Vietnam Airlines

"Wifi does not exist"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Dalat to Hanoi in December 2019, a domestic 1hr 45 mins flight. A cheap airline pretending to be something else. With new LCC luggage restrictions, a malfunctioning website Vietnam Airlines disappointed me now becoming a low-cost carrier and competing solely on price. Seats are the same as everyone else. Wifi does not exist. Inflight entertainment: 30+ minutes of ads. F&B not happening for me.
RouteDalat to Hanoi
Date FlownDecember 2019

"my experience here has been nothing but terrible"

Trip Verified | Unfortunately having a terrible experience with this airline. I work in the travel industry in Australia and the communication with the staff has been awful. Slow to respond (if ever) and avoiding the refund of my tickets. The issue has been ongoing for 4 months now, before the Corona Virus was even a major issue. I booked online which in their policies, says you can get a refund. I normally am super positive and like to support the travel industry in as many ways possible, however my experience here has been nothing but terrible. The airline still holds $2600 of my money after acknowledging they would refund me. They are just delaying the process. Will not be recommending Vietnam Airlines to any of my clients travelling to Asia. They may have got $2600 out of me but they will lose so much more business moving forward due to the way they are handling their clients in times of crises. I was sympathetic and very patient with them, but now when I require a little bit back from them, even just an email of communication, it is ignored. Poor form VN.
RouteMelbourne to Hanoi via Ho Chi Minh
Date FlownApril 2020

"only water for the whole long haul flight"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Flew from Da Nang - (via Ho Chi Minh) Melbourne 20/03/20. This flight was sold as a "full Service" flight, however when we got on the plane we were told there was no alcohol being served due to covid 19 - I then asked about other drinks, juice, tea coffee, they said no, only water for the whole long haul flight! I was never informed this by email or at check in that the flight service was changing, we were never given a choice to refund or offered any compensation. They did feed us, but the food was very very bad. Pasta salad, a main of (again) pasta, bread. No veg, no fruit. Breakfast was (you guessed it pasta), noodles with meat (there was no choice if you were vegetarian) and a terrible baby food type of custard which was absolutely disgusting, no coffee, no tea. The seats were incredibly uncomfortable also and the plane was completely full, but they had seats in business and first and did not bother to upgrade anyone - even if requested. Also, in the first instance they were not even going to let me board as they told me I could not transit through Australia and I did not have visa, I am from NZ and was allowed to do so, I finally called embassies in Vietnam, NZ and Australia after waiting more than an hour in Da Nang and then also Ho Chi Minh. Eventually, I called border force myself in Melbourne who said of course I could come, and I had to hand over phone to Vietnam Airlines check in staff, so they would finally allow me to check in. Terrible service. If I could give no stars I would!
RouteHo Chi Minh to Melbourne
Date FlownMarch 2020

"ask about cancelling my trip"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | I called Vietnam Airlines to ask about cancelling my trip and ask if I can get refund or not. Although my ticket is super saver ticket, but I still want to make sure again. They answer fast, but I cannot hear anything. Then when I could hear them, they answer immediately, but they stop the call suddenly when I did not finish my questions. I really want to say bad word to him. I have to say that customer service of Vietnam Airlines is bad.
RouteHo Chi Minh to Ha Noi
Date FlownMarch 2020

"seat was very comfortable"

Trip Verified | LHR to HCMC in Premium Economy. Seat configuration was 2-3-2 on the B787 and as we were travelling in a group of 3 so had chosen the middle three seats. Legroom was good for Premium Economy and better than we had experienced in either BA or EVA. Although the plane was only around 5 years old, the interior seemed slightly tired and some of the seat recline functions were very stiff, however the seat was very comfortable. The flight left on time and drinks service followed by lunch was soon served. Food was ok, I chose the braised codfish with noodles, which was tasty. Inflight entertainment worked well and with reasonable selection. Flight landed on time and luggage delivered quickly. We paid £500 extra over economy for LHR to HCMC return, which we thought good value.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"the service is ok and good value"

Trip Verified | HCMC to LHR in Premium Economy. Flight boarded on time and departed on schedule. As in our outbound flight from London, the aircraft seemed quite tired and some of the seat functions very stiff, even though this was a different aircraft. Supper served soon after departure, I chose the stewed beef which was quite chewy, but tasty! Cabin crew were reasonably attentive but as they were wearing masks it was sometimes difficult to communicate. Cabin lights soon dimmed and I got a reasonable amount of sleep. Breakfast served prior to landing and the pork with noodles was very tasty. Premium Economy on the B787 has two dedicated toilets and these were kept clean throughout the flight. Overall a good flight and whilst Vietnam Airlines may lack a little compared to some of the other Asian carriers, however the service is ok and good value.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to London Heathrow
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Quite happy to use Vietnam Airlines"

Trip Verified | Siem Reap to HCMC in economy class. Check in at Siem Reap, very quick as was passport control and security. Flight boarded early and left 20 minutes ahead of schedule. Flight less than half full and landed in HCMC well ahead of schedule. We were seated in row 18, reasonable legroom and recline. The flight was only 50 minutes and therefore no meal service, however a bottle of water was provide to each passenger. Quite happy to use Vietnam Airlines.
RouteSiem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City

Vietnam Airlines customer review

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Hanoi to Bangkok. The airline just rescheduled my round trip flight and only sent me email a day before departure. Due this I need reschedule my trip as I traveling with pet. They cut the luggage for check in bag which I did not see during online reservation. They didn't give food on board only a bottle of water. Terrible service to me by check in staff.
RouteHanoi to Bangkok
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"they reschedule the flights"

(Argentina)

Trip Verified | Danang to Ho Chi Minh City. This is the second time we travel during this trip with Vietnam Airlines. Both times they reschedule the flights, letting us know one day before and then they delayed the flights again in the airport. On board it's okay, but it's annoying arriving later than you planned and staying more time waiting in the airport.
RouteDanang to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"2 hour delay on my flight"

Trip Verified | Ha Noi to Da Nang. There was a 2 hour delay on my flight, but I was not told until I got to the airport. The information on their app is also crap. It only shows general flight information and does not reflect the delays on the flight. At one point during the delay, the screens around the airport showed that our fight had already taken off. We had to run around to find someone to ask about it. Eventually, we got hold of a staff member and ask her. Only then we realised that the screens were not correct. No apology and no explanation was received. A few days later, I had another flight with Vietnam Airlines from Hue to Saigon, there was another hour delay.
RouteHa Noi to Da Nang