VietJet Air

"went quite smoothly"

(South Africa)

Flight went quite smoothly considering the chaotic check in process. People complain and stress over nothing really. Just ensure you get to the airport 90min before departure and you will be on your flight.
RouteHo chi Minh to Hanoi
Date FlownOctober 2015

"customer service is horrible"

The customer service is horrible and the professionalism is not there. I traveled VietJet from SGN Ho Chi Minh City - CXR (Nha Trang) for a business trip. Before my flight, I went to VietJet Air online to check-in, after checking in online, I was instructed to print out the boarding pass and go directly to the gate. The printed boarding pass stated "Please be at the gate at least 10 minutes before departure." I arrived at Tan Son Nhat 40 minutes before departure and went to the gate. When I got to the boarding gate they said my boarding pass is not valid. They then continue to say It is only a "seat selection". They sent me back to the check-in counter to check in. By that time, they have already closed the flight and did not accept any passenger. I was furious and demanded a resolution. I angrily asked, "If this is not a valid boarding pass, then why is there an online check-in option on your website? Why does my printed boarding pass states 'Boarding Pass/The len may bay"? They had no answer for my questions. The only other option they gave me was to go on the next flight which was available at 6-7PM. I demanded a refund but they refused to give me. I had to go to Vietnam Airlines to buy a full fare 1 way ticket to CXR Nha Trang. VietJet Customer service is horrible.
RouteSGN to CXR
Date FlownOctober 2015

"almost all flights delayed"

This airline is known locally in Vietnam as Delayjet for a reason - almost all flights are delayed, and we're talking about several hours delay here, not 15 minutes. My flights were all delayed from 4-10 hours with no compensation offered, and VietJet Air refused to cancel and refund my reservation, so I could fly a real airline instead. I'm a frequent flyer on low-cost airlines, but this is truly the worst airline ever. Avoid at all costs; if you're tight on money, take a bus - it will bring you to the destination faster than Vietjet anyway.
RouteSGN to DAD
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"VietJet is cheaper than the rest"

VietJet Air is a cheap airline, cheaper than the rest, so customers should not expect world class performance. I can fly from Ho Chi Minh City to Bangkok for £32, a fraction of the price of other airlines. If you want to save your money, fly VietJet, if not, fly a better known airline and pay 3 times the price.
RouteSaigon to Bangkok
Date FlownJanuary 2015

"no one could find the cabin crew"

(South Korea)

We flew VietJet Air from Hanoi to Seoul with VietJet Air, check-in was fine, but flight was delayed (without notifying anyone) by 3 hours because no one could find the cabin crew? We were literally the last flight of the day and could see our plane but were not allowed to board. This seems like a common trait of the airline. We took 45 minutes longer than the stated flying time to arrive at our destination, and to finish a horrendous trip off in style, we sat on the plane for another hour once we had landed while the same annoying song was blasted again and again.
RouteHanoi to Seoul
Date FlownAugust 2015

"it wasn't the worst flight"

(South Korea)

Purchased these VietJet Air tickets for a trip that was the start of summer vacation week in Korea. 300USD cheaper than Korean Air, Asiana Airlines or Vietnam Airlines, even with bags and an exit row seat included. The departing flight boarded late, but arrived ahead of schedule. Unfortunately, during boarding, there wasn't air conditioning until we taxied away from the gate. The plane was clean, but I couldn't imagine sitting in a normal row. The legroom looked painfully small. Exit row was ample. During food/beverage service, they covered the entire plane but skipped our entire exit row. I rang the bell and the attendant asked me abruptly, "What happened?" Food and beverage seems cheap enough, until they add 1 USD to every single item as an international surcharge. On the return flight HAN-ICN, it's the last flight out of the airport at 1:45am. Somehow, our crew was an hour late and we didn't depart until 3am. Where they were, who knows, but it was odd. I also traveled domestically on VietJet DAD-HAN. The plane was a bit older, but felt more spacious (still an A320). The check-in area is as described, a mad house of tour groups carrying an obscene amount of bags and boxes. The actual flight was unremarkable. If price is the absolute most important factor, choose VietJet. It wasn't the worst flight, but I can see why I would pay the 200 extra for even Vietnam Airlines from Seoul.
RouteICN to HAN
Date FlownJuly 2015

"nothing positive to say"

(Belgium)

We booked a flight with VietJet Air from Da Nang to Hanoi (because they were the cheapest airline during that time). The check-in process was fine. Nothing negative to say about that. Unfortunately, our flight was delayed 2 hours. Strange thing : all flights of VietJet Air during that evening were delayed. Why is it so difficult for them to fly on time? Boarding was very chaotic. This is not entirely the fault of the airline or the ground staff, but this was one of the worst boardings I've ever had. After boarding, the flight attendents (they look more like some students going to the beach than professional flight attendants) did some announcements in English. Our flight left with 2 hours 30 delay and no real apologies. During the flight, the crew refused to turn the airconditioning down (even after complaints of passengers). It was very hot inside the aircraft, so I was happy that the flight only took 1 hour. There is nothing positive to say about this flight. Unless the price difference is too high, I would fly Jetstar Pacific or Vietnam Airlines next time.
RouteDa Nang to Hanoi

(Vietnam)

My flight from HCMC to Nha Trang was delayed by two hours citing technical problem. The return flight from Nha Trang to HCMC was cancelled an hour before the departure time which was 2300. The staff on duty had no answers to questions being raised by passengers. They finally offered a compensation of $20 per passengers (one way taxi fare to reach Nha Trang city) and the flight next morning. Luckily I got seats on a later flight as we were travelling with an infant, though that was also delayed by two hours. The aircraft are new, cabin crew is energetic and helpful. Ground staff is also cooperative. Fares are lower compared to other airlines. Would not recommend if you have any connecting flights, business or other serious matters scheduled.
RouteNhat Trang to Ho Chi Minh City

(Taiwan)

The plane was a bit old and the seat was usual for a LCC. The cabin service was good, the crews were friendly and energetic. The price was very cheap. I will fly them again if they have their new route from TPE to HAN.
RouteTPE to SGN
Date FlownJanuary 2015

VietJet Air customer review

Flight Bangkok-Hanoi was great: new plane, no problems, friendly staff. Facing Vietjet in Hanoi changed everything. Flight was at 10.05AM and arrived early at 7AM Noi Bai Airport to avoid the morning traffic. We were refused a check in, returned at 8AM. Self-Check in didn't work - bar code scanner wasn't available. Had no choice but to "line up" with Vietnamese people - who don’t know what the word “queue” means. Be prepared for people shamelessly cutting in line, squishing between you and the counter and crawling under the stanchion. Pushing you away and even if you are at the check in counter, standing just next to you. Vietjet encourages the behavior because the staff at the counter try to serve 3 people at once, leading to chaos and frustration. I am a frequent low cost flyer, never had problems with my luggage. However, my 8.5kg cabin bag was "too heavy" and lady at the counter wanted to count all my bags: my purse, my boyfriends camera bag, etc. She wanted me and my boyfriend to take only one bag each on the plane. I told her that this is ridiculous and we didn't have any problems in BKK, and no other airline does this. She couldn't speak English. Made us pay 330 000 VND for one bag check-in. Moved to our gate, realized during boarding that the plane was a n old BH Air plane from Ukraine. Plane in Bangkok was a new A320-300. Very uncomfortable and I couldn't sleep because Vietnamese people and FA kept running around, bumping into my aisle seat. Every seat was taken, plane was super full and loud. Food I pre-booked was gross, so I asked the FA politely to put it away so I can put up my tray and have more space. She simply said: "Later." During landing, people and kids were running around and kneeling on their seat to look out the window - FA didn't say anything. Really disappointed and ruined my whole trip.
AircraftAirbus A320-200