Vietnam Airlines

"I was met with a grunt"

Not Verified | Our trip from Sydney to Ho Chi Minh on 5th October was excellent, service and food outstanding. On our return flight to Sydney on the 14th October our plane from Da Nang was late and so we arrived with less than 45 mins to run from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 to meet our international connection. I found it strange that there was no one from the airline to meet or at least guide us in the right running direction. No mention of how to get to to Terminal 2 in their inflight mag as well. We were on our own. Taking my seat I was met with a grunt and frown by our cabin supervisor, she directed us with a finger point to where we should stow our luggage. As the dinner service went around they eventually ran out of food and I was offered noodles. So no food for me.
RouteHo Chi Minh to Sydney
Date FlownOctober 2019

"unacceptable behaviour"

(Taiwan)

Not Verified | Denied Boarding on my Flight from Taipei to Hanoi because I wasn't in possession of a return ticket. It was my mistake not having a return ticket. Within the previous 24 month I flew 20+ time to Vietnam and never experienced this problem. But I want to complain about the very rude Vietnam Airlines Staff at the Taoyuan International Airport. I didn't reply to my questions regards changing the flight ticket to another flight or if the ticket was still valid after this particular now show. He didn't provide any service hotline (the airport doesn't have a VN Service counter), nor did he try to help to solve this issue. I told him how unfriendly he is and was asking for his real name in order to file a complain. He only said Spencer. Holding my phone in my hand he suddenly accused me of taking a picture of him and and screamed police. The police came and I was able to proof that I didn't take any picture. Meanwhile the flight was gone of course, I still didn't had any service phone number. Even the police just shook their heads. Absolutely unacceptable behaviour of a customer service agent. Quite satisfied with Vietnam Airlines during the last years, this will be a 0/10 rating, although it's not related to the actual flight experience.
RouteTaipei to Hanoi
Date FlownJune 2019

"dimmed out the windows"

Sydney to Ho Chi Minh City on Boeing 787. They dimmed out the windows after 15 mins of flying and opened them with 10 mins to landing. And this was a daytime flight dep at 10.15am. Why do that? Or why not advise of the airline’s policy when I pay for a window seat? Hence the lower score from me. The rest was quite good and plenty of leg room was good for long haul. Though cabin crew was young and inexperienced. VN has some ground to cover to catch up with leading Asian airlines.
RouteSydney to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"I think it is worth the money"

Not Verified | Melbourne to Ho Chi Minh City. Ground service depends which airport your in, with Melbourne its just average, with Ho chi minh it could be really slow or really fast. I think it is worth the money because when I looked it was about the 2nd cheapest airline and with my point of view that is were it should be. Seat was pretty comfortable for a domestic and 1-2 hour flight I wouldn't recommend for any longer flight. The food was okay but only had a very small choice. For my flight only fish and fried noodles but they had a large variety of drinks. The in-flight entertainment the screen was only touch screen and they only had wifi connectivity on the new aircraft.
RouteMelbourne to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"it was a very stressful voyage"

Trip Verified | Sydney to London via Hanoi. I had many issues with all the flights. First of all they were nearly all delayed. One was delayed for about 4-5 hours and we were left in Hanoi without any information. They said the plane had a technical fault and wouldn't even give us a time of takeoff. It was actually a bit scary as the flight information was removed from all the flight screens. Warm beer was served to us! Once we arrived in London, when I got home I found my luggage completely soaked and everything needed to be rewashed and afew items damaged. On my return leg I had a long layover in Hanoi so requested to have my luggage delivered there as I was concerned it would get soaked again. They ended up not being able to find our luggage in Hanoi. After a very nervious and long layover and many many calls throughout the long layover, they found our baggage at the airport. The only reason I am giving them a 2nd point is the service on the plane was acceptable. Apart from that, it was a very stressful voyage. My complaints to their complaints department fell on deaf ears and nothing was done about it. I would never fly with them again and advise to avoid.
RouteSydney to London via Hanoi
Date FlownJuly 2019

"Good, punctual airline"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | 30 Aug 2019 Hue-Saigon on VN-airlines most frequent aircraft, the A321. Despite a (wrongly forecasted) heavy rain, the flight was early. Check-in took seconds, but one can only check in 120 minutes prior to flight. In larger cities you can check-in anytime on the same day, and so should it be as staff in Airport are available. A stupid cost saving measure. Online Check In is not possible. Had 37 kg luggage but was neither notified nor reminded that it was 7 kg over my allowance. They just silently accepted. Had big hand-luggage as well. Lounge provided, though very basic without any hot dishes. Food onboard were 3 very tiny, tired, cold, open sandwiches. Drink service and FAs were excellent. A Miss Giang took care of me with pleasure and passion. Gate bridge in Saigon appreciated. Luggage arrived on belt within 3-4 Minutes after we left the aircraft. Amazing. Good, punctual airline, dull colours onboard, nice, soft, huge classic business seats. Aircraft was leased from Cambodia Angkor Air with their inflight magazines onboard. IFE not connected.
RouteHue to Ho Chi Minh City

"incorrect or misinformation"

Trip Verified | For two days Saturday 24 and Sunday 25 August we were at the airport to board our direct flight from Sydney to Hanoi. On both days the flight was cancelled. Like all passengers we were subjected to incorrect or misinformation or just lies about when this flight VN 786 was going to leave. Now we are told that we have been booked on a flight to HO Chi Minh tomorrow with no confirmation of our on flight to Hanoi. This has been a public relations debacle for Vietnam Airlines their lack of honesty or even communication with passengers as to the likely outcome of the issue has been nothing short of horrible. No ground crew to properly explain and assist passengers you cant just leave to Qantas staff to take all the heat. The final insult was the presence of 6 uniformed police offices at the loading bay to assist with possible crowd control. So disappointing given very good flights last year.
RouteSydney to Hanoi

"treated with respect"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Flew domestic Saigon to Hue 20th Aug. 2019 on their A321. Check-in SGN took 1 Minute (yes!), They stopped priority track in Security screening for Business Class, a major downgrade. Lounge access (Lotus Lounge) given for at least 6 hours as I arrived early from international connection. Lounge was fine, plenty of supplies, though neither luxury foods nor drinks. Baggage handled well. Onboard, I was treated with respect and humble attitude by FAs. Had a pizza for dinner with some Halida beers (my local favorite). Only 8 seats in business class of which 6 was taken. Huge, classical business class seats were very good and soft. In conclusion, no issues, though no extravagancy. Fast track. Affordable ticket, some 130 USD return trip. 32 Minutes delayed departure (arrived 20 Min. late). Airbridge provided in Saigon gives an extra point, otherwise should only be 7/10.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Hue

"they board us by bus"

Trip Verified | Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City. I fly with Vietnam Airlines a lot, I am their Gold Level frequent flyer. I always like the staff consideration, the food and to some extend the comfort of the cabin. However, there are 2 things that they really need to improve. They use too many times the bus to bring the customer from gate to the airplane. I got a bad experience today. It is 35+ degree in Hanoi and they board us by bus. As the sky priority customer, I got to board first. There is a stairs to bring us from gate to the bus. The problem is that I have to wait under the heat for about 5 minute before the bus arrive. This should not be the way an airline should treat its customer. Entertainment on aircraft is quite poor on a 2 hour domestic flight for A321 aircraft.
RouteHanoi to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownAugust 2019

"we landed almost an hour late"

Trip Verified | Trying unsuccessfully 3 times to do on-line check-in for my flight Ho Chi Minh City to Sydney, I called Vietnam Airlines. But my request must have confused the person answering the phone as I was put on hold for 8 minutes. My sim card balance expired. I then tried emailing the airline at 10am. When I returned to Australia I found that the reply had been received at 4.04pm, after I’d packed my laptop into my bag to head to the airport. Six hours for a reply? It told me that there was a problem with the VNA on-line check in. But there was no message on the VNA website to that effect. At the airport I went to Ticketing who told me the flight was almost full. For a special price of only AUD$180 I purchased an upgrade to premium economy. Boarding lounge 27 was full of intending passengers at the boarding time of 7.55 pm for the 8.15 departure and the Boeing 787-9 was waiting at the air bridge. Then at 8.20, ground staff told everyone to move to gate 22. After arriving there, we sat and waited with no explanation forthcoming. 20 minutes later, buses arrived to transport passengers to the aircraft which was parked a considerable distance from the terminal. Still no explanation. On board we saw the safety video with inaudible sound again. In fact, most of the cabin announcements were inaudible. No aircraft movement until 9.38 with take off at 9.47 – 92 minutes late. Still no explanation. The aircraft could not make up such a late departure so our landing slot at SYD was lost. We landed 0906, almost an hour late. Premium economy was good value at the special price. Better meals and service, large, reclining seat, a lot more leg room, but the same In Flight Entertainment which is poor when compared with other airlines. Not much on this flight scored any points for Vietnam Airlines.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Sydney