Vietnam Airlines

"good for the price you paid"

Trip Verified | Fukuoka to Singapore via Ho Chi Minh. I was lucky, it's not a full flight despite around NY holiday on 6 Jan, I got 3 seats for my self. Cabin crew were fine and polite. Food is not bad. They have 3 toilets for A321 and quite clean. But A321 type has no personal IFE. Overall it is good for the price you paid.
RouteFukuoka to Singapore via Ho Chi Minh
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"blankets are not washed"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Hanoi. Flown business many times with Vietnam and staff always polite and efficient. Planes always on time. Only gripe - and it keeps happening - is that the blankets are not washed just placed into a fresh plastic packet. This trip I opened the plastic and crumbs fell out. Not great.
RouteSydney to Hanoi
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"luggage failed to arrive"

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Ho Chi Minh City. I recently had a flight with Vietnam airlines where my luggage failed to arrive at my destination. When referred to the Customer Services I received no help whatsoever! After calling and e-mailing for days there was still no reply. Although it was Christmas and I could not give my Family their gifts and had to buy new clothes, Vietnam Airlines refuses to compensate me.
RouteFrankfurt to Ho Chi Minh City

"I missed the flight"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | I missed the flight from Seoul to Ho chi Minh city coz many reason, the main point is we were at the gate after boarding time and after all things happened, only ground handling show off to deal with everything, there is nobody from Vietnam Airlines appeared there to assist there clients. After ground handling staffs did every thing to take us out from departure gate to departure lobby, they said now everything is done. We were afraid of and asked them how to go back Vietnam, they said contact Vietnam airlines or whatever to go back, their duty is over. That’s it and they just left. We were so disappointment, their guests is not on board and they just dont care.
AircraftA320/321
RouteSeoul to Ho chi Minh city

"2 hours delay"

Trip Verified | Ho Chi Minh city to Phu Quoc. 2 hours delay is not acceptable when visiting a destination only two days, I was planning to check in to my hotel at 12pm but the flight departed at 12:20.
RouteHo Chi Minh city to Phu Quoc

"eventless but OK trip"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Saigon to Huế on their A321. On time. Very cheap ticket, around 32 USD. No FFP miles were given, but other services included, inclusive of luggage provision. Schedule changed a bit a month prior to departure, but this was clearly informed by email. Fast check-in. Bus gating in both ends is not my cup of tea. Onboard eventless but OK trip. Soft drinks provided to all. No personal IFE. Given exit row seat upon request at check in..
RouteSaigon to Huế
Date FlownDecember 2018

"most appalling customer service ever"

Trip Verified | I flew on the 25th November and was rewarded by the most appalling customer service ever. Due to a severe tropical storm (which they must have known about, before we left Hanoi), we were forced to land for a refuelling stop at Cam Rang. On that flight, we were offered a drink of water and a snack. As the initial flight duration was extended, nothing further was offered. We took off again for HCM. We were told to prepare for landing, which seemed to take a very long time, only to be told that we were heading back to Can Ramh. The cabin crew continued to sit at the back of the aircraft, offering no food, or drink. Having left at 14.00, we landed at said airport at 10.30 pm! Once we left the aircraft, we were given no voucher for food, no real information and no offer of accommodation. Only when I became unwell, was I told that our flight had now been cancelled and would not leave until 7.00, the following morning. Eventually, someone turned up with blankets - no announcement - and a free for all ensued. The following morning saw me being told, by a friendly passenger, that my flight was being called and that I had to check-in again. Only then, did I discover that my luggage had been removed from the aircraft and had been held 'securely'. It was retrieved for me and I boarded my flight - still without the offer of food, or drink (although some bottles of water had been offered the previous evening, along with cold noodles). At no point was an apology offered. Despite me submitting a photo of my (replacement) boarding card and details of my flight from hell, I am still waiting for Vietnam Airlines to acknowledge that there has been an issue for which they need firstly to apologise and, secondly, to offer some form of compensation. In my opinion, Vietnam Airlines can, in no way, be considered four star!
RouteHanoi to Ho Chi Minh City

"lack of communication"

Trip Verified | Ho Chi Minh to Phu Quoc. We have flown international (Paris - Hanoi) and domestic (4 domestic flights) with Vietnam Airlines. The Paris - Hanoi flight was fine and comfortable, lots of legroom, inflight entertainment, food and beverages. The domestic flights felt (A321) as if you were riding in a roller coaster. It seems as if the pilots don't care making strong descents, steep sideways turns etc. Every landing was hard. The staff are very friendly but also very young, inexperienced and speak poor English. The lack of communication and poor English doesn't really make you feel at home. We also had a short flight with Malaysian Airlines which was way more steady and stable.
RouteHo Chi Minh to Phu Quoc
Date FlownNovember 2018

"more legroom than most airlines"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | Singapore to Hanoi. Boarding was quick and efficient, as expected at Changi. Typical economy seats but more legroom than most airlines. Hot towels provided after take off, with a prompt bar service complete with a packet of nuts. There seems to be competition between airlines to reduce the size of tumblers provided. Meal service followed quickly, with a choice of two eastern meals. A nice touch was a photograph of the two meals offered for those not familiar with eastern food. Quality was good. Drinks were offered with the meal, and there was a wine top up run during the meal. This was my first experience of Vietnam Airlines, and I was generally impressed. It is worth noting that Vietnam have added a third toilet at the back of this stretched A320.
RouteSingapore to Hanoi
Date FlownNovember 2018

"I could upgrade my ticket"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Ho Chi Min City to Shanghai. Using Optiontown, I could upgrade my ticket to business class at a very affordable price. Sadly, my flight departed early in the morning so there was no priority lane at the immigration area at the airport. I have flown with Vietnam Airlines for so many times, so I knew what to expect; nevertheless, this was the fist time I flew with them in business class on an A350. The aircraft was fresh and clean, but the staggered seat was not very great though compared to the herringbone ones on B787 or the newer A350. Menus for breakfast were distributed, but the breakfast itself didn't have many options. Meal quality was good enough. Throughout the flight, I could see the presence of cabin attendance quite frequently to check if passengers needed anything. In-flight entertainment was not very various and updated, as I had watched all the movies presented in the system a long time ago. Overall, it was a slightly better product than other airlines operating on the same route.
AircraftA350-900