Virgin Australia

Virgin Australia customer review

Melbourne-Hobart-Melbourne in Economy. Had only carry-on bags and checked in online so we were able to bypass the horrendous queues at Melbourne Airport. Flights were 45 and 30 minutes late departing Melbourne and Hobart respectively and there weren't any updates - either to the departure gate display boards or by way of public announcements - to waiting passengers at either airport resulting in many people approaching the departure desks to query staff. During both flights flight crew apologised for the late departure which was said to be due to 'delays with incoming aircraft'. Apart from those aspects the flights were satisfactory; very clean aircraft comfortable seating and friendly and competent cabin staff. There isn't a great range of snacks on these mid-morning flights but what is available is likely to be sufficient for most passengers given there's only about an hour's flying time in each direction.

Virgin Australia customer review

Sydney to Bali Bali to Sydney. Very poor service unfriendly staff no radio or TV on board food is not included and what is offered for additional charge is of a very low standard. On the way from Bali we were stuck at the airport because there was no information of the board about check in counter or gate number. We were waiting 1.5 hours and only after asking someone (no information desk) we were referred to counters 53 to 57 where Virgin normally does its check in. After going there we found that the check in was almost completed. We were the last couple in the queue although we arrived at the airport 2.5 hours in advance. Staff on the plane were unfriendly we were sitting at the back of the plane with a few vacant rows behind us. I have requested a flight attendant to let me occupy a row behind us so we could stretch and sleep through overnight flight. She said that she would let me know. However other passengers and crew members occupied those rows and I never was allowed to go there. It was freezing cold on the plane but no blankets were offered to the passengers although all crew members had their jumpers and blankets on. I would never fly again with Virgin and would never recommend it to other people.

Virgin Australia customer review

My daughter and myself recently traveled to Bali on 29/01/13. I was very disappointed in the service we received. The flight was not full quite a few empty seats. The cabin crew only came through once to offer refreshments and anything else we may have required we had to use our buzzer to gain their attention. Seeing it was a 6 hour flight I assumed we would have had better service. At one point I did enquire if they had any paracetamol available the flight attendant said yes and went to get them but she never returned. I feel we were an inconvenience to them rather than part of their job. Very disappointing.

Virgin Australia customer review

First time travelling in business class on a flight from MEL to MCY. Cabin supervisor was polite very approachable and looked after the needs of all in business. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the crew members. Comfortable seats great spread of food and endless drinks. The Samsung player was good. First one was low on battery but was quickly replaced. Headphones were of sufficient standard. However I did end up swapping for my own personal set. Always a pleasure to travel with Virgin Australia.

Virgin Australia customer review

Arrived at Sydney Airport for our flight to Townsville 1.5 hours before our flight departure time and joined the most horrendous queue that snaked almost out the door. Absolute chaos in the terminal and people just making up lines ad hoc. We stood and waited. We had a 10.05 am flight and at 9.40am we still had at least 15 people ahead of us in the queue. Listened for announcements regarding our flight - nothing. Finally I pushed my way to the front of the line in order to flag a passing Virgin staff member who was milling around. She ushered my husband and I to a counter had a quick check on her screen and said 'Nope you've missed that flight you should have checked in by now'! She tried to tell us that there were numerous announcements for passengers flying to Townsville to approach one of the end counters. We demanded to speak to the supervisor on duty she eventually conceded that sometimes when they are 'experiencing high passenger volumes' that some things (like relevant PA announcements about flights) can be overlooked! We got put on another flight via Brisbane and were given $60 in meal vouchers of which we used $16 on the flight to buy a couple of cans of drink and some chips - not much else available! Don't just stand in line assuming that Virgin will let you know what is going on. If you can see that time is passing and you are still not checked in go to the head of the queue and ask what is happening otherwise you may have your flight closed too and depending on how booked subsequent flights are you may even get on the next flight.

Virgin Australia customer review

MEL-DPS on VA4153 02/02/12. Flight time to Bali 5.45. Load factor about 75%. First time flying VA International and was pleasantly surprised. Flight was on a Boeing 737-800 used for domestic flights but it was spacious and comfortable with the new Boeing Sky interior fitted on newer 777's. Traveling in a party of 5 adults and one infant aged 8 months the crew were fantastic with the baby engaging and nothing was too much trouble. Will definitely fly Virgin on International Short Haul again.

Virgin Australia customer review

Brisbane to Sydney DJ958 on 27/1/2013. Scheduled flight departure 15.00. Flight departure was constantly changed and by 18.00 the flight was cancelled (BNE bad weather). Rebooked on flight VA9842 due to depart at 19.05. Boarded this flight and eventually left the terminal and got as far as to the runway. Aircraft returned back to the terminal again around 22.30 after sitting for 2 hours on the aircraft. I am assuming the real reason for the return was the fact the aircraft would not have made it to Sydney before the 23.00 curfew rather than as claimed the bad weather. No refreshments offered on the aircraft and had to ask for water. After disembarking Virgin staff disappeared. No assistance from anyone and customers were left to fend for themselves.

Virgin Australia customer review

Never again! LAX-Sydney Connecting flight was slightly late but they gave up my seat to another passenger. Finally got on after extreme protest and onboard was OK. Ground staff at LAX were the most rude I have experienced.

Virgin Australia customer review

Two excellent flights with VA from Melbourne to Adelaide to Melbourne over Australia Day Weekend. Unfortunately both flights were delayed due to the floods in FNQ but this was not VA's fault. The airline kept us up to date throughout both delays. I was very impressed with the cabin service - the new uniforms look very smart as do the new leather seats. I love the interior colours and the purple perspex separating economy and business class.

(New Zealand)

Wellington-Brisbane-Denpasar return. Tried to leave Wellington on Monday flight VA0067 to Brisbane on the 21/1/2013. Arrived at the airport at 4 am and was told that the aircraft had broken down as was going to Christchurch to be fixed - advised to wait until the afternoon flight. We didn't get on the afternoon flight and left the following day no apology nothing. Tried to leave Denpasar 27/1/2013 VA 4196 - waited 2 hours in the queue where the computer crashed time and again. The only time that those waiting knew something was when a passenger went onto the Virgin website and discovered that the flight was delayed 6 hours. Ground staff had no idea what was going on and our baggage has never been seen again. Virgin advised they would supply lunch and dinner and it was the same food for both a sandwich rice or noodles. As a result booked into a transit lounge to get away from the hard seats and the hoards of disgruntled passengers. Arrived finally in Brisbane yes there was a storm but again ground staff could not care.