Vietnam Airlines

"complaint was regarding the food"

Trip Verified | Hanoi to London. The main complaint was regarding the food, we did not eat a simple thing. Not much leg space either. We did not have any choice of aircraft due to going on a organised tour.
RouteHanoi to London
Date FlownJune 2019

"Good service"

(Vietnam)

Not Verified | Good service. Seats are enough comfortable. Food were average with rice cake. Staff were not bad and pilot is also good. Smooth landing in Tan Son Nhat and good takeoff in Hai Phong.
RouteHai Phong to Ho Chi Minh
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"on board services were excellent"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | I flew with Vietnam Airlines between Hanoi and Saigon 4 times in the last two years. This time, the check-in was very quick since I have Sky Priority pass. However, it took around 30 mins to clear the security check. This flight was delayed for 15 minutes (due to prior late arrival), but the announcement was clear. This did not bring me any troubles, and I have not seen any serious (at least 20 mins) delays from Vietnam Airlines even though SGN is over crowded. The on board services were excellent, Hot meal was offered as the flight was at noon. Attendants were very friendly, I asked for another hot meal and they accepted! Sadly, the public screen was used to show the inflight safety instruction, it would have been better if it shown the position of the aircraft during the whole flight. Sky Priority made the baggage claim so quickly. I just need to wait for 4-5 suitcases. Overall, a great experience.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Hanoi
Date FlownJune 2019

"had to pay a rerouting fee"

Trip Verified | My partner and I had a terrible experience with Vietnam Airlines flying from Hanoi to London. We had bought a ticket from London to Saigon, then Saigon to Hanoi, then Hanoi to London. Instead of flying Saigon to Hanoi, we bought two extra flights so we could stop by Da Nang as well. When we arrived in Hanoi for our flight home, we were told we had to pay a rerouting fee because we did not take the Saigon to Hanoi flight. We mentioned that we had bought two extra flights with the airline and managed to check in online for our flight back to London with no mention of a fee. The airline staff insisted we had to pay a fee or not fly so we said we’d pay. The rerouting fee was over £200 each! We had no choice but to pay an extra £400+ because we wanted to get home. They haven’t responded to our emails since. Aside from this, the staff on the flight were lovely as usual and the flight itself was pleasant.
RouteHanoi to London
Date FlownMarch 2019

"friendly but just incompetent"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Ho Chi Minh City. Able to make Premium Economy feel like Economy Minus! I fly on a weekly basis for work, so I would say I have quite some reference material. Going for a personal trip with Vietnam Airlines last week, I had good expectations because of there membership of the Skyteam alliance. However, from the booking onward, they continued to disappoint. First of all the customer service was not able to understand my straightforward question in English, and I eventually gave up. The plane was a new A350, so that looked good and the seat was comfortable. However, the inflight entertainment is the worst I have seen in the last 10 years. Very limited amount of movies, but the worst of all is that they played Advertisements the almost the whole flight - you just cannot believe it. Also, while having your own screen, they put on a 'candid camera show' for all screens, for over half an hour. Absolutely terrible, this is so far below par. Cabin crew was friendly, but just incompetent. Poor English, ignoring call-signs throughout. Terrible experience on almost all levels and disappointing for Skyteam. Many improvements needed! Hope they do something about it, because they do have the potential with the new planes (that's why I give 2/10)!
RouteSingapore to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownMay 2019

"Cabin staff routinely ignore attendant calls"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Hanoi. I have worked in Vietnam for more than 10 years. I noted that the Vietnam CAA recently released a report stating VNA fights were on time more than 75% of the time. My experience makes me doubt this statistic, for domestic flights. On international flights the entertainment system frequently had problems. On international flights the toilets are never cleaned unless a passenger complains. Cabin staff routinely ignore attendant calls. I fly with VNA because it is the only non stop service available.
RouteSydney to Hanoi
Date FlownMay 2019

"Flight time changed 5 times"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Ho Chi Minh City. I have never had a bad experience with an airline until now. Food rating - very low, they only had one option available because they ran out of the other option. Flight time changed 5 times - very inconvenient and no straight forward response was given. After requesting an aisle seat, they offered very little help and told me it’s not their problem.
RouteMelbourne to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownApril 2019

"ended up being delayed 3 consecutive times"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Nha Trang to Ho Chi Minh City with Vietnam Airlines. I must give the lowest scores on every ranking that I can for this awful airline. I had to pay douple the price compared with other cheap airlines to ensure the departure time and ended up being delayed 3 consecutive times, which made me cancel my meeting after that. A laugh and short explanation were all I receive from its employees for its delay.
RouteNha Trang to Ho Chi Minh City

"Seats comfortable enough"

Trip Verified | Flew with Vietnam Airlines from Sydney to Hanoi, then Ho Chi Minh City to Sydney, flying on the 787. Planes were new and clean, and food was fine. The flight attendants were efficient and mostly friendly. Seats comfortable enough. The TV touch screen was easy to navigate, but the selection of movies wasn't that good. Enough to keep you occupied, but a wider variety would have been better. Both flights left a little late and arrived early. Overall, I found Vietnam Airlines to be quite good overall, I'd fly again if there were competitive prices. If it weren't for the entertainment, I'd rate this airline much highter.
RouteSydney to Hanoi

"entertainment very limited"

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Hanoi. Upgrade from Premium Economy to business must be requested 2 days in advance and then picked up at the counter. I found the food on board very economical. The collection of drinks in the kitchen difficult, since staff barely visible and then busy. First meal metal cutlery, breakfast only plastic. My seats was in need of renovation and I found the entertainment very limited and very old movies. Internet not available on board. DE: Upgrade von Premium Eco in die Business muss 2 Tage vorher beantragt wrrden und dann am Schalter der VN abgeholt werden... ein Upgrade wie bei anderen Airlines am Check-In nur gegen Bezahlung möglich. Wozu man 100.000. Milen hat...keine Ahnung. Die Verpflegung an Bord ist sehr sparsam. Das Abholen von Getränken in der Küche sehr schwierig, da Personal kaum sichtbar und dann mit sich beschäftigt ist. Unkoordinierter Service, erste Mahlzeit Metallbesteck, Frühstück nur noch Plastik. Sitze sind wie überall auch sanierungsbedürftig, sehr abgenutzt. Das Unterhaltungsprogramm sehr eingeschränkt und sehr alte Filme. Internet nicht an Bord verfügbar.
RouteFrankfurt to Hanoi