Vietnam Airlines

"it did not disappoint"

Trip Verified | First time trying this 4 star airline and based on the prices it charged, it did not disappoint. First flight to Ho Chi Minh City was in a A350 with 1-2-1 lie flat staggered seats. The seats were visibly narrower than the Boeing 787’s reverse herringbone seats. Food was almost inedible but since the Changi Airport Terminal 4 lounge was quite good, we did not mind. Once in Ho Chi Minh City, the 3rd floor lounge was filled to the brim and we were brought to a first floor lounge. Food was below par except for spring rolls. Second sector in Boeing 787’s reverse herringbone 1-2-1 full flat seats (very similar to Finnair’s). Slept OK. All flights were on time and we even arrived in London 45 mins earlier than schedule. On each flight, there was 2-3 very attentive FA with the others being less helpful (more training needed). Did not take the supper but breakfasts was tasty, albeit too small portions. Toilets not as clean. Entertainment not as varied with only about 5 Chinese movies. Overall, recommended to give this airline a try. Keep on improving, Vietnam Airlines.
AircraftA350 / Boeing 787
RouteSingapore to London via Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownNovember 2019

"seems to be getting better"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Ho Chi Minh to Denpasar. Platinum skyteam member on Vietnam Airlines. Overall a solid airline that seems to be getting better, however 3 main areas for improvement: 1 Almost all domestic and short haul intl flights under 5 hours you get no IFE. New 787s and A350s are good. Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi route is only domestic route to serve meals, and then only during meal time. Off meal time its dry snacks. On time departure rates are lower than officially stated.
RouteHo Chi Minh to Denpasar
Date FlownNovember 2019

"Excellent experience from check-in to arrival"

Trip Verified | Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City. Excellent experience from check-in to arrival. I was surprised by the high quality of the meal for a 2hr+ flight. Good entertainment was also available. If you fly Vietnam Airlines business class I recommend that you try to select a wide-body flight such as A350 or B787. My past experience with their A32x business class is way below this standard, although it might be worth the price just for the airport experience if you are departing from Hanoi or Saigon.
RouteHanoi to Ho Chi Minh City

"My trip is good"

(Vietnam)

Not Verified | Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City and it was normal. My seat is okay, the entertainment is bad, it don't have anything expect some chess game. The price that time is cheap, only about 1,3 million VND already include VAT. Ground service in Hanoi is okay, but in Ho Chi Minh city it was not. Staff are the best, I ask anything they answer all. My trip is good.
AircraftA330-200
RouteHanoi to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownDecember 2018

"Friendly, attentive and enthusiastic"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Paris to Hanoi. This is my first time flying business class. Hence I do not have much experience with luxury on the sky. But Vietnam Airlines definitely made a great job: Plenty of choices for food during lunch and breakfast. Excellent meals: So much tasty food. Diverse kinds of drinks, especially liquors; delicious cocktails. Very comfortable seat which could become flat-bed. Clean toilet. In-flight entertainment with lots of movies. Friendly, attentive and enthusiastic flight attendants. Small issue: Menu should state which food is spicy. I accidentally ordered some spicy food while I could not eat spicy.
RouteParis to Hanoi
Date FlownOctober 2019

"I was met with a grunt"

Not Verified | Our trip from Sydney to Ho Chi Minh on 5th October was excellent, service and food outstanding. On our return flight to Sydney on the 14th October our plane from Da Nang was late and so we arrived with less than 45 mins to run from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 to meet our international connection. I found it strange that there was no one from the airline to meet or at least guide us in the right running direction. No mention of how to get to to Terminal 2 in their inflight mag as well. We were on our own. Taking my seat I was met with a grunt and frown by our cabin supervisor, she directed us with a finger point to where we should stow our luggage. As the dinner service went around they eventually ran out of food and I was offered noodles. So no food for me.
RouteHo Chi Minh to Sydney
Date FlownOctober 2019

"unacceptable behaviour"

(Taiwan)

Not Verified | Denied Boarding on my Flight from Taipei to Hanoi because I wasn't in possession of a return ticket. It was my mistake not having a return ticket. Within the previous 24 month I flew 20+ time to Vietnam and never experienced this problem. But I want to complain about the very rude Vietnam Airlines Staff at the Taoyuan International Airport. I didn't reply to my questions regards changing the flight ticket to another flight or if the ticket was still valid after this particular now show. He didn't provide any service hotline (the airport doesn't have a VN Service counter), nor did he try to help to solve this issue. I told him how unfriendly he is and was asking for his real name in order to file a complain. He only said Spencer. Holding my phone in my hand he suddenly accused me of taking a picture of him and and screamed police. The police came and I was able to proof that I didn't take any picture. Meanwhile the flight was gone of course, I still didn't had any service phone number. Even the police just shook their heads. Absolutely unacceptable behaviour of a customer service agent. Quite satisfied with Vietnam Airlines during the last years, this will be a 0/10 rating, although it's not related to the actual flight experience.
RouteTaipei to Hanoi
Date FlownJune 2019

"dimmed out the windows"

Sydney to Ho Chi Minh City on Boeing 787. They dimmed out the windows after 15 mins of flying and opened them with 10 mins to landing. And this was a daytime flight dep at 10.15am. Why do that? Or why not advise of the airline’s policy when I pay for a window seat? Hence the lower score from me. The rest was quite good and plenty of leg room was good for long haul. Though cabin crew was young and inexperienced. VN has some ground to cover to catch up with leading Asian airlines.
RouteSydney to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"I think it is worth the money"

Not Verified | Melbourne to Ho Chi Minh City. Ground service depends which airport your in, with Melbourne its just average, with Ho chi minh it could be really slow or really fast. I think it is worth the money because when I looked it was about the 2nd cheapest airline and with my point of view that is were it should be. Seat was pretty comfortable for a domestic and 1-2 hour flight I wouldn't recommend for any longer flight. The food was okay but only had a very small choice. For my flight only fish and fried noodles but they had a large variety of drinks. The in-flight entertainment the screen was only touch screen and they only had wifi connectivity on the new aircraft.
RouteMelbourne to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"it was a very stressful voyage"

Trip Verified | Sydney to London via Hanoi. I had many issues with all the flights. First of all they were nearly all delayed. One was delayed for about 4-5 hours and we were left in Hanoi without any information. They said the plane had a technical fault and wouldn't even give us a time of takeoff. It was actually a bit scary as the flight information was removed from all the flight screens. Warm beer was served to us! Once we arrived in London, when I got home I found my luggage completely soaked and everything needed to be rewashed and afew items damaged. On my return leg I had a long layover in Hanoi so requested to have my luggage delivered there as I was concerned it would get soaked again. They ended up not being able to find our luggage in Hanoi. After a very nervious and long layover and many many calls throughout the long layover, they found our baggage at the airport. The only reason I am giving them a 2nd point is the service on the plane was acceptable. Apart from that, it was a very stressful voyage. My complaints to their complaints department fell on deaf ears and nothing was done about it. I would never fly with them again and advise to avoid.
RouteSydney to London via Hanoi