Vietnam Airlines

"staff insisted to give her meal"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | My Flight had been delayed for 1 hour more therefore I Missed airport transfer, the meal they provided is only 1 choice, it was a Vietnamese Bread with Pork. As a person that is prohibited to eat pork I couldn't eat that food. Good thing was only the staff had insisted to give her only meal to be given to me which is small bread without any filling. p
RouteNha Trang to Hanoi
Date FlownJuly 2020

"happy to sign the disclaimer form"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Horrible experience. The staff during the check in were clueless. They told us we have to check in again at Hanoi for the international flight due to the visa (I had visa issued by Korean goverment). Once arrived at Hanoi Airport one staff of Vietnam airlines was waiting for us to inform us that one of our baggage has lost the id labels and they cannot transfer to the plane to fly to Incheon so we had to go to the luggage belt to get our suitcase. Once at the check in counter at Hanoi airport, they didn't know out of my 3 suitcases which one was the one without id tag. Also they did not want to allow me to fly, because as they said my visa will be rejected in Korea. Finally I convinced them saying that I will be happy to sign the disclaimer form to release them from any responsibility in case if I got rejected; obviously one in Korea I did not have any problem with my visa. I will not fly with Vietnam Airlines again
RouteHanoi to Incheon via Ho Chi Minh
Date FlownJuly 2020

"we were not permitted to board"

Trip Verified | We arrived at Heathrow airport to travel to Sydney via Vietnam on the 18th March 2020. There was already an issue when we arrived, as travelers were being turned away in the line in front of us. The counters were cordoned off and there were Vietnam Airline staff, airport staff and police stationed at the entrance to that section. We learnt that Vietnam Airlines were refusing to board anyone who was not a Vietnam National, due to Covid-19. Despite having Australian passports a visa for Vietnam and a booked Vietnam Airlines flight to Sydney, we were not permitted to board. There was no-one stationed at the Vietnam Airlines Support counter either at anytime. We phoned, emailed, messaged our travel agent numerous times and also phoned Vietnam Airlines a dozen times without being able to speak to anybody. We had purchased business class tickets for our return to Australia. We were eventually able to secure economy tickets from another airline to fly home via Singapore. Since our return we have sent numerous emails. Our travel agent informs us that Vietnam Airlines have stated that they will not refund 'partially used tickets' and because we got ourselves to Europe, they don't have to refund us. They recorded all non-Vietnamese citizens as 'no-shows', despite the fact that we were not permitted to reach the check-in counters. It is three months on and we have been told we will not be able to receive any refund for our flights; despite the fact that is was their responsibility to board us or arrange alternative flights for us. The airlines are to their detriment, incredibly poor communicators; the irony of yelling at passengers whilst continuing to welcome us to travel again. Unfortunately, there is no chance we would use this airline again, nor would we recommend them.
RouteLondon to Sydney via Ho Chi Minh City,
Date FlownMarch 2020

"told me that I won't get any refund"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | I booked a flight with Vietnam Airlines before the covid crisis. As so many flights, it got cancelled, not their fault at all. They offered me a rebooking, which I had to pay an additional fee for. Now they cancelled my second flight, too, and told me that I won't get any refund, not even a voucher. This is unacceptable, they keep my money, make me pay a fee for a flight change and now keep that too.
RouteTokyo to Hanoi
Date FlownMay 2020

"it’s hard to get your money back"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | My flight is supposed to be a round trip. When Vietnam Airlines cancelled my flight back, they only want to refund me MYR42. That is not even a ticket price. So, I wanted a ticket change, they charged me 20€ only to cancel the flight again. I asked for a refund, and they want to refund me only MYR127. I refuse to accept that Covid19 is the reason because they only canceled part of my flight. If they can fly from KUL-SGN, and cancelled SGN-FRA without wanting to refund me, then it isn’t even Covid19. So I do not know why they won’t refund me what I have rights to. How could they just refund me such meagre amount? It is unacceptable. Also, they haven’t replied me after I tried to contact them many times. I have spent so much Skype credits to contact them but all was in vain. They have nice in-flight comfort and all. However, when faced with issues like this, it’s hard to get your money back or even to get an answer from them.
RouteFrankfurt to Kuala Lumpur via Ho Chi Minh

"Wifi does not exist"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Dalat to Hanoi in December 2019, a domestic 1hr 45 mins flight. A cheap airline pretending to be something else. With new LCC luggage restrictions, a malfunctioning website Vietnam Airlines disappointed me now becoming a low-cost carrier and competing solely on price. Seats are the same as everyone else. Wifi does not exist. Inflight entertainment: 30+ minutes of ads. F&B not happening for me.
RouteDalat to Hanoi
Date FlownDecember 2019

"my experience here has been nothing but terrible"

Trip Verified | Unfortunately having a terrible experience with this airline. I work in the travel industry in Australia and the communication with the staff has been awful. Slow to respond (if ever) and avoiding the refund of my tickets. The issue has been ongoing for 4 months now, before the Corona Virus was even a major issue. I booked online which in their policies, says you can get a refund. I normally am super positive and like to support the travel industry in as many ways possible, however my experience here has been nothing but terrible. The airline still holds $2600 of my money after acknowledging they would refund me. They are just delaying the process. Will not be recommending Vietnam Airlines to any of my clients travelling to Asia. They may have got $2600 out of me but they will lose so much more business moving forward due to the way they are handling their clients in times of crises. I was sympathetic and very patient with them, but now when I require a little bit back from them, even just an email of communication, it is ignored. Poor form VN.
RouteMelbourne to Hanoi via Ho Chi Minh
Date FlownApril 2020

"only water for the whole long haul flight"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Flew from Da Nang - (via Ho Chi Minh) Melbourne 20/03/20. This flight was sold as a "full Service" flight, however when we got on the plane we were told there was no alcohol being served due to covid 19 - I then asked about other drinks, juice, tea coffee, they said no, only water for the whole long haul flight! I was never informed this by email or at check in that the flight service was changing, we were never given a choice to refund or offered any compensation. They did feed us, but the food was very very bad. Pasta salad, a main of (again) pasta, bread. No veg, no fruit. Breakfast was (you guessed it pasta), noodles with meat (there was no choice if you were vegetarian) and a terrible baby food type of custard which was absolutely disgusting, no coffee, no tea. The seats were incredibly uncomfortable also and the plane was completely full, but they had seats in business and first and did not bother to upgrade anyone - even if requested. Also, in the first instance they were not even going to let me board as they told me I could not transit through Australia and I did not have visa, I am from NZ and was allowed to do so, I finally called embassies in Vietnam, NZ and Australia after waiting more than an hour in Da Nang and then also Ho Chi Minh. Eventually, I called border force myself in Melbourne who said of course I could come, and I had to hand over phone to Vietnam Airlines check in staff, so they would finally allow me to check in. Terrible service. If I could give no stars I would!
RouteHo Chi Minh to Melbourne
Date FlownMarch 2020

"ask about cancelling my trip"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | I called Vietnam Airlines to ask about cancelling my trip and ask if I can get refund or not. Although my ticket is super saver ticket, but I still want to make sure again. They answer fast, but I cannot hear anything. Then when I could hear them, they answer immediately, but they stop the call suddenly when I did not finish my questions. I really want to say bad word to him. I have to say that customer service of Vietnam Airlines is bad.
RouteHo Chi Minh to Ha Noi
Date FlownMarch 2020

"seat was very comfortable"

Trip Verified | LHR to HCMC in Premium Economy. Seat configuration was 2-3-2 on the B787 and as we were travelling in a group of 3 so had chosen the middle three seats. Legroom was good for Premium Economy and better than we had experienced in either BA or EVA. Although the plane was only around 5 years old, the interior seemed slightly tired and some of the seat recline functions were very stiff, however the seat was very comfortable. The flight left on time and drinks service followed by lunch was soon served. Food was ok, I chose the braised codfish with noodles, which was tasty. Inflight entertainment worked well and with reasonable selection. Flight landed on time and luggage delivered quickly. We paid £500 extra over economy for LHR to HCMC return, which we thought good value.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Ho Chi Minh City