing some problems. I read the reviews after, should have done before. Please avoid them.
RouteCali to Santa Marta